Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Extra Intestinal Manifestations » Nose/Sinuses » Crohn's Disease and nasal sores

12-13-2011, 06:45 AM   #31
Paddy Holmes

My Support Groups:
Has anyone else had trouble with really dry skin on their knuckles? It may be to do with the cold weather we're having but it's JUST the knuckles...and I use cream every night and rubber gloves...
What the **** am I doing moaning about dry skin? Up very half hour last night. Feeling knackered...lovely to share with you all, sorry to be a moaner xx
12-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #32
David
Co-Founder

Has anyone else had trouble with really dry skin on their knuckles? It may be to do with the cold weather we're having but it's JUST the knuckles.
Dry skin on the knuckles is actually a common symptom of bulimia. Obviously that's not what you have, but that tells me it's a deficiency is something so I did some research. this site feels it's a deficiency in essential fatty acids. Have you thought of maybe trying some salmon oil or krill oil capsules?
12-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #33
Paddy Holmes

My Support Groups:
Thanks David for your reply, useful tip, I do take supplements but may have to start taking some oil capsules. My husband routinely takes Cod Liver Oil, is that any good?
Our bodies are so complex that it amazes me that some of the symptoms are related to Crohns...rotten disease. Do you know if much reseach is going on?
many thanks again...it's so good to be talking to people who know what we're all going through!
12-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #34
David
Co-Founder

No, stay away from cod liver oil. It's way too high in vitamin A which is bad for most Crohnies. Krill oil (first choice) or a high quality salmon oil is where it's at.

Tons of research is going on for Crohn's Disease and I feel like slow progress is being made. With that said, I also feel that a lot of symptoms related to Crohn's are due to vitamin and mineral deficiencies and the answers are already out there, we just have to find them and sift through the junk.
12-27-2011, 12:25 AM   #35
Jessi

My Support Groups:
I've had one in my right nostril for a week so far.

I get them several times a year, and they take forever to heal.

So it must be more than a Crohn's thing, but also a UC thing.

Dx'd with Psoriasis in 1993
Dx'd with Psoriatic Arthritis in 2004
Dx'd with Ulcerative Colitis on May 18, 2011

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain." ~Anon.
02-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #36
Stephy Chelle

My Support Groups:
Me too!! Again something I thought was separate. Weird!
Diagnoses thus far: intermediate colitis until camera pill test is done
02-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #37
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
i've always had nose sores, but they're certainly not as bad as they were, thank god!
02-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #38
Jessi

My Support Groups:
Just got back from my dermatology appointment. Apparently, the nose sores are part of a recent psoriasis flare. I have now 3 spots in my right nostril, both ear canals, my left eyelid, and the nape of the neck.

Doc says it's not common to get psoriasis in the nose, but it does happen. And in my case, it certainly did. The ears are also uncommon, but not so much as the nose.
03-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #39
Katelyn.S

I have sores in my nose right now, my right side is so bad I can't even blow my nose. Has anyone tried a humidifier to make them better, I know its really dry here this time of year.

Katelyn
03-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #40
jvancil

I actually have a hole in my nose! It started out as sores in each nostril and then went right through. I mentioned this to my last 2 GI doctors thinking it may be Crohn's related, but neither of them seemed to think it was. I'm so glad others with Crohns have had the nasal sores!!!!!
03-12-2012, 05:23 AM   #41
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
i think all gastro professionals should be obliged to read all this stuff regularly. i'm sure we can initiate them on some aspects of crohns.
03-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #42
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
I have a small crack/scar in my left nostril right at the top from one bout with sores in my nose (and yes, I pick too!).....I had one just a few weeks ago again, I also get cold sores and keep Zovirax on hand to help keep them from getting too bad.....I will use it in my nose too (nolt sure if you are supposed to!).....

When mine come on, they feel like a cold sore coming on - the tingly/numb feeling that comes with the activation of the virus.....]

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
03-16-2012, 04:30 AM   #43
Kip1

I have one too on my right side & not for the 1st time. Its going down now but started just before I started tapering off entocort.
My doc says it is related to the Crohn's as I have some narrowing which is causing bacteria & all sorts of nasties to back up in my GI tract & thats why & had the throat, mouth, tongue & nose sores.
So glad we have no special events to go to as it looks a bit yucky & although my friends & workmates know what the matter is the lady I sat next to on the train the other day couldnt move far enough away from me. Was quite funny really. If she had moved any further she would have been hanging out of the window lol.

04-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #44
Josephine

My Support Groups:
Is just like spot but with scrape on it or spot ? I get like blood spot inside. Crohns?

Sacroiliitis and add to grew list auto immune diseases.

Now on Lansprazole 15 mg And Gavin son 5mg-10mg 3a day.

Crohns from Oct 2007
Domperidone 10 mg -20 mg, Mebeverine 135 mg,
3 a day.
Balsalazide 750 mg 3 X3 a day on going.
Bone protection.

Azathioprine is not working, still waiting to find out what next. Still on low dosage Prednisolone

Mesalamine Enema

No Wheat

English my native language and have characterizes of dyslexia.
04-09-2012, 03:19 AM   #45
Kip1

It first comes out red then goes like an ulcer & can get yellow in it then scabs. Not good as its very sore.
04-09-2012, 04:46 AM   #46
lotte26

This is crazy! I've been getting them on and off for ages! I have them on both sides at the mo but worse on the right. It's caused me to start sleeping with my mouth open

-Charlotte

Crohn's disease since 2002, with multiple fistulae

25 May '11 : colostomy formed, 70cm bowel removed + 50cm ileum removed.

16 October 2015 - open parastomal hernia surgery to be performed

Past Failed Meds: Pentasa, azathioprine, methotrexate, Humira.

Current Meds: Humira, azathioprine, fluoxetine, Brevinor, Fish oil, melatonin
06-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #47
Jaano711
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
How bizarre. I get them to and like most of you I have never though they were crohns related. They seem to appear when I get run down.
06-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #48
KazT17

I have had them too. My GI said they are not crohns related but sounds like he was wrong. Has anyone been told that they are caused by crohns by their GI?

Crohn's diagnosed 2010
Ileostomy 2011.
Completion Proctectomy 2012
06-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #49
Jaano711
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Was just wondering if any of you get painful legs per flare up. I can usually tell when I'm about to take a crohns dive as my legs start throbbing in bed.

As for the nose sore I have only ever seen my GP with them and she just gives me antibiotics to clear them up.
06-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #50
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yes, a gp years ago told me leg pains and swelling are related to the crohns. mine swell to the point of getting stretch marks! I'm a little skinny one too so thats saying something. i just can't be on my legs for long. yes, and i too do have those sores up the nose, corners of outer eyes and corners of mouth too
06-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #51
David
Co-Founder

Painful legs can sometimes be a result of magnesium deficiency and the swelling can be a result of iodine deficiency.

A flare coming on can cause deficiency as it would lead to increased nutrient needs AND inflammation would lead to malabsorption. Diarrhea then makes matters even worse.

Spooky1, all those sores scream B vitamin deficiency (MAYBE iron but that would potentially be caused by an underlying B2 deficiency). For example, the sores on the corners of your mouth sound like Angular cheilitis (also called angular stomatitis). In people with Crohn's Disease, these are commonly caused by deficiency in one more more of the B vitamins. Same with the mouth sores. I'd strongly suggest discussing taking a quality complex B vitamin with your doctor.

When you talk to your doctor about this, print out and take this paper with you as not all doctors are going to know this. Then highlight this part:
For patients not responding to simple therapeutic measures, the next appropriate step is to arrange full hematological screening with measurements of hemoglobin, mean corpuscular volume, folate, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, serum iron, ferritin, transferrin, and fasting blood glucose. Nutritional deficiencies, especially of iron and B vitamins, are important in the development of angular cheilitis.
If you need to present the paper to your doctor, do so kindly. We all can get defensive and we want our doctors to feel comfortable working with us and learning alongside us, we can't expect them to know everything. Present it in a supportive way.

Crohn's Disease is characterized by malabsorption and nutrient deficiencies. Proper supplementation can make a world of difference in these extraintestinal manifestations.
06-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #52
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Wow, Thanks David,
I remember years ago my gastro bloke said, its a shame you live in cournwall county and not devon because if you lived in devon you could have b vitamins injected. I shall print the evidence and take it off to gastro bloke on Wednesday. thank god for this site, i've never had this much help because some of us never really get out to know other sufferers and their tips etc. Best forum ever, thanks
07-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #53
DCWeeza

I get little sores in my nose too..... I. Saw this thread and had to see if it was same thing as I get. And guess what? ????? It is the little things hurt and over stay their welcome.
07-27-2012, 03:29 AM   #54
k2smile76

This sounds all too familiar! I went to my gp and had it tested and it came back positive for golden staph :/ apparently we all have it in our noses and sometimes when there's a break in the skin, the infection can get in. Most normal people won't even notice anything and get no sores etc, but us crohnies with our low immune systems will always get the infection *sigh*
07-27-2012, 04:53 AM   #55
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
thats interesting info Smile, thanks. i have a couple at the moment!
07-31-2012, 04:43 PM   #56
Kiwi-Fiona

Well at least im not alone, i have a sore in my left nostril that is so annoying, though i was lone with this to.

Surgery: Right Hemicolectomy 2nd July 2012

Mercaptopurine 50 mg Daily

Pred 50 mg Daily

Nexium 40 mg Daily

B12 Injections every 3 months

Calcium

Vitamin D OsteVit-D

Swiss Womens Multivitamin

Pro-biotics
07-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #57
JudithC

My Support Groups:
Mine is in my right nostril. And you're right Kiwi, it's good to know that we're not alone with all these weird little oddities happening.

now:
Remicade
Vitamin D
Vitamin C

tried:
Entocort
Pentasa
Prednisone
07-31-2012, 09:23 PM   #58
SherryLynn

Mine doesnt discriminate, I get them on both sides! Actually I started getting them a few weeks, maybe a month before I was diagnosed. I had just never connected it to this until this thread. I get bumps on my head too, I wonder if its the same thing.
09-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #59
Ckt

What do you know??i was pretty sure the inflammation at the corners of my mouth were related to crohns as I always get them when flaring. But I've also had fissures in my nose at the same time with sores that are a big bother!
09-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #60
Lulubelle

My Support Groups:
HAD to chime in, although belatedly. Nasal sores, YUP...can't get rid of them sometimes! Lovely manifestation, huh? Lately, before bed, I have been using a Q-tip and adding a smidge of antibiotic ointment and it seems to help a little.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Extra Intestinal Manifestations » Nose/Sinuses » Crohn's Disease and nasal sores