Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Medical Marijuana for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis

01-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #61
ekay03
My dog has hands!

Stardust, I am so glad that the marijuana helped you! And living in Amsterdam gives you the option to experiment w/ different strains. Yes I agree that prednisone is terrible, but many of us have had to use it to get our disease under control.
Nexium
Buspar
Zoloft
amlodipine
clonidine
Ferrous Sulfate
Folic acid
multivitamin
Bentyl as needed
Lyrica x2 daily for pain
Norco as needed for pain
Ondansetron as needed for nausea
Miacalcin for the bones
That's a lot of stuff, but I feel good

Friend me: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=580468712
01-21-2012, 02:24 AM   #62
InitialLoss

Another new member for you guys to throw your information at!
I recently decided to take a more active approach to my disease and thought I'd start looking for different treaments. Ive gone through a couple since my diagnosis 3 years ago. None of them, I found, were helpful. In fact, the side-effects were often worse than the disease itself at the time. So for the past... year? Or close to it, I've decided to just leave it as is. I haven't seen my doctor in 5 or 6 months and for the first while I was coping just fine. But for the past 3 months my symptoms have been quite severe. I have had a lot of trouble sleeping due to pain and that has caused me more stress which in turn, of course, causes more pain. and there is the obvious... washroom issues... I had tried pot when I was in high school once but decided I'd leave it at that. I often carry the same attitude as my mother when it comes to the disease in that I won't let it ruin my life. I usually choose to try to ignore symptoms and go on with my day. I've found lately that this has been getting quite difficult. Going out with friends in the evenings usually means staying up later, getting less sleep and causing more pain in the mornings. I am often the driver in outings that include drinking as that also causes worse symptoms. I've been told by several people that marijuana may be something I could use to help with the worsening pain and other symptoms. I went to do further research and here you all are. More positive stories of how MM has helped you. If anyone has any advice it would all be greatly appreciated. MM is not something I'm super interested in but the only other truely beneficial treament I've heard of is Remicade and that is not even close to an option for me right now.

Please let me know. I'd love to be an active member of this forum. This thread and many others.
01-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #63
ekay03
My dog has hands!

Hi InitialLoss, I am glad you found us
Since I live in Texas it is not legal for me to partake in mmj. But you have come to the right place for firsthand information. Enjoy the forum
01-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #64
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Medical marijuana or Rat DNA infusion? Smoke a joint or eat a brownie. What have you got to lose? I find eating the marijuana most beneficial. Google "Rick Simpson Oil". I think that may be the holy grail.
01-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #65
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

MM is great for pain, stimulates appetite, helps relax me, doesn't whack me out like opiate pain pills, doesn't have the withdrawal or tolerance of opiates, helps me sleep etc.
01-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #66
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
MM isn't always appropriate to use on it's own. Sometimes a stronger medication is needed. In that circumstance, MM makes an excellent supplement and can greatly improve quality of life.
01-23-2012, 03:24 AM   #67
InitialLoss

Every medication I've tried or have seen my mom try have had side-effects that, in my opinion, are worse in several cases than the disease itself. I haven't tried anything recently and when i was trying treaments my symptoms werent so bad. Now that its progessed I'm looking for something that can manage my symptoms at the worst of times with minimal side effects. With my experiences with marijuana it really hasnt been that bad. I've tried it again recently and I do find it great when I'm in pain and I could even eat with more comfort. First good sleep have in weeks too. But still need to bring it up with my doctor and find a safer way of obtaining the stuff.
01-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #68
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

A nice Sativa during the day and indica for the evening. One of the safest substances known to man and in use for 2000+ years. No anal leakage, no suicidal thoughts, no risk of liver infection, no lymphoma, etc.
01-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #69
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

On a side note I went to my dispensary yesterday where they had concentrates and one hit provided the analgesic equivelant of 2 Vicodin and I slept like a baby.
01-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #70
ekay03
My dog has hands!

A nice Sativa during the day and indica for the evening. One of the safest substances known to man and in use for 2000+ years. No anal leakage, no suicidal thoughts, no risk of liver infection, no lymphoma, etc.
So nice that you live in Los Angeles. Here in Texas is is a crime!!! Stupid crime, but still a crime!
01-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #71
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Yeah that sucks. I lived in SC for a year where more than a 1/4 ounce is a felony. That's a day supply for someone who is super sick, eats it, juices raw, or has no responsibilities. It's still illegal in Los Angeles. There are only 5 people allowed under federal law to use cannabis and it's dirt weed grown by the US govt at the U of Mississippi. Crazy eh?
01-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #72
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Paying for it sucks though. Once u have grown a pound in your back yard in full sun in 4 months and spent maybe $200 for water and supplies not counting your time, it kills u to pay for it. It should be as cheap as chamomile tea, and can be .
01-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #73
KWalker

I don't take part in marijuana, and I have some views about it that I'll leave out. (I guess it all depends on who's taking it, how much, and activities during) but if it helps and people don't use it to get high, more power to you.

What's consider expensive? Because I know in Ontario you can get a gram for 10 bucks.
01-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #74
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Well like I said above more than $300 a lb is expensive. Same price here at the store. $10-$20 per gram at the stores in Los Angeles.
01-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #75
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Anyone on MJ for medicinal use only not recreational use? (IN Canada only) And a vaporizer? Not smoking it. Would be interested in your thoughts and how you are doing.
01-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #76
ekay03
My dog has hands!

Well like I said above more than $300 a lb is expensive. Same price here at the store. $10-$20 per gram at the stores in Los Angeles.
Oh my!! Yes that is expensive! And no insurance coverage. I know this isn't a political page, but I just need to say it. Make it legal and tax it and america will have plenty of money!!
01-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #77
InitialLoss

Its easily bought on the streets for 5-10 a gram around here but that isnt the point. What I would like to find and what anyone who uses it needs is a good safe way of getting it for a realistic price. If its something that could help me im going to give it a shot.
01-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #78
okhoney

My Support Groups:
I definitely see the benefits for Crohn's patients and have used it a couple times myself (not enough to see a major difference, but in retrospect it did help quiet things down a bit). As someone who is always VERY sensitive to the side effects of medications and has already run down the list of a good majority of the medications used to treat the disease, it definitely can't be any worse. I used to live in Colorado where there were more MM dispensaries than Starbucks, but now I'm in New York, where unfortunately it's not legal for medical use (which to me is bizzare). I truly hope that will change soon. I've never been the type to seek it out, but will partake if it's available. I'm currently on no medication right now and it would be nice to have something to help out with some of the symptoms that doesn't give me terrible side effects. I especially noticed that it helps with the stress, which for me at least is a huge trigger for a flare.

C'est la vie. Maybe someday soon NY will join the ranks of legal medical marijuana states. Here's to hoping.
01-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #79
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Its easily bought on the streets for 5-10 a gram around here but that isnt the point. What I would like to find and what anyone who uses it needs is a good safe way of getting it for a realistic price. If its something that could help me im going to give it a shot.
Grow yOur own is the best way. Is that an option for you? All u need is part of basement/cellar or garage or part of backyard. It's totally worth it if ur crohns symptoms affect the quality of life. I'll post the smoking granny video as soon as I can.
01-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #80
Stardust

Now i'm off medical marihuana, because i have exams for my study tomorrow, and my flare up is almost gone so it is okay. Marihuana can be a motivation killer I have noticed.
01-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #81
robbo87

My Support Groups:
This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I live in the UK so Cannabis is very much so Illegal, and I have no intentions of breaking the law. I have on about 3 occasions smoked a small amount whilst on a break in Amsterdam, and I have to say my symptoms did improve. For me stress seems to be the biggest problem in aggravating my crohn's so marijuana could possibly be a good thing for that. It's maybe not a perfect solution but it can't be any worse than being on 40mg of prednisolone. That stuff is the devil and turns me into a completely different person. so if medicinal marijuana was ever legalised in this country (theres no chance of it happening though imo...) It's something that would be worth a try.
omeprozol 40mg
codeine x4
laparimide
ferrous sulphate
folic acid

ileostomy, colostomic mucus fistula stoma. gastostromy after recent surgery

tried, prednisolone, pentasa, azathioprine and infliximab
02-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #82
Tintouk

I wish we had mm in the uk
02-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #83
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

I wish we had mm in the uk
Glad you found our forum, it would be great if you could give us more about your journey and do you have crohns or Colitis or IBD?
02-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #84
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK-S0...e_gdata_player
02-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #85
joelw07

im a 22 year old male who recently (within the past 6mths) found out that my unbearable stomach pains, vomiting, nausea and diarrhea was caused by crohn's disease. for over a year i suffered without knowing what the problem was and in one month i lost 38lbs which to date has been my worst attack to date. i was given pentasa, predisonome, and a few other drugs to deal with how severe my crohn's had become. the month i lost 38lbs ironically was also the month i was actually on the medication religously and never missed a meal, pill schedule or ate anything that would usually act up and was still the worst i've suffered. i was hospitalized twice in that same month as well for severe dehydration and loss of blood. a couple days after being released and doubled up on my medications i went to a friend's for a get together and was given "brownies" unknowingly... lol to my glee after about half hour or so the pain relief i got was incredible. i literally ate in that one go that night more than id eaten for both stays in the hospital. when i found out what was done i decided to try smoking when i would feel at my worst and to this date i have yet to take another pill. the meds prescribed did absolutely but made my pain worse but the 'herb' as its known where im from (lol) did everything my medication said it would plus much more! medical marijuana is a blessing and needs to be uplifted for its properties now as it was done many years ago when plantations of trees were a requirement of estates. sadly my country has not legalized in any way marijuana but i have belief this will soon change as it can only become more a necessity with each passing day to patients with sever pain issues etc... "Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction" Robert Marley
jah bless
02-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #86
David
Co-Founder

Welcome to the forum joel and thank you for sharing your anecdote! That's absolutely wonderful that mmj has made such a positive difference for you. But PLEASE be sure to work closely with your doctor to monitor your inflammation. While you may not be experiencing debilitating symptoms anymore, you may have smoldering inflammation in your intestines that can lead to all kinds of problems in the future if it isn't controlled.
02-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #87
Nicane

Hello all. I just spent the last half hour reading everything on here. I've seen this forum before, but never felt like I should get involved, mainly I think because I'm 17, and I think everyone else here is older.

But anyway, I have had Crohn's since I was 14 and also Auto-Immune Hepatitis since I was 15. I've been on and off with marijuana, mainly because of my parents and my girlfriends concern about it. I'm allowed to smoke it 4 times a year, which I don't like, but let me tell you... when I do, I couldn't possibly feel better. It's funny how you don't notice how uncomfortable you are or how much pain there is going on inside of you until you aren't feeling it anymore. When I smoke it, I smoke a lot, and the effects last about two days, since I have no tolerance to it anymore. It gets rid of my chronic headaches, I feel so relaxed, I can sleep, and it helps my bowel movements and gas.

I live in Mass, and at least marijuana has been decriminalized, but I think by the end of this year they will have medical marijuana available. Although I'm "underage" (won't be in a couple weeks), I want to ask and see what a couple people might think would be good methods to ease my girlfriend into allowing me to use marijuana more often, because the amount that it helps is so incredible compared to anything else.
02-10-2012, 12:54 AM   #88
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Does she see the difference in you after you smoke and how it makes you feel better? Does she know about the medicinal properties? Those may be some starting points. My wife has never smoked and I smoke daily. We are older and wiser though and know how to pick our battles. Do whatever you have to do to take care of your health as long as you aren't hurting anyone else. It's your right granted to you by the constitution. I've been smoking (vaping nowadays) for 20 years. I know 70 year olds who have been smoking for 40 years. They are happy and healthy old men and women. Good luck :-).
02-10-2012, 12:58 AM   #89
Nicane

She sees a massive difference, a massive improvement. She notices my energy finally climb to something that isn't deadbeat, she notices I don't get so sidetracked and bored because I don't have to capacity to focus because I'm so tired, she notices my motivation skyrocket, she notices my trips to the bathroom for the day or two decrease to about 1 or 2, compared to the 5-7 usual trips.

She knows the medicinal properties, how it can help, but she's still unwilling. Mainly because her fear of it being a gateway. I'm proving to her with each time she lets me that I can be okay, in fact I can be GREAT with smoking weed. I've had issues in the past with heavy drugs, and I understand her concern, but things are different now and I want her to see that.

I just want to feel better but I don't want to ignore her concerns and wishes. It's so tempting to just go out and buy a few grams for the week just so I can have a few days of feeling great and not being interrupted constantly with gas or having to run to the bathroom or having pain.
02-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #90
rjmartins77

Hello everyone,
I am 22 years old and was diagnosed with Crohn's at the age of 12. Over the years I have battled with stomach pains, cramps, and of course the occasional flare ups as a lot of my fellow patients have. As I've gotten older I have become more aware and educated in things that while growing up, was frowned upon. About a year and a half ago I moved from the smallest state in the country, Rhode Island, to Southern California. I have now been a medical cannabis patient for over a year and have never felt better. The stomach cramps have drastically decreased, and my attitude is a lot better now that i'm not walking around in pain. I have a great job, and am attending college for a degree in Biotech. I plan on bringing awareness and educating all walks of life through the community. I have created a Facebook page that is meant to bring people from not only the communities around us, but the Crohn's families the medical cannabis family. It is intended to bring people together and share our experiences and stories to educate anyone who does not know the amazing power this medicine has. Crohn's patients, and medical cannabis patients in general deserve this natural, affordable, non-manufactured medicine. Nature provided it for us, we deserve it. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Medica...797660?sk=wall. Like my page Lets be the movement!..

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Medical Marijuana for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis