Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » Other autoimmune system disorders

View Poll Results: Do you have any other autoimmune disorders
yes, I do 91 59.87%
no, I don't 32 21.05%
not sure 29 19.08%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

03-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
CLynn

Other autoimmune system disorders

Having one autoimmune disease, I think most of us have heard that we are predisposed to have other autoimmune disorders as well. So I was just wondering how many of us have other ones, whether we got those before or after our Crohn's diagnosis. For me, I was diagnosed with psoriasis at 17, just a few years before my Crohn's diagnosis. My GP just assumed my nerves brought it on (my grandpa was dying of cancer), and it went away with time in the sun that summer. It stayed gone for about 13 years, but did come back finally, I still fight it now.
Surgeries: re-section 2004
Currently taking: B-12 injections every 2 weeks, multi vitamin/mineral, fish oil (1000 mg), D3 (5000 mg)

Also lucky enough to have psoriasis as well.
03-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Ihurt

My Support Groups:
Hi there. I've not been dx yet, but just going through all the motions still. But I do have autoimmune issues. I was dx with an undifferenciated connective tissue disease back a few years ago. I have all sorts of health issues going on( fibro,interstitial cystitis, eczema( since I was a kid), dysmotility of the small bowel, and just recently intestinal issues again). I have heard that anyone with an autoimmune disease of any kind is more prone to getting other stuff due to a faulty compromised immune system. It makes you way more prone to infections and a whole slew of stuff. it sucks. My mom got psoraisis after taking a blood pressure med, so medicines can cause autoimmune issues as well. I even had a frined who got drug induced lupus from taking a medication. I think medications are a huge culprit to some of these diseases we have going on today unfortunately.

Having one autoimmune disease, I think most of us have heard that we are predisposed to have other autoimmune disorders as well. So I was just wondering how many of us have other ones, whether we got those before or after our Crohn's diagnosis. For me, I was diagnosed with psoriasis at 17, just a few years before my Crohn's diagnosis. My GP just assumed my nerves brought it on (my grandpa was dying of cancer), and it went away with time in the sun that summer. It stayed gone for about 13 years, but did come back finally, I still fight it now.
03-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
NikiB

This is a great thread, thnx CLynn!

I was diagnosed with Psoriasis when I was 5 years old and I've have it consistently for the last 23 years.
Have been on Entocort, Cipro, Flagyl
Currently on 175mg Azathioprine
40 mg Humira
03-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
CLynn

You are welcome, Niki! Just thought it would informative and interesting to find out...Knees, elbows are my main problems with it. What about you?
03-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
NikiB

I get it all over. At my worst flares I've had it cover over 90% of my whole body. I go for UV therapy treatments weekly to keep it under control. Creams and ointment don't work for me. Interestingly enough when I was put on Entocort it completely cleared up within 2 weeks!! But it came back full force once I stopped the steroid.
03-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
CLynn

I just started taking vitamin D3 supplements, going to see if it helps or not.
03-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
NikiB

Now I'm on Azathoprine, which raises the risk of skin cancer so I feel very reluctant going for the UV treatments. But its the only thing that helps. So I take the risk and hope for the best
03-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
NikiB

I take D3 as well. I don't find that it makes a difference as far as my Psoriasis goes. But apperantly it is good to take anyways if you have any Autoimmune disorders.
03-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
CLynn

True enough. I just had to switch from Dovonex cream to Clobetasol, the Dovonex lost its effectiveness after years of using it.
03-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
NikiB

That has been my experience with the creams too. After a while we become immune to them. I used Dovonex for quite some time as well.
03-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
NikiB

When I used to get really upset about my Psoriasis as a kid mom used to tell me that if thats all I had to deal with, I was lucky. Now here I am with this evil disease. So now I joke to her about how lucky I am now..I do believe that we're not given anything that we can't deal with though. I think having Autoimmune disease had made me the tough cookie I am today.. Would you agree?
03-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
I was diagnosed with mild arthritis a couple of years before the Crohns first flared. It hasn't bothered me too much, but seems to have flared with the onset of the Psoriasis. The plaques seem to be confined to my legs and feet.

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x
03-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
lisakuney

My Support Groups:
I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis too.
03-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #14
Crohn'sFor Life
Colon Free!

Rheumatoid Arthritis after my colon was removed.

Full body itch (autoimmune related) after my colon removed.

Cataracts from too much Prednisone.

My itch and arthritis issues began after I stopped taking all of the meds...
The meds (Humira, Imuran, Entocort, Prednisone) must have been masking the symptoms.

Colon removed September 26, 2011.
Pathology showed UC instead of Crohn's.

I have arthritis that is very similar to RA, but not RA because I had UC.

Autoimmune related itch.

Meds: 15 mg/week Methotrexate for RA
Cetirizine for the itch
03-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #15
tots

My Support Groups:
Ok, it took awhile for my Dr to figure this out. I have an allergic reaction to the cold. Its called cold uticaria (sp). I break out in red hives that itch like crazy and big welts! As soon as I warm my skin they go away. Also have trouble if I drink cold things fast. I had an EMT walk over to me at my kids cross county meet and ask me if I needed help! Not pretty thats for sure.

Lauren

Diagnosed= 1992 and again Feb 2012 Confirmed with
CT enterography May 2015 !!

Waiting for the ok from my Ins company to restart Remicade. Will also start Imuron to get into remission!
I know it's out there somewhere and I WILL find it!

:

Ok, my family Dr told me to cut down on the stress- a husband, 3 kids, and 3 dogs!
03-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #16
CLynn

When I used to get really upset about my Psoriasis as a kid mom used to tell me that if thats all I had to deal with, I was lucky. Now here I am with this evil disease. So now I joke to her about how lucky I am now..I do believe that we're not given anything that we can't deal with though. I think having Autoimmune disease had made me the tough cookie I am today.. Would you agree?
I definately agree, Niki! Never given more than the strength given to help us thru it.
03-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #17
Samboi

My Support Groups:
I had terrible eczema when I was a kid.
I started taking neupogen for drug induced neutropenia about 10 years ago - the eczema pretty much disappeared.
These days I get the odd patch about a centimetre in size - that's about it.
Trying Vedoluzimab - running out of options
Neupogen
03-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #18
heidit68

Hi there, I had problems with hives since about age 7 eventually ended up in the ER with them so bad at age 20 & told it was an auto immune disorder from stress. Then at age 26 started having psoriasis problems mostly on my scalp. Last yr diagnosed with Crohns. I found an article last yr about a study linking psoriasis & crohns. I will see if I can find it & post the link
03-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #19
heidit68

Hi there, I had problems with hives since about age 7 eventually ended up in the ER with them so bad at age 20 & told it was an auto immune disorder from stress. Then at age 26 started having psoriasis problems mostly on my scalp. Last yr diagnosed with Crohns. I found an article last yr about a study linking psoriasis & crohns. I will see if I can find it & post the link
Here is the link:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12789169/
03-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #20
CLynn

Thanks, Heidi!
03-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #21
GFinDC

I don't have Crohn's but have celiac disease. On the celiac com site where I mostly hang out there are number of people with other autoimmune conditions besides celiac. Rhuematoid arthritis, Hashimoto's thyroidits, dermatitis herpetiformis, T-1 diabetes, fibromyalgia, lupus, scleraderma, Sjogren's disease, keratosis pilaris, and Raynaud's are all represented by someone in addition to their celiac. Some us of even have Crohn's! But many have just celiac too. I think I read there is a 10% higher chance of other autoimmune conditions along with celiac. Although it seems like the longer people go untreated with celiac the more chance they have of developing additional autoimmune conditions. Sorry if this is boring since it is about celiac but I thought the tie-in to other autoimmune conditions would be relevant.

A search phrase you can use to find lists is:

"Crohn's related condition" or "Crohn's associated condition". Same search works for celiac.
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Celiac disease, (not Crohn's), thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. My current bad list is: gluten (wheat, barley rye and oats), dairy, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, potatoes), alcohol, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul
03-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #22
lisakuney

My Support Groups:
I don't have Crohn's but have celiac disease. On the celiac com site where I mostly hang out there are number of people with other autoimmune conditions besides celiac. Rhuematoid arthritis, Hashimoto's thyroidits, dermatitis herpetiformis, T-1 diabetes, fibromyalgia, lupus, scleraderma, Sjogren's disease, keratosis pilaris, and Raynaud's are all represented by someone in addition to their celiac. Some us of even have Crohn's! But many have just celiac too. I think I read there is a 10% higher chance of other autoimmune conditions along with celiac. Although it seems like the longer people go untreated with celiac the more chance they have of developing additional autoimmune conditions. Sorry if this is boring since it is about celiac but I thought the tie-in to other autoimmune conditions would be relevant.

A search phrase you can use to find lists is:

"Crohn's related condition" or "Crohn's associated condition". Same search works for celiac.
Is Fibromyalgia considered autoimmune? I have it too, and didn't know.

Lisa
03-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #23
GFinDC

Is Fibromyalgia considered autoimmune? I have it too, and didn't know.

Lisa
Could be, that's a definite possibility. Here's small snippet from a Pubmed article on it. You should be able to read the whole abstract at the Pubmed link. Lots of big words though.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15082086

Is fibromyalgia an autoimmune disorder of endogenous vasoactive neuropeptides?

Staines DR.
Source

Gold Coast Public Health Unit, 10-12 Young Street, Southport, Qld 4215, Australia. [email protected]
.../quote

The condition may potentially arise de novo perhaps in genetically susceptible individuals. FM is postulated to be an autoimmune disorder and may include dysfunction of purine nucleotide metabolism and nociception.

/end quote...
03-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #24
Irene3

My Support Groups:
Yes...candida....:/
Currently on long term prednisone,6mp,humira, nizoral, and vit supplements,b12 shots.

Love the forum
03-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #25
DougUte

My Support Groups:
I only have one auto immune disease, Crohns. But my mother had Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Crohns Medicines:
Started Humira June 22nd, 2011
Increased to weekly injections on November 1st, 2016
Due to the insurance company, Humira ended on January 31, 2017.
Started Entyvio February 9th, 2017
Loperamide 3 capsules twice a day
Vitamin B6, B12, Folic Acid
Vitamin D3 10000 I.U.
Nature Made Multivitamin
03-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #26
Josephine

My Support Groups:
3 active rayduany, Acid reflux and this also 16-17 years go had indifferent connective issue disease.

Sacroiliitis and add to grew list auto immune diseases.

Now on Lansprazole 15 mg And Gavin son 5mg-10mg 3a day.

Crohns from Oct 2007
Domperidone 10 mg -20 mg, Mebeverine 135 mg,
3 a day.
Balsalazide 750 mg 3 X3 a day on going.
Bone protection.

Azathioprine is not working, still waiting to find out what next. Still on low dosage Prednisolone

Mesalamine Enema

No Wheat

English my native language and have characterizes of dyslexia.

Last edited by Josephine; 04-01-2012 at 02:46 AM.
03-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #27
rthiele

I have always had issues wasnt dx until Dec, 2010 I have issus with dairy, soy , peanuts, I have crohns, sleeping issues, GERD, and joints issues, dry eyes, hearing loss, migraines, maltration, lack Vit D, and C, I fight with c diff almost monthly, I have had 1 resection, carpel tunnel, cyst, hysteromoty. I am currently on serveral different meds. I am always tired, sore, hurting and I am usually up beat, but with all of this going on and no job, financial stress. I am now getting depress. Really
03-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #28
rthiele

Oh and current meds are:
Cholestyramine , Ambien, Azathioprine, Tramadol ,Calcium- Vitamin D PO Singilair,Omprazole, Ployethlene Glyol 3350 power, Estradiol, Acidophilus/ bifidum (Florajan-3, Alprazolam,Meloxicam ,Naproxen ,Sumatriptan ,Fish Oil, Vitamin D ,Fluticasone nasal SP, and andbodites monthly
03-31-2012, 06:24 PM   #29
DougUte

My Support Groups:
Today I was taking my Zyrtec D and I remembered, allergies are autoimmune.I actually have two, not 1. Can you change the vote?
04-22-2012, 01:00 AM   #30
kd82286

I have Four... Does that mean I get a prize?!? Lol
Crohn's
Raynaud's
Perniosis
Rheumatoid Arthritis

Meds: Asacol HD 800mgx3
Humira every 2 weeks(which is no longer effective)
Bentyl 3x's daily
Tramadol as needed
Prevacid
Zofram
Allegra
B12 injections monthly
And of course the Hated Prednisone during our recurrent flares!

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » Other autoimmune system disorders