Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Extra Intestinal Manifestations » Nose/Sinuses » Do any of you others also have sinus issues?

01-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #31
PeedyWheels

I get them bad in the winter. I make sure to keep a humidifier in my room 24/7 for the season and it really helps. But I still get bad sinus infections. Each time I get one, the effected side swells up to the size of a baseball and it causes excrutiating pain. I've noticed since starting Remicade, the infections are harder to get rid of. I also learned NEVER to mess around with a small sinus infection right before an infusion. I thought I had my sinus issue under control, had my Remi infusion, and that night my cheek swelled up.

I have one right now and the antibiotics and nasal spray isn't working. It did for the first few days but it's Day 9 and back to being in pain.

You may have too much moisture in your house/room. Mold can grow. I recently went through this in my house, I keep my house and bedroom at least half what the room temp is or lower, which means if my room temp is 70, I dont want the humidity in the room over 30%. Rinse your sinus a neti pot and even steam your nose over a hot kettle, but that high humidity in your house is not good. I just had may air quality checked in my house and it was bad because I was doing the same thing.
01-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #32
ThanksP

You may have too much moisture in your house/room. Mold can grow. I recently went through this in my house, I keep my house and bedroom at least half what the room temp is or lower, which means if my room temp is 70, I dont want the humidity in the room over 30%. Rinse your sinus a neti pot and even steam your nose over a hot kettle, but that high humidity in your house is not good. I just had may air quality checked in my house and it was bad because I was doing the same thing.
My humidifier is set at 40% which is optimal humidity for a bedroom and it never goes over 40%. I'm not worried about mold being an issue especially since this year (and others) I got my first sinus infection before I brought out the humidifier for the winter. Here's a quick link about humidity in your home http://www.hgtv.com/home-improvement...els/index.html and http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/hum...rm-review.html Low humidity levels can wreak havoc on the sinuses in the winter.

Now, I'd be a fool if I used it in the spring, summer, or fall
03-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #33
AmandaNG

I have always had moderate sinus problems and would often get sinus infections following colds. Then, I had a sinus infection for basically 6 straight months after starting Humira. I went to an ENT (ear, nose, and throat doctor) and had a CT scan, which showed narrow sinus passages and a moderate deviated septum. My ENT said that my anatomy combined with the Humira was likely causing my sinus issues. I had sinus surgery last June to repair my septum and open up my sinus passages. The surgery was pretty painful, but I have not had any sinus problems since. I was able to re-start the Humira when I flared in November and have not had any sinus infections.
03-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #34
jwfoise

I just found this discussion.

I've had sinus problems since I was in my teens (I'm now 53). Never thought they might be related to my UC. Interesting....
03-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #35
Irene3

My Support Groups:
So glad I saw this thread. I too have candida issues, and had a couple of sinus infections a couple months back. I never really thought about allergies though, even though my gp said, that hay fever can come with crohns, because of our imune systems. But I never had allergies so I didn't think much of it. Iv been on many lots of prednisone, especially the past year, and I'm finding a simple flu, can be so horrid and hard for my immune system to get over.
Weaning steroids the last couple times, bought on so many side effects, that I just thought it's the candida flaring really bad, with some of the shocking headaches. Goes hand in hand with candida steroids and refined sugar (I crave sugar especially when I'm unwell), so I never considered that allergies could be part of the headaches. As is I'm having my eyes looked at this week(Havnt in ages and I know that's bad with crohns), and then Iv got a dentist appointment, but now when I next see my Gp I'll be asking him wether it's worth taking an antihistamine, or have some allergy testing.
So thanks guys, hope you all get well soon, and thanks for all the info
04-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #36
Peanuttt

when I was 15 I had so many sinus infections they sent me for a ct scan and the results came back that I have a huge mucus retention cyst that fill the entire sinus cavity (the one under the eyes top of the cheek!! Since then I get sinus infections a few times a year... its miserable!!

CurrentMeds:
Asacol EC 800mg 3x/day
Celexa 40mg/day
Nucynta ER 200mg 2x/day
Klonopin 1mg (as needed)
Schiff Probiotic Gummies
Vitamin B100 Complex
Tylenol #3 (as needed)
04-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #37
Mary:)

My Support Groups:
Yep bad sinus issues especially after starting Humira.

Fistula-2010

Humira-Every 2 weeks 40mg

Prednisone drives me nuts!!!!
04-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #38
Judith

Yes, my sinuses constantly feel awful too. I take Claritin, Mucinex, Sudafed, Flonase, Ayr, sub-lingual immunotherapy drops, use Neti-Pot and just finished a month worth of Avelox. I have 3 inhalers for my lungs but they actually help my sinuses a bit. I also get the inside of my nose waxed so there is no hair to hold the allergens. It helps my sinuses quite a bit. The downside is I know the allergens are now going straight into my lungs.....

I constantly get ear infections too. The fluid retained in my ears makes me dizzy and nauseous. Joy. I cannot wait to move back to southern California where there is less pollen.

Has anyone ever had tubes placed in their ears? Did it help? Did you ever have any trouble with your hearing afterwards? Thanks guys.
04-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #39
Jessasha

Hi All,
I have had chronic sinus, Allergies, for most of my life, I'm now in my late 30's and I too have gone through a box of tissues a week..for most of my life. Been on injections to desensitize me to the grasses and pollens I reacted to but with no success.. Used Nasonex and vick sinex for years..I thought I was going to burn a hole in my nose with the amount I used. Taken every decongestant, antihistamine on the market... When you live day in, day out without being able to breathe it really affects your quality of life. I too blocked up every time I have a couple of glasses of wine.. mainly Red wine, I have put it down to the preservative 220 and the sulphites. I was put on 40mg Prednisolone when diagnosed in January and the first thing I noticed was my Sinuses cleared up, I can now breathe better than I have in my life. it really is amazing! I can't say if it's related to crohn's but I do know that the Pred certainly healed me in the sinus & Allery department.
05-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #40
Gra

My Support Groups:
Yes, sinus problems since I was in my teens (I'm 64 now) till a friend recommended a particular Chinese herbalist - it took treatment over three years, but I have very few sinus problems now.

Gra

Last edited by Gra; 09-02-2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: typos
07-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #41
mogre

I have had wicked sinus headaches for years. My allergist, who is also an immunologist, does not connect them with my Crohn's (which is mainly treated by my gastroenterologist) but with being allergic to dust mites and cats. The cats are non-negotiable for my mental health, so I got the dust mite proof bedding covers and wash my laundry in a product called De-Mite (you can buy it on line) and I am so much better, we never went to plan B, which was desensitization injections against my cat allergy. I was on inhaled nasal steroid for awhile (QVar) and it stopped the sinus headaches but had to discontinue as it thinned my nasal membranes to where I was getting nosebleeds. Switched over to the lowest dose of Advair. Sinus headaches have been a non-issue since the dust mite proofing, regardless of the state of my ileum. I think having both is just because my immune system is hyper, so I have more than one condition at the same time, not that the sinus issues are part of the Crohn's.
07-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #42
BadGut

My Support Groups:
What a relief...I have had chronic sinus issues for the last 4 years. I ended up with the infection in my Mastoid bone and had surgery on both ears for it. I'm still having hearing loss issues and am trying to figure it all out. My doctor is awesome, he actually has told me there are two other patients JUST LIKE ME, Crohn's and all. I was shocked by that but now WOW all of you. I know our Immune systems are to blame and I know that just about all of our medicines say "may cause infection" or "stop if have infection". Remicade is probably best know for this but what are we to do with out the meds? No medicine for me and I fall apart...just as Mike referred to I am feeling a little bummed about my Crohn's Flare-up and am ready to be "normal" again...
Ok I feel better! Now I have been on Antibiotics for 5 months and don't see an end in sight. But there has to be something to all this...right?
For me the daily sinus rinse has worked wonders, but like some of you I wake up clogged and can't breath. I also have a rattle to my chest and cough (but chest x-ray clear), and put Bactrim Ointment in my ears & nose daily. These have helped but not 100%. Air Purifier helped me in the Texas Air...and my allergies seem to be at bay for now!

Remicade 2000-2008, Cimzia & Methotrexate now.
07-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #43
BadGut

My Support Groups:
Yes, my sinuses constantly feel awful too. I take Claritin, Mucinex, Sudafed, Flonase, Ayr, sub-lingual immunotherapy drops, use Neti-Pot and just finished a month worth of Avelox. I have 3 inhalers for my lungs but they actually help my sinuses a bit. I also get the inside of my nose waxed so there is no hair to hold the allergens. It helps my sinuses quite a bit. The downside is I know the allergens are now going straight into my lungs.....

I constantly get ear infections too. The fluid retained in my ears makes me dizzy and nauseous. Joy. I cannot wait to move back to southern California where there is less pollen.

Has anyone ever had tubes placed in their ears? Did it help? Did you ever have any trouble with your hearing afterwards? Thanks guys.
I had the tubes in and they helped A LOT but they are only short term. Usually the tubes will only stay in about 6 months and after 2 rounds of them my doctor said we had to go to a new plan. I would recommend trying them!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Extra Intestinal Manifestations » Nose/Sinuses » Do any of you others also have sinus issues?