Share Facebook

06-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #31
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
@Suzysu ~ I use a Zojirushi breakmaker. I've been making a loaf of gluten free bread every week for the last three and a half years and it's holding up well considering the bread I make is very dense. It has two paddles instead of one and many, many (too many?) options. It's kind of expensive as far as bread makers go, but it's been totally worth it for us.
- Multivitamins, Probiotics, Vit D
- Small bowel resection, Jan 2013
06-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #32
Suzysu

My Support Groups:
Mehita - I will keep an eye out for that breadmaker - whatever we get will be second hand so it will depend a little on what is out there! Does yours do everything from start to finish as one long programme?

JM - I love banana bread! The only reason I don't make it is that I end up eating it all!!
06-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #33
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Mehita - I will keep an eye out for that breadmaker - whatever we get will be second hand so it will depend a little on what is out there! Does yours do everything from start to finish as one long programme?
Yup, everything, start to finish. Beeps at certain times if you want to add other special items (nuts, etc). The only interaction from me is to scrape down the ingredients when it starts to mix... might just be a gluten free flour thing? I have forgotten at times and it turns out fine.
06-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #34
Jmrogers4

JM - I love banana bread! The only reason I don't make it is that I end up eating it all!!
If I can make it past the 5 minute mark I might get one slice, if I'm lucky. I love it too and would happily eat the entire loaf myself.

Mom to Jack (18) dx Crohn's 2/2010
Vitamin D -2000mg
Remicade - started 1/9/14; 7.5ml/kg every 6 weeks
Centrum for Him teen multivitamin
Past meds: Imuran/Azathioprine; allopurinol; methotrexate; LDN; Prednisone; Apriso; Pentasa; EEN

Husband dx Crohn's 3/1993
currently none due to liver issues
06-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #35
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I love to make bread by hand- gets all the frustrations of crohn's out- plus depending on th day- just the right wetness of the dough.
06-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #36
jmckinley

I made these apple cinnamon muffins tonight...definitely worth a try. I added a teaspoon of vanilla. Best use of coconut flour I have made. They are less dense than the muffins on wellfedhomestead.com

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/...airy-free.html
06-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #37
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
BAM! Just made some homemade pasta and by made I don't mean boiled up homemade pasta made in someone else's home...I mean I mixed flour, salt and egg my self...well my kitchen aid did it itself but you get the idea.

So put that in your corn husk and smoke it Farmwife!

OK so it was white refined flour, regular eggs, refined salt and canola oil but like I said I am trying to use up all the old stuff in the house. Oh and there was a little incident that involved me forgetting the shield and flour all over the place but still....

I am hoping this cheers O up. I have been making her boxed pasta everyday and she LOVES my fresh homemade fettucine (haven't made it in over a year - no surprise I am sure). I plan to mix it with some tuna (canned) and toss with balsamic vinegar and olive oil...the rest of the family will get some non organic grape tomatoes, red onion and green beans tossed in. YUM!
Methotrexate (12.5mg wkly - oral)
Vit d 2000IU
Multi vitamin plus iron
Calcium
Folic Acid
Previously used - Prednisone, Prevacid, Enteral Nutrition

Daughter T dx 1/2/15 at age 11
Vitaligo, Precoscious puberty & Crohns
Methotrexate (15mg weekly oral)
Enteral Nutrition
Entocort
IBD-AID Diet
Vit d 1000IU
Calcium
Folic Acid
Previously used: Mtx injections
06-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #38
Jmrogers4

I'm picturing flour flying all over and I can picture it very well because I have been known to drop an entire bag of flour on the flour.
Might have to try making my own pasta as well, I think you have inspired me.
06-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #39
Suzysu

My Support Groups:
Crohnsinct - I am now STARVING!!!! - sounds really yummy - I have never ever even thought of attempting to make homemade pasta!! - is it easy (bear in mind my culinary abilities when you answer that question!!).
JM - those apple muffins look amazing - I will be baking (or attempting to bake them) as soon as Freddy is finished with the low residue diet!
06-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #40
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Crohnsinct homemade pasta means it was once homemade in a factory.
Just to set the record straight I don't smoke!!! Fire and hay don't mix!!!
Being a city girl you won't know that.

I hoping to get my honey cookies recipe on tonight.
Farmwife
dx Juvenile Arthritis
(12/13/13)
dx Erthema Nodosum
(8/13/14)
Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction
(10/14/13)
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome dx (1/26/17)
Remicade started on (9/8/14)Every 4 wks
Azathroprine started on 10/9/15
EN/EEN- since (1/12/13)
Past Meds- LDN, Humira, Pred, MTX, Sulfasalazine
06-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #41
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
Suzy: so ridiculously easy! four, egg, oil, salt knead...cover, let stand 1 hour..roll out and cut. I use the old fashioned Italian roller cutter machines that clamp onto your counter but you could roll it out yourself and use a knife to cut it...I know where you can get a real bad mamma jamma rolling pin

Even with the machine it is a little tedious and a bit messy but once you taste it you will never want boxed again! They do sell electric pasta machines but they are too expensive and big for my liking.

O came home with bad tude today...grrr!
06-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #42
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hear it is!
I found the same recipe on cooks.com. This is a great web site to get some yummy recipes. I love it! Now in my opinion theses cookies are a little plan. You could add some frosting on top. My kids dunk them in applesauce or their left over canned peach juice. They love it.
For my honey cookie recipe. Press here.

Farmwife
06-16-2012, 03:13 AM   #43
Sascot
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Wow you guys are making me look bad!! Apart from cooking Andrew's veg and peeling his apples, I haven't done anything as exciting as all of you! Must start trying harder.
Anyone found a way to make the kitchen clean itself afterwards yet?
06-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #44
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
I'm with you Sas, I've got to get on this 'home cooking' - I'm really beginning to feel like a neglectful mother!

Going to try the honey cookies this weekend

Treatment:
May-July 2011 - 6 wks Exclusive EN via NG tube - 2000 ml/night, 1 wk IV Flagyl
July 2011-July 2013 - Supplemental EN via NG, 1000 ml/night, 5 nites/wk, Nexium, 40 mg
Feb. 2013-present - Remicade, 5 mg/kg every 6 wks
Supplements: 1-2 Boost shakes, D3 - 2000 IUs, Krill Oil
06-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #45
Dearie

My Support Groups:
We are trying to buy more organic foods too and trying not to buy as many foods with preservatives or artificial flavors. It's hard because we are so used to eating a lot of processed fast foods and I didn't think the kids would even go for changing their diet. But, with persistence, they are trying new things (like quinoa and soy or almond milk) and liking it.

I also want to add manuka honey to my son's diet since I've heard that it has anti-inflammatory properties.

My son is still drinking the Ensure/pediasure for the added nutrients but I was wondering which elemental formulas have ANTI-inflammatory properties in addition to the nutrients that the Ensure/pediasure have (and maybe less sugar too)?
06-20-2012, 11:42 PM   #46
jmckinley

Sascot...The trick is to turn the air up so you sweat and complain about how you spend sooooo much time cooking with this "healthy" diet. Then hubby will clean the kitchen.

We aren't abandoning the diet thing, but we are putting the brakes on the diet since we are on EN right now. We'll regroup as we come off that.
06-21-2012, 03:40 AM   #47
Susan2

My Support Groups:
Anyone tried blackstrap molasses in their cooking? It is very intense, so you don't need much of it, and it has a high iron content in an easily assimilable form. It also contains folate, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and manganese.

It also has a low glycemic index.

Some people need to get used to the taste, but I love it on my rolled oats porridge for breakfast in the winter and have got to like it so much that I can eat it by the spoonful!

BTW you need to make sure that you get molasses that hasn't has sulphur dioxide added. I buy organic when I can afford it, but it's a bit expensive.
06-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #48
Suzysu

My Support Groups:
My mum used to give us that! I quite liked it!! - I think I may have to try it with the kids athough Im not sure they will take it!!
06-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #49
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
Thanks Susan, just looked up some info and it is definitely something I will try to add into our diets!

If anyone's interested, link below gives some info

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?d...name=foodspice
06-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #50
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
YES! We have that. Got it years ago when O was first testing with low iron...go figure!
06-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #51
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
Just curious... how/where do you use it? I marinade fish, chicken, pork with Hoisin sauce (which is sweet), I was going to try using molasses next time but, how else do you use it? We use very few sweeteners at home - ie one bag of sugar easily lasts me 6+ months, bottle of maple syrup maybe a year, etc. (obviously having a 'sweet tooth' is not an issue at our home ) so I don't have many ideas as to how to incorporate 'sweet' in our diet???

From the comments above, I assume it has a very distinct flavour??? Can you use it in place of maple syrup on pancakes, etc. Or in place of honey in tea?
06-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #52
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Dearie -peptamin jr has been shown to reduce inflammation

http://www.nestle-nutrition.com/nirf..._evidence1.pdf

DS drinks his orally.
Hope that helps
06-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #53
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
Thanks MLP!
06-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #54
Dearie

My Support Groups:
Thanks MLP! I'm gonna look into getting that for my son.
06-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #55
Dearie

My Support Groups:
MLP does your insurance cover some of the cost of the peptamen?
06-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #56
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It covers it all after we meet our deductible which takes about a week.:roy:

The key is to have the doc order it by a script and send it through your durable medical equipment (DME)supplier. Most insurances have a DME clause where they will pay x% of medical supplies and infusion therapy.

YOu may need a letter of medical necessity. We have that as well.
DS did have very poor weight gain and Food allergies so that may have helped.
07-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #57
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
I made some amazing Coconut Oil Chocolate Truffles!!! They are so good and a great way to use coconut oil! I've read so much of the anti-inflammatory properties of coconut oil and lot of other health benefits but have had a tough time incorporating it on a regular basis. These will do it!! I told Stephen to have one everyday and I don't think it'll be a huge hardship!

1 cup coconut oil (softened) (so it blends easily into mixture)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp nut butter (optional)
1-2 tbsp honey
2-4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
cake sprinkles (optional)

(makes about 20)

In a food processor, beat all ingredients together and then form 'balls' on a flat pan. Refrigerate to harden. (You can then transfer to any container but keep in the fridge.)

Now, my expert culinary observations and alterations!

- They have a very strong coconut flavour - if you like coconut, you'll LOVE these; but, if you don't, well... As Stephen doesn't LOVE coconut, to offset some of the flavour, I added an extra 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter. (Next time, I'm going to try reduce the cocoa and use Nutella, which he loves - may offset some of the coconut flavour??)

- The sea salt - I liked the sweet/salty flavour, however, found that the 'bits' of sea salt left an odd salty aftertaste. Am going to try with regular table salt next time.

- Now the 'balls' shape - okay, not sure how you would form these!?!?! When first mixed, it has the consistency of pudding or icing, so I tried to harden the mix in the fridge to form the balls. Didn't work - chocolate was literally melting in my hands as I tried to make the balls! So, left it out again to soften and then used an icing decorator/piping bag to make little 'buds'- this worked. And then I sprinkled with the coloured sprinkles and refridgerated

They are absolutely delicious and literally melt in your mouth!
07-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #58
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
OMGosh! I LOVE coconut and LOVE salty sweet combo but oh yeah this is about O right....I can't wait to try these.
07-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #59
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
I like coconut but don't usually LOVE it... so was a bit easier to limit myself but, even so... they are so decadent and creamy that I still had 3 or 4 throughout the day yesterday!

Farmwife - see... something even Crohnsinct, Suzysu and I can 'cook' !!

Last edited by Tesscorm; 07-16-2012 at 10:41 AM.
07-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #60
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Well I'll be... Y'all might make good cooks some day. GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

Farmwife