Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » What's the secret to healing perianal abscess?

07-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
allicat1214

What's the secret to healing perianal abscess?

It seems like so many threads that discuss abscesses indicate they come back....Has anyone actually had an abscess actually heal after just one occurrence? If so, what is your secret??

My son who was diagnosed with Crohn's last summer, developed a perianal abscess that was drained in the ER on July 4th. He came for follow-up this past Monday and surgeon said it had to be re-done in OR under general anesthesia. That happened on Tues, he's been in hospital since then. They dug out major tissue....all indications are no fistula, but abscess went right up to rectum. No signs of crohn's in rectum...but anus was sore and raw from procedure when they did a little biopsy to determine if crohns.

They were giving him Zosyn & vancomycin IV, nothing extra for Crohn's just his 9 mg of entocort and pentasa.

They gave him miralax to avoid hardened stools with pain meds he was on, but that seemed to cause major D in hospital. I asked two nurses and a doc whether he should still be taking miralax since he had several bouts of D a few hours after taking it. Colorectal surgeon said he had to stay on it to avoid hurting abscess, but finally spoke with the GI docs and they said yes, take him off!!! Thank God!

So he is going home today with percoset for pain to be used when packing is changed daily and augmentin. They are setting up Home Health to come out daily to change packing. Thank God for that, too! ER had me try to do it with initial drain and he almost fainted when I tried it!

Besides Zinc, Vitamins A, C & E, probiotics, what else can I give him to expedite healing and prevent recurrence of abscess? He goes back to college in a month!!

Thanks in advance!
--
20-yr-old son diagnosed 2010, on Entocort, Pentasa, Azathioprine, Cipro; now dealing with perianal abscess
07-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
glum chump

My Support Groups:
Protein is a good healing agent---meat, fish, eggs are all low fibre options for boosting protein.

I wish I had an answer for your question about how to permanently stop abscesses from occurring, Allicat. I've had them for many many years, but I've never had any medical intervention. The minute I feel one coming on, I call my GI straight away and he puts me on antibiotics. The symptoms that trigger me to assume I've got a fistula or abscess happening are: high temperature, chills, night sweats, lack of appetite, etc. I figure that even if it's not an abscess or fistula, the symptoms indicate some kind of infection, so a 2-3 week course of antibiotics wouldn't be the end of the world, regardless.

When I can feel it on the outside of my anus, I begin to hot compress it several times a day for at least 10 minutes each time (soaking in a hot bath would be helpful as well). Keep the water as hot as possible. Within a few days, the abscess 'breaks' and the puss and other stuff starts to drain out of the abscess. I continue to hot compress until the pain subsides and I can begin sitting again, which is usually quite soon after the abscess breaks.

Don't know if this is helpful for your son or not---abscesses are horrendous and they sure do knock the stuffing out of a person.

I wish him well in his recovery.

Take care,

Kismet
07-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
xoxava

I'm sorry to hear about your son. He's the same age as me and I know its tough going through all this. I've googled but I still don't know what abscess/fistula are or how you even know you have one. Sorry I'm no help!
failed meds: remicade, asacol (hair loss), prednisone (love/hate), lialda,
flagyl & cipro, xifaxan, colazol

"if you can dream it, you can do it" - walt disney
07-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
stretch

Hello, sorry to hear your son is suffering with abcesses, I know how painful they are. Hope he is on the mend soon

I have had a few abcesses that burst and turned out into fistulas.I dont think there is any secret to them healing but they can take a lot of time and patience to heal.

I have had packing in the open wounds left by the abcesses . My poor wife had to change them daily!!. After a while they healed to a small holes which were the ends of the fistulas.

I had surgery numerous times to have seton drains put in the fistulas and that is what healed them up in the end but it took a long time.

I will say that after a short while of living with abcesses/fistulas it just becomes the norm and part of your life keeping them clean etc, and working out how you cope with them is different for everybody.
08-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
harvey87

Hello---

Glum chump your information makes me feel a little better. In regard to this, I have a question for you all...

How often do these abscesses occur? I just discovered my first. I am in a similar situation to allicat's son. I have had Crohn's for 8 years and had a resection 5.5 years ago. I had no symptoms following the surgery for 5 years until this past February. I have been on Entocort and Pentasa. I have finally weined off of Entocort. I was having trouble sitting down a few days ago and I went to the ER to find out I have a perirectal abscess. I went to a colon-rectal surgeon and he said the abscess has burst..

In terms of treatment I have a few options. I am on antibiotics and have started to feel better. I can sit again, thankfully. The surgeon told me I can either have a seton put in or continue to request antibiotics every time it re-occurs. I am hesitant to get the seton, but I'm hoping these episodes are infrequent.

I, like allicat, am wondering about how to prevent it from happening again. The research I've done suggests it will keep happening, but how frequently has it happened for all of you? I'm having trouble making this decision. If you could all offer your input I'd appreciate it.

Thanks so much & Good luck!

Vanessa
08-30-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
stretch

Its difficult to give advice because everyone is different. But I have been abscess free for about 8 years and the complex fistula (that took 7 years to heal via about 5 EUA's and the same amount of seton drains) disappeared about a year ago.

The seton drain was the only route for me as it gave the best chance for it to heal up and I didn't need to take metronidazole and more (which made me feel ill) plus we all take enough tablets already for our condition.
08-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
braveheart
Passionate Dreamer

I am sorry to hear you are having bad times with abscesses.

I had a perianal abscesses once, doctors drained it and it healed.

I don't think there is a secret on this. I mean I cannot say anything special about it.
It wasn't so big but very painful. All the area around was Inflamed. It wasn't located deep inside since I could feel the pain just when sitting.

I remember I went to hospital to ask about it and by my surprise they decided to drain it right the way.
They used a syringe to extract the pus inside it and check how bad it was. Then, in the same procedure they gave me local anesthesia and did a small cut on the abscess.
The releaf came in a couple of hours and after few days the cut they did healed.

I think there are local treatments for that such as suppositories, unguents, etc.
08-31-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
LilyRose

Hello Alicat,

I doj't have an answer sadly, but I just wanted to say I undestand how you feel. My little son (5 yo) has has a perianal abscess and fistula. It has been a year so far and not yet healed fully.

But I wanted to say that he is in no pain with it. The absess was initially very painful but once that was drained it stopped hurting basically. He has had some treatment for the fistula. I wish the fistula would heal, but I have to remind myself that it doesn't bother him now which is what matters.

I hope that helps. I think some fistulas can heal quickly, not all of them take a long time.

Take care,
LilyRose
09-01-2011, 05:33 AM   #9
MikeinBklyn
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sorry to hear about your son, I know his pain.

The only thing that closed the fistula, after the "laying open" surgery was going on Humira every ten days. The fistula closed in two days.

In Crohn's patients usually abscesses come from fistulas that tunnel and create a pocket, hence an abscess.

Good Luck and tell him to keep a positive attitude!
09-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
LilyRose

Hi Alicat,

How is your son going? Is the packing going OK, I hope the pain is settling down.
take care,
LilyRose
09-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
Lauren87

I had a perianal abscess in 2005. It was drained under general anestisia and then packed for 6 months until it healed. For 6 years I was abscess free. I have been on many meds for crohns and after my son was born stopped remicade and all meds completely. For a year and a half i had daily symptoms but nothing too bad. A few weeks into my 2nd pregnancy my crohns intensified and the perianal abscess came back in the same location. I had it drained over the weekend an currently have a malecot cathator in the wound to allow the area to heal without packing. They say it should come out in two weeks and at that point they will determine if I have a fistula,which they believe I do. They mentioned a seton but that is new to me. Just because my abcsess took 6 years to reoccur does not mean that it cannot happed again faster. I am now considering Humira. I know my GI will suggest it at my next appointment. Surgury scares me and I do not want to go through this again so I am more focused then ever on getting my crohns into remission for the first time ever. I feel for your son. This is hard enough on adults it must be awful for children.
09-09-2011, 07:03 AM   #12
guest3832

I recently had a perianal abscess drained, and it healed in 2 weeks. I was on a high protein diet and I also showered after each bathroom trip to avoid infection.

Hope your son has a speedy recovery.
09-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #13
JMC

I first got a peri-anal fistula and abscess in 1998. At the time I had not been diagnosed with Crohn's and visited my GP who gave me a course of anti-biotics. This reduced the infection, but did not get rid of it and after 3 years of intermittent problems, I was referred to a surgeon in 2001 and had it laid open and packed. It was quite a big fistula, probably as wide and deep as one of my fingers, so this was not a pleasant process.

This improved things, but the surgeon could not get a seton stitch in and warned me that there was a good chance it would come back, which it did. I had surgery on another two occasions over a period of 4 years before it was finally cured in 2005. The key for me was getting a setan stitch inserted and allowing this to cut through the fistula over an extended period. With this sort of problem, you have to be very careful with surgery as it can lead to being incontinent if the wrong muscles get damaged. I was very fortunate to be under the care of one of the best surgeons in the business who did a great job.

I occasionally get some soreness from that area when I am having a flare up, but it has never burst and bled as it did before the surgery. Generally, I think it is very hard to solve this sort of problem without surgery.
09-13-2011, 12:12 AM   #14
Kenny2hm

My abcess turned into a fistula. I had minor surgery to insert a seton stitch. After about 2 months the stitch cuts the flesh down to the muscle, not painful but uncomfortable as the knot in the stitch can move completely into the fistula track. After the stitch was removed the fistula continued to drain for about another month, then finally healed over. Time, patience and cleanliness healed it. I cant imagine being a child or teen with crohns, life's tough enough without this affliction. Keep positive.
06-11-2012, 06:31 AM   #15
Redsky77

I had a perianal surgery 4 weeks ago and told today all is good ,the wound was golf size ball and about 1.5 iinch deep. The nurse is very experienced, she changed the packing every day for week 1, 3 times a week in week 2, and then twice a week in week 3 and week 4, 5 only outside bandage change.She gave me allevyn bandages and asked me to keep the dressing in and change the outer a packing if it gets soggy. The would was leaking foul. She said fiddling too much with the wound causes prolong healing. I was spraying the outer wound with dettol and drying it and placing the bandage over existing packing everyday. Nurse was changing the packing.

Dr gave me only one week antibiotic, which I requested more and continued till 2nd week. The maximum amount of co amixiclav 500/125 capsul allowed is 2 weeks anyway.

I stayed in bed for three weeks, no movement and pressure on wound, sitting a bit.
Week 3-4 Llight walking , was going out for taking fresh air. Oxygen help to keep circulation going and additional protein in red meat (salmon ) provides zinc required to heal wound fast.
Week 5 resuming normal activity. It's heald and (touch wood) completely gone only tiny hole and split pea size depth left.It looks like nothing was there before. Now only outside covering with bandage and no need for packing.

Additional help: stay positive, the abscess are caused by stress and flair with stress.
Diet:Lots of fish, yogurt , orange juice , fruit , green veg( yes lack of zinc in body contributes to the abscess).No skipping meals, three times a day large plate of food n salad.
Avoid milk, it causes pus, I drank orange juice with half tea spoon turmeric in it to Fasten the healing and increasing antibiotic in body , i took it for few weeks.For bowel movement, took fybogel ( spaghula husk) drink so no strain at bottom.

I was so scared thought it will never go, but believe me it will heal soon. It needs care and dedication. I am 37 years old and average built! Don't have crown disease but I think there may be something here I can help with, abscess are nasty but get cured. I have been reading online to change packing everyday for 3 weeks post surgery and was anxious what nurse was advising me but in the end it worked out ok due to experienced nurse. The surgeon tod me to keep the wound dry, I used baby wipes after bowel movement, first werk only hot towel clean then wore water proof nappy before shower carefully, no baths .the nurse wipes it and uses salin water before packing it. Nurse told me no more packing is requred as the wound is inside like a pea nd outside tiny hole.only outer bandage is applying.

Hth.
Hth.
06-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #16
nate1993

hi guys was diagnosed with crohns in april 2012 and it came completely out of the blue, i was only 4stone 10 pounds when i went into hospital and was completely under nourished. I was in hospital for a total of 5 weeks and my symptoms seem to not be as bad as they were. I am on a lot of medication but now weight 7 Stone.

While in hospital i had a drain in for a week, they was draining a collection in my right buttock. after a couple of days of being released, an abscess formed around the drainage site and eventually burst and all of this pus came out, it ran out for about 10 days and i was given flucloxacin to clear it up. Now last few days abscess has returned in the exact same place and yesterday i had it drained. although it had just burst again they said they wanted to open it up more in order to get it all out. i was wondering if anyone knows how long it is going to take to heal?

The cut is about an inch deep and has to been packed with gauze and heavily dressed otherwise it leaks everywhere. it is really painful aswell when they pack it. Thanks

Last edited by nate1993; 06-13-2012 at 04:18 AM.
06-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #17
shmo

From what I've gathered, if you have your Crohn's under control then the rest will stay away. Whether the Crohn's is under control through medication or diet. I'm currently waiting for a two month old abscess wound to heal and the surgeon told me (5 minutes ago in fact) that the only way for it to heal is if the Crohn's calms down.
09-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #18
taneybaby

It's been 4weeks today & I'm in more pain now than before operation. I had a perianal abscess drained from left inner buttock 2millimeters from my anus. Hole is approx 3centremitres wide going 10centremetres deep. Surgeon said it was largest his ever seen or done. I'm not coping at all, I had enough going back to hospital weekly complaining. Only to be told keep taking pain meds & salt baths 3times a day and or after every bowel movement. They never once packed wound, I did have a silver roll think thingy inside, this was removed 2days after operation. I was in hospital for almost a week. I'm taking zinc & magnisium & olive leaf extract. Past 2days I can smell it, it stinks, all pussy & gooey, draining heaps also bleeding lots at random times. A friend of a friend contacted me saying she had the same, same doctor, same hospital & she got MRSA. I pray I haven't got that too
09-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
Aussie

Perianal Crohns can be very difficult to treat. There are a few general principles.

1. Usually pain means pus and pus needs to be drained. Should also be on oral antibiotics, ciprofloxacin would be the best, well tolerated. MRI of the Perianal region probably the best test to give a roadmap of the fistula(s).

2. If you have a fistula that is discharging then you should have a non-cutting seton stitch inserted, the role is just to keep the fistula tract open so drainage can occur and an abscess doesn't redevelop.

3. Once drainage is secure (ie. abscess drained and seton in) then you can look at treating the fistula - biologic therapy in combination with antibiotics is the best for this.

4. Once the drainage from the fistula stops the seton needs to be removed (the fistula tract won't heal with the seton in, it's job is to keep it open) to allow the tract to heal. Usually a good time is between the 2nd and 3rd loading dose infusions of Infliximab for example.

5. If the Perianal disease is truly ruining your life, then a defunctioning ileostomy is a possibility, although successful reversal is rare.

6. Need to control luminal Crohn's which can drive the fistula, so,will need endoscopic assessment, particularly of the rectum.

Good luck.
09-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #20
smallfry

My Support Groups:
I wish there was a secret!! Everyone is different but for me, I've had them since 2006 and they don't seem to go away, they always come back. My abscessing developed while on remicade, anti-biotics are not working and neither is Humira. Boo to abscessing and fistula! Sorry I don't have the secret. All the best.
09-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #21
Aussie

Hi Smallfry, if you're getting a lot of abscesses that aren't being driven by poorly healing perianal fistulae, it might be worth seeing a skin specialist to exclude a condition called Hidradenitis Suppurativa, can be commonly mistaken for perianal Crohn's.

Best wishes.

Last edited by Aussie; 09-07-2012 at 01:38 AM.
09-07-2012, 01:31 AM   #22
annawato

My Support Groups:
I've had two perianal abscesses, thankfully they both healed on their own after drainage and haven'r recurred touchwood. Intestinal abscesses however just come and only go with long hospital stays, tpn, iv antibiotics and iv hydrocortisone. Then reoccur a few months later. I wish I could advise some magic bullet, Aussies advice (above) seems pretty good though. All the best,

you name it, i've tried and failed it! currently on- waiting to see whats new and reducing pred
temp. ileostomy reversed feb 2011, new ileostomy, nov 2012
4 resections plus removal of adhesions etc, recurrent intestinal abscesses
lyme disease, depression, sacroileitis, chronic pain and......Crohn's..........
09-07-2012, 03:32 AM   #23
Avw

My Support Groups:
From what I've gathered, if you have your Crohn's under control then the rest will stay away. Whether the Crohn's is under control through medication or diet. I'm currently waiting for a two month old abscess wound to heal and the surgeon told me (5 minutes ago in fact) that the only way for it to heal is if the Crohn's calms down.
This is what both my colorectal surgeon and GI have told me. My first experience with an abscess was in 2006. I was first put on steroids and antibiotics, but these only suppressed it, making it impossible to find and drain and more painful. Eventually it did come to the surface and was operated on, packed, and seton placed for a short time. It healed well and never reoccured until beginning of this year when my body stopped responding to all conventional therapies. I've had 5 procedures in the last few months to drain multiple abscesses/fistulas and have several setons in place, and still have one abscess that is too deep to operate without causing permanent damage. Anyway... bottom line is that as long as the crohn's is running amuck, the fistulas and abscesses will too! My first one healed successfully because my crohn's was being controlled with biologics.

Being that I'm not on any crohn's treatments for now, I have been attempting to alleviate them via nutrition (TPN) and supplements. I have not had any new abscesses since starting TPN, and the deep one seems to be doing a little better, though it's hard to tell if it's the TPN, antibiotics, or pain meds, or all three! Oh, and frequent hot epsom salt baths do wonders for alleviating the pressure! I really hope your son's heal well and stay gone! My personal opinion is that a seton is the way to go. His colorectal surgeon can work with him, and graduate down to smaller and smaller setons until they are no longer necessary. Good luck with everything, I know how much of a pain in the butt these things are!

Previous Medications:
Every oral medication,
Remicade,
Humira,
Cimzia, etc..

Currently Taking:
LDN 3 mg
VSL #3
Prednisone 10 mg
Flagyl 1000 mg
Entocort
Protonix
Xanax as needed

Insurance still rejecting appeals for Stem Cell Transplant. Tested positive for JCV Antibody so Tysabri is not an option. Searching for matches in Cord Blood Registry and working with an attorney to fight insurance company. Fingers and toes crossed!
09-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #24
annawato

My Support Groups:
AVW, I was wondering if you are in hospital on tpn and iv antibiotics or do nurses come to your home? Are your abscesses all perianal or intestinal as well? just wondering cos your story is soooo similar to mine.
09-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #25
Avw

My Support Groups:
No, I am doing TPN at home, and taking oral antibiotics instead of IV for now. I go to a home health care center once a week to get my dressings changed and blood drawn, they deliver my TPN supplies to my home once or twice a week as well. As far as I know, all my fistulas were perianal, until recently. After having so many procedures and not getting any relief for whatever is in my right cheek, I asked if I could have an MRI... The MRI showed a fistula coming from my intestines going into my pelvic region, but upon being admitted to the hospital, they conducted several CT Scans, which showed nothing. My doctor called it an 'anomaly' but then again, my doctor isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the tanning bed. Just hoping to get some real answers at my evaluation in Chicago next week... I can't take this unexplainable pain and having no idea what's going on inside of me any longer.

Annawato- for your sake, i truly hope your's isn't as similar to mine as you thought! if it is... well, i feel your pain!
09-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #26
smallfry

My Support Groups:
Hi Smallfry, if you're getting a lot of abscesses that aren't being driven by poorly healing perianal fistulae, it might be worth seeing a skin specialist to exclude a condition called Hidradenitis Suppurativa, can be commonly mistaken for perianal Crohn's.

Best wishes.
Thx Aussie,
I'm not sure that's what it is but I will keep it in mind for sure. If all I had was abscessing then maybe I would be more inclined to think it was. But all the years of D, nausea, and scopes stating it's crohn's colitis makes me lean towards the crohns being the culprit. I see my GP and GI next week so I will feel them out. Thx! and best wishes to you as well.
09-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #27
Aussie

Hidradenitis is also seen in association with Crohn's, so I'm sure you have Crohn's, although long standing Hidradenitis can get quite severe and resemble nasty Perianal Crohns that is resistant to usual treatments. When it gets really bad, it may need surgical excision, usually by a plastic surgeon.
09-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #28
smallfry

My Support Groups:
Thx again Aussie, I'll bring it up at my next appt.!!
09-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #29
Lil Beak

Hello to all:

I have been lurking the forum for a few months now, ever since i had what i found out to be a perianal abscess drained in the ER in August 2012. I was hoping it wouldn't turn into this dreaded "fistula" i kept hearing about, but eventually after a few more weeks of persistent pus drainage, it was a fistula per my CR surgeon.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's after being hospitalized for a bad and long episode of bloody diarrhea in early July. Still dont know if the abscess/ fistula started due to an anal fissure i developed during the frequent and furious diarrhea and that fissure got infected, or if just plain ol' perianal Crohn's disease got me. Though, it is likely to be the Perianal Crohn's simply because my colonoscopy showed Crohn's in the colon only, and the extra-intestinal affects of that kind of Crohn's are usually manifested in the perianal region.

I have been to the CR surgeon's office 3 times since the first abscess drainage procedure in August. Each of those times it has been to have another incision and drainage done over the last incision because the skin kept healing over about every 2-3 weeks and creating another painful abscess. My CR Surgeon didn't operate right from the begining because he said my fistula seemed superficial (not involving too much sphincter muscle) and perhaps we should give my body a little time to see if it can heal the fistula on it's own. I wasn't prescribed any antibiotics either.

Since then i have noticed a definite trend in my fistula's ways. It seems that whenever i have a BM (normal or diarrhea) i get a swelling that developes in the fistula tract and the skin around the incision hole gets swollen too. It feels just like an abscess again: painful to walk, painful to contract the sphincter muscle; and the only thing that brings any form of relief is a hot soaking. I assume that this swelling is caused by stool filling up into the tract when i am passing a BM over the inner hole of the fistula tract. It always takes about 1-2 hours for the swelling to push pus and stool fragments out through the outer incision hole and then all is well again. The pain is so much less, and i feel pretty good.

I am going in for an Exam Under Surgery (EUA) with my CR surgeon on Oct 4th. He said that he will most likely be inserting a non-cutting seton so that the holes of the fistula tract don't continue to close up and allow the pus to painfully abscess or swell up inside the fistula tract when the skin closes over every few weeks. I am assuming that i am not a good candidate for a fistulotomy right now because my infected anal gland that started this whole thing is obviously not finished drainging ye, and might not be for quite some time. I am ok with the idea of a seton staying in for as long as it needs to - as long as that means that i wont be in pain for 2 hours after each and every bowel movement anymore.

Can anyone else tell me if their fistula operates with the same pattern of [BM- then swelling- then pain- then release after a few hours- then fine until next BM]? If your fistula has a different pattern, then please share that with me. Also, if anoyne has a non-cutting seton in place please let me know how it was for you after surgery and if the tract ever gets swollen or painful even with the seton in, and when does a non-cutting seton come out? Does it ever come out for someone who exhibits perianal Crohn's disease?

I am curious about what others are going through since i feel so alone in this. NO BODY understands. I don't have a single person i know that can relate to this... Thanks for any of your replies!

Lil Beak
09-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #30
Avw

My Support Groups:
Hi Lil Beak,
Sorry you are having to deal with these things. I wouldn't wish an abscess on my worst enemy.

To answer your question, yes- I do have an abscess/fistula which acts exactly the way you described. I have multiple perianal abscesses which still have setons in place and are still draining... a lot. But, all this time, the main source of pain has been deep in my right cheek, and even after 5 or 6 surgeries my doctor could not find anything in that area. I finally had to demand an MRI, which did show the fistula, but both my GI and Colorectal Surgeon told me it was inoperable.

I've been seeking second opinions on the matter because I can't have the Stem Cell Transplant until all my abscesses/fistulas are no longer infected. Saw the GI specialist at Northwestern in Chicago and he conducted a special "Fistula MRI", and referred me to another Colorectal Surgeon there. Unfortunately the earliest he can see me is November 9th. Oh well, after a year of being in unbearable pain, not being able to sit, and being on pain meds, what's another two months?

As far as Setons go, the doc said mine will be in for the foreseeable future. And that's fine with me, they really don't bother me, and if it keeps me from having any more pain in my butt then they can put as many setons in there as they want!!
And I've almost had immediate relief after having an abscess drained and seton placed (this time being the exception since there is a deep tissue abscess).

If you can remember, when you go in for surgery, ask for a "peri bottle"- it's a squirt bottle for your bottom. They give it to women after childbirth but it works great for butt surgery too! After every go, squirt the area first. Then dab or blot, never wipe! Get good quality toilet paper, some people like baby wipes, I've found they burn like hell but that's just me. And take as many hot epsom salt baths a day as you can manage.

Hope you get to feeling better and feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions or just want to chat! It does suck feeling so alone with all this, and no one, especially the doctors, seem to understand how EXTREMELY painful these things are!! I would rather go through childbirth every single day for the rest of my life than deal with the rectal pain associated with abscesses/fistulas!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » What's the secret to healing perianal abscess?