Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » What religion do you identify with, if any?

View Poll Results: What religion do you identify with, if any?
Christianity 127 43.34%
Judiasm 16 5.46%
Islam 6 2.05%
Hinduism 2 0.68%
Buddhism 9 3.07%
Agnostic / Atheist 92 31.40%
Undecided 13 4.44%
Other 28 9.56%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

07-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #61
steelerfan

My Support Groups:
Absolutely not Jim. It is our duty to hold others accountable for their actions. We will not be perfect and as long as we are humble and understand that, and when we sin we are genuinely repentant then we are walking the way of the lord.
4g Pentasa 2x a day
Remicade every 8 weeks
Calcium/Vita D supplement

33 I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.

John 16:33
07-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #62
Jim Gonsler

My Support Groups:
SteelerFan,

Amen to that. Makes being alive all worth it doesn'tit? You have two beautiful daughters. Being from Detroit and a big Lion fan, I see the two cities a lot alike. God Bless,

Jim
Suffered badly with Crohn's/Ileitis till diagnosis in 1971and received bowel resection surgery to fix resulting obstruction and perforation the spring of that year. Few symptoms displayed since then, but diagnosed with Celiac Disease about 6 years ago.
Take Asacol occasionally for flare-ups (due mostly to antibiotics), supplements like multi-vitamins, Calcium and OPC-3 in Isotonix form.
07-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #63
steelerfan

My Support Groups:
It does...and thank you about my daughters...they mean the world to me. You know what though, sadly, in recent months, my faith has wavered a bit. I just had surgery for Crohn's and simultaneously received other personal news that really brought me to rock bottom. It was the first time I questioned Christ but I always try to refer myself to the verse in my signature. I know I'm not going to have a cake walk but I am still human and I still wonder....I know my faith will rebound.
07-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #64
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Dear Jesus save me from your followers!
07-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #65
Slim Johnson

Dear Jesus save me from your followers!
It's ironic how many "Christians" there are out there, that are absolutely NOT following the way of Christ.

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
07-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #66
steelerfan

My Support Groups:
No,going to church definitely does not make you a Christian. It is your heart and your relationship with Christ. The acceptance of his word as truth and genuinely trying to reflect Christ.
07-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #67
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I agree and think most Christians fail to see Jesus true message. He was a hippie and very liberal.
07-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #68
marti

i am a born again christian
07-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #69
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
I am a Christian I grew up going to church as a child. My Husband became a Christian after we got married. We currently don't go to church very often because the church we've been going to is more focused on families & we don't have any children. But, we do still pray every night before bed.

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday or Mesalamine DR 1.2gm 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday, Tylenol 3 with codeine 300-30mg (when needed)

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
07-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #70
Jim Gonsler

My Support Groups:
Jesus was considered to be controversial for his day for sure. EXAMPLE: one of his ideas was That people were to love on another including their enemies. The scribes and pharisees the religious rulers of the day said you should hate your enemies and not associate with those not of the Jewish faith. However, Jesus never disregarded nor contradicted any of the scriptures in the Old Testament. So was he liberal or conservative?

Having a good church home is very important, as long as it is a Gospel teaching church. Why? You can share what you are going through, either the good or the bad with its members. I've been helped through some very difficult times by my church members, especially a very ugly divorce I went through years ago.
07-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #71
kiny

I'm a christian, I was brought up with that ideology. I won't say I'm a good christian, but I do understand and appreciate the core values of christianity, and I turned to religion a few times when my life was hell, it helped.
10-01-2012, 04:32 AM   #72
Bioheaded

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
10-01-2012, 05:07 AM   #73
Earnellzwifey

Jehovah's Witness but currently disfellowshipped working my way back.
Iron,multi-vitamin, B12 injections, magic mouthwash,
Zofran.

32 medical conditions and counting. 22 pills a day with daily blood sugar testing and urinary cathing.

If you live in the loo , because you always gotta poo , then this is the place for you.
05-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #74

dont forget that "religions" aren't equal parts of the population so the poll results can be misleading.
05-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #75
SCCrohnie

My Support Groups:
I agree and think most Christians fail to see Jesus true message. He was a hippie and very liberal.

That's not really true. He's pretty specific and it helps to study the OT to understand what his holiness requires. It's far from liberal.
05-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #76
Trysha

My Support Groups:
It does...and thank you about my daughters...they mean the world to me. You know what though, sadly, in recent months, my faith has wavered a bit. I just had surgery for Crohn's and simultaneously received other personal news that really brought me to rock bottom. It was the first time I questioned Christ but I always try to refer myself to the verse in my signature. I know I'm not going to have a cake walk but I am still human and I still wonder....I know my faith will rebound.
Hi steeler
Don't forget that Jesus also suffered when he spent 40 days and nights in the desert and then when He was dying on the Cross He called to His Father
"My God! Why hast thou forsaken Me." since His Father seeing the sins of the world on His only Son fractionally turned away from such a terrible sight.
This teaches us that God is always there for us, even when we run spiritually low or dry in the desert He is always there for us , we only have to ask Him for help.He will never fail us.
I do know how you feel,I am there myself many times when the illness gets us down or we are facing drastic surgery (as I am at present)
Feel better soon
Hugs and prayers
Trysha
05-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #77
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
SCCrohnie I'm not going to get into a debate with you but many Christians see Jesus as liberal. I respect your opinion to believe otherwise. Many mainstream denominations fall along more conservative or liberal theology. Personally in my studies it's pretty clear to me that most fail to understand his true word and I don't belong to any denomination but fall into the progressive camp.

I have an amazing relationship with Jesus and I truly believe in the power of prayer and in modern day miracles because I have witnessed some miraculous things in the name of God.
05-16-2014, 04:21 PM   #78
RowdyRowdy

My Support Groups:
"My God, my God; why have You forsaken me?". Jesus sweating drops of blood in Gethsemane. Healing the hurting and sick in the Temple where they were previously banned from entering. Having compassion on the blind man and the leper. I don't understand Crohn's and why God has allowed this, not completely; but what I read and am able to understand about Jesus has been my salvation on more than one day of hell on Earth. Thank you, Lord.
05-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #79
LodgeLady

I have often wondered how those with no religous beliefs cope with Crohn's? I have had to rely on my faith for strentgh in very hard times, especially Crohn's. I don't know how I would deal with it all without the help and trust in God.

So I ask the question, where do the non-believers go for strength in dealing with this aweful Crohn's disease?

Entocort , Prednisone, Pentasa, ,Protonix, Xifaxan

Lots of learning.

Lots of praying.....

05-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #80
theOcean

My Support Groups:
LodgeLady: I've been fortunate enough to have a wonderful, supportive family and SO throughout dealing with my illness. They're my strength, but I like to think that I'm my own strength as well. I've dealt with so much with this illness and like to remind myself of my own strength because of it, and that really does help. I feel that if I am positive enough and if I am doing everything I possibly can, I will get better and stay better.

My family and my SO also help motivate me, too. I want to be better for myself, ultimately -- but I want to be well for them, as well.

And now that I finally am in remission, I want to help others who have dealt with this illness any way I can. That's part of why I'm so happy I have this forum. It makes me feel that my experiences, awful though they are, can benefit others.
Unrelated Medication: 36mg Concerta, 75mg Pregabalin
Currently: In remission!
05-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #81
Susan2

My Support Groups:
I don't want to offend anyone and I am very pleased that many of you find that your faith enables you to cope with the myriad problems of Crohn's disease.

In answer to your question, however, if they are like me, non-believers go to the amazing world around them, to their friends and family (well, some members of their family!) and to their own inner strength.

I spent a lot of my teenage investigating Christianity but finally decided that I could see no sense or value in it. As far as I am concerned, what people believe is their own affair as long as they don't try to force their beliefs or the resultant actions of their beliefs onto others. I have tried to live my life following the general precept of doing as little harm as possible, whether it be to people or to the world around me.
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.
05-16-2014, 10:11 PM   #82
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I find this interesting because while it's by no means a scientific poll and doesnt have random selection it shows a much smaller Jewish population than I'd expect. From everything I read this disease pretty much started as being one that disproportionately affects eastern European Jews. I recall one figure even suggesting close to 70% but I can't cite that not knowing where or if I even saw that. I wonder if that has changed or there aren't many Jewish people on the forum.
05-16-2014, 10:49 PM   #83
happyballerina

My Support Groups:
I'm a Jewish atheist.

Dx IBD August 22, 2014
Dx Crohn's Disease September 10, 2014

Current IBD meds: Entocort, Humira
Past IBD meds: Rowasa

Future doctor
05-17-2014, 02:21 AM   #84
theOcean

My Support Groups:
I'm Jewish in ethnicity, as well. Dad's side. He has Crohn's, and his father had Crohn's, too. But: otherwise an atheist.
05-17-2014, 04:49 AM   #85
Dackelmann

My Support Groups:
Grew up in an atheist household-I am atheist- background of mixed Christians,atheists and a smidgeon of Jewishness. Never been a believer- the UC came from my Goy Grandmother. I adore the Jewish poets of Spain from 900 -1250 like Judah Ha-Levi and Moses Ibn Ezra. You don't have to be religious to appreciate great religious art and music. Spent two years in Buddhist bootcamp- almost became a Theravadin Bhikkhu (monk) and am constantly surprised by the lack of knowledge some self confessed Buddhists have of the sasana or dhamma in general.
Each to their own what they believe in or not - so long as your are a good person it don't matter a rats.
I do hold out a belief that South Sydney Rabbitohs will win the NRL premiership in my lifetime -it gives me hope to go on.

GO THE BUNNIES !
05-17-2014, 04:50 AM   #86
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
I have many pastors in my family among those are some who are now deceased. My Great Grandpa, a couple Great Uncles (one still alive & serving) & an Uncle.

Last edited by Cross-stitch gal; 05-17-2014 at 01:20 PM.
05-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #87
zilla7777

My Support Groups:
I was born a Catholic Christian, moves to agnosticism throughout my younger years and then through my dabbling in religious philosophy I have come to the belief of Deism. However, I also feel as though Buddhism feels as though it is a religion worth worshiping. Neither conflict though, so it is possible to have a Deist-Buddhist.

Diagnosed mid 2009
Past Tx: Prednisolone, Enteral Nutrition
Current: Azathioprine, Omeprazole, EN supplements, Small bowel resection to remove 2 strictures.

"How we survive is what makes us who we are!" - Rise Against

05-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #88

I'm Jewish in ethnicity, as well. Dad's side. He has Crohn's, and his father had Crohn's, too. But: otherwise an atheist.
Are you trying to say you are Jewish according to Christian law? to me that makes no sense.
05-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #89
theOcean

My Support Groups:
Are you trying to say you are Jewish according to Christian law? to me that makes no sense.

Jewish is an ethnicity. My dad's side of the family is all Russian/Jewish, and I was raised with some of the customs as a child but not beyond that. I have no idea what Christian law is because I don't have a faith and was never educated about it.
05-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #90
SCCrohnie

My Support Groups:
I have an amazing relationship with Jesus and I truly believe in the power of prayer and in modern day miracles because I have witnessed some miraculous things in the name of God.

Me & you both brother.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » What religion do you identify with, if any?