Share Facebook

12-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
robbo87

My Support Groups:
Crohns and joint pain?

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has any experience with joint pain? at the moment my knee's and feet are in absolutle agony and especially in a mornin i can barely walk at all. it can ease off a bit during the day but at the moment its terrible and really getting me down, could it possibly be arthiritis or something else?

also any tips on how i can ease it?
Regards
Martin
12-02-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
Jennjenn

I am experiencing the same thing. It is terrible. Some days are bearable where I just try to go on and ignore it. I feel like I mask very well a lot of my pain infront of others. Then other days I just want to cry and feel like I cannot move. I am not sure if its from the Remicade but the last 2 months seems to be a lot worse when I got the increase in the dosage. I wish I could give advice on how to ease up the pain but I am wondering the same thing of what to do.
12-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
farm
Captain Insaneo

Joint pain and Crohns have went hand-in-hand with me. NSAID's are good for joint pain (Advil, Naproxen, etc) but are bad for Crohns. So it's a catch 22.
12-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
NatalieMT

I have the same joint problems, for me it's mainly elbows, wrists, shoulders though. I can't sleep anymore with all the pain. I'll try to turn over, not be able to, then try to get back into the position I was in but find that too painful. Most of the time I end up getting up!

My consultant told me he has patients who do take ibuprofen without adverse affect. He said if I wanted to try it to go ahead but stop immediately if I did feel my intestines getting worse.
12-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
beth

My Support Groups:
I think I have found the answer, at least for me... My joint pains are fading into the background now. It's injuries to my back and I believe my shoulder that are currently playing up most.

Initial revelation was pain relief patches. I have a 5mcg/h buprenorphine patch, which is low enough not to cause me any side effects, like constipation - which is what tab's did to me horribly. But has enough oomph to take the edge of the pains to I can get on with my life, well, at least enabled me to be able to tie my own shoe laces - it got kind of embarrasing to ask hubby.

Second line of attack seems to be gabapentin - maybe called neurontin ins the US? . It's early days so far, only two days in, but it's promising. General aches seem down and acute pain from back is less aggravating. Hoping it;s not just placebo effect of Doing Something!
12-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
Guest1

Joint pain is an ugly "side effect" of Crohn's. A lot of us get it, myself included. Mine just started a few months ago and when my right side of my lower abdomen flares, my right knee and elbows with "flare" along with it to a rhythm! Way freaky and uncomfortable.
12-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
DanSJVDavis

Try a regimen of Tylenol Arthritis. Tylenol's one of the pain meds that's not bad for Crohn's and if you take it as directed on the bottle it'll build up in the system eventually (i.e. every 8 hours, IIRC). Might at least take some of the edge off. I have a lot of joint pain issues with my shoulders, knees, hips, neck and lower back, so I know where you're coming from. You also might try taking some Glucosamine. I've heard it's good for the joints and possibly not bad for Crohn's. I've been taking it for a couple weeks for my neck, but I ran out.

I Was A Middle Age Writer, my blog on my journey toward becoming a published novelist.

Podunkville FX Pics
Podunkville FX
And here's my MySpace Profile: Dan Davis of Podunkville FX MySpace
12-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
twob

The vitamin C energy boost packets with MSM is good for joint pain. Powder you mix with water, tea whatever and works pretty quick. Be sure to get the one with MSM. Many people with Crohsn do not produce enough MSM and this helps. Dr. told my son to take one everyday.
12-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
robbo87

My Support Groups:
thanks guys, well ive been to the docs today and hes told me to take ibuprofen, it has eased off a bit but im unsure about the ibuprofen as ive heard it can make crohns worse? and im having enough problems with feeling sick and stuff as it is at the moment! lol
12-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #10
beth

My Support Groups:
Both my surgeon and gastroenterologist are very against any nsaids or even the cox-2 inhibitors. Before I got the buprenorphine patch I was downing codeine as that was the only thing that would keep the pain at bay without too many side effects.
12-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #11
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
I get slight pain in my knees but it isnt usualy too bad. I dont know what to do about it. I have mentioned it to my doctors, but they didnt say much. :/
x x x x
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/
12-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #12
pb4

Joint pain is one of the many extraintestinal manifestations from having an IBD (CD or UC), NSAIDs are hard on IBDers as it promotes bleeding in the bowels and that's why we're told to avoid it (with the exception of special circumstances under your GI's approval) what about trying Humira or Remicade, they are designed for arthritis and are used as cross-over meds for IBD as well, so if your insurance doesn't cover it for your IBD then they may cover it for your arthritis.

12-03-2009, 06:21 PM   #13
pewpewlasers

twob said:
The vitamin C energy boost packets with MSM is good for joint pain. Powder you mix with water, tea whatever and works pretty quick. Be sure to get the one with MSM. Many people with Crohsn do not produce enough MSM and this helps. Dr. told my son to take one everyday.
I don't know what it was but I had one of those Emergen-C packets, some Acai flavor and a few minutes later it gave me horrible poops.
12-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #14
raclob

Boy, this thread hits home with me. Supposedly Crohn's and pain go hand in hand. I recently went to a rheumatologist to be tested for RA. Still waiting for the bloodwork to come back, & they've also scheduled an ultrasound on my hand. My rheumatologist said that even if it isn't RA, many Crohn's patients have something called "reactive" arthritis. With our autoimmune systems screwed up in the first place, some degree of joint pain & arthritis is probably to be expected.

My issues are compounded by the fact that I had a very messed up back before I was diagnosed with Crohn's. I've got 8 - yes, count them, 8 - herniated disks in my back & neck. So I have probably been on just about every pain medication that can be prescribed. Someone mentioned Neurontin...that's a pretty good medication in my opinion. I'm on 400mg three times a day. I also take 200mg of Celebrex daily. And percocet when needed.
12-03-2009, 11:24 PM   #15
teeny5

My Support Groups:
I get joint pain mostly in my hips and knees. My GI said never to take anything but Tylenol. Never tried the one for arthritis though.

Previous meds: Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Entocort.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson"
12-04-2009, 04:55 AM   #16
Tan

Can totally relate I have extreme back pain and joint pain in my knees, ankles & sometimes my elbows. Joys of having Crohns, I try not to take anything until I get to the point were Im in too much pain to be able to concentrate on anything else but the pain! Im hoping once my flare is under control that it will subside a bit but have read that is not always the case. Good luck.
12-04-2009, 06:03 AM   #17
beth

My Support Groups:
Having just looked up "Tylenol Arthritis" it just looks like a controlled release acetaminephrin formulation. IME I'd go for tylenol and codeine as it seems to do a much better job. YMMV.
12-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #18
mwb3779
Kitchenhawk

I have been having a lot of hip and knee pain recently. I was told the same thing to only take Tylenol also. Joint pain is certainly not fun. The more I walk and "stretch it out" it helps. Usually not more than 10 mins at a time. After that, it gets very tight and painful. I was having shoulder pains, but I used an icy hot patch for a couple days and that helped.
W.C.C.....Charter member

...Never trust a fart
07-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #19
RANDYSINGH

Hey buddy i have the same problem in the morning as soon as i role out of bed every step is aganizing my ankles my achilles tendons and the worst part is turning the door nob to opent the bedroom door and than walking down the stairs usually as the day goes on the pain goes away but returns close to bed time and again in the morning i dont know what the heck is going on
08-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #20
my buns are burnin

I am newly diagnosed and I am having pain in my elbow and my hip.. not to mention the toilet issues which are just lovely. It is nice to see I am not alone.
08-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #21
chunky

i find these flare ups usually last 2 to 3 weeks but since i started taking arnica tablets they only last 2 to 3 days a big difference! i dont know if this will help anyone else but its certainly helped me and the fact that i dont have any side affects is brilliant good luck
08-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #22
Mozart

Back in April after almost a year on Remicade, I developed what I would call roving joint pain. One day it would be in my knee, next day my wrist, next day my finger and on and on. I felt like I was a constant complainer. I finally went to the dr. she prescribed sulfasalazine it took a few weeks but the it really helped the pain.
08-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #23
Bob Rose

I just joined this group and it's very painful to see what so many are going thru. I nearly died twice from crohns and it's taken 20 years but I'm drug free and my symptoms are so much better. Diet, stress reduction, careful during high allergen times outside did it. You'll never get better permanently using drugs to repress immune system reaction, it will just come back worse.
08-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #24
zazasnana

My Support Groups:
I had fistula plug surgery a week ago. 3 days ago i woke up and every joint in my body hurt. I could hardly get out of bed. I thought it had something to do with the surgery, but after reading these comments it sounds like this is yet another problem with crohns. Im recently diagnosed and learning more and more. Sounds like this journey in life isnt going to be much fun. But i will deal, i know it could be so much worse.
08-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #25
lola99

I had joint pain when i was at my worst. It could have been the prednisone too. I don't have joint pain anymore since my symptoms have toned down. I would never recommend taking nsaids ever. Thats what landed me in the hospital and gave me an ulcer too. I was given nsaids after my 2nd son's birth and i ended up going to the er and getting diagnosed with crohns. Since nsaids make crohns worse.
08-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #26
tek254

I was having joint pain, usually in conjunction with a flare. Referred to rheumatologist who diagnosed with AS (Ankylosing Spondylitis) which is more common to those with IBD than those without. Now instead of dealing with one problem( several) I know how the luxury of dealing with two diseases. Talk to your GI or primary care physician. Turns out I have had this for approx 15 years. I chalked it up to rigors of work(firefighter/medic).
08-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #27
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
My joints hurt too and I find I can't walk as fast as I used to. Climbing stairs really hurts.

I started eating chicken cartlige to help. They say the collagen is helpful for supporting the joints.
08-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #28
lola99

My joints hurt too and I find I can't walk as fast as I used to. Climbing stairs really hurts.

I started eating chicken cartlige to help. They say the collagen is helpful for supporting the joints.
Aloe vera juice is another thing you can try that is supposed to help with crohns and joint problems.
08-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #29
Bob Rose

Be careful of Aloe Vera it's caustic and irritating to some.
08-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #30
lola99

I've been using it an it doesn't bother me. So i guess its on a case by case basis.