Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Diets and Supplements for Crohn's Disease and other IBD

02-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
David
Co-Founder

Diets and Supplements for Crohn's Disease and other IBD

There are countless diets and supplements for people with Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, and other forms of IBD. It can be overwhelming at times and you may have a hard time knowing where to start. This thread is a work in progress that will be an effort to try and organize the various information present on this forum regarding diet and supplements. Please respond to this thread with links to other threads that may benefit members. Obviously there's a lot of work to be done, your help is appreciated

Specific Diets
Specific Carbohydrate Diet
About the Specific Carbohydrate Diet
Specific Carbohydrate Support
Specific Carbohydrate Diet Discussion

Paleolithic (Paleo) Diet
About the Paleo Diet
Paleo Diet Discussion

Low FODMAP Diet
Low FODMAP Diet

Lofflex Diet
About the Lofflex Diet
Lofflex Diet Discussion

Elimination Diet
About the Elimination Diet
Success with Elimination Diet

Liquid Diets
About Liquid Diets
About Enteral, Elemental, and Total Parental Nutrition
Enteral Nutrition Forum
Success with Enteral/Elemental Nutrition
Modulen Diet

Low Residue Diet
About the Low Residue Diet

Maker's Diet
The Maker's Diet
The Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin

Vegetarian
Is Being Vegetarian Possible?

Raw
Raw Food
Raw Vegan

Vitamins and Minerals
Vitamin and Mineral Deficiencies
Vitamin B12
Vitamin D
Vitamin D and Crohn's Disease
Vitamin K2
Iron Supplementation Tips

Probiotics
About Probiotics
Probiotic Brand Reviews

Supplements
Turmeric / Curcumin
Krill Oil
Protein Shakes

Other Popular/Important Diet Related Threads
Cooking for IBD
Your Safe and Unsafe Foods
N-3 to N-6 Fatty Acid Ratio
Psyllium Husks
Sprouting
Carrot Juice
What are you eating right now?
Fasting
Folate And Zinc Interaction
Electrolyte Recipes for proper hydration

Discussion of Specific Foods
Alcohol
Alcohol 2
Aloe Vera Juice
Brazil Nuts
Cinnamon
Chia Seeds
Coffee
Green Tea
Honey
Hot Dogs
Hot Sauce
Kefir
Maltodextrin
Potatoes
Potatoes 2
Wiki entry for Potatoes
Sardines
Steak
Stevia
Smoothies
Tea
02-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Hey David,

Do you think a vegetarian/vegan diet fits here? I know there are few threads about them and in one you put a fab link to omega 3's.

Also maybe adding oats to the discussion of specific foods???

Dusty.
02-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
David
Co-Founder

By all means, yes. Please edit in any pertinent threads
03-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
Jim Gonsler

My Support Groups:
Lately I've been wondering if there may be natural supplements out there, that are completely safe to be consumed, and powerful enough to effectively boost our natural immune system to the point where it can effectively fight off disease and also prolong our life expectancy? So many products advertised on TV and elsewhere seem to be effective in controlling symptoms of say arthritis, allergies or asthma, etc. but at what cost? The disclaimers following the ads in most cases warn of the potential dangers of using these products because they restrict the immune system and leave you vulnerable to a host of infectious disorders. Lately, I've had to take antibiotics for some dental work I've received. Due to my Crohn's condition, I can hardly tolerate any of them because they cause bad flare-ups in my gut. Why?, I'm told because the antibiotics kill all the bacteria in you system (including your digestion), both the good and bad. Wouldn't it make more sense if we could build up our natural defenses to do the work for us, instead of relying on stuff made in the lab that can be harmful? I don't know, that's just my thought.
Suffered badly with Crohn's/Ileitis till diagnosis in 1971and received bowel resection surgery to fix resulting obstruction and perforation the spring of that year. Few symptoms displayed since then, but diagnosed with Celiac Disease about 6 years ago.
Take Asacol occasionally for flare-ups (due mostly to antibiotics), supplements like multi-vitamins, Calcium and OPC-3 in Isotonix form.

Last edited by Jim Gonsler; 03-27-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: take out picture
04-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Jim Gonsler

My Support Groups:
I just got another shot of B-12 last night. I feel like a new man! Fortunately my wife is a nurse and has given shots to thousands, so I rely on her a lot to give me this (very important) monthly shot. Anyway, I have been on B-12 shots routine now for several years and it makes a huge difference. My doctor told me that since my surgery, the part of my intestines (small bowel ileum area) that used to absorb B-12 is gone, making it impossible to get the required amount needed to carry on with any quality of life. I can tell when I start running low at, my energy starts draining away like a spent battery. I'm not sure if low B-12 levels is common in Crohn's suffers but getting these monthly injections sure works for me. Maybe a lot of you already know this, if not hope this helps.
04-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
David
Co-Founder

Thanks for sharing Jim! If, by the end of your month you're starting to feel fatigued, I would discuss the idea of getting shots more than once per month with your doctor. If you're feeling fatigued and it's B12 related, that means you're experiencing symptoms of deficiency. And you never want to get that low, you want to keep your levels above that point.
04-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Jim Gonsler

My Support Groups:
David,
Thanks for offering that up, you're probably right. I will try getting the B-12 injections a little more frequently.

Jim
05-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
Holly

My Support Groups:
Just a little query?
It seems from what I have read on this forum that Chinese is a general 'no-no' for anyone with Crohns, but at the moment I am really craving Chinese food, and I have resisted and resisted for the duration of my illness but I wondered if there is anyone out there who can eat it? and if so what do you eat?

...of the Terminal Ileum/Rectum
Ileostomy
...5/11/2014
Diagnosed w/Crohns
...24/4/2012
Medication
Pentasa 4x1g
Azathioprine 125mg
Due to Start Humira

Facebook: Holly Shorter Twitter: HollySho
Instagram: @hollysho

05-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
Justme:)

this was very helpful, thank you!
07-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
Snoflayk505

What a great list! Thanks David
Ostomy placed, Rectum removed 2010 etc etc etc..

MED FREE! Working with GI on the SCD Diet to manage my Crohn's =D
I'm VERY new to the diet. Seems certain foods cause my symptoms. Testing that theory!

My recipe blog
www.foreverscd.blogspot.com

SCD site (food list, beginners guide)
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...llegal_a-c.htm
07-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
David
Co-Founder

Thanks. Please reply with any additions you recommend. This is a continual work in progress.
07-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
The GAPS diet would be good to add. Many share of crohns positive testimonials. The GAPS (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) was designed for autism, schizophrenia, OCD, etc but has been shown to help with autoimmune diseases. The author is in the process of creating a new book called Gut & Physiology Syndrome but said the principles are mainly the same.
07-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
David
Co-Founder

Do we have a thread dedicated to it?
07-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
Peace_and_Charm

My input is NEVER eat chinese (I love it too, but it is the WORST food I have ever eaten in terms of aggravating Crohns-it has sent me to the ER more than once).

Ensure is a great protein shake that has helped to reduce my problems significantly.
07-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #15
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Do we have a thread dedicated to it?
It's been mentioned on a few threads like these: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=38488

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=34942

Last edited by nogutsnoglory; 07-22-2012 at 09:50 PM.
07-29-2012, 04:36 AM   #16
Naturelover

My Support Groups:
Does anyone know the name of a nutrient drink that doesn't have high fruitcose corn syrup?

The high fruitcose corn syrup bothers my stomach and sets off a chain reaction.

Thanks.
07-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #17
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
You mean like an ensure? Orgain might work for you.
09-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #18
beccalynn3

I got my first vit b12 shot last week, due to extreme fatigue. Even though all of my blood work was fine, normal vit b levels, my doctor wanted to see if it would help. It hasn't made a difference yet, but she said sometimes you have to have several before you notice any difference.
01-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #19
mvond5
Banned

My Support Groups:
What is your thought on the VSL#3? My son has been on the SCD diet since March 2012 and doing extremely well. I just want to push a little more to heal is GI tract.
01-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #20
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
What is your thought on the VSL#3? My son has been on the SCD diet since March 2012 and doing extremely well. I just want to push a little more to heal is GI tract.
Does your son have CD or UC? VSL3 has been proven to be effective for UC but I don't think there is any research (at least yet) suggesting efficacy for CD.
01-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #21
mvond5
Banned

My Support Groups:
Does your son have CD or UC? VSL3 has been proven to be effective for UC but I don't think there is any research (at least yet) suggesting efficacy for CD.
Matthew has CD. Yes, I have noticed that most of the research has been done on UC.
01-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #22
mreyn

My Support Groups:
Question: IS it better to use Krill oil or Udos Oil Blend?
01-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #23
kss

My Support Groups:
I basically do a gluten free vegan diet mixed with regular fasts and a lot of smoothies. I guess it could be called the "gluten free vegan smoothie" diet. LOL. It works really well for me.

It would be really cool if crohnsforum could put together a group of people willing to all try a specific diet at the same time and report results. I'll happily volunteer.
01-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #24
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Question: IS it better to use Krill oil or Udos Oil Blend?
Krill oil is a fantastic source of EPA & DHA omega 3 fatty acids. It's where fish like Salmon get their pink colors and their fatty acids. Just be sure you don't have a shrimp allergy. The Udos blend I believe is a flax vegetarian one and higher omega 6 fatty acids which should be avoided. Between the two I would choose the krill.
02-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #25
mreyn

My Support Groups:
Thanks so much for that. I found a krill oil w/astaxanthin for kids or I found this one:

Other Ingredients: medium chain triglycerides, pharmaceutical quality fish oil (anchovies, sardines), borage seed oil, evening primrose seed oil, all natural flavoring, vitamin E, green tea extract, vitamin D3

I cant remember what the ratio is supposed to be for dha/epa.

Also , I'm looking for a good multi for him which has no iron , 500 mg vit c, easily digestible with absorption issues...etc. I had found a really good one that's liquid but it has over 200 things in it and with remicade, I was trying to find something more basic. I had found one, but it's also liquid and he hates it so I'm trying to find something like it but softgels or tablets. It is Childlife multis, vit c, and d3.

If anyone has any brands of fish oils, probiotics, or multivitamins for kids I would love to have some to compare. Thanks
08-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #26
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
There is a vitamin I used to get at the Natural foods store near me. It is called ALIVE. It was very expensive but had real fruit and veggies as a main ingredient along with other good things. Anyone have any knowledge about these vitamins? Are they as good as they seem to be?
Now they came out with a solid version, not a capsule you can buy in Walmart.
08-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #27
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
723 I think ALIVE is a pretty good and comprehensive multivitamin. I try to get organic fruits and veggies so I don't purchase it but have used it about 6 years ago.
08-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #28
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
723 I think ALIVE is a pretty good and comprehensive multivitamin. I try to get organic fruits and veggies so I don't purchase it but have used it about 6 years ago.
I just read an article on Natural News website about it and they sing it's praises. I just wonder if the solid version is as good as the capsules?
09-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #29
jgtalanoa

My Support Groups:
Hi,

I was diagnosed with Crohn's September of last year (2012), starting Humira tomorrow and I am so confused on a specific diet to follow. Everything I find contradicts itself. I find some people say to eat high fiber, where as some people say eat little fiber because it irritates the Crohn's. I've heard people do the elimination diet and start out with clear liquids and add things in little by little but I can't do that. I have a 4 month old baby and I am breastfeeding so I have to make sure I eat real food to produce milk. Please advise????

Jackie
09-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #30
Kristin1979

My Support Groups:
Any information about Vitamin B6? I started taking B6 a couple of weeks ago because I heard it's good for digestive issues and anxiety/depression. Any info to back this up?

RX: Lialda, Fluoxetine, Lisinopril, Novolog
OTC: Vitamins B-6, C; iron, Centrum multivitamin

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Diets and Supplements for Crohn's Disease and other IBD