Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Pill Cam / Capsule Endoscopy is stuck!

05-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
FruitLoop

Pill Cam / Capsule Endoscopy is stuck!

Hi - I had a pill cam in January which failed to pass and retained in the small bowel.

I then had x-rays every couple of weeks along with loading dose if Infliximab and IV steroids in the hope that the drugs would reduce the inflammation and alow the pilcam to pass ?

It moved about a little bit - started right side, moved to the left and is now happy in the midde (kind of belly button area).

It wasnt really initially causing any problems but at Easter it caused a blockage and worsening of flaring so i am now on oral steroids as well. It keeps causing semi blockages and i get so much bloating and gurgling!!

Anyway on Friday i went in for a colonoscopy to "try" and fish it out - the GI tried so so hard

No joy though

He had me lie on my side, then my back, then my side again - he tried balloon inflation to enable him to go further up - all to no avail

Retention only occurs in 1% of Pill cams so there is not a lot of info out there on it.

My GI suggested trying a gastroscopy with an extended tube to try and fish it out from the other end but im not feeling terribly optomistic about that?

The only reason i managed to let them "try" for 1 hour was the entonox gas and air that i was sucking away on - with a gastroscopy thats not an option so i dont think i would be as compliant ? I had a gastroscopy last summer which although it only lasted 5 minutes i was gagging throughout and had to be held down!

So my question is firstly has anyone ever retained one of these ? and secondly any gut feelings (sorry couldnt resist) on what i should be asking them to do ?

05-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
Dazzafarr

My Support Groups:
I remember hearing from my GI in Australia that if a camera ever was lost they would have to dig it out via small operation...
It's weird they are not taking it too seriously.
You can sometimes not see the pill come out even though it passed..
There is ways to track it down so I would suggest go to a GI who isn't negligent.
05-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
FruitLoop

It's definately still in there - they x-rayed during the colonoscopy on Friday.
05-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Aura

I had a pill cam last week, and they told me that if it got stuck that they would have to operate to remove it, also that it means they found one of the problems. I am surprised they are not operating to remove it - why put you through all this prep for these procedures with discomfort when you could have one prep for one op and have it sorted?
Meds: 2.5mg Plendil ER. Azathioprine 100mg; Inhibace+ 12.5mg; gastrosoothe 60mg; Simvastatin 40mg; Loratadine 20mg; Fluoxetine 40mg; Provera 10mg; Metformin 2.55g; Cal d forte; 1.25mg, Humira; Panadol 4g; Pred 3mg
05-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
Curtis123

Oh my God!!!
05-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
StarGirrrrl

My Support Groups:
Oh my goodness, you need a more competent Dr fast!!

It should have been taken out surgically, no questions asked.

Please let us know how you get on!
2014 IDA & low B12.

June 2014 admitted to Hospital 3 nights as emergency transfused 2 units of blood. Dangerous case of anaemia.
Caught by pure chance!
Cause currently unknown but suspected CD.

Waiting on blood & stool results from January.

Hoping to stop anaemia treatment soon & lower B12 daily dose!
05-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
crohnicaly stinky

My GI would not give me a pill cam once I was diagnosed for this very reason. Now that it is stuck they need to get it out and stop fooling around. Sorry you are dealing with this because it seems to me that you should have never been given a pill cam.
05-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
Mia E

hi fruitloop!

i had the pill cam over a month ago and it got stuck also. the evening after swallowing it I was in the most excruciating pain ever, throwing up, fever. went to a&e and was faced with many confused faces. Since this is uncommon i think many professionals were unsure what to do. they pumped me with painkillers, steroids and pentasa for a week and x-rayed every day for a week plus one ct scan.

the results from pill cam, ct and barium swallow showed narrowing so they decided to operate to take it out. i think the surgeon was anxious to take the capsule out anyway- he told me he was worried it was a foreign body, that there is a battery in there that may burst and that it may break through to another part of body. when they operated they found that my bowel had been perforated but closed again (i suspect that happened the night i went into hospital).

i hope you hear something soon. have they said you have a narrowing or is it just floating in there? the night before the surgery i was given carb drinks which went straight thru me (hard fast and sore!), and actually capsule came out in some of the D . maybe eat some of your no no foods and drive it out?!?! (joking!! )

for me crohns is not cool
07-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
Jennifer
Adminstrator

So what happened FruitLoop? Did they surgically remove it or what?
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
07-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
gnarly

Hi FruitLoop, I know what you're going through, mine is stuck for 4 weeks now. I feel fine but it is a terrible worry as small bowel obstruction is potentially serious.
Normal Xrays would not reveal whether it was in the small or large intenstine, but I just had a CT and unfortunately it is still in the small one.
07-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Hi gnarly! What's their reasoning for not removing it surgically?
07-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #12
gnarly

It's just that you really don't want abdominal surgery if at all possible... The fact that I'm ok means there's no urgent rush to get it out, but it's still a worry that it could shift a bit and cause a blockage.
07-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
FruitLoop

So what happened FruitLoop? Did they surgically remove it or what?

Booked in for the surgery 3 weeks ago - broke my knee / shin 2 days before and ended up having plate and pins in my leg instead! Bowel surgery now on hold until i am mobile
07-31-2012, 01:42 AM   #14
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Oh right! I remember reading about that in another thread of yours. Hope you're still doing alright.
08-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #15
21years

Ive been lurking on here for that past few months. I have a retained endoscopy capsule stuck for 8 years !! Was found on accident during an X-ray. No symptoms but blocked. Y a stricture at anastomosis so won't clear it. Needs 18mm diameter intestine to pass. I
At 10mm. More symptoms now partial obstructs at new area every couple months versus 2x a year before. Tired. Need lots of sleep. Changed life to deal with problem. Going in 4 elective resection on the 8 cm area in 2 weeks. The irony is I feel fine. Or what I think is fine. Double balloon endo failed to get it.
08-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #16
my buns are burnin

well bless your heart Fruit Loop.. this isnt your month is it.. keep your head up!
10-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
21years

If you don't absolutely need it. Or are having surgery anyway then I guess it's ok.

But after my experience I woul never do a capsule again.

I'm still living with the consequences of the surgery to remove it

So depressed right now
11-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #18
Sparkle2012

My Support Groups:
Hi All: I had endoscopy and pill cam stuck. Had an attack - severe abdominal pain - the week after. Mentioned to my GI who said "we don't usually have issues with that here" after he told me that the "pillcam video indicated cam did not reach the terminal illeum."

My new GI x-rayed me immediately and found a stuck pillcam. Stated "those things can eat through your bowel" and need to come out. Luckily my HIDA scan injections prompted it to vacate.

Always Always Always ask for an xray following to determine if the thing is OUT unless you see it evacuate.
Doc:"chubby=not Crohns"
GI #1: Pillcam, DX Crohns Humira ordered
GI#2: NOT Crohns; cancel Humira. pillcam stuck X6 wks! RX Entacort!
11/2012 ER SM bowel stricture resection/GB
GI#3: End Entacort. RX Pentasa! Flu symptoms. joint pain follow-neg RA
4/2013 Prometheus Positive/Crohns
Markers flat post surgery
Chronic Arthritis
No Crohns symptoms
On Pentasa
11-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
Sparkle2012

My Support Groups:
Ive been lurking on here for that past few months. I have a retained endoscopy capsule stuck for 8 years !! Was found on accident during an X-ray. No symptoms but blocked. Y a stricture at anastomosis so won't clear it. Needs 18mm diameter intestine to pass. I
At 10mm. More symptoms now partial obstructs at new area every couple months versus 2x a year before. Tired. Need lots of sleep. Changed life to deal with problem. Going in 4 elective resection on the 8 cm area in 2 weeks. The irony is I feel fine. Or what I think is fine. Double balloon endo failed to get it.
I'm a little worried about a pill cam stuck for 8 years...my GI thought it was important they do NOT remain in there. Anyone else concerned about this?
11-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #20
Sparkle2012

My Support Groups:
Booked in for the surgery 3 weeks ago - broke my knee / shin 2 days before and ended up having plate and pins in my leg instead! Bowel surgery now on hold until i am mobile
Hi - did you have your surgery?
11-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #21
Tummy trouble

Hi there, I too had the capsule endoscopy and it too got stuck, aren't we lucky to be in the less than 1% club?! I had surgery just over two weeks ago to remove it as well as the ulcerated stricture that was causing my problems and resulted in the pill cam getting stuck. Just awaiting analysis of the stricture now for confirmation of CD diagnosis. Good luck with your recuperation and I would certainly push for the surgery to remove it, thinking of you
11-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #22
Sparkle2012

My Support Groups:
The good thing is....if it's stuck, that probably means a stricture so why not fix it while they are in there?
03-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #23
Kazzie

Hello... Just joined
My daughter had the capsule test yesterday up at st Thomas.. She only has her small bowel left..
And got rushed into our local hospital last night in terrible pain as the capsule is stuck
03-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #24
Sparkle2012

My Support Groups:
Bless her heart. I hope they are able to remove it without surgery, but surgery will get it out. I'm guessing its stuck in a stricture so why not correct it if they go in? Structureplasty surgery saves bowel length.
03-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #25
Kazzie

Hello again.. Marie's been rushed back in again tonight..
She had an X-ray and it is stuck near the stoma, think there gonna try and go through the stoma tomorrow to get the bloody thing...
03-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #26
Sparkle2012

My Support Groups:
Someone needs to make smaller pillcams. They HAVE the technology to do it. I hope she is doing better soon. Sorry to hear anyone going thru that. Mine flushed out during the Hida scan injections just before the surgery was schedule. Thank God.
03-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #27
Alison Butcher

Hi I had a pill cam 2 weeks 4 days ago and is still inside hasnt passed. Last Friday had an xray to confirm it hasnt passed and waiting anxiously to hear from doctor about the report.

The camera was in my small bowel after 8 hours and had not passed this area after another hour. It showed chronic narrowing of small bowel.

I am wondering if this is why the camera has not passed because it is still at the stricture. Until I speak to the doctor I will not know.

I am worried for the side affects of having this camera inside for so long. I have a rash on my fingers and under my armpits, very red and itchy. I am wondering if anything can leak from the camera as it is a foreign body and affect my body.

I had this procedure done 12years ago and it got stuck, and was in severe pain, had vomitting and diarrheah. Was put on steriods to reduce inflammation in order for the pill cam to pass which it did after 3 weeks. It found 3 blockages and diagnosed crohns disease. I had surgery to remove blockages from small bowel. I had another pill cam inbetween that passed fine. Then this one which has got stuck again. I was the first person in nsw with crohns for it to get stuck!

What will they do, the doctor hasnt rang, I cant go on with this in me, my stomach is bloated, I am so tired and itchy skin.
Regards
Alison
03-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #28
Kazzie

Hi again
They got the capsule out of Marie today... Thank god.
They went through her stoma...
She had been in agony since last Friday unable to eat,walk.. Never again is she having the capsule..
Thanks for the replys... Made a worried Mum feel at ease x
03-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #29
Canuck1991

I waiting to get the Camera Pill any day. After Double Ballon endoscopy, regular endoscopy, colonoscopy and 2 CTI scans, a specific "non-CTI" scan for the lower intestine only, and tons of blood tests, they just finally found slight inflation in the WALL of lower intestine (right side) around belly button. They are not sure if the outter wall of the lower intestine is inflammed as well. Finally my insurance will be covering the camera pill. I am nervous it will get stuck, then emergency operation is required, but I need to figure out why I get these damn flare ups. Its horrible! I am a woman 50 years old and never had a problem until it started 6+ months ago. Atfer I had this very specific CTI scan for lower intestine (rarely used I have been told) came back that I had an infection (dysentary). I was blown away, only to find out my Gastro doc 100% disagree with the emergency room doc. So I am back to square one, no diagnosis....yet!
03-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #30
Sparkle2012

My Support Groups:
Hi I had a pill cam 2 weeks 4 days ago and is still inside hasnt passed. Last Friday had an xray to confirm it hasnt passed and waiting anxiously to hear from doctor about the report.

The camera was in my small bowel after 8 hours and had not passed this area after another hour. It showed chronic narrowing of small bowel.

I am wondering if this is why the camera has not passed because it is still at the stricture. Until I speak to the doctor I will not know.

I am worried for the side affects of having this camera inside for so long. I have a rash on my fingers and under my armpits, very red and itchy. I am wondering if anything can leak from the camera as it is a foreign body and affect my body.

I had this procedure done 12years ago and it got stuck, and was in severe pain, had vomitting and diarrheah. Was put on steriods to reduce inflammation in order for the pill cam to pass which it did after 3 weeks. It found 3 blockages and diagnosed crohns disease. I had surgery to remove blockages from small bowel. I had another pill cam inbetween that passed fine. Then this one which has got stuck again. I was the first person in nsw with crohns for it to get stuck!

What will they do, the doctor hasnt rang, I cant go on with this in me, my stomach is bloated, I am so tired and itchy skin.
Regards
Alison
They could have told you while having your xray - see it or no? That's crazy. I do know it can be in there for a good while without damaging....but it can damage on the longterm. Mine was 6 weeks and I was fine. I am surprised they gave you another pill cam after the first one got stuck. HEY DOCTORS, MAKE A SMALLER CAMERA FOR CROHNS. EH? When mine stuck, I had an attack and it was very painful. Then it nestled in there quietly....the HIDA scan injections "encouraged" the muscle movement that dislodged it and moved it along. I'd call him back if you think it's causing you issues - show up in the office! If they have to go in via surgery to retrieve it, they can fix the stricture that it's located in eh?

Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Pill Cam / Capsule Endoscopy is stuck!