Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » What Career/Job Do You Have?

07-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #271
Tenacity

My Support Groups:
Yes, it does help a lot - thank you very much! I appreciate the time
07-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #272
Blue

i go to sixth form B)
08-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #273
Gemz

I'm a writer doing some freelancing and working on my first novel. Then I'll be an author.
08-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #274
BadGut

My Support Groups:
I am a High School teacher. It is difficult to manage the bathroom trips, across the hall, and the sometimes the morning routine or stops to work or even the accidents on the way to work are difficult to explain being late. I have actually considered changing careers because of the stress but I love teaching Child Development, after all I get to talk about my 2 daughters all day!
08-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #275
Billk78

My Support Groups:
I am a High School teacher. It is difficult to manage the bathroom trips, across the hall, and the sometimes the morning routine or stops to work or even the accidents on the way to work are difficult to explain being late. I have actually considered changing careers because of the stress but I love teaching Child Development, after all I get to talk about my 2 daughters all day!
You may want to consider getting you Masters and teaching college courses. They are a little more flexible and you arent in the classroom as much. When I was doing it I would always have a backup group exercise or assignment I would give them if I had to step out. Biggest issue was that if I was in the middle of a really bad flare it was difficult for me to cancel classes. I now work in an office job. Good luck...I would think teaching high school would be tough.
08-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #276
amyh

My Support Groups:
I'm a graphic designer and get to work from home, so that is another career looking into if you are the artsy type and know computers somewhat. I'm also a mom, so I do most of my work after the kids go to bed, unless it's an urgent project. I never finished college, but did get an internship through a design firm. That was all I needed to get the experience and training.
Graphic Designer
immune to Remicade
currently in remission
08-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #277
Earthsoul

I am a community stoma care nurse, love nursing.
08-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #278
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Yea for stoma nurses!!

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
08-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #279
jvc7477

Since I was 22 when I was diagnosed (1975) I didn't really have a carreer. Worked several jobs with the last being transportation supervisor at Goodwill up to 1984. I then applied for disability was finally accepted after being denied several times and stayed on disability ror about 8 years, After having all the surgeries I've had, was really feeling better so i got a job with the City Parks Dept working maintenance at a local golf course and am still working there.
08-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #280
jmariel

My Support Groups:
I am a graphic designer at a pharma communications company. Worked out great, i really enjoy being here. We deal with Remicade and Humira parent companies and do a lot of medical writing and manuscripts. It is extremely comforting in the fact that my co-workers know of the disease and I don't need to explain myself to them. Also it's a small office with a private bathroom. LOVELY. And I can work from home any time I need to.

I think it's more about the company atmosphere and understanding than the career itself. My last design job was not nearly as accomodating.
08-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #281
Ckt

I'm a nurse who used to work in critical care and loved it then did volunteer work in India and Africa prior to my diagnosis..I haven't worked in 10 years): and am on disability retirement from the us federal government from my time working on the Navajo reservation. Hoping to go back to work soon!! I miss it
08-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #282
marichino84

My Support Groups:
I am a soil lab analyst. Farmers & corporations send in soil samples & we run various tests on them. I love it.
08-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #283
michaelearnest

I am a Engineer and design / sale Government and Commercial Security and Fire Alarm Systems. I get to work on the computer and work on blueprints so that is flexible for my situation. However, at night it all about soccer for me and I could be playing, coaching, or a referee at a match. My stress and pain usually come from the soccer part of the day but I refuse to give in and give up.

Michael Earnest - "Never Give Up on Your Gut"

Original DX - Crohns - 1987
Sulfa zine, Asacol, Pentassa, Remicade
Salofalk
Cal/Mag 125mg x2
Vit D 1000iu X 4
Ultram 50mg (As needed)
Resection Surgery - 2006
Currently on 50mg Imuran

Facebook Page - Kicking it for Crohns - Please go Like my page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kick-i...87635074683468

Email - [email protected] - Email me with any questions - 25 years experience!
08-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #284
crohns in blue

I started a career as a police officer in oct 2008 and was diagnosed with Crohns in oct 2009. It's been hard at times due to a ballistic vest being strapped on my chest and a 25 pound duty belt hanging from my waist but i've made it this long. I just kept positive and wouldn't let my pesky friend Crohns control me, not to mention that i've been a bicycle cop now for a year and ride 20 plus miles a day five days a week.
My advice to you, would be to stay positive and start whatever career you want to start and live YOUR life. inform and educate your coworkers and superiors around you about your battle with Crohns and most of them will be understanding. My coworkers are very supportive of me and have develop a good sense of humor to my illness. If i come running in, drop my belt on the office floor, and head straight to the bathroom they know what kind of day I'm having and they help me through it.
I had to leave work three hours early today because of my symptoms but it's no big deal i'll make up for it later on in the week.
Crohns disease is apart of you, your not apart of Crohns!
08-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #285
ThatsWhatSheSaid

My Support Groups:
I got fired from missing time at work due to the crohns. And my coworkers and boss knew about it. I've worked there 3.5 years and got fired last Friday for missed time. They were not so understanding.
08-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #286
guitarjamie03

My Support Groups:
I am a youth director at a church. I work mostly with 7th-12th grade students. I just started back in June when I was diagnosed. I love my students and they keep me going, even when I am having a difficult day. I am mostly in the office Tuesday- Friday, but Wednesday and Sunday nights we have youth activites so I have to be on my A Game, but I am usually wiped out though after the activites are over with. I usually take Monday's off becasue that is always injection day (Humira) and I am so tired and need to be near a bathroom too. For the most part, the church is very understandable and flexable with my schedule and when I need to go to appointments.

So far so good!
08-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #287
problembox

I'm a support worker with older people (dementia and addiction problems, mainly alcohol). I've recently started web design and hope to pursue this (see signature links). Still getting used to the idea of having Crohn's. Symptoms are gone, working, but pretty tired. Web design suits me at moment! But enjoy my day job - also doing MSc in Applied Psy, and considering being a counsellor.
08-18-2012, 12:14 AM   #288
shermel2

I was a high school science teacher (9th and 12th grade) but left in January to go back to school to persue my dream of becoming a nurse. I graduate in December 2012. Can't wait!
08-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #289
karj

My Support Groups:
I work as a teacher - it is generally okay but when having a flare it is not the idealist of jobs, i am lucky at the moment as i teach adults, but if i was teaching teenagers i would not be able to leave the room to go to the toilet!
08-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #290
0121crohnslady

I was a carer for the elderly, and i loved my job. Sadly in 2006 i was on long-term sick due to a bad flare-up, and in 2007 they said i was no longer fit enough for the job, so i was let go.....

They have been trying to get me a job since, but due to the toilet needs nobody really has a clue, they have gone through reception to dog-walker lol.....

Hopefully i will be able to do something again soon, even though the body is functioning properly nothing wrong with my brain...

First resection in 2002, second was in 2009.

Azathioprine since 2007
Omeprazol, Pentasa, Prednisolone, Infliximab (allergic reaction), immodium and many many more

Azathioprine not doing job anymore, more meds being discussed, but allergy to Codeine is making that difficult.

08-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #291
Athena_Noctua
Banned

I'm employed by the DWP to test their latest forms to see if they've made them incomprehensible enough (at least that's what it's beginning to feel like! All I want is my income support back - and back at the correct level this time! Is it any wonder I seem to be on a permanent flare-up...?! Between them and Vodafone... ARGH!!!).

I can't work due to Asperger's and am on a lifetime award of DLA (disability living allowance) and I SHOULD be on a lifetime award of IS too, if the (I'm itching to call them what I do - but I fear my post will get modded if I do!) wotsits would just quit stopping it arbitrarily - and for spurious and completely fabricated reasons (if they actually GIVE a reason!).
08-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #292
Lawyerboy

I just acquired two Master degrees in law and want to become a lawyer in the near future.
08-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #293
ElleALaw

My Support Groups:
I'm a student nurse though I have worked in the emergency services. Not sure how well things will go as my GP is adamant its IBD my consultant won't budge from IBS even though I'm on steroids with good effect. Due to start 12.5 hour shifts in the next few weeks and just don't know how on earth my body will cope :-(
08-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #294
Ckt

@ellealaw..bless!!its hard enough being a student nurse!those 13 hour shifts can be rough..try and pace yourself if you can and keep hydrated!!sendig up positive thoughts for you!!
08-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #295
Ckt

I saw the YouTube video on IBD called 'glamour guts'..best line ever..instead of saying you don't work due to illness when someone asks what you do..say'im a visionary!!'hehe!!(:
08-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #296
David
Co-Founder

Please disregard this post, it is a test.
08-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #297
Trev

My Support Groups:
Norwegian Racing Sardine Trainer.

Hard to find, lucky to keep.
08-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #298
phear

My Support Groups:
Truck driver luckily it's local not interstate so plenty of toilets around hehe
08-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #299
AIjen

I currently work at our city's police department as a secretary. I work five hours a day (5 1/2 including my lunch break), Monday through Friday. My hours are relatively flexible - I have no issues with getting time off for anything from normal vacation to doctors' appointments, to surgeries, so I am very lucky. I do transcription, data entry, and answer the phone. I have been there for 6 1/2 years and enjoy it very much.

I used to work on our local ambulance service, but had to stop doing that after I really started to not feel that great for most of the time. I was not yet diagnosed with Crohn's yet, but I did have the UCTD and fibromyalgia diagnoses. It was a difficult decision, but something I had to do. I still miss it even though it has been over five years.
Current Diagnoses: Asthma (Can't remember), Hashimoto's (June 07), Psoriasis (March 08), Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease (Jan. 08), Fibromyalgia (Jan. 08), Crohn's (Dec. 08), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (June 12)

Current Medications: Levothyroxin, Lyrica, Advair, Cimzia, Zyrtec, and Prevacid. Back on Pentassa 12/04/12.
09-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #300
jami

I am a surgical tech at a major hospital here...bosses understand, I usually just tough it out and try and ignore my pain during the day. I only work 3 days a week, 12 hours though...that can be challenging sometimes though...have my moments!!

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » What Career/Job Do You Have?