• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Blending vegetables over juicing?

Would blending vegetables that don't contain much 'juice' such as spinach or kale be more beneficial than actually juicing them?

Or would cause most Crohn's sufferers to have a similar reaction to eating it without being blended?

I juice because it removes the pulp and fiber which is what irritates my gut. Blending simply "chews up" the pulp, so your digestive system still has to take care of it one way or another. Juicing gives me the benefit of the all the vitamins, minerals, micronutrients etc of vegetables without the pain associated with excess fiber and pulp.

If you get a quality juicer, you will get a lot more juice out of kale and spinach than you would think.

David

Co-Founder
In addition to what ThanksP said, you can consume more to get a serious nutrient kick since you aren't getting filled up by all that bulk.

Not to be contrarian, but I've got to shout out to smoothies. I do better with smoothies than juice--with the fiber removed, juice is reduced to sugar (and nutrients) and water, which can be a lot for one's system (at least mine) to take. Whole fruits, fiber included, digest more slowly than just the juice. For some reason, the whole thing blended sits better with me. I guess the actual answer is the most annoying possible one: "it's different for everyone, so try it out!" (Grumble.)

Make sure and peel things before you blend 'em. I've also had great luck with putting spinach in any smoothies. If you get really into it, you may even want to invest in one of those mega-expensive, high-powered blenders, which reduces everything to a juicelike pulp. Best of both worlds? I'll let you know when I have $500 lying around.

crohnsinct

Hey guys. New to all this juicing/smoothie talk. Just bought a Nutribullet to make some smoothies for my daughter. It was under $100. So far we haven't found anything it can't pulvarize into a juice like consistency.

I think she is in remission currently so the fiber doesn't seem to be bothering her. I really just bought it to get more nutrients into her and hide those veggies as she can be picky at times. My hope is it will be great for the rest of the family also.

Will be hanging out here in the juicing group a lot of the next few weeks so warning here come the questions!

Not to be contrarian, but I've got to shout out to smoothies. I do better with smoothies than juice--with the fiber removed, juice is reduced to sugar (and nutrients) and water, which can be a lot for one's system (at least mine) to take. Whole fruits, fiber included, digest more slowly than just the juice. For some reason, the whole thing blended sits better with me. I guess the actual answer is the most annoying possible one: "it's different for everyone, so try it out!" (Grumble.)
I'd agree for fruit but i only juice vegetable for that very reason

I think another reason people juice, is to remove the fibre so that it passes through a narrowing easier and gets absorbed into our bodies easier

A good juicer will juice spinach and kale, I often use kale in my juices and have no problem getting the juice out.

Hey guys. New to all this juicing/smoothie talk. Just bought a Nutribullet to make some smoothies for my daughter. It was under $100. So far we haven't found anything it can't pulvarize into a juice like consistency.

I think she is in remission currently so the fiber doesn't seem to be bothering her. I really just bought it to get more nutrients into her and hide those veggies as she can be picky at times. My hope is it will be great for the rest of the family also.

Will be hanging out here in the juicing group a lot of the next few weeks so warning here come the questions!
Hi, unfortunately I don't know the Nutribullet, so I can't say for sure if it is a juicer, it should say in the handbook how to set up the juicing operation (if it does have the feature)

However, if she is in remission or taking fibre well, try her on a smoothie and leave it a couple of days to see how she reacts to it, if she's ok... Slowly introduce more smoothies in the week.

I have only started juicing recently myself and I have got all my family into it too! Everyone loves it!

There's plenty of people on here who will be happy to answer your questions, so don't be afraid to ask :)

The Nutrabullet isn't a juicer, it's a blender. but you can always strain your juice after blending and remove most of the fiber that way instead.

I have used an juicer then progressed to a Kenwood blender but found that it left too many lumps to avoid! I then looked at the Vitamix and Omniblend blenders and opted for the Omniblend which I felt was as good as the Vitamix and half the price. Blending raw fruit and vegetables has improved my symptoms and researching the benefits of eating raw is fascinating I have learnt so much and learning more everyday.
I have found that juicing/blending raw fruit and veg has improved my symptoms ...
My morning breakfast juice is:
1 handful of raw spinach
1/2 pint or small carton of rice milk
1" slice of fresh pineapple
few almonds or cashew nuts
Pinch of turmeric
(Banana or any other fruit optional)
tspn Manuka honey (optional)

Put all ingredients in the blender and blend on the auto 35 setting (approx 35 seconds).
Take a look at the Omniblend website for some great juicing ideas and if you are tempted to buy one you can get £80.00 worth of extra goodies by using the code ALISONF2013 free cookbook and 7 year extended guarantee.

Pineapple is a great anti-inflammatory but start slowly with just an inch or you could end up with acid heartburn or reflux! Turmeric aid digestion and Manuka honey is packed with so much I may have to write a whole new post on it.

I have found that my craving for sugar has also reduced since adding raw into my diet.