Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » What Career/Job Do You Have?

09-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #301
dluke26

I was a certified Orthodontic Assistant. I absolutely loved my job and had been given lots of support through a resection in 2010 and another flare that started in 2011. But now I am in another flare and it looks like I will be having another surgery, my boss let me know that I was no longer working out for them a week and a half after telling me that everything would be fine and that he understood. He is now suggesting to me that I file for disability...I am going to wait until this latest issue is under control and then decide what my next chapter will be. Maybe I will go back to school.
09-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #302
Panda33

I'm a social worker. I contract myself 2 days/week into a residential facility and facilitate inter-disciplinary team conferences and provide counseling/therapy to residents and staff.
3 days or more a week I work in group homes.
I really wish I could quit my group home job tho. Finding working 5 days/week (this last week being my first week back from medical leave) rough. Almost like its too much for my body to handle. So bizarre to me
Iron (600 mg) taken with Vitamin C
Probiotic
Krill Oil (omega 3)
B12
09-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #303
cliffjockey

I'm an aircraft Mechanic/Inspector/CRS signatory. I'm also a Deputy Station officer with HM Coastguard. I also volunteer with a Technical Line Rescue Unit (just for fun!) In my day job they're reasonably understanding with doctor and hospital appointments, but not so much so with the joint pain and chronic fatigue, I sometimes think that because they can't see blood, bruises or scars then there must not be anything wrong with me. Both the Coastguard and the line rescue team are great though, they are way more understanding and have always got my back, probably because there are no profits or money involved, unlike my day job! Oh well, such is life! Onwards and upwards!!
09-05-2012, 03:40 AM   #304
Robert747

Norwegian Racing Sardine Trainer.
Not since the Sardine doping scandal of 2009 you haven't been
09-05-2012, 04:51 AM   #305
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Not since the Sardine doping scandal of 2009 you haven't been

Yep, there was definitely something very fishy going on there.

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x
09-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #306
Bripink

I am a recent college grad, but throughout all my classes, internships, and jobs I've had, as long as you work hard, are open and honest about your disease and everything, I have not had one problem getting or keeping a job. People may surprise you in how understanding and compassionate they are.
09-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #307
Bwebby

im a freshman this year and so i decided to go into Business because that way i can really do just about anything..and go any direction..and best case scenario i can hopefully be my own boss one day

^ This is an AWESOME VIDEO SERIES ON IBD!
09-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #308
Jessi

My Support Groups:
I teach 3rd grade from home in a virtual charter school. I have 3 bathrooms all to myself.

Dx'd with Psoriasis in 1993
Dx'd with Psoriatic Arthritis in 2004
Dx'd with Ulcerative Colitis on May 18, 2011

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain." ~Anon.
09-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #309
karj

My Support Groups:
I teach 3rd grade from home in a virtual charter school. I have 3 bathrooms all to myself.
Nice one
09-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #310
Earnellzwifey

I currently on Ssdi since I have several problems. My bowel, bladde, brain, heart, limbs, and other systems are all out of control. I use to be a 911 dispatcher and I miss it everyday. Oh how I wish I could work again.
Iron,multi-vitamin, B12 injections, magic mouthwash,
Zofran.

32 medical conditions and counting. 22 pills a day with daily blood sugar testing and urinary cathing.

If you live in the loo , because you always gotta poo , then this is the place for you.
09-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #311
djpoptart92

My GI wont let me work. Stress is my number one cause for flare-ups, so he put me on the disabled list. I do have a mobile dj business and a computer repair biz to bring in some extra bread, and keep me busy.
09-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #312
NewRoad

I'm an over the road truck driver, though I've been in management in the industry also. Right now I'm sitting home, thinking about finding another office job. Sudden bathroom urges and the highway don't always work together, if ya know what I mean.
09-18-2012, 05:57 AM   #313
Carrie

My Support Groups:
When I was in university, I worked as a barista in a local coffee shop. Absolutely love that job, and it truly sparked a lifelong interest in coffee, which I'd love to work with again in the future.

Currently, I work as a business/data analyst in the service sales division of a large tech company which flogs routers and switches. I've worked for the company for the past 6.5 years, and have had one very major flare-up last year which left me in hospital for three months. My employer and co-workers have been brilliant and understanding of my disease, and I have the flexibility to work anywhere in the world (which is how I ended up in Britain). I work from home (and in my pyjamas) three to five days a week, and only go to the office for the rare in-person meeting (my company has too much teleconferencing technology for its own good), or to catch-up with colleagues. I'm not all that stoked about my current job, but I do like the corporate culture and adore all the friends I've made since I've worked here.

And to anyone interested in working in tech, no, you don't have to have a degree in computer science or engineering. I have a degree in Latin American studies and work on the business side of the company (sales and business development). When the economy isn't tanking, there generally are lots of great opportunities.
09-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #314
rkoll327

I am a merchandise analyst for a leading sporting goods company. It is a desk job and minimal traveling which is good. My manager/co-workers are super supportive which I know is really important. It is hard for me to make it through the work day sometimes but I haven't missed too much work yet so it hasn't been a problem. Hopefully it stays that way!
09-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #315
superhotfemale

Use to be a Promotions Manager for dual radio stations (two FM stations), until I had to give it up for Crohns

Now on the Disability Pension and looking for part-time work close it home and a toilet - it ain't that easy!

In the meantime (last three years) I have been lucky enough to work at two major motor sporting events as either the Event Control Room Supervisor or the Engineering Operations Centre Supervisor. It is only for a week at a time and is totally out there, long hours and not a minute to spare (lucky I get radio headphones to use so I can go to the room with no windows and can still talk on the radio....toilet paper is not good to write on though....) but the downside is that I end up spending three weeks in bed recovering.

I know I shouldn't push myself this hard twice a year, but it makes me feel alive and in honesty, I would probably go insane if I couldn't work some type of event - just call me glutton for punishment!
09-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #316
Laura Dawn

I'm an Internal Auditor. I resigned 2 years ago and do consulting from home. If I was still with my old employer, I would be fired, no doubt. I took a leave of absence 2 years ago for medical reasons- stress. They replaced my position and I heard they were going to put me in a new one. I resigned and did get unemployment. This was a hospital mind you and I had perfect reviews! Their loss!
09-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #317
thisisme
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I work in auto insurance, within the claims department. It's a desk job, and because of the team I am on, I am pretty secluded in the building... means much more privacy in the washrooms!
Currently trying to work with them for all my appointments this year so far... as they don't want to give me any more "doctor" time... Will see how that goes.

Dx: Crohn's September 2012
Terminal Ileum (fistulating), Left Colon
Currently taking:
Remicade
Imuran (Aza)
Tecta
Vitamin D
Calcium
B-12 Injections
Iron (Infusions)

Past Meds:
Prednisone (woot!)
09-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #318
Dixiedoll23

My Support Groups:
I "did" have the best job in the world, as a professional body piercer.I love it.However, with this most recent flare, I ended up getting fired for being sick. I can only pray God has something much bigger and better in store for our family.My husband is a tattoo artist, that ended up quitting after our boss fired me.He is mad and so am I.
Hopefully, like I said this is just the beginning of something much better.We are hoping to open our own shop again like we had in Detroit.The economy tanked so we had to close and moved to Sioux Falls here where the economy is much better.When the economy is bad, obviously tattoos and piercings aren't neccessities so we are the first to experience the term of "starving artist".We are pretty starving right now, but we will get through it as we always do and come out stronger in the end.

Currently dealing with another obstruction.Don't know what the plan is yet.Surgery or? I don't know of any other options....
My Meds;
Prednisone 20mg
Vitamin D (50,000 units)
Tramadol 50 mg
Butran patch 15 mcg
Imuran
Gabapentin
09-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #319
Dixiedoll23

My Support Groups:
Going back a few pages, it seems I am not alone as far as getting fired for having crohns.It's definately not fair, and so few people understand.I use to tell my husband I wish I could just hand out info packets on CD and hope everyone I work with reads it.
My condolences to all those who lost their job due to this disease.
I am currently applying for disability at the ripe ol' age of 31.It was hard for me to come to terms that I am unable to work.My arthritis in my hands is getting so bad, I can't even open a lid anymore.I get so frustrated.Especially when I have to ask my boys something so simple to everyone else like open a pop for me.
09-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #320
marvelousmara

I have a desk job right now and it's wonderful. I don't have to do much walking around and I know exactly where the bathroom is. My employees are all so wonderful and they know if I'm away from my desk I must be in the bathroom. Also if I need to leave early for a doctor's appointment, they never give me a hard time about it.

I'm actually a full time college student and my majoring is nursing. I ended up changing it from Business after I got diagnosed with Crohn's. After the long visits to the doctor's offices and hospitals, I realized I had a heart for sick people. Being sick myself, I want to let people know that there's people out there who care and want to help them feel better.

Crazy how things change so fast!
09-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #321
sickofcrohns

I was an academic. I loved and still love the research, but sessional teaching was killing me, and being on Remicade put the kaibosh on doing a postdoc in another country (there were and are no positions in Canada in my field).

I worked for 4 years in the medical device industry, but was then laid off when the company downsized.

Now I'm working part-time on contract as a translator of academic articles (French to English) and as a Ph D dissertation and ESL coach/tutor/editor. I also did a lot of volunteering for environmental causes this summer when my health permitted.

I'm still figuring out what to do next; I love the type of work I'm doing, but the pay is irregular and there are no benefits.
09-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #322
Ainy

I am a Recruitment Consultant. It is a highly targeted and stressful role which involves spending a lot of time out of the office. I have to attend client meetings, interview candidates, complete sales calls, arrange interviews, secure new business, account management and complete my own administration. Oh achieve sales targets. I was only diagnosed a few months ago and I have been off work for 4 weeks now because stress is a major trigger. I'm having a flare up at the moment and I might be getting surgery in a few weeks so I now need to take some time to decide if I can peruse this career at the jeopardy of my health. I never thought I'd be in the position where I have to consider giving up a job I love because I'm not physically capable of being successful at it.
10-01-2012, 03:08 AM   #323
gemarie

Hi I am a fresher (mature) student reading history and archaeology, which the intention of finding a career in heritage.. records office/scientific archaeologic or something like that...

Before i got ill I was a nursery nurse working with children ages 4-10 at a private care centre.. I had to stop firstly because nobody will hire a worker who has to abandon children to run to the toilet at no notice and secondly because once my meds started I caught every bug going with the immunity killed off so spent too much time off sick. Not a good job for CD

I will have undertaken 5 years of retraining by the time i graduate but I tried staying home and it lasted a very short time because I was bored to tears within a week of my daughters starting school!
10-01-2012, 04:18 AM   #324
Jaano711
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi
I am a qualified radiography. Did four years at university, was diagnosed in my final year and manages to pass. Radiography was good to me. Worked in hospitals in Australia and the UK and when I came home took some chief jobs in outback Australia. Managed to keep working after my twins were born( 3 days a week + on call) but after Rohan I stopped. It was then that I started on remicade and was told working with sick people in a hospital was not a good idea.
I then started working as a lecturer in a literacy and numeracy program and got qualifications along the way. I had an anaphylactic reaction to remicade was changed to humira and in the last 2 months have not been to work due to illness, operations and the acquisition of a permanent stoma. I am not planning on returning until next year as I am having a few healing issues and just need some time to adjust. Am worried as I do a lot of travelling and don't know how I am going to handle it now.

: Janette

I meant to have Jano as my user name, but did a typo!
10-01-2012, 04:53 AM   #325
Bioheaded

Civil Engineering - Geotechnical.
10-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #326
chattertess

My Support Groups:
I'm a wedding cake maker. I work for myself, which in many ways is brilliant, but also a pain in the arse (mind the pun -_-) at other times. No one else I can shove a wedding cake to a week before the wedding if I'm having a big flare up. However, I work from a studio in my parent's back garden, so I am near to toilets and if need be, bed. Just tough to run my own business cos it all relies on me!
10-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #327
matrix0919

cashier
10-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #328
Amy Bunch

I am a K-3 Special Education Teacher. Can be stressful at times but I do have a bathroom in my classroom. Thank goodness!
10-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #329
simplyemily

I am currently majoring in Electrical Engineering at college and I am a sophomore so fingers crossed that I am able to keep it up and graduate. I am not going to lie or sugar coat the fact that it is downright difficult. There are plenty of times this year and last year where I miss exams, classes, and labs because I am out sick with some Crohn's related thing but truthfully this is what I have always wanted to do. I have a two things of advice for you, if you are looking to go into college you should immediately contact your Health Services, a simple letter from your doctor can make a big difference in how things are handled if you are unable to attend classes or exams due to your illness. Usually they are really willing to work with you to make things as easy as possible. And the second thing that I think you should consider is that you need to do something you love. Even if it is going to take you extra time to do it because of the Crohn's, you don't want your disease to control you.
10-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #330
TJmom

Social Worker/Counselor. Bachelor's in Psychology, Marriage and Family Studies, Women's Studies.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » What Career/Job Do You Have?