Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Medical Marijuana for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis

09-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #211
Moe.

I never Made the RSo. I sought cookies with the plant inside. Than the tea , then I found that there are people who know about this where I live and I sought out to grab it. Your in la. Get in touch with Phoenix tears. Or get in touch with some on the hemp forums. The best are those who grow it purely, not dealers. In three days I felt better in a week good, then two weeks u can say 80% better even when eating garbage. Could be placebo, could be remission. But when I'm not the only one who is using it from the look of things. Btw YouTube hemp oil and some one explains how to make it through a vaporizer. Very cost effective.

Good luck.
09-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #212
One18deg

Hello all,

I am a new member to the forums. After ongoing symptoms that began in April 2012, I was finally diagnosed with Crohn’s disease, after a colonoscopy, this past week.

My symptoms included:
-Episcleritis (right eye)
-Uveitis (left eye)
-Ball like inflammation in back of my right ear, as well as on my nose.
-Bumps (inflammation like) on my legs.
-Cramps: although painful, hasn’t been too severe, as of yet
-Mild to excessive bowel movements.
-Severe joint pains (especially on the knees, hips and ankles)
-Fatigue (both physical and mental) – which I believe has had negative implications socially; not being able to be myself
-Mouth sores
-Fistulas
-Skin seems to be dry and bruise easily.

During the course of these past few months I have been on Sulfasalazine and Entocort. I have experienced some side effects amongst the two, most notably headaches and a rapid heartbeat. Some of the symptoms described above have been resolved, however, in place – new ones have appeared. Fatigue, joint pains, excessive bowel movements and cramps seem to be constant.
During my ‘diagnosis’ appointment with my Doctor, he advised me that Sulfasalazine alone would not be able to contain my symptoms, and the use of steroids had very negative implications on the body in the long term. He advised that the use of Remicade or Humira would be a more effective treatment plan; although, there would be side-effects associated with the use of these two drugs. I took a few days to think about the alternatives, while they ordered chest ex-rays, MRI, blood work, etc (to see if I’d be able to take the drugs in the first place). Researching these two drugs online, I read about the serious side-effects associated with their use. I’ve decided not to pursue the use of these medications (unless last resort), and decided to look into other alternatives.
I did a lot of research on medical marijuana as an alternative and based on what I found, the herb seems to have many positive implications. I do live in Southern CA – I would be able to have ‘legal’ access to it.
I did have two questions that I’d like to ask the forum. I know plenty members here have dealt with what I have just started dealing with, for many years. I would really value and appreciate any of your opinions and suggestions –

1.) Is MMJ primarily used to keep patients in remission for a longer period of time (as Humira, Remicade, etc) OR to relieve the pain associated with and during flare-ups.

2.) Of course, no one knows my symptoms and feelings associated with it better than I do – however, based on the ones I noted – does it seem as if I would benefit from the use of cannabis.

Thank you all, sorry for the novel

Chris
09-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #213
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

You live in CA. That's a plus. Cannabis is great for pain relief, nausea, reducing cramps and inflammation. Humira seems a bit aggressive at this point. Research the pros and cons. Have you had a colonoscopy yet?
09-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #214
David
Co-Founder

One18deg,

As you have fistulizing Crohn's disease, you're going to need a LOT more than just medical marijuana. In my opinion, it is a complimentary medicine, and a great one at that. In the case of fistulizing Crohn's disease, you need to take the shotgun approach and hit the disease from all angles to get your inflammation in check and heal your mucosa ASAP. If you're concerned about those medications, then I would research total enteral nutrition and low dose naltrexone. But if they, in conjunction with the MMJ don't get you in remission and fast, I would definitely consider a biologic. Or even a biologic and all that other stuff. Fistulizing Crohn's is serious and needs to be treated as such.
09-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #215
One18deg

Thanks guys,

JohnnyO - yes, I had a colonoscopy a week and a half ago. They found ulcers within my large intestines.

David - thank you for the information. I looked up enteral nutrition; I will definitely look into it further, along with the rest. However, I meant a fistula - I've had only one (near the anus); I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not?
09-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #216
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

I had several that I cured with antibiotics. My doctor recommended humira but after a few rounds of cipro flagyl I've been free of abscess and fistulas as well as crohns symptoms.
09-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #217
Tenacity

My Support Groups:
Just my two cents for what its worth - I agree with David. For fistulizing crohns (even one fistula) you don't want to mess around with it. I would personally do Remicade. Just read the forum about other members and the problems you can experience with fistulas. Recent research has shown that if you treat Crohns with a "top down" medical approach, meaning do the biologics and hit it hard in the beginning - they found much more people in remission in the long run. Compared to patients who are treated with the "bottom up" approach - where you go through the medicine from weak to strong.

BTW, M is also great in helping you have an appetite
09-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #218
Mudbug

I get extremely paranoid when using cannabis. But I do feel a great deal of relief in regards to the gut. Is there a way of using it that would cause LESS paranoia? Is ingesting or vaporizing different then smoking it? I wish I could benefit from it, it would be so easy! LOL
There are some high cbd, low thc products out there,, which would not give the high, yet are shown in some studies to be effective.
09-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #219
SkinnyNinny

I think that the side effect of paranoia is from having too much. When you may be unfamiliar with a certain strength of cannabis, take a little puff and see what happens, do not smoke a huge joint by yourself, you are just asking for trouble. Like most other dosages, keep it low to start and you might not need any more - just a dab'll do ya, as they say.

So basically I believe that becoming paranoia is similar to getting so high that you forget that you are high. If you are this high, then you are simply taking too much at once. How do you define paranoia? It's not always the stereotypical feeling that 'people are out to get me'. I find I can become more self conscious than usual, while other times I feel more confident - however the confidence might just from the relief of the pain and other discomforts. It just feels so good to be rid of all that, I begin to operate like a strong healthy person again. If I find that I am spending more time alone, doing projects on my own etc, I consider perhaps this is because I am using too much and try to cut back a bit. Normally I just have a few puffs after work and I am good, but other days when I don't need to be thinking or whatnot then I sometimes do it in the morning too. I read in this thread that some people use it throughout the day - I wouldn't be able to function, at work or in society, if this were the case - but I am very sensitive to all drugs.

peace
09-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #220
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Last week I used a high CBD strain from Colorado called "Luca Brasi". 8.44 percent CBD, 10.93 percent THC.

It was very nice. I was incredibly comfortable.

If you want only CBD's, check out Dixie Elixirs. They make hemp-derived CBD products. There is no THC (the psychoactive compound in marijuana).

I have not tried this myself but they are a (supposedly) reputable medical marijuana company based in Colorado.
09-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #221
Carmen

I would rather use Cannabis. I feel I should have a choice but I don't. I have insurance but my co-pays are out of this world. Alot of the meds make me sick. Some have awful side effects and then to help those side effects the doc just writes another script. It never stops.
09-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #222
One18deg

Thanks everyone..the information has been really helpful
09-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #223
Kev

My Support Groups:
There was a recent study released about the effect of cannabis on males under age 35. The results? The risk of testicular cancer doubles. Why? I dunno. I stopped recreational use of it over 25 years ago. (when I became a Dad). I never presented with symptoms that made me consider it as a treatment or treatment supplement, but I have no bias for or against. Just thought, in case someone (esp. males <35) is considering it, that this info needed to be shared.

Dx'd July, 2006
Meds: Flagyl, Cipro, Pred, AZA.. to no effect
Low Dose Naltrexone Nov 2007 - May 2014
Remicade June 17th, 2014
09-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #224
David
Co-Founder

Can you link to the study please Kev? Thanks
09-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #225
Moe.

There was a study that humira, remicade, aza cause cancer.
And a study in mice that the kills cancer cells.
YouTube it. Scientists from a university in America.
09-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #226
ian crook

i smoke cannabis to stop cramps with Crohn's helps with the pain
09-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #227
Moe.

Hey guys
Here you go
http://dixiex.com/
CBD only cannabis all legal courtesy on ctrlz
09-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #228
Kev

My Support Groups:
I never looked at the study. Just heard it on the news (I spend 10 - 12 hours a day in the cab of my truck, the radio makes for great company). The morning radio show hosts made great fodder of the report. You know? Like, "smoking pot takes balls, real balls". But it shouldn't be too hard to find. And, although this study found that it doubled the risk, the next study may contradict the previous, and circle will go round and round. And even if this study is right.... it just concludes the risk for men under 35 is doubled, not guarranteed
09-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #229
David
Co-Founder

Here's a news report on it.
09-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #230
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
There is no telling what other substances these males were doing recreationally that could be attributed to cancer. I bet that they also smoked the marijuana instead of using an edible or vaporizing. There are all kinds of nasties that occur when you burn something.

Just say no to combustion.
09-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #231
SkinnyNinny

There was a recent study released about the effect of cannabis on males under age 35. The results? The risk of testicular cancer doubles. Why? I dunno. I stopped recreational use of it over 25 years ago. (when I became a Dad). I never presented with symptoms that made me consider it as a treatment or treatment supplement, but I have no bias for or against. Just thought, in case someone (esp. males <35) is considering it, that this info needed to be shared.
This is funny

Lance Armstrong had testicular cancer. He won 7 Tour de France titles. Regardless of his doping controversy, my point being.. "So what? I would gladly forgo a testicle, or both since I'm not likely to have kids at 45, and have relief of my symptoms."
09-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #232
SkinnyNinny

I'm sure we could fill pages with links of reports of diseases caused by alcohol, tobacco, and the whole host of other "legal" drugs.... in fact here are a few...my point being, there are way more deleterious health impacts from over the counter, legal substances that are much more harmful to human health, than there will ever be from the vapours of heated flowers of the cannabis plant growing in my back yard.

http://www.webhealthcentre.com/Disea...on_damage.aspx

http://www.ehow.com/about_4760710_di...hol-abuse.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-term_effects_of_alcohol

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_stat...s_cig_smoking/
09-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #233
David
Co-Founder

It's important that we remain open to the potential negative affects of medical marijuana and list any reputable studies that showcase such affects just as we would for more traditional medications. Pretty much everything has some sort of side effect but when people are making choices of what treatments to include in their regimen, they deserve the best possible information, both positive and negative, so that can make an educated, informed decision.

For us to get defensive or emotional when potential negative information is provided about a treatment does not cast a good light on that treatment. We ask for the study, we analyze the study, and we present findings based upon that scientific data, leaving our emotions and biases out of it. I realize it can be hard and struggle with it myself, but it's what people who might use this medication deserve.

If marijuana potentially increases the chance of testicular cancer and if we get ahold of and analyze the study and don't feel it is poorly done, then people deserve to have that information presented. That personally wouldn't stop me from using it if I felt it was a good choice for me, but I'd sure pay more attention to my nuts. And so might others and lives might be saved.
09-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #234
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
David, I agree there are side effects to everything. But it would be helpful to have more information about these findings. Such as ingestion methods, etc. It seems like this wasn't a controlled population but a theory based on the question "do you use marijuana".

There are many studies on pubmed about cancer-halting properties of marijuana but I haven't seen any stating that it causes cancer. Perhaps I'm just not looking for it but, I'd love to see it.

Either way... I'm super glad that I don't have testicles.
09-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #235
Kev

My Support Groups:
I agree with David. The point is... making a choice about any treatment method requires looking at all of the pertinent data; pro and con. Once that info is presented, then one has the facts at hand to decide for themselves whether to pursue this treatment or that.

Were I a male, under age 35, and weighing my options, I would want to know. Better that I know ahead of time that there is a statistical increase of risk... than to blindly delve into it only to find out much later on that the risk existed; and no one pointed it out. I think this forum has put it's proverbial neck out there, so to speak, allowing me to post about low dose Naltrexone treatment. But I also expect AND respect posting of any info that might be considered contrary. The forums total credibility, and as a direct result, its effectiveness; depends on an un-biased, neutral presentation of all the facts involved.

As I said earlier, I'm neither pro or con. Nothing within my personal symptomolgy drives me to look deeper into the potential of cannabis as a treatment, aid or supplement. My only involvement was having heard of this recent study; and tossing it into the thread as an FYI for those who do have an interest. This info could be vital to someones making an informed choice. As for whether merely being a carcenogenic is vital one way or the other, my stance is that... like any other medical option, one should know what, if any, risks a treatment may pose. Hiding unpopular info on a treatment is just not on.

Finally, I heard today courtesy of David Suzuki's Nature of Things... that scientists ARE alarmed by what selective breeding has done to todays cannabis. Apparently the levels of THC have been greatly elevated; at the cost of the counter-balancing levels of CBD.
The lower levels of CBD present risks to the user that studies based solely on the old fashioned cannabis wouldn't show. The overall consensus was that using cannabis that did not have a healthy balance of approx. 4% THC AND 4% CBD posed risks to the user.

Again, just another FYI.
09-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #236
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The documentary you speak of was focused on teenagers in BC.

The teenagers in the documentary are struggling with mental disorders due to being exposed to such high quality cannabis with loads of THC during an important developmental stage of the brain. This is indeed a known side-effect of using cannabis. An acquaintance of mine grew up using very strong cannabis and he has a terrible problem with schizophrenia

What the write-up on the documentary failed to mention is that now that there is more being studied about cannabis other natural healing properties--such as CBD's. There are strains being grown now to boost CBD's. The article only mentions that people are selectively breeding to boost THC, and that is inaccurate.

There is recent news that CBD's are responsible for halting certain metastasizing cancers. I wish the documentary you speak of included some positive information to counterbalance all the negatives.

Marijuana And Cancer: Scientists Find Cannabis Compound Stops Metastasis In Aggressive Cancers
(links to pubmed study in article)

I suppose I am defensive about scaremongering when it comes to cannabis because I know that it has helped me and many other people. Plus, like I said earlier, these subjects that developed testicular cancer were not controlled. There is no telling what else they were using. But it is definitely something to think about. I definitely don't want any potentially negative information about it to be hidden. I just wish that when that information was given there were studies that were more controlled to back it up.

Last edited by ctrl z; 09-23-2012 at 05:51 PM.
09-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #237
SkinnyNinny

I agree with making informed decisions when considering taking medications. Yes, some people do become advocates for their medication. Some cheer more than others. I wouldn't say cannabis is right for everyone. My intention in posting wasn't to get anyone riled up but I can see how my post might have been seen as defensive. Such is the written word, when hastily written.

Initially I thought of Lance Armstrong when I read the post about testicular cancer, but then it likely wasn't caused by his intake of cannabis though I could be wrong. I was thinking about him winning all those Tour de France titles and wondering 'testicular cancer can't be all that bad', in a humorous way.

When you consider the shopping list of side effects for most pharmaceuticals....isn't it odd now that cancer seems to be a common side effect to treatment and we just accept that as a risk without question?

I can see a day when doctors will prescribe cannabis and other natural unrefined herbal treatments, and recall the dark ages of medicine when corporations sold chemical products that made people more sick.

It's just my opinion, and if I've offended you it was unintentional. However if you work for a pharmaceutical company perhaps it was intentional.
09-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #238
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

I doubt the study is valid considering the numerous other studies hailing cannabis ability to cause "atopsis" (cancer cell death). Also, correlation does not imply causation.
09-24-2012, 04:17 AM   #239
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
Seems to me that for any of us who have previously smoked pot recreationally, we need to re-learn how to use it in a more medicinal way. Getting stoned just makes you more tired and we are all knackered anyway from the Crohn's and prescription drugs, so maybe that is not such a good thing, unless it gives you a mental break you need.

Learning instead to use it in a controlled way to aid digestion can be a very good thing. It takes away cramps and allows enjoyment of the evening meal and afterwards. That has to be a good thing - a non-toxic medicine.
09-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #240
Moe.

Guys I placed a link to a site which sells non thc cannabis (no high)

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Medical Marijuana for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis