Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Juicing as a Viable Treatment option!

10-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Juicing as a Viable Treatment Option!

Juicing!

In this juicing thread I will be going over a few points including the basics of juicing, juicing vs making smoothies, and juicing as a viable treatment option for crohns and other autoimmune diseases and then last but certainly not least i will be talking about organic versus non organic produce and why you want organic! I will be diving in deep on why Juicing is a Viable treatment option so please keep an open mind as you read. It's better to read this post with no preconceived notions.

If you just read the first paragraph and said to yourself ďI just want some juice recipesĒÖ then click here.

First the BASICS OF JUICING☺: Juicing is essentially the liquefying of fruits and vegetables by grinding up fruits and veggies and extracting the pulp from them and separating the juice from the rest of the fruit or vegetable. This is very useful because you are able to super concentrate the amount of fruits and veggies that go into an 8oz glass of juice. By juicing you are turning 8 carrots (or anything else) into a fast and easily drinkable juice that utilizes all of the enzymes, vitamins, and minerals of the carrot.

Smoothies Versus Juicing!

Smoothies provide great nutritional benefit any way you look at it. The main argument for smoothies is that smoothies retain the beneficial fiber that juices do not. This is very true but there are two main reasons why I chose to juice rather than make smoothies.

1. By removing the fiber from the liquid you are adding more concentrated doses of the juice. While it might take 4 carrots to make a full glass of carrot smoothie, it takes about 7 or 8 carrots to make a full glass of carrot juice. By extracting the pulp you are getting a super concentrated dose of the vitamins, enzymes and minerals within the carrots. Also when talking about crohns patients, fiber becomes somewhat of a scary word for some so juicing becomes a clear cut better option.

2. Have you ever noticed in nature that when an animal gets sick, like maybe your house dog, that the first thing they do is either stop eating entirely or only eat plants in the backyard? Well its no coincidence. When animals get sick the first thing they do is stop eating. They do this because they realize that their body needs all the energy it can utilize to put towards fighting off the illness. Digestion is the greatest energy burner in the human body and the animals realize that eating will only tire the body out and spend way too much energy and consequently wonít be able to fight off the ailment with its full strength. The animals also might eat plants during this time because the animals also realizes that plants contain the highest level of energy while expending very little to digest. So by replenishing the bodyís energy source with high energy/low energy cost foods, the animal is now giving the body the best shot at defeating the illness. Well people, we are animals, animals indeed. And just like your housedog our body needs to use a large portion of our energy to fight off our disease and give it the best fighting shot. So by excluding the fiber from the vegetables and just drinking the juice you are essentially fasting but at the same time replenishing your body with an extreme concentrated dose of energy so that it can go into superman mode and take care of your body. This is precisely why I am a proponent of 10+day juice fasts.

Juicing as a viable treatment option!

I am someone who absolutely believes that crohnís is cure-able through diet and lifestyle change. Call me a romantic, a dreamer, or a crazy, I donít care but just read and research and find out for yourself. ☺

After a long week in the hospital and having a camera stuck in my butt my doctor finally came in and explained to me I have a severe case of Crohnís Disease. I look puzzled and confused and he proceeds to explain that Crohnís is an abnormal response by your immune system as it attacks healthy tissue in your intestines.

Iím sure a lot of you also had a similar explanation given; something about your immune system acting out of place or being broken in one-way or the other.

I believe this line of thought is completely flawed. Our immune systems arenít dumb, they arenít confused, our immune systems arenít double agents whom pulled a gun on us after years of loyal service, they are still doing their jobs! I believe that the immune system is attacking our intestines for a reason and that it isnít strong enough to beat whatever it is attacking but it continues to rage war. If you get an infection on a cut after falling off your bike as a kid, the area around the cut gets inflamed and painful but the body does this to sanction the infection off so that the rest of the body isnít in jeopardy. By inflaming the area, blood flow is restricted and the infection canít spread. Now imagine we have a massive infection in our intestines, a strong infection, and our immune systems just canít get a handle on it so it inflames the area but the infection fights back and creates ulcers, and abscesses and the like.

Imagine for the remainder of the post that M.A.P. bacteria is responsible for crohnís (I do not personally believe this, this is simply just to make the post flow easier, any possible cause could be placed in itís place).

For those who have researched M.A.P. bacterium, you know it a very resistant strain and is not easily beat. So if our immune systems arenít strong enough to defeat the bacteria because of a weak genome (because of years of abuse on our bodies through horrible diet, antibiotics, and other environmental factors) then our immune system needs aid in order to get the upper hand.

So then two days later, after the biopsies confirmed a crohnís diagnosis, my doctor walks into my hospital room and talks to me about treatment option. He talks to me about remicade, a ďgood drugĒ but he warns me that it will SUPRESS my immune system and that I could be susceptible to infections or illness. I decide to trust my Doctor, I mean after all he studied for 8+ years on health... ... ... ... is health the right word?

*After a year of treatment I had 3 bouts of pneumonia and constant colds.

So instead of supporting our immune system and giving it the best chance it has to beat whatever itís trying to get at, the doctors want us to suppress the immune system to alleviate SYMPTOMS. Well in some cases thatís all people want, hey if you can tell me that I can take this pill or shot and I will never have symptoms again, Iím in. But we all know that isnít the case. The drugs work for only limited period of time and when you run out of drugs the disease comes back often with a vengeance.

Why does it always comeback with a vengeance!? WHY?!

Now imagine you are the M.A.P. bacteria and nothing would make you more happy but to destroy the hosts entire digestive tract. Well you have been raging hard in a war against the hostís immune system and things are getting heated. And just when your supplies start to run lowÖ. Low and behold a miracle!!! Some magic reinforcement specimen named remicade came and attacked the immune system from the left flank and weakened it for the foreseeable future. You know what they sayÖ when opportunity knocksÖ. So you gather all your strength and you get stronger and stronger because the immune system isnít bothering you any longer and now because there is no inflammation you are free to spread to different areas of the body! YAYYY!

I wait about an hour to see my G.I. doc (Arenít they always late?! What is with that?!) He goes over my recent test results and tells me I am showing high inflammation markers again. ďThe medicine isnít working as well any longerĒ. ďThe CT scan shows it has spread to involve about 10 more inches of your small intestineĒ
ďWhat can I do doc?Ē Ö. Ö. Ö. Ö Ö ďHave you heard of Humira?Ē

So now pretend for this paragraph you are the Immune system. Some jerk named Remicade just cheap shotted you and after 3 months of recovery and battle you finally defeated Remicade. Now itís time to get back at M.A.P. You look over the battle field and OH MY GOSH! THEY ARE EVERYWHERE! So now the M.A.P. has spread and gotten stronger so the immune system needs to involve more histamines and more inflammation to more parts of the intestines!

And that is exactly what often happens after people have run their course of medication; Not only does crohnís come back but it comes back with a vengeance because you allotted it the time to get stronger by taking the immunosuppressants.

Now lets flip the treatment plan shall we?

Imagine you are the immune system fighting this awful M.A.P. Bacterium and you just canít do it. You are too weak. It is a David and Goliath situation but this time David isnít going to win. So you send histamines to block off the infection through inflammation and just pray that reinforcements come through before it is too late! TADA! just when everything seems lost low and behold itís the Vitamin Regiment and the Mineral Core!

Organic natural Vitamins and minerals are what create a healthy and strong immune system. I am sure most of you were Vitamin D deficient as well as other Vitamins. Vitamin D just happens to be one of the most important vitamins for a healthy immune system, along with Vitamin C. With years and years of abusing your body through antiobiotcs, which kill beneficial floral in the gut that helps synthesize and assimilate nutrients, junk food and other factors your immune system will be substantially weakened.

When you juice you are getting a super concentrated dose of Vitamins and Minerals that are raw and natural. And with these new nutrients your body starts to detox and get rid of all harmful toxins. As toxins are being removed from your body, your liver starts to gain strength and when your liver gains strength your immune system starts getting strong. Vitamins are oh so important when it comes to health. Vitamins have sustained our genome through millions of years of evolution. Drugs are an invention that has only been around for a century and a half, yet we trust drugs more than we do million year old vitamins.

Why juice though!?!?

You are the immune system again and you notice broccoli, carrots, spinach, and kale all coming down the digestive tract. An already fatigued body because of an intense battle being raged all of a sudden has to digest this large amount of food. So the body, instead of saving the energy for the battle at hand with M.A.P., has to put the energy to digesting the foods ( like I stated at the beginning).

Now instead imagine fresh organic green vegetable juice comes down the digestive tract. YAYY!! A huge dose of energy is being assimilated and only a very very very little amount of energy needs to be used to digest the nutrients because its already in liquid form!!! So not only are you resting your gut and saving energy, but also you are giving your body an intense dose of energy and fresh vitamins and minerals so the immune system can use it at war!!! HOORAH!

So after reading this you at the back of the class room asks ďwell canít I just take multivitamins instead of having to juice for my vitaminsĒ

Well no you canít just take a multivitamin and get all of the benfits because, an apple is much more than a nutritional facts chart containing this % of Vitamin that and that % of Vitamin this, an apple is a perfectly welded machine, built over thousands of years containing thousands of other chemicals to help the body. Scientists and researchers always try to separate the beneficial parts of a plant without realizing the importance of keeping the parts together. For example take Swiss Chard... Swiss Chard contains copper and Vitamin B2. Now copper alone plays an important role but to much copper can be very dangerous. Vitamin B2 doesn't do much alone. Add in mineral Molybdenum. Molybdenum is cool because it regulates copper (will force detox copper if it reaches high levels) and will also work with B2 in conversion of food to energy. There are a number of different cases like swiss chard in which alone, these chemicals are limited, but together these chemicals are strong.

Also it is estimated by many scientists that there are as many as 10,000 phytochemicals (or food chemicals) yet to be discovered. Furthermore many discovered Vitamins are left out of multi-vitamins like Vitamins B13-B17 (Vitamin b17 one of the more useful of all vitamins), vitamin Bp,Bt. Vitamin J, N, Q, T, and U... to name a few. So by taking multi vitamins you would be missing out on all of that!!

Organic versus non organic.

Many people will think of organic verse non organic produce and think ďI donít see what the big deal is, pesticides are all around usĒ or ďthey wouldnít put pesticides on plants if they harmed humansĒ

First off, they would put pesticides on plants even if it harms humans, money talks not healthÖ but thatís not what Iím going to talk about in this portionÖ

While the pesticide problem is a main reason why I choose to exclusively buy organic, it absolutely is not the only important factor at hand..

We start with the fertilizers, these so called fertilizers contain essentially three elements N, P, and K, (Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium). Let me be clear here, these elements are great and essential but they are the bare minimum in order for a plant to grow and bear fruit. The soil requires approximately 52 chemicals, not 3! Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Copper, selenium, zinc, and so on and so forth are all missing. So what happens is the plants grow and because they arenít achieving their own form on nutrition, their defenses weaken and they are now susceptible to bugs. So the bugs come and start eating the plants and so the farmers throw a fit or two and call the chemical companies up and tell them to fix it. So of course the Chemical companies are like because nothing would make them more happy than to sell all these toxins that they are just sitting on.

Now I want to tell a story, a story of an orange tree. Now this orange tree has come from a line of many other healthy orange trees but whatís different about this orange tree is that it isnít in the same environment as its ancestors. Instead of being surrounded by healthy soil containing the 52 different elements, there are only 3 elements now. Hey but life goes on, you get lemons you make lemonade right? ( I would just plant a lemon tree with that lemon and have 40 more lemons) But anyways the tree begins to grow and its big and appears strong and it bears fruit like a champ but when the bugs come the next season his own form of an immune system (yes plants have immune systems too) is failing and isnít strong enough to ward off the bugs. So the farmer calls the local dust cropper and wabam all the bugs are dead but now not only is the tree deficient but now it is toxic! And now the fruit that it bears will only contain very very few minerals (because that is how fruits and veggies get minerals, from the soil) and very few vitamins not to even mention the very large toxic elephant in the room.

Now I want you to think about the story of the orange tree and basically fit your name in wherever I said orange tree. Now itís a story of you and you came from a line of very strong youís but you arenít in the same environment. Instead of eating healthy unaltered foods, you are now eating toxic and deficient foods that contain very little vitamins and even fewer minerals. But hey life goes on. Yada yada yada something about a lemon or lime or something. But you grow up tall and maybe you appear strong but then the bugs come. The rheumatoid arthritis bug, the colitis bug, the lupus bug, the CROHNS BUG, and while your healthier ancestors would have combated these bugs no problem because of their sidekicks Vitamin D , B12, Magnesium, Copper and Zinc, you donít find yourself so strong. You have been eating deficient toxic food your whole life much like the orange tree so the bugs infiltrate and you get sick. So you examine yourself and throw a fit or two and go crying to the pharmaceutical industry ( I swear you must be related to the orange, you are doing the exact same things! Talk about Deja vu!) just how the orange went crying to the chemical companies. Pharma is more than happy to sell you chemicals and then you let the cycle continue.

That is why organic is so very important, I realize I may have took it a bit farther than many of you were prepared for but either way I think it is very educational.

So I hope you read the ENTIRE thread and maybe you learned a bit of information. If you read this and maybe agree with me on a lot of my points, it is important for you to do research on your own. Donít take my word for it, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH. Knowledge is power.

I hope I at least helped one person. And if you disagree with me on just about every point, I think the most important point that I believe in is that the immune system isnít acting out of turn and isnít stupid. It is attacking something, and if you believe that then maybe you will stay away from immunosuppressants.

Anyways trying Juicing it canít hurt you, what do you have to lose?!?!

Be the healthiest you can be,
Gianni

JUICING! click here!

Last edited by Gianni; 10-06-2012 at 04:30 PM.
10-05-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
NikkiMae

Thanks for posting this. I was recently diagnosed (literally 9 days ago) with Crohn's. I just discussed the possibility of juicing with a friend of mine. I, of course, was put on medication right away. 40mg Prednisone and 750mg Metronidazole. I'd like to finish my medication and then explore the option of juicing.

I have a few concerns. The major one is, my BM's are already liquid and hard to control. I'm afraid that if all I consume is liquids, my trips to the bathroom will be more frequent. Another concern is that my schedule is extremely packed. I'm afraid I won't have the time or means to constantly take juice with me every where. I practically live in my car or at my college.

Also, do you attribute your remission or cure of Crohn's to juicing? Again, thanks for the post.
10-05-2012, 01:28 AM   #3
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Hey Nikki,

You are very welcome, Glad i could help

To answer your questions:

Juice is liquid form but the fiber is removed and your body will literally absorb all of the juice. The whole principal behind diarrhea is that your body doesn't like what you gave it and it will try to get rid of it as soon as possible so the intestines don't take the time to digest the water that is mixed in with the food ( thats what makes diarrhea watery). While I'm on a juice fast i literally don't even have BM's.

Time is a big issue for many. And it was a issue for me for a long time as-well. For when i know I am going to have a busy week what i do is on Sundays I will juice for the whole week and store the juice in jars and in the fridge. The nutrient loss will be minimal in air tight glass jars. So each day just open the fridge and grab a juice.

I attribute my "almost cure" of crohn's to juicing and a plant based diet. I think juicing is the main reason but i also think raw fibrous vegetation is also extremely important. I say "almost cure" because I think it takes a long time to cure yourself especially because i had severe crohn's disease. I know that i am well on my way to being cured, i just don't think im quite there yet

Hope this helped

Gianni
10-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #4
CelesteStarr

I was scared that joining this forum i'd only have people suggesting steroids to me... Thank you for posting this! I have an amazing high quality juicer that I haven't taken advantage of I'll get right to it tomorrow! Thanks again!
10-05-2012, 02:35 AM   #5
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I was scared that joining this forum i'd only have people suggesting steroids to me... Thank you for posting this! I have an amazing high quality juicer that I haven't taken advantage of I'll get right to it tomorrow! Thanks again!
You are very welcome! let me know how it goes!
10-05-2012, 04:01 AM   #6
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
I am a massive fan of juicing .
I do it every morning for breakfast. To answer the time issue question - it takes me about 5 minutes to juice a glass , give the dogs the left over pulp and rinse my machine parts - I give it a good soapy clean at the weekend when I do have a bit more time.

I believe that juicing and stopping people smoking around me are the two best things I did to help my disease. And I heartily recommend everyone at least tries it for all the reasons you have listed. Or even just to support the body while you receive treatment, it could alleviate side effects.

Whether it is enough on its own I cannot say as I am also taking immune suppressing drugs, But I will continue to juice whether I am on drugs or not, I am into it for life now I am sure.
In fact I am nearly having a panic attack about going on holiday in a couple of weeks ( where will I get my pure, fresh juice ! Nothing that comes in a bottle can compare ).
Juicing every morning.
Taking vitamin D spray
Multi vits & iron
And Probio 7 probiotic.

Being given a "drugs rest" from Aza - 17/9/14
10-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #7
David
Co-Founder

Thank you for putting so much effort into the post, I can tell you're passionate about the subject. I personally think juicing is great, but in conjunction with other treatments, not as a standalone. I also feel that you're doing more harm that good by stating you think this type of stuff will cure your IBD. I believe it can help some people achieve or maintain remission but is not a cure but you and I have already had this debate

Questions:

1. What is your opinion on juicing organic fruits and vegetables versus non organic?
2. Do you try to stay away from vegetables potentially high in nitrates?
3. Are there any books you recommend for someone just starting out? A step by step for people who want to get started would be invaluable. I think there is a lot of interest but many are overwhelmed as to where to start.
4. Not all Crohnies are alike. Not all fruit and veggies are a like. I just wonder if juicing can be taken to a whole new level. Can we make the approach much more scientific. For example, if someone has a deficiency in magnesium and calcium, is there a recipe for them. If someone has Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth, are there recipes for them. If someone is constipated, is there a recipe for them. If someone is on Prednisone, is there a recipe for them. If someone is on Methotrexate which interferes with folate, is there a recipe for them. And on and on. Thoughts on that?

Thanks again
10-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
ThanksP

I juice everyday and cannot imagine a day without it. I do feel it has helped me immensely but it certainly didn't cure my Crohn's. I believe it has helped in achieving my year long remission and given me a lot more energy.
10-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
Moe.

I remember on the Forum
That someone told about their 40 day juice FAST.
7 Months after the result he believed he was cured. Its a shame havent seen
him since. But hes been of all meds, and is perfectly health with normal BM.

So yes your "theory" correlates with the Juice Fast. It similiar to the SCD diets way of thinking, that there is definitely a Bacteria that the body is trying to get rid of but keeps on failing. Western Countries are the most susceptible to this.

Could be MAP , could be E.Coli, Could be anything.

I think everyone needs to expand their horizons and think of this example.
Once a year I get a cold. Take medicine after 7 days all good.

In the future
Once A year i Get crohns, Juice fast for 20 days, back to normal. ( or take a pill which would actually work(one day)).

10-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
bangarang

Great post nice to see others preaching importance of juicing. Its funny people go on certain liquid_diets with ingredients full of synthetic unnatural crap in it but when you mention juicing real natural foods they usually look at you weird.
10-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The first time I drank an all green juice (chard, kale, collards, etc), I had the most energy I've had in a good two years. I took a break from juicing but I'd like to start back. Thanks for the great post!
10-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #12
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Thank you for putting so much effort into the post, I can tell you're passionate about the subject. I personally think juicing is great, but in conjunction with other treatments, not as a standalone. I also feel that you're doing more harm that good by stating you think this type of stuff will cure your IBD. I believe it can help some people achieve or maintain remission but is not a cure but you and I have already had this debate

Questions:

1. What is your opinion on juicing organic fruits and vegetables versus non organic?
2. Do you try to stay away from vegetables potentially high in nitrates?
3. Are there any books you recommend for someone just starting out? A step by step for people who want to get started would be invaluable. I think there is a lot of interest but many are overwhelmed as to where to start.
4. Not all Crohnies are alike. Not all fruit and veggies are a like. I just wonder if juicing can be taken to a whole new level. Can we make the approach much more scientific. For example, if someone has a deficiency in magnesium and calcium, is there a recipe for them. If someone has Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth, are there recipes for them. If someone is constipated, is there a recipe for them. If someone is on Prednisone, is there a recipe for them. If someone is on Methotrexate which interferes with folate, is there a recipe for them. And on and on. Thoughts on that?

Thanks again
Hiya David,

I guess we will have to agree to disagree (once again, hmphhh)
Before i answer your questions i'd like to ask you one: Why is it that you don't think diet can cure ailments such as crohns? What about the theory seems flawed to you? Also what is your own theory on crohns, do you believe that the immune system is flawed? Just curious cause I respect your opinions.

Answers:
1. You know initially i had in my post the importance of organic versus non organic but i thought it would be too overwhelming for some people to have at the top of the post a "basics of juicing" section and then have a treatment option section and on top of that an even lengthier organic vs non organic section but i suppose after i read the post a few times it doesn't seem "too" overwhelming so i have edited it in at the end of the post.

2. I don't exclusively stay away from the vegetables containing high nitrates for a couple reason. First off it is typically commercially grown produce that contains these high nitrate levels and i do only shop organic and most of the time at local farmers markets. The articfical fertilizers have been shown to double to amount of nitrates typically found in any vegetables especially those in the ground. Second and the main reason why i don't worry about it that much is because Vitamin C prevents nitrate turning into nitrate which is the dangerous stuff that starves your oxygen supply in blood. As long as you have Vitamin C and a rather good amount of it and try to shop organic nitrates really shouldn't be a problem. This is why i am such a proponent of Kale, kale has very high vitamin C levels for a leafy green and of course also contains many many many other benefits.

3.You know I haven't read a juicing book. I figured a lot of stuff as i went along and researched online but there wasn't really one source that helped me get there. I know there are youtube videos that helped me buy a juicers and helped me get down the methods and rhymes and reasons to juicing but there really wasn't one source that helped me through it all. I would say just look up a beginning juicing book online but i really don't know if they would have the same line of thought as me.

4. I'm glad you brought this up, you have read my mind . I am actually working on recipes for mineral and vitamin deficiencies. It is kind of a put down your supplement bottles and pick up these vegetables kind of deal so I am excited to be working on that and i will post it when im done. Many of the symptoms that come with crohn's would be healed along with crohns and seeing as crohns deal with the immune system just about any juice is going to strengthen the immune system alot. But I have thought about doing a complications of crohn's juice treatments like joint pain, eye inflammation, skin rashes, fatigue, thyroid problems, etc. As for the Methotrexate juices i never have thought about that. Very good idea. I could create a ideal juicing regiment for those who do want to maintain their treatments while adopting juicing. I will definitely look into that. Thanks

Hope that answered those questions !

Gianni

Great post nice to see others preaching importance of juicing. Its funny people go on certain liquid_diets with ingredients full of synthetic unnatural crap in it but when you mention juicing real natural foods they usually look at you weird.
Thanks Bangarang! I know right? IT IS CRAZY how people look at me funny when i suggest vegetables and a healthy diet over pills. PILLS SHOULD BE THE THING THAT SOUNDS WEIRD. Ahh it is how everyone has been socialized... pill for every ill. I believe through the internet this idea will be broken.. all in good time

Gianni

Last edited by Gianni; 10-05-2012 at 09:25 PM.
10-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #13
David
Co-Founder

Why is it that you don't think diet can cure ailments such as crohns? What about the theory seems flawed to you? Also what is your own theory on crohns, do you believe that the immune system is flawed?
To simplify, because I believe Crohn's has a genetic component. If you have Celiac Disease and don't eat gluten, you don't cure what's wrong with you. You might be 100% without gluten but you're not cured. As soon as you eat gluten again, you're in trouble. With Crohn's, I believe for some people, diet can take you to remission or at least assist getting to it. You're not changing the underlying issue, you're bypassing it. If you went back to your old eating habits, you'd flare right back up. Thus you are not cured.

2. I don't exclusively stay away from the vegetables containing high nitrates for a couple reason. First off it is typically commercially grown produce that contains these high nitrate levels and i do only shop organic and most of the time at local farmers markets. The articfical fertilizers have been shown to double to amount of nitrates typically found in any vegetables especially those in the ground. Second and the main reason why i don't worry about it that much is because Vitamin C prevents nitrate turning into nitrate which is the dangerous stuff that starves your oxygen supply in blood. As long as you have Vitamin C and a rather good amount of it and try to shop organic nitrates really shouldn't be a problem. This is why i am such a proponent of Kale, kale has very high vitamin C levels for a leafy green and of course also contains many many many other benefits.
I assume you mean stopping nitrate turning into nitrite? Can you link me to a reputable source that showcases that vitamin C does that please? And I'm of the opinion that the real culprit in the reaction isn't so much nitrite, but peroxynitrite.

4. I'm glad you brought this up, you have read my mind . I am actually working on recipes for mineral and vitamin deficiencies. It is kind of a put down your supplement bottles and pick up these vegetables kind of deal so I am excited to be working on that and i will post it when im done. Many of the symptoms that come with crohn's would be healed along with crohns and seeing as crohns deal with the immune system just about any juice is going to strengthen the juice alot. But I have thought about doing a complications of crohn's juice treatments like joint pain, eye inflammation, skin rashes, fatigue, thyroid problems, etc. As for the Methotrexate juices i never have thought about that. Very good idea. I could create a ideal juicing regiment for those who do want to maintain their treatments while adopting juicing. I will definitely look into that. Thanks
Very cool! I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Especially for the eye inflammation as I get that one
10-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #14
Gianni

My Support Groups:
To simplify, because I believe Crohn's has a genetic component. If you have Celiac Disease and don't eat gluten, you don't cure what's wrong with you. You might be 100% without gluten but you're not cured. As soon as you eat gluten again, you're in trouble. With Crohn's, I believe for some people, diet can take you to remission or at least assist getting to it. You're not changing the underlying issue, you're bypassing it. If you went back to your old eating habits, you'd flare right back up. Thus you are not cured.
I don't see the connection here. I understand that yes if you don't eat gluten it doesn't mean you are cured. But that's like saying if you stay away from crohn's aggravating foods that doesn't mean you are cured. Of course not. I am not suggesting you take a sideline seat and play defensive im saying get on the offensive and help the immune system, be pro active and fix the underlying problems, im saying don't tread lightly around the big bully im saying gather your information, gather your knowledge and face it head on.

It is changing the underlying issue though, what isn't changing the underlying issue is drugs. Drugs only treat symptoms. I get the feeling that you think diet also only treats symptoms, but food is amazingly powerful.

What do you think the underlying issue is? If it is genetic why didn't our whole lineage have it, did your parents have it? mine didn't.

In a society that keeps on popping up with all these condition we have to look at our systems of health in this country. What do we do drastically different that other countries aren't doing? Its our diet! if it looks like fire, and smells like fire it must be fire. By blaming genetics (and this is my opinion i want to stress that) you are essentially saying that if it looks like fire and smells like fire it must be a 20 ton whale. Or the smell of the fire is just being ignored.

You have to recognize the underline problem to figure out the underline solution. Genetics are so complicated and confusing and with such a confusing disease its natural for people to blame the most complicated source because "if it was that simple my doctor would have told me". "If you want something done in this world you have to do it yourself" it is so true.

Also if you can blame genetics it takes out the blame from you. When i was first diagnosed i said to myself "i was dealt bad hand" "there is nothing i can do about it" But that is non sense. Just how humans have created a stronger and stronger genome through evolution why can't we grow stronger.. why can't we take our own destiny in our hands just how primal humans did in the past.

Also I know you believe that it has something to do with genetics. Do you have a theory on how the genetics have caused the crohns? For example do you think we just genetically have a broken immune system or are you unsure, you just believe that it has something to do with genetics?

Sorry for the rant, i am fairly passionate about this stuff.

I assume you mean stopping nitrate turning into nitrite? Can you link me to a reputable source that showcases that vitamin C does that please? And I'm of the opinion that the real culprit in the reaction isn't so much nitrite, but peroxynitrite.
Oops yeah sorry about that i did mean nitrite. And yes of course, i have a source that actually does a study on peroxynitrite versus Vitamin C (click that).

Hope that helped.

Gianni

Last edited by Gianni; 10-06-2012 at 03:41 AM.
10-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #15
David
Co-Founder

Fair enough. Sorry to hijack the juicing part a little. Let's focus on that now
10-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #16
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Oh no, don't apologize, i want people to bring forward their concerns.
10-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #17
Yannick

What kind of vegetable and fruits do you juice? In the main post you talk about brocoli but my doctor told me to stay away from brocoli and cauliflower and also bought apple juice but she said eating a apple is fine so I guess juicing a apple would be fine.

Are all juicer good ? I found this one http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/big-boss...=SRCH%3Ajuicer

Right now I was told to stay away from pulpes since I am on a low fiber and residue diet so I guess this juicing could help me get some fruit and vegetables?
10-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #18
Gianni

My Support Groups:
What kind of vegetable and fruits do you juice? In the main post you talk about brocoli but my doctor told me to stay away from brocoli and cauliflower and also bought apple juice but she said eating a apple is fine so I guess juicing a apple would be fine.

Are all juicer good ? I found this one http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/big-boss...=SRCH%3Ajuicer

Right now I was told to stay away from pulpes since I am on a low fiber and residue diet so I guess this juicing could help me get some fruit and vegetables?
Hey Yannik. Click here for my 3 basic juices that I do. I will be updating that thread as time goes on with more juices but the first three are a good start.

I am guessing that your doctor told you to stay away from broccoli and cauliflower because they are bulky vegetables and can cause a blockage if there is acute inflammation present in the gut. I was told the same thing.

But if you juice the broccoli then the fiber is removed so there is no possible way that it can cause a blockage. Juicing apples are great, but in conjuction with other vegetables. ( you don't want to just juice apples as it is too much sugar).

As for the different types of Juicers: http://www.fernsnutrition.com/juicer_types.htm This link will help you better understand the difference between the types. Also go on youtube and watch comparison videos between different juicers (That's what i did)

Personally i have a super angel twin gear triturating juicer. It is expensive but i saved up because i knew i couldn't put a price on my health .

Hope this helps

Gianni
10-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #19
Jennifer
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Fair enough. Sorry to hijack the juicing part a little. Let's focus on that now
I wouldn't mind reading a new thread made by either of you on the subject of genetics vs the American diet as possible causes. Would be entertaining and I might even weigh in.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
10-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #20
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I wouldn't mind reading a new thread made by either of you on the subject of genetics vs the American diet as possible causes. Would be entertaining and I might even weigh in.
Noted

Gianni
10-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #21
Yannick

Damn I hate canada for products lol I think I will go with this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16896705238
This could be a good starter I guess it has good reviews on amazon.com and I get free shipping. At 70$ I wont be too pissed if I hate juicing lol. It sucks because in the U.S its only 49$ -_-
10-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #22
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Sounds good Yannick Wow i didn't know amazon changed the price based on the country.

Anyhow, let me know how you like it.

Gianni
10-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #23
Yannick

Nah the problem is the shipping the damn border tax is insane. I just saw I could get the better version for just 2$ more lol look more solid I will get that one ;p http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16896705313 wich is 59$ on amazon.com so I don't feel as ripped off haha.

Edit: Ahh crap just noticed it was newegg.com and not .ca they don't have it in canada fail.... hehe
10-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #24
Gianni

My Support Groups:
That is a bummer, I love amazon! .

haha perfect good luck

Gianni

edit: Ahh oh no, lol bummer!
10-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #25
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
I got the phillips quick clean juicer i love the thing it is a powerful centrifugal juicer and has a special lid on the jug that takes the foam of the juice. Im starting a juice fast tomorrow don't know how long ill last but gonna give it my all
10-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #26
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Great ozboz! I love Juice Fasts, I am actually considering doing a 60 day juice fast this summer anyhow, good luck!
10-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #27
colonless

I read your article and find it very interesting and informative, it makes a lot sense. This could quite possibly be a viable and hopefully even probable alternative to the current medical protocol of reactive treatments currently being used and prescribed. Perhaps the use of a proactive approach as you suggest may even work......it certainly could not hurt?
Thanks!
10-07-2012, 11:55 PM   #28
ThanksP

While I ABSOLUTELY believe in juicing, there are some veggies that can contradict Crohn's treatments and also other ailments (i.e diabetes, kidney issues, cancer treatments, and certain meds). It's DEFINTELY best to research which veggies work for which ailments. For instance, if you have history of kidney stones, spinach, swiss chard, parsley should be avoided because of their high oxalate qualities. WIth Diabetes there are a whole host of veggies (Beets) and fruits you should avoid whether juicing or eating in its natural state. Also, if you are on blood thinners; there are an entire other group of food and supplements you should avoid or at least take in small moderation. As far as cancer treatments (as I learned with my 11 year old nephew, juicing many veggies can inhibit treatment). So while I can say juicing is an INCREDIBLE way to supplement diet, it is also something you MUST discuss with your doctor. If your doctor doesn't know about juicing and it's benefits/contradictions, then PLEASE find another PROFESSIONAL opinion.

I take Turmeric (Curcumin) as a supplement but was unhappy to find studies how it can interact with certain chemotherapy treatments. Thankfully Infliximab (Remicade) was not included in that study, but my dear nephews drug WAS included. And he's been taking Curcumin and battling Lymphoma for over a year now. I am all for finding an herbal/holistic treatment but I don't want to counteract his treatments with some unregulated herbal concoction either.

Basically, just please educate yourself first and no matter what, TELL YOUR DOCTOR EVERY supplement/vitamin you are taking. They can completely contraindicate.
10-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #29
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
Here is an excellent book that I found on juicing and it tells you what combinations of veg/fruit and what quantities for all types of conditions/diseases I highly recommend it.

Fresh vegetable and fruit juices whats missing in your body by N.W. Walker D.Sc
10-08-2012, 01:04 AM   #30
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
Basically, just please educate yourself first and no matter what, TELL YOUR DOCTOR EVERY supplement/vitamin you are taking. They can completely contraindicate.
A doctor once told me that all supplements are crap and that I shouldn't take anything except for what he prescribes he said all over the counter supplements are hocus pocus all his stuff ever did was make me more sick and supplements make me feel better go figure

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Juicing as a Viable Treatment option!