• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crock pot recipes?

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I'm admittedly not much of a cook - my culinary expertise is limited to following instructions on a box or mix. :p But I do have a crock pot and I can make chicken broth in it, although that's about all I've made in it. Anybody have any tummy-friendly crock pot recipes to share now that the weather has turned colder (at least here it has)?

rygon

I normally shove some diced meat in there (cow or lamb) and then add veg (carrots onions leeks mushrooms potatoes) and then some boullion, herbs and cook for 10hrs

Ive done beef joint in there (carrots, onions at the bottom with 500ml water) and cook for 8hrs or so and it comes out great and you are left with a great stock to make gravy with.

My friend always makes bolognaise in it and cooks the spaghetti seperately

I use allrecipes.com and skinnytaste.com and look for "slow cooker recipes". I always stay away from the ones that add canned "cream of anything" because it's so unhealthy.

Here is the most tender falling off the bone tender whole chicken recipe for your crock pot. Leave out the 2 x pepper seasonings - you won't miss it.

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2011/02/25/recipe-the-best-whole-chicken-in-a-crock-pot/

It is so moist and tender, you will have to carve it in the crock pot.
I "roast" plain chicken like this. I just throw a naked bird in the crock pot, add nothing, and turn it on. Tastes like a rotisserie chicken from the market. I will vouch for how tender and moist it is. I detest overcooked stringy chicken and this turns out perfect every time.

We have been cooking everything in the crock pot lately. Chicken and dumplings, lasagna, chicken bacon ranch pasta, beef stew, potato soup. Just throw in anything that sounds good and let it cook for 6 hours. LOL

hawkeye

Staff member
My repitoire is usually side ribs although we want to use it more this year. We cooked a big batch of stuffing in it when we roast a turkey in the oven over the weekend. Made applesauce in it earlier this year.

Lasagna works great in the crock pot. Don't bother boiling the noodles. Just layer sauce, noodles, cheesy stuff, etc in several layers, put the lid on and let it rip. You could probably google a more exact recipe if you need one. I am the worst for cooking by the seat of my pants.

hawkeye

Staff member
Did meatloaf in the crockpot tonight with carrots and potatoes - turned out excellent. Picked up a couple of beef roasts today at the grocery store to put in the freezer for future crock pot suppers.

Looking to do something next with some simmering steaks.

Crockpot recipeis

I use 2 boxes of low salt organic chicken stock. Add 2 boneless chic breasts, bag of baby carrots, touch of sea salt, quarter an onion for taste, add one large can of cream of chip soup. Cook on low for 10 hrs. If you want you can add broad egg noodles or make dumplings to add for the last 1hr. It is very soft, and hearty. I am eating this 3-4 times a week due to my 3 strictures in my ileum. I suppose you could add anything ,but I find this very low residue and is healthy and hearty!:ghug:

Last edited:
I read this as "crack-pot recipes" hahaha! This thread is making me hungry. I don't cook so I've got nothing helpful to add, but my dad is a crock pot master. Chicken gets soooo soft and juicy in there!

I love my slow cooker for ribs, brisket, and just about anything I can set and forget. For very simple shredded pork sandwiches, put pork loin and a can of Dr. Pepper into the crock pot, season, cook for 8 hours and shred with a fork.

I "roast" plain chicken like this. I just throw a naked bird in the crock pot, add nothing, and turn it on. Tastes like a rotisserie chicken from the market. I will vouch for how tender and moist it is. I detest overcooked stringy chicken and this turns out perfect every time.
Lisa - this sounds so yummy, but doesn't it really dirty up the crock pot - hard to clean after?