• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bought my first juicer today! :)

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I bought my first juicer today off of craigslist. It's a Dash Juicer. :soledance:

The owner had bought it 3 weeks ago, used it once and bought another one because he wanted something smaller/that took up less space on his counter.

The average price for this machine is $130 and he gave it to me for $35!!!:dance:

I experimented with my first drink tonight too:

1 medium bowl of kale leaves
1 medium granny smith apple
1 celery stalk
1 medium cucumber
1 kiwi

It was actually delicious and refreshing lol! (better after I put it through a strainer once to get rid of some of the foam)

I'm actually pretty excited about this because my goal was to juice for breakfast or lunch at least every other day to help give my gut a tiny bit of a break but I couldn't afford a machine. Now I have a pretty decent one that will hopefully last for a while.

Also it's a great way for me to get my veggies in since I don't normally eat them and it seems that I may not be absorbing much of the nutrients from them the old fashioned way anyhow when I do make strong efforts to cook/eat veggies.

Does anyone have specific combinations of veggie recipes or suggestions for the best way to balance a juice drink that are helpful to them?

Anyone have any positive stories to share about how juicing has helped them in any way? (digestive, mental, emotional, etc....)

:luigi:

Gianni

:thumright::banana::yoshijumpjoy::DWoohoo!!

Glad to hear you are getting into juicing! :D

Here is my juicing recipes thread

It only has four at the moment, but I will be adding more. Also feel free to submit any juice recipes that have worked for you on that thread, and i will post them:)!

Keep us updated on your experiences with juicing!:)

Gianni

I ordered a juicer also last week and should turn up early next week. I can't wai to get started and it's good to read other people giving it a go as well. Hope your juicing goes well :)

scottsma

well done both of you.Please keep us updated on how you're doing and any new recipes.I've been juicing for about six months and I love it.I always wash up immediately,before I drink my juice,then it's over with.I think I've lost some weight as I only have a banana with wheatgrass mixed in store bought juice for breakfast,then after I've walked the dog I juice my veggies.I usually only have one meal a day.But I still have chocolate.My usual juice drink is 2 lge carrotts 2 celery sticks 1 beetroot and 1 apple.Straight from the chiller.sometimes kale,orange,brocolli,sweet potato.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Sounds yummy scottsma! :)

Thanks everyone for your support. I will definitely be keeping up with all of you as I try this out!

So far I've got carrots, spinach, kale, cucumbers, celery, strawberries, blueberries, apples, oranges, kiwis, sweet potatoes and bananas in my fridge to try out. What I don't put in the juicer, I can definitely make a smoothie out of with my greek yogurt and almond milk! :)

Drinking veggie juice has never been an issue for me. I always enjoyed jamba juice and other places for their carrot juices, spinach juices, etc....this journey will also hopefully save me a few extra bucks in the eating out/over-indulgence department.

And I wish you all luck and progress on your juicing journey as well! :)

Congrats on the great deal on your new juicer! You bring up an excellent point. For those of us considering juicing, the cost is often a big hurdle, but it's amazing how many people have nearly new juicers lying around the house that they'd be willing to sell or give away. Yard sales, craigs list, or just mentioning your need to friends on Facebook could give quick results for a fraction of the price. I just mentioned our desire to try juicing to a coworker and coincidentally she had just bought a new slicer/dicer/juicer, so she no longer needed her old juicer. A barely used juicer for $50! Woot!

Fingers crossed for a Breville Juice Fountain Duo on craigslist. I just might have to join the juicers this weekend...

Scored a nearly new juicer for 150 today, though it's priced at 400-580 new. Had my first carrot, sweet potato, apple, kale, ginger juice, and it was surprisingly refreshing. The sweet potato juice is something I could get addicted to--pretty filling and super nutritious. I'll hafta ask Gianni for tips/precautions when using this Breville contraption... *Point duly noted on the lemon/lime skin avoidance in centrifugals. Not sure about ginger, seems to only do the job halfway.

Can't make the juice fast, unfortunately. I had the all too familiar experience of peeling a frickin deer tick--by the head slowly but firmly--off me this morning. Holy #$%# I'm fuming after trying to dig out the pinchers, to no avail.

TIP: if you should find yourself wondering how to handle a tick that's attached, maybe try the possibly effective technique which involves suffocating the bastard with vaseline. Who knows, maybe it will release itself as some people suggest and back out of your flesh.

Now I'm left braving the 10 day scorched gut policy, that is doxycycline, just days after warning others to keep an eye out for this possibly man made plague. We've had multiple hard frosts in our area but these vampires never quit, apparently.:devil:

Last edited:
Ive been juicing for years as a natural therapy to deal with my crohns. in my opinion fresh veggie juice is waaaay better for you than those fake chemical sugar packed ensures .

I almost always use ginger apple and 1/2 a lemon in my juices, this is a surefire way that it will taste good if you are experimenting

I like juicing by color, love a good green juice with kale or chard, cuke, parsley, celery or an orange juice with gold beets and carrot.

fresh juice is so life-giving, full of live enzymes and the best way for health foodie crohnies like me to get as many veg in as I want

:thumright::banana::yoshijumpjoy::DWoohoo!!

Glad to hear you are getting into juicing! :D

It only has four at the moment, but I will be adding more. Also feel free to submit any juice recipes that have worked for you on that thread, and i will post them:)!

Keep us updated on your experiences with juicing!:)

Gianni
Thank you for the great recipes!