Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Juicing as a Viable Treatment option!

10-16-2012, 02:17 AM   #61
Thermo

I wouldn't mind reading a new thread made by either of you on the subject of genetics vs the American diet as possible causes. Would be entertaining and I might even weigh in.
This has been thoroughly researched no need to reinvent the wheel, the genetic link has been well established. But of course it is linked to diet the majority of ailments today are due in some part to what we ingest. However think of it this way, if there was no genetic cause why doesn't everyone have crohns? If only what we ate caused Crohns every single person on this planet would have it and we would all have diabetes and so on. So there is a diet connection but to shun genetics is like saying evolution doesn't exist, it's bad science and it's dangerous.

Meds - Humira, B-12 Injections, Vitamin D, Iron, VSL#3

Surgery - Open Ileocolic Resection July 24, 2012 (44cm removed 17 inches including appendix)

My Advice: Find a good GI, Primary Doctor, Optician, and spouse and stick with them, don't be afraid of the Biologics and 6 MP's if you hit the disease hard at diagnosis you fight off the natural progression and have a better quality of life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC2VyIxiWmk
10-16-2012, 02:32 AM   #62
Gianni

My Support Groups:
This has been thoroughly researched no need to reinvent the wheel, the genetic link has been well established. But of course it is linked to diet the majority of ailments today are due in some part to what we ingest. However think of it this way, if there was no genetic cause why doesn't everyone have crohns? If only what we ate caused Crohns every single person on this planet would have it and we would all have diabetes and so on. So there is a diet connection but to shun genetics is like saying evolution doesn't exist, it's bad science and it's dangerous.
I'm not sure you understand diet. I think you believe on piece of food is the equivalent to the other. Diabetes is proven to be caused by diet and is proven to be prevented by diet.

I feel like your saying because everyone on the planet eats then everyone would get crohn's if there wasn't a genetic link... ? Food is very different. The American Diet is proving to be the reason why America is so sick. America is the sickest nation in the world and many believe the diet is to blame... that is a well known concept.

I don't understand your line of thought. please elaborate.

Gianni

JUICING! click here!
10-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #63
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Not all diabetes is caused by diet and prevented by diet. There are different types of diabetes and there is a genetic link.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
10-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #64
Wooddy

Gianni,

Although you bring up some very good points, it's important to try to keep everything together in the correct context in order to get your point across. 2thFairy is 100% correct about diabetes. Even though a terrible diet may hasten the onset of type II diabetes in some, there are people that are overweight with a terrible diet that do not have diabetes and will never get it. Then you have those people that are athletes and eat the healthiest food on the planet but they still have type II diabetes. How do you explain that? The statements you made earlier make it sound like an ignorant and insensitive person. Which I am sure that you are not. Just be careful how you draw your conclusions.

Keep in mind that man did not evolve with a Vitamix blender in his lap. Although diet plays a key role in many disease processes it would be ignorant to overlook the genetic factors that you can not control with diet.

Keep up the passion and keep thinking outside the box but just make sure you stay on the right track
10-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #65
Gianni

My Support Groups:
My point about Diabetes was to show that not any diet would cause all diseases. Just wanted to point out that diabetes can be prevented through diet but yes not all, as with any disease there are exceptions. I should have said most cases of Diabetes.

I am not overlooking the genetic factor I think it is absolutely part of the equation. I just believe the genetic factor is a bit different than how others view it. I will post a thread soon explaining but I would rather get back to the topic of this thread, Juicing.

Gianni

Last edited by Gianni; 10-16-2012 at 02:19 PM.
10-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #66
Thermo

what isn't changing the underlying issue is drugs. Drugs only treat symptoms. I get the feeling that you think diet also only treats symptoms

What do you think the underlying issue is? If it is genetic why didn't our whole lineage have it, did your parents have it? mine didn't.

By blaming genetics (and this is my opinion i want to stress that) you are essentially saying that if it looks like fire and smells like fire it must be a 20 ton whale. Or the smell of the fire is just being ignored.

You have to recognize the underline problem to figure out the underline solution. Genetics are so complicated and confusing and with such a confusing disease its natural for people to blame the most complicated source because "if it was that simple my doctor would have told me".

Also if you can blame genetics it takes out the blame from you.
My comment was more about this post, believe me I understand what you are saying and agree that diet plays a big role but I do not believe it is 100% the underlying cause. Crohns is an extremely rare disease and to say that it is 100% due to diet just doesn't add up. If that was the case then Crohns would be more prevalent. Now if you said that you think our mutated genes (That have been proven mind you) thrive off our diet today and that's what causes it to be such a problem more so than the past, I would be right there with you nodding my head. To not recognize genetics in modern diseases is like saying that overweight people just eat too much, and doesn't explain sickle cell anemia, Alzheimer's, down syndrome, and hundreds of thousands if not every single disease on the planet. Excluding opportunist bacterial infections or viruses of course.

The one thing that I explain to everyone when they ask me how I got Crohns is that 50 years ago I would have died when I was 12 years old due to this disease and I would not have passed on my genes to my off spring, due to modern medicines people are living fuller lives and what would kill you in the past doesn't you simply take medicine to keep you alive. Due to this fact the entire world will just continue getting sicker and sicker until we develop cures for these things, and yes diet plays a role in this but when you stop more people from dying the world becomes more populated and mutated genes spread.

As you said on page one:

Oh no, don't apologize, i want people to bring forward their concerns.
You put yourself out there on the forums and that is very hard to do, it seems like everyone appreciates your post here about juicing and I myself will read up and try some as I am always up for juicing recommendations, don't take the feedback negatively, we are all taking time out of our life and disease to come together and grow. I look forward to hearing more posts from you in the future.
10-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #67
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Crohns is an extremely rare disease and to say that it is 100% due to diet just doesn't add up. If that was the case then Crohns would be more prevalent. Now if you said that you think our mutated genes (That have been proven mind you) thrive off our diet today and that's what causes it to be such a problem more so than the past, I would be right there with you nodding my head.
I in no way think diet plays 100% role in causing this disease. But yes i do believe that diet has caused mutated genes. My thought process is more complicated than that but I do want to stick to juicing in this thread as i will make a thread explaining my theory on genetics shortly.

Due to this fact the entire world will just continue getting sicker and sicker until we develop cures for these things, and yes diet plays a role in this but when you stop more people from dying the world becomes more populated and mutated genes spread.
I don't believe we will ever see an allopathic cure but that's neither here or there.

These mutated genes came from somewhere and while maybe there are more cases of Crohn's disease because of allopathic intervention, the problem still lies that people would have had short lived lives and Crohn's would still very well be a big problem. I believe that if a gene can be damaged/mutated it can be fixed.

You put yourself out there on the forums and that is very hard to do, it seems like everyone appreciates your post here about juicing and I myself will read up and try some as I am always up for juicing recommendations, don't take the feedback negatively, we are all taking time out of our life and disease to come together and grow. I look forward to hearing more posts from you in the future.
Thank you for the kind words. I hope it didn't come off as me attacking you earlier. I simply just didn't understand what you were saying entirely.

Gianni
10-17-2012, 01:02 AM   #68
Mountaingem
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Gianni I love all the info on juicing-a very interesting read. I also enjoy juicing but I do not use it as a treatment, more as a way to supplement vitamins esp when I'm flaring.

One concern I have for recommending juicing alone is that if Crohn's is not completely suppressed, the ongoing inflammation can lead to colon cancer-which happened in my case, even though I was feeling well at the time.

So I would encourage everyone to get regular colonoscopies-every two years, just to be on the safe side and catch any changes early no matter which treatment you choose. I was fortunate and caught it in Stage 1 and went through the chemo.

Since I am going for my all clear next month I just thought I'd pass this on. Again thank you for all the information, I really appreciate the work you put in and I'm bookmarking this post for reference.

I WILL STAY STRONG
I WILL FIGHT
I WILL WIN

Current Meds: Cimzia, Methotrexate, Prevacid, Sertraline, Nortryptaline, Prednisone, Atenelol
10-17-2012, 01:28 AM   #69
Gianni

My Support Groups:
One concern I have for recommending juicing alone is that if Crohn's is not completely suppressed, the ongoing inflammation can lead to colon cancer-which happened in my case, even though I was feeling well at the time.
Well the hope with juicing is that you can strengthen your immune system so it can fight off the infection and with that your body will not need to use inflammation any longer to sanction off the infection. But yes you're right, if the inflammation is to far gone in severe cases, Juicing should not be considered as lone treatment as juicing isn't a rescue treatment.

I'm glad you caught the cancer early, and thank you for the post

Gianni
10-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #70
Mountaingem
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I've read this whole thread and I just have to say I really appreciate the respectful way you treat those who disagree with you, nice job keeping everything positive!
10-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #71
hugh

My Support Groups:
Personally, i don't think of juicing as a treatment for crohn's, A valuable part of a treatment regime - Definitely, but not a treatment on it's own.
I have seen evidence of various autoimmune disease remissions brought about by juicing fasts, but i believe this to be as much a result of not eating the causes (refer later on in this post).

“The Genetic link has been well established”
– Absolutely,
Genetics will give a predisposition. In this case the potential to develop Crohn's disease.
This potential will not be fulfilled without an interaction with environmental factors, in this case diet (and stress and smoking and antibiotics etc, but particularly diet)

“why doesn't everyone have crohns?”
- or cancer?, or lupus?, or acne?, or any other disease?, or all of them? - different genes AND exposure to triggers

“If only what we ate caused Crohns”
- nobody is suggesting this

“So there is a diet connection but to shun genetics is like saying evolution doesn't exist, it's bad science and it's dangerous”- no one is shunning genetics. You can't change your genes, but you can change the way they interact with the environment.
Nothing dangerous or 'bad sciencey' about that

Think of it like this . If you have blue paint (genes that predispose you to crohn's) and you mix it with yellow paint (environmental factors, in this case diet) then you end up with green paint (crohn's disease).
It doesn't matter how much blue paint you have to start with, You cannot get green paint without adding the yellow.
Other might be starting with red paint, mixing with yellow, and ending up with orange (Lupus, MS, diabetes),
Others might start with blue but are mixing it with red and getting purple.(?parkinsons, cancer,?)

Much recent research has also shown another factor, this is intestinal permeability, -think of it as the jar that you mix the paint in. If you have blue paint in one jar (genes in your body) and yellow paint out of the jar (trigger food in your intestines), you still won't get green paint until you mix them (intestinal permeability).

Wheat and Crohn’s Disease,
Dr. Fasano and colleagues suspected that the bacterial protein’s action must mimic some natural human protein which controls intestinal permeability. In 2000, they discovered this human protein and named it “zonulin.”
They subsequently showed that gliadin stimulates zonulin release. Gliadin binds to a receptor called CXCR3, and activation of this receptor triggers zonulin release and increased intestinal permeability.
Interestingly, zonulin release was much higher and longer-lasting in Crohn’s disease patients than in healthy patients. Restriction of gluten restores intestinal integrity in Crohn’s disease patients.
So Crohn’s disease patients should absolutely not eat wheat!”

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/10...s-i-leaky-gut/

Which is good news for us , to quote from:
Tight Junctions, Intestinal Permeability, and Autoimmunity Celiac
Disease and Type 1 Diabetes Paradigms

“This new theory implies that once the
autoimmune process is activated, it is not auto-perpetuating, but rather can be modulated or even reversed by preventing the continuous interplay between genes and environment.”
-
ie healing the gut, and reversing intestinal permiability, but you can wait for the drug or stop eating the cause of leaky gut – mainly gluten grains but others causes are listed here.....
http://crohnsdad.com/2012/06/05/fram...ns-strategies/

Love a good debate, but it's all just talk unless you follow it up with action

Last edited by hugh; 10-19-2012 at 10:53 PM.
10-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #72
Thermo

I feel like you skimmed past the majority of this thread especially the first page, Gianni has since clarified his stance and everyone is in agreement...
10-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #73
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Everyone is in agreement???
10-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #74
hugh

My Support Groups:
I feel like you skimmed past the majority of this thread especially the first page, Gianni has since clarified his stance and everyone is in agreement...
I have followed it from the beginning and have found it interesting, i just felt the need to add my two cents worth on the interaction between genetics and environment.
Diet has a profound effect on gene expression, on so many levels, trying to ignore the connection would be dangerous and 'bad sciency'

If I was feeling really picky I would also take issue with Gianni's comment about meat and metabolic acidosis, but only as so much that a diet balanced in meat and vegetables is unlikely to cause a problem, whereas a diet rich in grains and sugars will have a much more acidifying effect.
Theoretically an 'ultra-low' carb or zero carb diet may lead to metabolic acidosis but this hasn't been proven and is way beyond a normal paleo/SCD diet.
“These bigger fish include processed sugars, carbonated beverages, animal products, soy and sodium rich foods, and calcium supplements. “
So i'd say meat may be a small fish that usually gets lumped with the big fish without good cause, but once again , it's not a big issue to me, i'm happy if people do or don't eat meat. I'd put grains, vegetable (omega-6) oils, and antibiotics in the big fish list.

On diabetes.......
type II diabetes (where not enough insulin is produced) is more common than type I (where the pancreas does not produce insulin) and can in most cases be managed by a healthy diet (if your idea of healthy avoids grains and sugars) . Low carb diets have been demonstrated to improve blood glucose levels and improve insulin sensitivity. Whether they work because they are low carb or because they avoid certain carbs (grain and sugar) is not proven yet.

A low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet to treat type 2 diabetes (one of dozens of similar studies)
"The LCKD improved glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes such that diabetes medications were discontinued or reduced in most participants."
http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/34

“Now if you said that you think our mutated genes (That have been proven mind you) thrive off our diet today and that's what causes it to be such a problem more so than the past, I would be right there with you nodding my head.”
I think that while there are genetic mutations they are a completely different type and category of diseases.
The amazing rise in the incidence of auto-immune and immune- deficient diseases far outstrips genetic changes, and is far more likely related to environmental (dietary and other) factors caused by a huge rise in intestinal permeability and toxic food than any change in genes! and that's not just my opinion.

“This mismatch between our ancient physiology and the western diet and lifestyle underlies many so-called diseases of civilization, including coronary heart disease, obesity, hypertension, type 2 diabetes, epithelial cell cancers, autoimmune disease, and osteoporosis, which are rare or virtually absent in hunter–gatherers and other non-westernized populations.” Cordain et al.

"Anthropological and epidemiological studies and studies at the molecular level indicate that human beings evolved on a diet with a ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 essential fatty acids (EFA) of ~1 whereas in Western diets the ratio is 15/1 to 16.7/1. A high omega-6/omega-3 ratio, as is found in today’s Western diets, promotes the pathogenesis of many diseases, including cardiovascular disease, cancer, osteoporosis, and inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, whereas increased levels of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) (a lower omega-6/omega-3 ratio), exert suppressive effects. A.P. Simopoulos

Last edited by hugh; 10-21-2012 at 09:47 PM.
10-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #75
Gianni

My Support Groups:
If I was feeling really picky I would also take issue with Gianni's comment about meat and metabolic acidosis, but only as so much that a diet balanced in meat and vegetables is unlikely to cause a problem,
Well there lies the problem. Most people don't have a balanced diet in meat and vegetables. People will allude that we are omnivores and we need meat, they are right but today people have a skewed look at the term omnivore. A plate of 70% meat 20% white potato and starches and 5-10% vegetables isn't exactly a balanced diet. Also i was more talking about all animals products including dairy. With such high volume of dairy I think it is a big fish to fry, but yes I agree that grains and sugars are too also big fish.
10-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #76
hugh

My Support Groups:
People will allude that we are omnivores and we need meat, they are right but today people have a skewed look at the term omnivore. A plate of 70% meat 20% white potato and starches and 5-10% vegetables isn't exactly a balanced diet.
I'd still disagree, but you might have worked out that i like disagreeing,
I think the statistics for the SAD (standard american diet) are more like 70% starch, 20% meat and trace elements of vegetable, so from my perspective 70% meat would be a huge improvement.

Having said that if someone is eating CAFO then the meat has a higher omega-6 ratio, and is loaded with antibiotics so less is probably better.

Having said that replacing the meat with any pulses and grains will increase your pesticide intake (did you know that they spray those crops to death just before harvesting to get a more uniform product - it's called desiccation) and also increase intestinal permeability.

I think we agree on the (other) big issues, but we could both argue all day about whether meat is a big issue or not
10-24-2012, 12:08 AM   #77
Gianni

My Support Groups:
yes we could
10-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #78
Gianni

My Support Groups:
10-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #79
Sandy A

My Support Groups:
Gianni, you ever seen the video "Fat, sick and nearly dead"? A juice fast video, quite good. The book "Crazy Sexy Diet" is pretty good too, discussing nutrition, juicing for health. Whenever I start to feel rundown, the first thing I do is try to drink fresh vegetable juice, get a wheat grass shot or two, and make sure I'm diligent with my vitamins. You have a lot of good points in your discussion....I need to be more diligent with my juicing. Its always better to drink it fresh rather than keep it for a bit, but thats better than not at all. Our juicer is one of those Norwalk juicers and its a lot of work! I also have been eating more healthy, mostly vegetarian for the last yr and a half, I know that crohns does not have a cure, but I think whatever we can do to enrich the environment in there can't hurt!
10-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #80
Gianni

My Support Groups:
The book "Crazy Sexy Diet" is pretty good too, discussing nutrition, juicing for health.
I have seen the documentary Fat sick and nearly dead, it's really good I haven't read the book, but I will look into it. Thanks.

Our juicer is one of those Norwalk juicers
!!!! Very nice! I would kill for that juicer I think it is the best one out there in quality of juice Take advantage of it!

I know that crohns does not have a cure
I guess we will have to disagree on this

Thanks for the post,

Gianni.
10-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #81
Kip1

Yes juicing is good and may help keep you in remission but it will not CURE crohns.

Please stop saying this as it may give people who have just learned they have this disease the wrong idea completly.

10-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #82
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I am saying that I BELIEVE nutrition can cure Crohn's. I am stating my opinions and beliefs and I am entitled to those just as you are to yours. I am not stating it as a fact.

Thank you for the post.

Gianni
10-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #83
Moe.

I'm with Gainna.
If you can eat organic like we should be, not with all these chemical compounds then yeah of course it's a cure.
You are the one poisoning yourself by eating junk, if crohn don't get you something else will.
10-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #84
Kip1

It can help if the fruits/veggies you use do not Irritate but currently there is no CURE only possible long term remission. Whether you believe you are cured or not the medical fact is as yet there is no cure only treatment whatever that may be.
You can have the diseased area removed & live Crohns free but it could creep back at any time. I hate saying this because of course we all wish we could get rid of it for good.
I know I had a very healthy diet from a very young age.
My Mum had crohns from being a teenager & had 2 resections. She was so ill at one time she nearly died. So although there was limited information out there many years ago about Crohns she made sure she had the best of what she could tolerate food wise at that time but she really made sure myself & brother had a good diet just in case of a genetic link (there are other relatives on mums side with other IBD).
Maybe that's why my Crohns wasn't found until I was in my late 30's.
10-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #85
Gianni

My Support Groups:
It can help if the fruits/veggies you use do not Irritate but currently there is no CURE only possible long term remission. Whether you believe you are cured or not the medical fact is as yet there is no cure only treatment whatever that may be.
The key here is "medical" fact. I do not represent anything medical and I don't trust the medical community as much as the average person. Of course juicing isn't "medical" so yes the "medical" fact is that this disease is incurable. But that doesn't mean everything non medical is automatically discredited. The medical community knows about medicine, that's it.

So when you say the the disease is incurable are you speaking for the medical community or your personal opinion on the nutrition?

I understand your concern about me "claiming" the disease is curable, but I'm not really even claiming it, I am claiming that I believe it is curable. I think this forum needs more progressive thinking and more alternative threads so by trying to have me suppress my opinions the forum becomes more one dimensional.

You may think that I am doing more harm than good as "it may give people who have just learned they have this disease the wrong idea completely." But I believe it gives people the right idea. Is your opinion any greater than mine? People have the power to make their own decisions and by including alternative treatments and out of the box ideas I think it gives people more options and many people are interested in alternative treatments.

I appreciate your desire to impart your knowledge on what you believe is right, but trying to discredit an alternative method by saying the "medical fact is the disease cannot be cured" is quite honestly a paradox. The whole reason why a treatment is alternative is because it doesn't fall in line with the medical community.

I know I had a very healthy diet from a very young age.
You had? Do you still have? What was the extent of your diet? Did you abandon a healthy diet as you grew up (went to college, lived on your own etc etc)?

Gianni
10-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #86
Kip1

Gianni there is currently no cure for Crohns disease or is my GI & surgeon wrong & all the Crohns & Colitis organisations wrong too.
You can be in to long term remission & maybe depending on the severity of the disease be able to live quite well without any drugs etc but sadly for everyone that's not always the case.

I still have a healthy diet. We as a family try to eat as healthy as we can but we do have the odd treat like everyone & apart from going out for drink with my friends between 18 & 19 years old (pregnant at 19 so rarely got to go out after that, sad I know lol) I never did anything that could damage my health eg smoking/drugs.

I could do with more exercise than I currently get but then so could a lot of us when real life takes over.

As far as I am concerned there was nothing at all in my diet that would cause any sort of ill health. I still do try to eat healthily now but since I had my resection I do have to limit fruit & vegetables in any form. I have found like Crabby said some salad Items going straight through.

Maybe Its different for people who have not had surgery. I had part of my ileum & caecum removed.

I am very disappointed that I could have developed duodenal Crohns too. I have been told to hold the juice/smoothies due to also having severe gastritis. Maybe after that has settled I can go back to the good stuff.

I have come to the conclusion now that its about making the right choices for yourself by how your body is behaving at the time.

I think my body is really misbehaving at the moment but I am hoping it wont be long before I am back on track again. I hate the low residue diet I have been placed on though & I cant wait till I can change it.

I am really pleased that you & some others on here are having such good results with juicing.

If it can keep some people in remission long term then I am all for it.
10-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #87
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Gianni there is currently no cure for Crohns disease or is my GI & surgeon wrong & all the Crohns & Colitis organisations wrong too.
You can be in to long term remission & maybe depending on the severity of the disease be able to live quite well without any drugs etc but sadly for everyone that's not always the case.
All I'm saying is the medical community knows about medicine, so for me I'm not going to ask my medical doctor about nutrition. I will ask a nutritionist when I want to know about nutrition. Medical doctors learn about medicine in med school and learn very little on nutrition.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/he...chen.html?_r=0

http://www.naturalnews.com/036702_do...atalities.html

Last year, a bill was introduced in California to mandate that physicians get continuing medical education in nutrition (see Nutrition Education Mandate Introduced for Doctors). Unbelievably, physician trade groups such as the California Medical Association came out in opposition to the bill, which would only require doctors to get a measly 7 hours of nutrition training anytime before 2017 (see Medical Associations Oppose Bill to Mandate Nutrition Training). Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/how...#ixzz28sHp37yh

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/4/941S.full

There are plenty of other sources. It's a pretty well known fact amongst the medical community and it's critics. Truth is, in undergrad they learn about the body, medical school they learn about medicine. Medicine, medicine and more medicine.

Gianni
The G.I. surgeon is right in his own regard. He is a surgeon, so naturally he learned about surgery.

All I'm suggesting is boosting health, it's really the only thing that hasn't been tried yet. Other people may be happy with the way this disease is being treated within the medical community, but I am not, in fact I am disturbed by it.

Obviously we can go back and forth all day, so I think we should just agree to disagree on this one.

Gianni
10-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #88
Sandy A

My Support Groups:
Gianni, I understand what you are saying....better nutrition made a huge difference for me, I just need to get more serious (drinking a juice from my norwalk as I type...carrots, beet, celery, kale, cucumber and lemon juice)...
10-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #89
Sandy A

My Support Groups:
Gianni, what is a typical day like for you...breakfast, lunch, dinner, juicing, protein? vitamins? Forgive me if you have already posted this somewhere.
10-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #90
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Gianni, what is a typical day like for you...breakfast, lunch, dinner, juicing, protein? vitamins? Forgive me if you have already posted this somewhere.
Breakfast is typically a fresh juice, or If I don't have time, a piece of fruit like a kiwi, pear, or apple. The juice will be have more fruit in it than I would typically do because I feel like fruit in the morning can you get energized for the rest of the day. Maybe a carrot, sweet potato, orange, apple juice.

Lunch is typically a large salad that will almost always include an avocado and balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Dinner is either another salad, or I will make a soup or I will experiment with a new recipe like a collard greens wrap, or spinach tortilla wrap. If I'm feeling real rewarding, I will have some vegan thai food.

You can look at my Juicing Recipes thread for more on what I juice.

I rarely take protein powder, although I do when I exercise a lot in a week. When I do it is hemp protein powder. Hemp is a complete protein and isn't dairy based like many of the protein out there. I believe if you are eating enough, you are getting enough protein, much like if you are breathing you are getting enough oxygen. I think society has become quite obsessed with protein.

The only vitamin I supplement is b-12 sublingual liquid vitamin. All the other vitamins I get from my food/juices.

I do take cold pressed flax seed oil supplement capsules as well to get my omega oils.

Gianni

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Juicing as a Viable Treatment option!