Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Community Juice Fast 11-10-12

11-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Community Juice Fast 11-10-12

Hey everyone. This is going to be the official thread where I post my videos and where the participants can post maybe a daily entry about what they are experiencing on a juice fast.

This thread really only relates to the participants of the Juice fast.

If you want to read about the juice fast click here.
If you want to read about juicing itself, click here.

I will be posting all the videos here:

Preparation Video:

Day number 1:
(I had to split the video into two because youtube doesn't allow videos to be over 10 minutes... the next segment will play immediately after the first one is done).

The other 2 Juices for Day one (for me) are:

2-3 carrots
4 Kale shoots
4 Romaine Lettuce Leaves
2 celery
2 beets
1 knob of ginger (top half of thumbs worth).
1 Apple

Next:

I really want you guys to make your own here, what do you think will taste good?

I will most likely do:

Green Godess:

1 maybe 2 (depends on size) Cucumber
2-3 shoots of Kale
1-2 Shoots of Chard
1 Granny Smith Apple
1 Peeled Lemon
1 Knob of Ginger (same thumb rule).

Day 2: Hey guys, couldn't make a video today (camerawoman M.I.A.) but I made a video on water kefir update from my laptop! Here it is:

Day 3:

For those participating, could you please post how many days you are doing, I just want to get an idea on how many videos I need to make.

Gianni

JUICING! click here!

Last edited by Gianni; 11-12-2012 at 12:15 AM.
11-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I'm off and running I just made a carrot and beet juice for brekky I dunno my throat has been killing me the last few days went to my GP he said it looks normal I can hardly swallow
11-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
Diary of a Beach Bum.

Thursday 8th Nov. 3am

I awoke suddenly from a confused dream, covered in sweat – a bad sign. This used to happen every night when I was poorly.
I have been having odd niggles all week and trying hard to ignore them, I can’t ignore this - it looks like I might be heading for a flare.
I realize the awful sounds my tummy is making woke me up, that and the feeling I call “the fish bowl”. It feels like bubbles are going through my small intestines, uncomfortable but not painful.
I roll into my best sleeping position, the only one I could lie in without pain when I was ill and start to count backwards, hoping that sleep will come soon.
It doesn’t.

Thursday 8th Nov. 8am

The alarm jars me from another strange dream and after a few false starts I drag myself out of bed. The dog looks at me sympathetically, wow I must be looking rough.
The image in the mirror is not good, the whites of my eyes have gone grey – another bad sign. My boss says he always knows when I am ill because of my eyes.
I find that just leaning against the sink while brushing my teeth hurts my stomach and resolve to start my prep today for the juice fast in a hope that it will stave off this flare.
“No crap today Missy,” I tell myself “Three square meals only.” Adding a finger wag for extra effect.
After taking my myriad of pills and supplements, I head down stairs for my usual breakfast of a nice big glass of juice.
One apple, one pear, a stick of celery and two carrots later, I feel better already.

Additional - Bed time.

I am feeling quite pleased with myself, I managed to go all day with just three main meals, no snacks, treats or puddings – except a peeled apple after my lunch. My tummy spent most of the day bubbling and gurgling but it is less tender already.
Phew.

Friday 9th Nov. 8am.

The alarm rudely wakes me from a pleasant dream, but I am pleased to note I feel much livelier when I get up. Eyeballs are still grey and I have a slight headache behind them but the gurgling tum seems to have calmed down a lot and is definitely less sore.
I give myself a big toothpasty smile in the mirror, now all I have to do is stay on track today and resist the sugary treats.
I start the day with a glass of juice as normal and make up my own sandwiches so I don’t have to go out to the van today, that thing is a mobile heaven laden with cakes and chocolate and uber hard to resist.

Additional – 00.46
Ok so I had a good day, ate my three square meals and resisted the treats…But..
I went to Sainsbury’s to get my juice fast supplies and saw Gu puddings were on sale oh ek - they seemed like a good “last meal” treat and my resolve crumbled.
Once I was in this mind set I felt that I should have a “last night of freedom” drink – several rum and cokes later I’m feeling kind of merry. But tomorrow is Juice day 1 and I am genuinely looking forward to it – well all the liquid will be a good hangover cure if nothing else.
Juicing every morning.
Taking vitamin D spray
Multi vits & iron
And Probio 7 probiotic.

Being given a "drugs rest" from Aza - 17/9/14
11-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Gianni

My Support Groups:
lol beach bum, good writing Good luck on day 1

That's strange Ozboz... is it like a soar throat hurt, or is it more of a physical muscle pain?

Gianni
11-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
yeah something like that I have this strange feeling of like when you squeeze a sponge and see the small bubbles coming out of it thats what I feel in there best way I can explain it hurts all the way down to my chest to swallow and my throat just hurts and I'm cold I took my temprature and so did he and it was perfect.
Maybe all the tramadol I take for my back pain is having an effect but i'm gonna have some more juice later stick to my fast
11-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
David
Co-Founder

I plan to do three days. But smoothies rather than straight juice. I'll be starting in the morning.

Thanks for setting all of this up Gianni.
11-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
Gianni

My Support Groups:
yeah something like that I have this strange feeling of like when you squeeze a sponge and see the small bubbles coming out of it thats what I feel in there best way I can explain it hurts all the way down to my chest to swallow and my throat just hurts and I'm cold I took my temprature and so did he and it was perfect.
Maybe all the tramadol I take for my back pain is having an effect but i'm gonna have some more juice later stick to my fast
Hmm, Sorry to hear that, that doesn't sound pleasant. Yeah, I would like it if you stuck to the fast but please just remain observant on how your body does over the fast. I'm sure you'll be fine

By the way, how long of a fast are you planning?
11-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #8
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I was going to do 7 days till next friday I ay have missed this but how do I introduce food after the fast I need to leave the house later when my parents start to cook it'll mess with me
11-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #9
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Day 1 - Evening of Friday, November 9th
Breakfast: a bean/chopped veggie medley
Lunch: a spinach and beet salad with mushrooms, shredded carrots, olives

I started my juicing tonight. My dinner was a 24oz. of juice from carrots, romaine lettuce, granny smith apple, adult spinach and cucumber...all organic.

BTW it cost me about $40 just to get the following organic veggies to last for three days:

2 bunches spinach
2 bunches kale
5 large cucumbers
8 (ridiculously) large carrots
9 green apples
1 head romaine lettuce

I already had a few apples, kiwi and kale left over from the week that I could use up am almost certain I will have to replenish the supply a bit towards the end of the fast but I also opted to buy a carton of unsweetened almond milk to ease any hunger pangs.
I tried sieving some of the foam out of the juice to reduce the bloating/burping effect.

***forgot to mention, I started the day out with some mild sinus pressure, mild headache and mild eye/ear pain that came and went throughout the day but overall my day was tolerable. I think I am coming down with a cold of sorts. I am hoping the juice fast will help me with this.

My gut pain has been more of a periodic dull pain that typically comes about if I eat too much bad stuff. Haven't really had an issue with it since I started to cleanse my diet Wednesday. But I think the headaches/sinus pressure could also be a symptom of starting to clean out the bad stuff I shouldn't have been eating.
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

Last edited by CrohnsChicago; 11-09-2012 at 10:27 PM.
11-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #10
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Day 1:

Feeling good. Had 3 Juices... drinking a strong beet juice right now amongst other things.
Each time before I do a juice fast I always tell myself that I can easily overcome the first night's hunger and it is no big deal... then when it actually comes... its oh so different. I am so hungry! Keeping my mind preoccupied with sports center and this forum. Was invited out with friends tonight but I don't think the temptations would be good for me.

What I'm really looking to accomplish in the juice fast is detoxing my body and also improving my vision. I've been staring at a computer screen lately which utilizes about 10x more Vitamin A than would staring at a book. I have good vision but I have been noticing I need to use my glasses after reading for awhile or when on the computer (which I haven't had to do in ages).

I'm already looking forward to my better tasting juice in the morning !
11-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #11
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I ay have missed this but how do I introduce food after the fast
Great to hear you are gonna try for 7, way to challenge yourself!

In the first video I mention that the prep is basically the same as the after the fast diet. Eat real food, have a soup maybe as your first meal after... then have some salads... and then work in some soft meat like fish or chicken. But the key here is REAL food... no processed stuff. Also again limit caffeine immediately after.

Gianni
11-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #12
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Salads are a nono I can't tolerate fresh veg at this point in time maybe some veggie mashes will be good or avacado.
11-10-2012, 04:36 AM   #13
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Day 1

3 juices today starving have a headache a feel irritable snapped at my dad for taking my car.
Still have this throat thing and hard to swallow and its in my chest now feels weird scared might have a abscess or something going for CT scan monday but they want me to drink contrast or whatever that stuff is will it be ok on a fast
11-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
Gianni

My Support Groups:
really no cause that stuff is a chemical nightmare but obviously you need to have it done so monitor how you are feeling before and after and decide whether you want to continue on the fast then.

Gianni
11-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #15
Miss Spencer

Day 1 3 juices today starving have a headache a feel irritable snapped at my dad for taking my car.
You poor thing but hang in there it will get better. Of course it could be something else entirely but headache and irritableness sound like classic detox symptoms. I do a juice fast every year and my detox normally lasts around 5 days and I run the gauntlet from headaches to irritableness to depression to crying and mood swings to aches and pains to hunger pangs to foggy head to hangover like feelings to exhaustion to flu symptoms, before I start to feel better. During that period I try to conserve energy by resting, sleeping and relaxing as much as possible. I experienced detox this time round too although this time I am not doing a proper fast. On day 7 I started to regain so much clarity, vitality and energy that I joined a gym and have been gently working out every day since.

I am on Day 22 of a semi- fast. I had a flare up 3 weeks ago due to overindulging in Turkish chicken and cheese wheat gözlemes, ice-cream and alcohol. I also had some gluten-free muffins especially made for IBS/IBD sufferers and ironically I think the almond meal or buckwheat flour used in it irritated me. My doctor said afterwards that some people with C&UC cannot tolerate any grains including gluten-free ones. I may have got away with it in other circumstances but a few weeks prior to that I had caught a bout of Gastro and I think this indulgence pushed me over the edge with an already weakened not quite recovered immune system from the Gastro experience. I have had bowel bleeding for the first time in absolutely years.

A semi-fast involves mostly mainly a liquid diet: strained vegetable juices, pure water, healing herbal teas and strained vegetable broths, and a selection of gut friendly supplements. Plus I have been having a sweet ripe soft fruit like a banana every day either whole or in smoothie. I have done proper juice fasts in the past to help with flares but didn’t feel like doing it this time. I also want to have a guaranteed bowel movement every day so I can check for formation, mucous and blood. All sounds pretty vile but when my BMs start looking healthy again I know I am on the mend. This actually occurred on Day 19.

But yesterday I decided to try some soft cooked food to see if I could tolerate it. Plain mashed sweet potato, plain mashed white potato, mashed avocado and steamed spinach. I have read that people with C&UC should avoid white potato and I have had issues with it in the past. But I really like it so thought what the heck. Well looks like I have set myself back 20 days with the pain, blood, mucous and diharrea that I experienced last night. So for me it is back to the semi-fast for another 20 plus days. I am thinking instead of fruit I may have some chia seed gel every day instead, as it normally works better and faster than the fruit. It will do the same thing as the fruit but won’t taste as nice.

If you have never done a fast before then I do suggest starting off slowly, rather than going gung-ho into a strict 60 day fast like Joe Cross from the doco Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead did. It was an inspiring film but I think you should build up to 60 days slowly. I started off with 1 day fasts, and then I increased to 2 days, then 3 days, then 4 days and so on. Longest I have ever done is a strict 20 days but I built up to that slowly. Anyway that is just my personal opinion maybe others here have had different experiences.

Hey I see you are in Victoria. My sister lives in Queensland and when I was visiting her in 2011 we were looking into a retreat in Hepburn Springs Victoria that was offering week long juice fast retreats. Also if you need assistance with juicing there is a Melbourne online company called Schkinny who run a juice detox program where they deliver. I looked at it previously when visiting Melbourne as a way to have fresh juice every day as the backpackers hostel I was staying in did not have a juicer, but it worked out too expensive for my budget. But maybe you could do it for a week with them to get you on the right path, and then follow on yourself at home.
11-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #16
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
Diary of a Beach Bum

So here we are - Juice Fast day One (of Five).

A few facts may be appropriate at this point.
Stomach still gurgling for England, but not exactly sore, eyes slightly grey (and blurry from the drink).
Toilet habit situation - normal (what I would refer to as code green) although maybe a little gassy with some odor – probly not exactly helped by the rum.
Weight - 9 and a half stone give or take (I’m not doing this to loose weight but it seems an interesting stat).
Generally not feeling too bad, some stiffness in my neck and back, which I hope the fast and a bit of yoga will see off.

Saturday 10th Nov. 8am.

Feeling a little delicate this morning, so I decide to stick to what I know for my first breakfast juice.
An apple
A pear
A stick of celery
Two big carrots
A big chunk of cucumber
And for fun I throw in what is left of a lime that I cut up for last nights spiced rum shenanigans. As usual I give the dogs my leftovers, the fiber seems to do them good and makes them less “smelly” - not sure they are thrilled with the limeyness of this mornings offering. I will have to remember to keep my juices simple at breakfast and dinner time when I feed them and hopefully get creative in between when the doings will go in the composter.
I am planning to have four meals today – breakfast, brunch, late lunch and dinner. I think I will try the sweet potato recipe for brunch as I have never juiced a potato before and I am quite intrigued. I will update on how I fare later.

Brunch & Lunch.
Ok so the red head recipe is a great success, I really like the sweet potato it adds a bit of thickness so it feels more like a meal. This was especially welcome as I was cooking bacon and sausages for my husband while I drank it - this was nearly the fastest fast ever.
In fact it was such a success that I decided to have the same for late lunch. I also had a nice big mug of red bush tea (naturally caffeine free). I am actually not hungry or missing food as such, which is a nice surprise, but I’m missing hot things already, so the tea was needed.
Weirdly what I am missing is the act of cooking itself. As I work all week I tend to enjoy spending time cooking interesting meals at the weekend and maybe doing a bit of baking, but not today obviously.

Dinner.

Happily I am still not feeling overly hungry so I decided to have something interesting for dinner, rather than worrying about filling up.
I try out The Popeye:

1 large handful of spinach
1/4 of a medium pineapple (peeled)
1 apple
1 inch slice of lemon
All over ice.

Wow it is amazing, yum, yum, yum.
So that’s it no more juice for today, though I might have a tea or two yet and so far so good. Fingers crossed this continues into tomorrow – I should be so lucky.
11-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #17
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'm going to update this at the end of the day but just wanted to get it out there while it was still on my mind.

SATURDAY 11/10/12 (day 1.25 of fast)
9:30am
Breakfast:
18oz.
spinach, kale, green apple, large carrot, ginger root, cucumber

**After I finished my drink, my mind naturally went to "now, what do I want to eat for breakfast?..."

The ginger root was a good addition but stronger than I had anticipated it to be. It cleared up my sinuses as I drank it and even made my eyes water a tiny bit. But overall the drink was good. Sent me to the bathroom (as ginger usually does, in a good way).

Drank 1 lg glass of water

12:00pm: I went for a 30min stroll to the thrift store in the afternoon to occupy my mind, get some fresh air. Made it home before the thunderstorm

Got home, one of my house guests came in enthusiastically holding a fridge-keg he just bought, a handle of rum and telling me of their plan to drink at my house this evening, then the other proceeded to re-heat his restaurant food for lunch and eat it within eye shot.
I did my best to keep my composure and politely ask them to adjust their behavior around me....Inside I wanted to just kick them to the curb while I go through this.

Cleaned a tiny bit and played some online games.

Noticed some quick sharp pains in the center and left side of my lower gut. They went away after a minute or two. Will keep an eye on this. The stabbing pains are usually not a good thing for me. If they continue, I will likely stop this fast for fear of aggrivating/triggering something.

1 lg. glass of water

Body naturally wanting to grab food/snack when I walk anywhere in the kitchen. Conditioning myself to just look over that stuff by reminding myself of why I am doing this (to detox and give my digestive system a break and take in nutrients that I am very certain I am not getting enough of during normal digestive processes).

4:30pm
Lunch:
24oz.
romaine lettuce, spinach, green apple, large carrot, cucumber, kiwi

1 lg. glass of water

Walked to the kitchen to clean my veggies for dinner later. Saw a small packet of soup crackers one of my guests left on the counter. I thought to myself "man, those crackers would be SOOOOO delicious right about now..."

Pains in gut have subsided. My body has eliminated much of what it needed to. Sinus headaches of yesterday seem to have disappeared.

Feeling cigarette cravings coming on (I typically have the urge when I feel I am under some sort of stress).

***UPDATE***
8:30pm
Planned Dinner:

sweet potato, kale, green apple, large carrot, cucumber, ginger root

Had a friend visit during "dinner time". Kept me company playing games and we tried some stretching and yoga poses together. It was quite hilarious! My "roommates" decided to leave for the evening to give me some peace. That was thoughtful of them.

Pretty cleaned out with regards to the bathroom situation after 1 full day of doing this. Sinuses are opening up and sinus head/ear/eye aches from yesterday still gone.

1 lg. hot decaf green tea (plain) and one 1lg glass of water

12:10am (Sunday)
Quick pains on both sides of abdomen beginning. Going to go to bed and see if I can sleep it off.

Last edited by CrohnsChicago; 11-11-2012 at 01:13 AM.
11-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #18
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Loving the entries guys!

I love how you guys are all creating your own juices, and deciding what works for you!

I'll probably do 3 days of videos only, seeing as you guys seem to have it under control!
11-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #19
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Miss spencer thanks for the advice I'm going to hepburn springs with my family for new year's for a few days gonna do some mineral baths.

Also on that juice compan its a good thouht but I own a good juicer and i'm not earning anything at all I'm on a pension lucky I live at home and my parents are wonderfull people that help me where they can but still that company is crazy expensive and I buy as much organic as I can and my mum is doing the juice fast with me for support and cause she wants to detox and loose some weight.
11-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #20
Gianni

My Support Groups:
My cameraman roommate is M.I.A, may not have a video for you today
11-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #21
David
Co-Founder

I apologize but the juice fast didn't quite materialize for me today for various reasons. I'll start tomorrow
11-11-2012, 12:39 AM   #22
Jennifer
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
My cameraman roommate is M.I.A, may not have a video for you today
Tripod and edit. And yes I am watching even though I'm not doing it.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
11-11-2012, 01:34 AM   #23
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I don't have a tripod but I did try to make a makeshift one... it didn't work out that well ! Good news is everyone seems to be getting along the fast just fine... I will have a video tomorrow for sure!

Gianni
11-11-2012, 03:14 AM   #24
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Made a video update on water kefir.. find it on the first post
11-11-2012, 03:24 AM   #25
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
day-2
Only 2 juices today but bout 16oz in total I still have this sore throat and even hard to burp also whole mouth is sore and tender got CT scan tomorrow they want me to drink tat awfull stuff see how I go.

Felt a bit of nausea today had bit of stool still and have mucus very runny nose think the cold/flu symptoms associated with detox are starting also had sore guts and pain before BM feel tired and bit spaced out but think its all to do with detox see what the next day brings
11-11-2012, 03:33 AM   #26
Gianni

My Support Groups:
16oz total for both juices 8oz ea? I would love to see at least 35oz of juice drank a day.

Sounds like detox, although you shouldn't feel spaced out if you are having enough juice. Try taking a light stroll, if you don't see any improvement tomorrow we should discuss whether you want to go forward.

Gianni
11-11-2012, 04:54 AM   #27
Ozboz

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Yeah only managed that amount due too the nausea

I went out for a bit and felt better after
11-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #28
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
I am on about 70 ounces a day..is this too much?
perhaps that is why I am not feeling hungry
11-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #29
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I am on about 70 ounces a day..is this too much?
perhaps that is why I am not feeling hungry
I'm drinking 66 oz. a day and it helps because I think it is reducing the intensity of the hunger. I have thoughts of hunger, but my stomach feels like it has been reasonably satisfied. I haven't even reached for my almond milk yet for emergencies.

I have only been drinking the juices, a large glass of water in between and some hot decaf green tea when I want something soothing/relaxing
11-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #30
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
Yes I am really not that hungry either, but now you have mentioned it I could murder a nice big tea. I drink Red bush anyway so I haven't ad any caffeine withdrawal to worry about.
I could be in trouble in a bit though, Hubby has gone down stairs to cook himself something nice

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Community Juice Fast 11-10-12