Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » Im a believer in herbs now! Herbs that helped me

11-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
rlslmshdy

Im a believer in herbs now! Herbs that helped me

Hello this is my first post although Ive lurked on the site for about a year. I guess I should start with my history. I was diagnosed with crohns 12 years ago. I had the initial flare resulting in a week stay in the hospital. I went thru the basic drugs prednisone, imuran, entocort, etc. Those really didnt help. I eventually ended up going for emergency surgery removing 12 inches of intestines. I got down to 116lbs. @ 5'9". After the surgery I went on Remicade. I went into remission. That brings me to this year. Well really starting last October I started into another flare up. My weight was 160lbs. Ok by May of 2012 I was almost at bottom. My weight was down to 135lbs. Fatigue was killing me I couldnt hardly work my job much less go to gym. I felt like Remicade would help but the side effects and costs just wasnt worth it. So my theory was this. If remicade worked by lowering tnf alpha. I would research herbs that lowered tnf-alpha. So I looked those herbs up and gave them a try. Well I still cant believe it but it has helped. My weight is up to 155lbs. Even more incredible is how much my fatigue had improved. I feel like going to the gym. I still have diarrheah but probably cut in half. I think im back in remission. I know everyones disease is different so results may be different for others. I just felt my results were so good the herbs I tried were definitely worth listing.
Here they are:
CLA
Marshmallow Root
Turmeric Root 95% CURCUMIN
Cats Claw
Quercetin
Boswellia
Boron Chelate
Ginger Root
CoQ-10
Stinging Nettle Leaf
Ashwagandha
FishSMART Ultra enteric coated softgels
vitamin D3 5000ius
Vitamin b12
Im still amazed at my improvement. I wasnt really a believer in herbs but I am now. I feel i should add that these are the only things Im taking. Im not on any prescription meds for crohns. I hope you guys can benefit from this info.
11-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks so much for all the info. We also are believers of herbs and such. Have been for years.
My family and I are on what's called clean eating diet. To sum it up, it's organic eating with a few rules. We've notice such a change in ALL of us. My Grace is still having issues but this diet is still great for her health.

So let me ask what everyone is thinking! Are you still under a GI care and having regular check ups?
dx Juvenile Arthritis
(12/13/13)
dx Erthema Nodosum
(8/13/14)
Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction
(10/14/13)
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome dx (1/26/17)
Remicade started on (9/8/14)Every 4 wks
Azathroprine started on 10/9/15
EN/EEN- since (1/12/13)
Past Meds- LDN, Humira, Pred, MTX, Sulfasalazine
11-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
rlslmshdy

Im not seeing my gi but I see an integrative medicine Dr. once a month. I also forgot to add Im also taking Garden of Life Raw Probiotics for men.
11-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hey we take those same probiotics also. Love them!

Now excuse my dumbness when I ask you what a interrogative medicine doctor is?
11-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
rlslmshdy

An intergrative dr. combines conventional methods with proven alternative medicine. I guess a good example was my doctors willingness to try LDN. I dont think my GI would have been willing to try it.
11-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Wow, that's great about the LDN.
I guess that's what my doc is called. I just never new the name for him before.
My doc is retiring soon. He's the only one in are area that does this. SAD!

I hope all goes well for you.
Please look around the forum. Lots of people do different treatments (Diet or Meds) for their IBD.
Perhaps you could add too or gain some new insight.
11-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
D Bergy

Thanks for the helpful information.

I also noticed that when I take half of my normal amount of curcumin, ginger, and astaxanthin I have hip pain that I do not otherwise have

For pain related to inflammation, you really cannot find anything safer or more effective than the many helpful herbs that are readily available.

Dan
11-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
wildbill_52280

so are you using all of these at once?
thing is, how do we know which one is helping or not? any clues?
i recall some research that suggested CLA could be good for ibd.

glad these are helping you.
11-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #9
rlslmshdy

so are you using all of these at once?
thing is, how do we know which one is helping or not? any clues?
i recall some research that suggested CLA could be good for ibd.

glad these are helping you.
I am taking all these at once. Your right I cant really say which ones are providing the most benefits. At the time my goal was to lower inflammation as quick as possible which Ithink the combination did. If I found a study that linked an herb to lowering tnf alpha thats one I would use.
11-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
Guest9283

Very interesting. Great job of taking the initiative and trying something totally new! Such simple ingredients, I wish more people would try it and report back... Seems like you and Bergy are on to something.
11-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #11
Avery

My Support Groups:
I have also used many of the herbs or natural medicines that 'rlslmshdy" listed above since 1991. I also do not use prescription medications because I didn't like feeling sick from them on top of being sick from the Crohns. I basically did something similar to "rlslmshdy" by trying many natural proven anti-inflammatories. The information I got from a book called:
" Prescription for nutritional Healing". It has specific reccommendations for Crohns disease & that is what I have been using since 1991.

My current list includes:
L-Glutamine
Digestive Enzyme with Duodenal Glandular / Liver extract
Aloe Vera Gel (anti-inflammatory)
Evening Primrose Oil
Boswellia (anti-inflammatory)
Vit D3
Good Multi-vitamin
Lecithin
Healthy eating= NO milk - I use Almond Milk instead

The web has some limited info on Crohns studies & natural medicines. Here is an interesting link with information.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/34...s-for-colitis/

A natural approach really does work, but it does take discipline. Keep in mind that there is no cure for Crohns but you can keep it under control for the most part without prescription meds. There is so much more info in the book.
11-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #12
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
One thing that caught my eye from Avery's list is Aloe Vera Gel. My girl and I use this and WOW what a different for me. Grace hasn't shown much change but she just started it a week ago, so I'm still hoping.
11-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #13
daniel74z

Excellent list - thanks for sharing it!
11-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #14
Avery

My Support Groups:
Turmeric that 'rlslmshdy" listed
I also get from eating Curry a few times a month. My daughter uses the turmeric caps. There have been many studies on turmeric and Digestive disorders that look promising.
11-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #15
PhoenixBird

My Support Groups:
I'm curious to know whether anyone has tried Slippery Elm powder? It is usually mixed with water and drunk and I believe has a similar effect to Aloe Vera juice.
Meds: Tried and failed on: Pred, Azathioprine, Cyclosporin, MP6. Not ready yet to try methotrexate. Currently on Pentasa, Pentasa enemas, colifoam, imodium, suppositories, B12 injections, Vitamin D and probiotics. Starting Remicade August 2013.
Surgery: Appendectomy March 2013.
11-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #16
muppet

While herbals can definitely work for some people I'd be a little leery of claims that herbals have removed your need for meds. We all know that Crohn's can be cyclical and can also sometimes go into unexplained and extended remission (I had one for 7 years), which complicates self trials with a sample size of one...

Stay vigilant out there and don't take yourself off of meds that are working unless the side effects are literally killing you...
11-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #17
bangarang

Congrats, nice to see someone else appreciative of herbs.
11-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #18
Avery

My Support Groups:
Muppet I appreciate your comment, though again I will mention that I have not used ANY PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS since 1991. My crohns is not cured, but I have MAINTAINED CROHNS WITHOUT PRESCRIPTIONS. I still have symptoms at times but they are usually minor. I have gone up to 1yr to 2 yrs without a major flareup. Herbs are only a part of my treatment. Food is probably the most important treatment for Crohns. Supplements are another very important treatment since our intestines dont absorb all the nutrients from the foods we eat. It is not as easy as taking some prescription pills. It takes much more effort and it is not easy & eating the right foods takes discipline, but it is attainable. I am able to do it & so have others. Of course if someone is on a prescription they should not just stop it abruptly, since they might have a flareup. They should learn about natural treatments first and then start applying some of it & see how they feel. The book I mentioned is what I base my treatments on since 1991.
" Prescription For Nutritional Healing ". I can tell you from my experience these past 20 yrs that I have no regrets going natural.
11-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #19
muppet

You can't maintain a Crohn's remission with herbals. It's fantasy. Sorry. No well corroborated study supports this.

I'm glad you've had such a long remission, and maybe your condition is just mild which is also a godsend, but preaching to people that they should go off their meds even gradually in pursuit of this nonsense is irresponsible.

I agree that diet is a major component and that a remission can even be maintained with diet, to a point. For some longer than others, and for a very rare few maybe indefinitely.

If you want to advocate for this sort of thing, you should post peer reviewed study, not self help books, as sources.
11-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #20
Avery

My Support Groups:
Muppet, My condition has remained relatively mild because of a natural approach. I still have symptoms from time to time & thats when I stup up the treatments, as I said it is not easy. There are studies that have been done on many of the treatments I mentioned. I didnt invent these treatments myself, I learned them from someone else (Experts). If you only listen to a Medical Doctor you probably will never hear anything about natural treatments. Doctors are not trained in nutritional healing. They get more income from prescribing medications, which has helped many people to some degree. Natural Medicine is not a fantasy, you should be more open minded.
11-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #21
muppet

There are no well corroborated, peer-reviewed studies that support herbal remedies for Crohn's in isolation and very few small studies that even address using them to supplement medications. The most widely available sources for these remedies are self help books written by gurus and people who want to sell self help books.

Desperate people come here trying to save their children, and muddying the water by trying to conflate self help guru mumbo jumbo with research is irresponsible.

Saying that medical doctors are not trained in nutrition or aware of nutritional healing is utter nonsense. There are lousy gastro docs and excellent gastro docs just as with any other profession. Accusing doctors of profiteering by prescribing medications... wow. Not my doctors. Maybe yours.
11-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #22
Avery

My Support Groups:
Muppet The Book " Prescription For Nutritional Healing "
is co-written by an Medical Doctor, Dr. James F. Balch. and his late wife a Nutritionist, Phyllis A. Balch. The Book uses conventional medicine along with alternative medicine. I chose to only use the Alternative side. Of course MDs are aware of nutrition, but how many actually recommend it & actually know enough about nutrition. Most MDs prescribe synthetic medications, not recommend nutrition or nutritional medicine, as a complementary treatment.
11-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #23
muppet

A book by a doctor is not a peer reviewed piece of science. Its some guy's relatively unexamined opinion. To hold it up as a cited source is a logically fallacious appeal to authority unless the authors themselves reference vetted research for all of their claims.
11-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #24
clwisehart

As an alternative practitioner and clinical hypnotherapist, who has worked with medical doctors (who believe in alternative therapies) I must say that a REAL reason that ANY therapy works is that the patient/client believes in the therapy. So, Muppet, if you think alternative therapies hold no water, they will not...ever! (And that is perfectly okay.) However, if Avery believes in alternative therapies, they will have a better chance of being effective in his body. Since all healing is affected by our thoughts and our stress levels (or lack thereof) if a therapy causes more stress, it will aggravate our disease. I have worked with clients who did wonderfully on herbal and homeopathic therapies. Others only got results from pharmaceutical therapies. Others have done amazingly well (and achieved remission) through hypnotherapy and meditation practices ONLY. It is a, completely, individualistic issue. Please don't allow another's opinions to create more stress in your life...it only exacerbates the symptoms.
Just so you know, I am a new member...joined because my son was, recently, diagnosed with Crohn's and, although I have worked with it in clients, it has become a little more personal and I am hoping to learn more from each of you...while, at the same time, sharing what I have learned.
11-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #25
muppet

Placebo is very powerful but it won't heal your crohns. You devalue the efforts of doctors and researchers everywhere, to the community's detriment, when you push nonsense like this. Yes, some herbs are medicinal and positive thought is very therapeutic but no, none of it is as effective as a proper medical and dietary regimen and most of it has not even been proven to work even slightly.

After 3 decades' experience with Crohn's, I've no more patience for snake oil or superstition, especially not when offered as advice to people who are still coming to grips with Crohns and trying to learn.

There is no herbal remedy in the world that rivals medical treatment of Crohns and anybody who says otherwise is selling you something.
11-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #26
clwisehart

I agree that there is NO therapy that works better, when Crohn's is in full flare, than the pharmaceutical therapies and diet. It is, as you know, difficult at best, to bring it under control. But once under control, a Crohn's patient has a right to seek something that works best for THEM.

Muppet, I cannot, by any means, have the knowledge or experience with Crohn's that you have...not only in yourself, but with your daughter. I am so sorry that you have experienced that. However, because you have no patience for "snake oil" and, therefore, strongly advise others not to try it..to me, is just as irresponsible as you think I might be. I have, in my 18 years of service, seen incredible results with alternative therapies in Crohn's and IBS. I am not selling anything. I am just sharing my experiences in hopes that it might help others who are hoping for a way to deal with this disease without the unfortunate side affects (which you are strongly aware of) of the pharmaceuticals. I respect your opinion. I hope you can have the foresight to respect others' opinions, too.

Another thing that you might be aware of is that ALL pharmaceuticals come from some sort of herb. In fact, over 95% of pharmaceuticals come from something that is grown here, in the Appalachian Mountains of NC (it is a big income producer for this state.) One reason that pharmaceutical companies do not want us to look at herbs is that they can change, add or take away from the chemical constituents of an herb, package them and sell them for BIG money. It is a fact that pharmaceuticals are approved if they work for (at least) 40% of a population. That means that up to 60% of that population will get no effect, or a negative effect, from that drug. That is considered acceptable by the FDA. The herb, itself, can have the same results and the FDA will not approve it for a drug treatment BECAUSE it is not "standardized." If you would like to know more, review the FDA protocols for drug approvals. There is more to this than you might be aware of. I have worked with physicians for years and I have a healthy respect for, both, allopathic and alternative treatments....they BOTH have their place.

Last edited by clwisehart; 11-14-2012 at 07:43 PM.
11-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #27
D Bergy

I am not aware of any study that proves there are no herbal remedies that rivals medical treatment of Crohns. Could you provide some info on this?

Thank you

Dan
11-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #28
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
There isn't a one size fits all treatment with Crohn's. Just because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean it isn't going to be useful for someone else. I know desperate people come here seeking answers... no matter how mild or how serious the condition when you are sick and you want answers it's good to have a wealth of information at your fingertips. The path you choose should be chosen carefully and wisely. Some people may be at a point where they feel taking biologics would be like throwing napalm at a simple bug bite. Some people may be at a point where biologics are the clear answer and just need more information. Either way, the alternative therapies that some people use as a sole treatment would greatly benefit people on most medications as supplemental therapy. The main hope I have is that people incorporating alternative therapies with mainstream therapies would have the common sense to investigate whether or not there are negative interactions among whatever it is they are taking.

I'm glad there is so much information on a wide variety of treatments here on Crohn's forum. It promotes critical thinking and curiosity... for me, at least. I wouldn't be here otherwise.
11-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #29
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Saying that medical doctors are not trained in nutrition or aware of nutritional healing is utter nonsense.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/he...chen.html?_r=0

http://www.naturalnews.com/036702_do...atalities.html

Last year, a bill was introduced in California to mandate that physicians get continuing medical education in nutrition (see Nutrition Education Mandate Introduced for Doctors). Unbelievably, physician trade groups such as the California Medical Association came out in opposition to the bill, which would only require doctors to get a measly 7 hours of nutrition training anytime before 2017 (see Medical Associations Oppose Bill to Mandate Nutrition Training). Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/how...#ixzz28sHp37yh

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/83/4/941S.full

There are plenty of other sources. It's a pretty well known fact amongst the medical community and it's critics. Truth is, in undergrad they learn about the body, medical school they learn about medicine. Medicine, medicine and more medicine.

Gianni

Yes, some herbs are medicinal and positive thought is very therapeutic but no, none of it is as effective as a proper medical and dietary regimen and most of it has not even been proven to work even slightly.

After 3 decades' experience with Crohn's, I've no more patience for snake oil or superstition, especially not when offered as advice to people who are still coming to grips with Crohns and trying to learn.

There is no herbal remedy in the world that rivals medical treatment of Crohns and anybody who says otherwise is selling you something.
But pharmaceuticals aren't selling you something?

I believe that nutrition alone can treat crohn's much more effectively than modern medicine, now am I the one selling nutrition?

These medical journals that hold all these peer reviewed studies are all funded by the pharmaceuticals... go ahead open a medical journal and flip through the pages and see just about every advertisement slot taken up by pharmaceuticals. They have an obligation to the pharmaceuticals to report studies that were done by the pharmaceuticals themselves and also reject any studies that would contradict with modern medicine. This is perfectly understandable seeing as medical journals need to make money and pharmaceuticals have a duty to their share holders... what isn't acceptable is misinforming the public on such matters.

To better understand my disease, I didn't ask the doctors that were treating sick patients... no, I searched out the individuals that were living a healthy life even with the disease and didn't need doctors. What I discovered was extraordinary and even more extraordinary were the results I experienced after integrating much of the knowledge I learned from these individuals.

I can tell you haven't researched much on the matter seeing as some modern medicines are derived from herbs themselves but they simply isolate the beneficial component and then preserve it and surround it with half a dozen chemicals. I think in those cases it can be proven that the herb itself would be much more beneficial.

You need to broaden your horizons and just because something isn't on the front cover of Time magazine doesn't mean it holds no merit.

Common sense is far too overlooked in the medical field and much too rare. The common sense that human health has evolved on nutriton and these herbs... Common sense that a 150 year invention that is drugs, makes absolutely no sense for long term health but rather a quick fix. Common sense that doctors do not out smart mother nature but oh how they try. Common sense that we don't know the half about what the human body is capable of.

Had to quote you again here...

I urge you to go to forbes top 500 grossing companies and browse through the top 100 and count how many pharmaceuticals are on there before you make a pass at a money grubbing alternative health Industry.

As for your studies you were looking for... have a browse through the Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine unless you think they are money grubbers, but then again they have 40 years of articles all for free on the website... interesting.

Gianni

JUICING! click here!
11-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #30
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
This is so great that we can come hear a debate things such as these.

So I will add my my two cents. Keep in mind, my daughter is undiagnosed but has something. So I speak as a mother!

We (my family) are HUGE believers in natural remedies.
My doc is a homeopathic doctor that willing give mainstream meds if need be.
He always give the options and tells us the pro and cons to each. There are times when he puts us on reg. meds because he see's that this need to be "fixed" right away.

Now with that said!!! Some have asked to show studies stating the results of their findings of herbs and such that have healing powers. Well my ulcer flares up and I take Aloe Vera Gel and the pain is gone. I never once CARED if it was in a medical journal or what some big overpriced Doctor said about it. It work ed for ME!!!

Think about this simple fact.
How long has man been here????
How long have we had these drug companies and their medicine that they put out????

You'll find that the numbers are very different right???

Now with that said. I give my Grace every advantage I can with vitamins and herbs but.... If it comes to the point of needing meds other than Zantack, because Aloe Vera does not work for her, I will give it. I will happily crawl through hell it's self to get the best treatment for her.

She however will never go without seeing a GI or Doctor to make sure her health is at the best it can be. I think it would be FOOLISH for ANYONE here to go without making sure their IBD is controlled!

BTW we've never taken thought to snake oil!!!!! I wonder if theirs any health benifit to it.

Again just my Farm wife opinion on things.

Last edited by Farmwife; 11-15-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » Im a believer in herbs now! Herbs that helped me