Share Facebook

11-26-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Juicing Club

Hey Guys.

I've seen just about every type of treatment club on this forum so I figured I'd make another club for those including juicing into their treatment plan

Whether you are lightly juicing, or juicing as a lone treatment for your Crohn's, please post your experiences here on this thread so we can give those newcomers a better understanding and idea to the ins and outs of juicing!

Feel free to post recipes, results, experiences, symptoms, concerns, successes, failures etc etc.

As people post recipes I will be categorizing them here

Gianni

JUICING! click here!
11-26-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
kat-y

My Support Groups:
Gianni, I am curious about the juicing thing - does this remove a lot of the fibre content that causes digestive problems ? Since I had a hemicolectomy I can't manage fibrous food like carrots and many other vegetable I used to eat. I hate leaving this type of nutrient out of my diet and I am wondering how the juicing gets round this. May be a dumb question but I don't want to buy a juicer and find I have the same problems as before with veg.
Now on Azathioprine, VitD, B12
11-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Gianni, I am curious about the juicing thing - does this remove a lot of the fibre content that causes digestive problems ? Since I had a hemicolectomy I can't manage fibrous food like carrots and many other vegetable I used to eat. I hate leaving this type of nutrient out of my diet and I am wondering how the juicing gets round this. May be a dumb question but I don't want to buy a juicer and find I have the same problems as before with veg.
Not a dumb question at all.

Yes juicing will seperate the juice from the fiber and eject the fiber. The juice will be a water consistancy and will still maintain all of the great vitamins, phytochemicals, minerals, and enzymes that would be found in the fruit or vegetable's raw state.

You can read more about why I think juicing is great for Crohn's Here.

Gianni
11-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
sid

great idea..juicing club sounds good. I have never tried juicing but the idea seems good as I a,m sure that we we'll be able to absorb more minerals and vitamins.

Crohn's since Jan 2011.

No meds.
Diet as per ayurveda.
Vitamin D and B12 shots.
Currently experimenting with Probiotics, starting 2016.
And a large joint mad family, thus stress cant touch me.
11-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
scottsma

My Support Groups:
Hi Kat-y,I have trouble with fibre and worried about not getting the goodness of veggies,so I started juicing about 5 mnths ago.Best thing I've done.I only juice once a day but use quite a lot of stuff.Carrot and apple is lovely.I plan to do it twice a day in the New Year,that's my resolution.If I have to miss a juicing for some reason I really miss it.I also find myself nibbling the veg while prepping and I never really liked them before.Good Luck.I got my juicer from Argos
11-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
I am in the juicing club !
I juice at least once a day, usually in the morning for breakfast and I also really miss it if I go away or anything. I feel so much better since starting it , which was even before I started remicade.
Just today the doc told me that my inflammation markers are back down to normal levels , which is great and I am sure at least in part down to the benefits of juicing.

Juicing every morning.
Taking vitamin D spray
Multi vits & iron
And Probio 7 probiotic.

Being given a "drugs rest" from Aza - 17/9/14
11-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
TwinkleToes

I love juicing. I always feel my best when i'm juicing, and I tend to take recipes from whole foods. For example, today I had a drink with Celery, Pineapple, Ginger, and Flax Oil. It was really good! I also love juicing my own oranges and making fresh orange juice - it's DELICIOUS.

Runner (Completed over 15 5K's, and one half-marathon!), Horseback Rider, Lover of the outdoors (especially when restrooms are around, wifey and Mama to two rescue dogs.

Medications:
4G Pentasa/day
40mg of Humira every week
175mg of Imuran daily
Prenatal Vitamin, Calcium/Magnesium, Iron/Vitamin C
11-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I made a juice!

baby spinach
celery
lemon
ginger

All organic. Refreshing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20121127_140042.jpg (39.8 KB, 285 views)
11-28-2012, 03:54 AM   #9
sid

I got a new manual juicer yesterday and tried juicing today for the first time..though I wasnt happy with the juicer I think the juice was delicious...I used 1 big size pomegranate, 1 Indian gooseberry and one large sweet potato.
11-28-2012, 04:55 AM   #10
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Yup, those manual juicers can be a pain in the butt!
11-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
scottsma

My Support Groups:
Can you tell me please,is it better to let the juice digest for an hour or so before eating?I have a banana first thing,walk the dog, then juice,but I like to have meusli before 11am and that keeps me going until my main meal of the day.
11-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
ThanksP

I've juiced everyday for a year and a half. The energy it has given me is incredible.
11-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Can you tell me please,is it better to let the juice digest for an hour or so before eating?I have a banana first thing,walk the dog, then juice,but I like to have meusli before 11am and that keeps me going until my main meal of the day.
It's really hard to say. It is a great question that I continually try to figure out as well. Some sources will say yes it's better to avoid eating like 20-30 minutes after a juice but I don't feel much of a difference either way. I would avoid foods that bloat you after juicing though. Having said that I think it is better to avoid eating before your morning juice but a banana isn't worrisome.

Out of curiosity do you have fruit with your meusli (if I'm remembering right what meusli is), if so do you notice any bloating after eating it?

Gianni
11-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
sid

hi scottsma ! I think better absorption takes place if the juice is taken in empty stomach...it doesnt really matter if you take something after it...but avoiding any food for 10 to 15 minutes atleast seems a good idea.
11-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #15
sid

I've juiced everyday for a year and a half. The energy it has given me is incredible.
Yes..energy thats what we crohnnies need...and I think juicing is the best way.
11-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #16
scottsma

My Support Groups:
It's really hard to say. It is a great question that I continually try to figure out as well. Some sources will say yes it's better to avoid eating like 20-30 minutes after a juice but I don't feel much of a difference either way. I would avoid foods that bloat you after juicing though. Having said that I think it is better to avoid eating before your morning juice but a banana isn't worrisome.

Out of curiosity do you have fruit with your meusli (if I'm remembering right what meusli is), if so do you notice any bloating after eating it?

Gianni
I do eat some fruits but not with meusli,although there are dried fruits incorporated.I don't have any bloating with meusli.thanks for your advice.
11-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #17
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I would like to join this club. I don't juice super often, maybe once a week on average. I juice more in the summer as it is easier to get fresh fruits and veggies then. I did have juice for breakfast this morning, just using stuff we had in the house which was apples and carrots. I will say that I *hate* most things that contain apples, I cannot stand apple pie or apple cider or store-bought apple juice. But fresh apples in the juicer, it's just a totally different taste and I actually really like it. It tastes like freshness and health, whereas stuff like apple pie or apple cider just tastes like nasty rotten mushy apples to me. I usually only do one or two apples at most in my juices, just for a bit of added sweetness.

For those who mentioned putting a sweet potato into their juicer, do you use a certain kind? My hubby tried putting a sweet potato into our juicer once but it just sort of turned to mush and didn't really work. Maybe he just used a bad potato?
11-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #18
bunnyceleste

I am in the juicing club!!! I juice every morning, either a green juice or a carrot/beet variation have amped up to 2-3 times a day as I a awaiting a surgery date to remove a stricture that is cramping down more and more each day as I taper off pred. fresh jucie is my lifeblood. eating a sort of "alternative" low residue diet now (meaning Im gluten free and dont eat processed foods like jello, white bread, cereal, or other things you find recommended on low residue diets) making lots of homemade nut mylks with irish moss, avacado cacao pudding, goat yogurt, so much squash, homemade bone broths, miso broth, eggs, for grains Im down to occasional rice bread and rice pasta and buckwheat ( I make sprouted pancakes out of it). thinking I need to get serious about a juice fast as Im getting a little worried about my angry stricture and as of yet unscheduled surgery date.....
11-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #19
ThanksP

For those who mentioned putting a sweet potato into their juicer, do you use a certain kind? My hubby tried putting a sweet potato into our juicer once but it just sort of turned to mush and didn't really work. Maybe he just used a bad potato?
I use regular sweet potatoes (organic) and have never had a problem juicing them. Perhaps it's more your juicer than the type of sweet potato. I love the texture that sweet potatoes add, it adds a smooth, silky texture. But I learned the hard way...peel them first. I hated the potato peel smell.
11-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #20
sid

@Cat-a-Tonic : yes..you need to peel the sweet potato first as ThanksP said. Sweet potato can easil be juiced...I had a problem while juicing due to the kind of juicer I am using..but I guess any other better juicer would do the job easily.
11-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #21
scottsma

My Support Groups:
yes,my juicer has no problem with peeled sweet potatoes.Delicious.
11-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #22
Jam300

My Support Groups:
I just found a juicer in my house! No one knows who's it is or what its doing there but I just a glass of carrot juice, yum!
Currently undergoing re-assessment.
12-02-2012, 03:45 AM   #23
sid

I am having reallyhard time with my manual juicer...I dont have enough money to go for an expensive juicer at this moment so ..I am thinking of using the blender jar that came with the mixer/grinder at home. has anyone tried that ?
12-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #24
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Hey sid,

Yeah unfortunately those manual juicers can undo the effects of the juice since it was so stressful getting the juice in the first place!

Blenders are still really beneficial especially if you can handle fiber. I believe that smoothies are arguably more beneficial than juices for normal healthy individuals who aren't dealing with an ailment.

Unfortunately not all blenders can handle the tough vegetables so you'll have to try it and see.

I really want to start a sponsorship program where we can lend out juicers to individuals on here who can't afford one, but I fear that is far down the line.

Gianni
12-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #25
sid

Thats a noble idea Gianni. But yes..that is not easy to bring into practice and might take a long time. But really nice of you to think of it.
12-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #26
ValerieAK89

Is it good to eat here and there while you juice or is it better to just do a total juice fast?
12-05-2012, 04:55 AM   #27
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Juice fasts are amazing but it is perfectly fine to eat while juicing. Most of the time I just add juice to my daily regimen, no need to go to the extreme like a juice fast in order to get some great nutrients

If you are interested in a juice fast, I will be hosting another community one in January sometime.
12-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #28
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
I have just discovered these and have ordered some to take with me on my ski trip - not the same as juicing at home but hopefully it will help me cope while I am away

http://www.shotzhealth.com/
12-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #29
scottsma

My Support Groups:
we go caravaning quite a lot during the summer,so these would be ideal.Juicing isn't viable when you're just a step up from camping.I took my powdered organic wheatgrass and I have tried Baobab powder,but this would be better.
12-27-2012, 05:31 AM   #30
kmole

I just started a juice fast and I just finished my third day! I think my goal is going to be 30 days. I'm juice fasting for my crohns (it hasn't responded to medicines and I just had a surgery consulation) and for the horrible acne prednisone gave me! A few weeks before I started the juice fast I was taken off all of my medication and I started eating cannabutter and my arthritis went away and my inflammation as of last week is gone! So my hopes for this juice fast is just overall health benefits and hopefully my acne will get better. However, I have had some nasty juices and it feels like day 30 is so far away! I have a few questions though. Will the diarrhea ever slow down and will I have to pee this often the whole time? Also, what are the major differences between a 30 and 60 day juice fast?