Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Microscopic Colitis » My holistic treatment and diet diary for Lymphocytic Colitis

12-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #31
D Bergy

A paste made from soot can be used to clean creosote off of glass in a wood burning stove. It is a mild abrasive so it probably would work like baking soda for teeth.

Onions are off the food list for me. Garlic does not seem to bother me much, but the two have many sulphur compounds so both should be tested if one causes you trouble.

How do you cook the Salmon? The farm raised fish is quite a bit different than wild. The color which is present in wild salmon is not present in farmed salmon. It has food coloring to make it look normal.

Interesting thread.

Dan
12-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #32
David
Co-Founder

Interesting about the soot! Hahah Old timers sure were creative.

Actually, onions should have been on my iffy list as well. Just added it. Thanks! I also added apples to the definite list which I forgot to add. I've never taken the time to write down my definites and possibles, just kept it in my head so this is good. Dan, are there other foods high in sulfur like onion and garlic?

98% of the time I BBQ the salmon and then put a little vegan mayo on it that has never given me problems. The other 2% I pan fry it then use the mayo because I'm too lazy to go outside.
12-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #33
David
Co-Founder

I'm feeling pretty good today I have a 12:30 prolotherapy appointment today which may screw that up a bit for a few days. I'll explain that when I get home.

Lower right gut pain - 2
Costochondritis - 1
Eye inflammation - 3
General aches - 2
Emotional stuff - 7

11:29am - Costochondritis exercises

11:45 - Goat milk kefir

11:45 - Grapes

12:30 - Prolotherapy - See explanation a few posts below.

1:00pm - Smoked pork ribs (not organic)

2:30 - Steak bowl from chipotle - probably not good but I never have correlated a reaction from this. I get the bowl with steak, rice, black beans, and lettuce and have no guilt over it

8:30 - Salad with quinoa
12-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #34
D Bergy

Prolotherapy is an interesting treatment used by the former Surgeon General C Everett Koop. I am curious as to what you are treating with this method?

There are other high sulphur foods but I can't remember any of them right now.

I can eat any kind of fish as long as it is not breaded and deep fried in grease. The grease will swell up my guts like onions do. I am not sure why, but I suspect the burnt grease is inflammatory because it is used so long.

Malt is another bad food for me. Not sure why.

I am not 100 percent sure of this but I think the pink color of wild salmon is from Astaxanthin that is an antiinflammatory substance. I take this in capsule form. Farmed salmon does not have this and is higher in fat and PCBs. Not even the same food really.

Dan
12-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #35
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I went to Alaska this last summer and caught about 200 pounds of Salmon. My salmon has just been sitting in my freezer waiting till I advance my diet from veganism. The rest of my family keeps eyeing my salmon!

I'm really excited for when I do incorporate fish back into my diet as I will have some of the healthiest unaltered salmon on earth! And I LOVE salmon

JUICING! click here!
12-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #36
FullM3lt
Activate CB2

I went to Alaska this last summer and caught about 200 pounds of Salmon. My salmon has just been sitting in my freezer waiting till I advance my diet from veganism. The rest of my family keeps eyeing my salmon!

I'm really excited for when I do incorporate fish back into my diet as I will have some of the healthiest unaltered salmon on earth! And I LOVE salmon
I'd love to have 200 pounds of salmon....so tasty and good for you

Glad to see that you're feeling well today, David. My gut is feeling great but the costo is 7/10 . Seeing my GI again today to get a rec to a rheumatologist

Looking forward to hearing about your prolotherapy...maybe it can help me too

Diagnosed with Costochondritis December 2012

Currently: Asymptomatic

Current Meds: Vitamin D3, Vaporized cannabis oil daily (CBD and THC)

Past (failed) Meds: Prednisone, Mesalamine, 6MP, Remicade, Flagyl, etc...all traditional western medicine has failed me time after time.
12-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #37
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Soot? Hah! How were her teeth?

Here is the recipe I use.
Pretty white when she was younger, apparently. Unfortunately, she had falsies as far back as I remember
Thanks for the recipe, sweetie.

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x
12-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #38
David
Co-Founder

Prolotherapy is an interesting treatment used by the former Surgeon General C Everett Koop. I am curious as to what you are treating with this method?
I initially treated my costochondritis with prolotherapy and it has made a HUGE difference. As I have that under very good control, I didn't have the doctor do any chest or upper back prolotherapy on me today for the first time ever. Instead, I had him focus on my hip area, iliac crest, and other areas in my lower right quadrant. I know for a fact that self massage with a tennis ball in that area helps a LOT. I theorize that trauma to that area plays a bit of a role in my IBD. How much, I can't say for sure. But I theorize that damaged tissue results in decreased circulation of blood and lymph fluid in the area. So I'm trying to heal old injuries to see if it helps my newer issues.

Anyway, for those who don't know what prolotherapy is, it's injections of a solution into areas of your body in an effort to create an inflammatory response. The body then sends stem cells to that areas as part of the response which can lead to healing of injuries. The injections are done by MDs or in some states, acupuncturists can do it. So it's not some guy in the back of a taco shop claiming he can align your chakras by injecting his magical elixer into your joints. Here are some good videos:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/HCbcC593TTowc
12-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #39
David
Co-Founder

I'm feeling pretty darn good today Often I feel worse after prolotherapy as it creates an inflammatory response but that has always been in my chest. So far, I am not feeling that in my LRQ.

Lower right gut pain - 2
Costochondritis - 1
Eye inflammation - 3
General aches - 1
Emotional stuff - 7

I was an idiot and accidentally left my vat of soup out all night instead of putting it in the fridge. All that time and about $15.00 worth of ingredients down the drain. *sigh*

11:50 - Yin yoga - Janu sirsasana.

12:00 - Smoothie

2:30 - Gluten free chocolate chip cookie

4:40 - Grapes

6:30 - Stirfry with pretty much everything I usually put in soups. Butter as the fat.

7:00 - Dates
12-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #40
Clash
Forum Monitor

Where's that taco shop? I've been craving a chalupa and my chakra is all out of whack!!!
dx March 2012 CD

CURRENT MEDS: MTX injections, Stelara

Dx May 2014: JSpA
8/2014 ileocecectomy
9/2017 G tube

PAST MEDS: remicade, oral mtx, humira
12-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #41
David
Co-Founder

I'm ready to change now.
12-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #42
David
Co-Founder

I was just doing some David Chi (think tai chi but to ADHD to follow the videos so you just move real slow with grace however your body feels like) and connected to some pain in my lower right quadrant towards my back. I allowed myself to really feel it and as I relaxed into the pain, my right hip shifted where it sits in relation to the rest of my body. It felt weird but GOOD. Like that's the alignment my body is supposed to have but it feels weird because of damage/weakness/tension of the surrounding muscles, tendons, ligaments, etc. I walked around with my hip in that position, consciously hold it there, and it felt GOOD.

What if all the tests we conduct show microscopic manifestations of a much more macroscopic problem. The hose is chronically kinked and we're studying how gross the water gets and how to purify it.
12-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #43
lisakuney

My Support Groups:
Have you ever explored working with someone on Alexander technique? It can help your body heal by moving in healthier, more properly aligned ways.
12-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #44
David
Co-Founder

Have you ever explored working with someone on Alexander technique? It can help your body heal by moving in healthier, more properly aligned ways.
I don't know that I've ever heard of it Do you utilize it?
12-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #45
lisakuney

My Support Groups:
I don't know that I've ever heard of it Do you utilize it?
I have with good results. I also tried to keep it in mind while teaching my dance classes.
12-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #46
David
Co-Founder

Any book or website you recommend?
12-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #47
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I initially treated my costochondritis with prolotherapy and it has made a HUGE difference. As I have that under very good control, I didn't have the doctor do any chest or upper back prolotherapy on me today for the first time ever. Instead, I had him focus on my hip area, iliac crest, and other areas in my lower right quadrant. I know for a fact that self massage with a tennis ball in that area helps a LOT. I theorize that trauma to that area plays a bit of a role in my IBD. How much, I can't say for sure. But I theorize that damaged tissue results in decreased circulation of blood and lymph fluid in the area. So I'm trying to heal old injuries to see if it helps my newer issues.

Anyway, for those who don't know what prolotherapy is, it's injections of a solution into areas of your body in an effort to create an inflammatory response. The body then sends stem cells to that areas as part of the response which can lead to healing of injuries. The injections are done by MDs or in some states, acupuncturists can do it. So it's not some guy in the back of a taco shop claiming he can align your chakras by injecting his magical elixer into your joints. Here are some good videos:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/HCbcC593TTowc

David
I had prolo shots years ago. 3 session I think. My back was so bad I had to use a help to get around and I was about 20 at the time. My doc did these and I had chiropractic help as well and saw HUGE improvements.

I hope they continue to work for you.

BTW leave it up to Clash to think about food when we discuss important medical...stuff.
dx Juvenile Arthritis
(12/13/13)
dx Erthema Nodosum
(8/13/14)
Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction
(10/14/13)
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome dx (1/26/17)
Remicade started on (9/8/14)Every 4 wks
Azathroprine started on 10/9/15
EN/EEN- since (1/12/13)
Past Meds- LDN, Humira, Pred, MTX, Sulfasalazine
12-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #48
lisakuney

My Support Groups:
Any book or website you recommend?
You can start at Alexander Technique.

I found it helpful to work with an instructor to refine my movement.
12-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #49
David
Co-Founder

I should have mentioned that I began taking 500mg of magnesium daily four days ago. For a couple of weeks now, my right eyelid (same eye that gets inflamed) has been twitching. I was patient with it but it got to be too much so did some research and found that magnesium deficiency can cause it. I also have occasionally restless legs and I've also correlated some improved symptoms in the past when I supplemented magnesium. So I started.

Today was the first day in a couple weeks that I haven't woken up to my eyelid twitching. I hope that continues as it was really starting to drive me nuts.
12-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #50
David
Co-Founder

Lower right gut pain - 2
Costochondritis - 2
Eye inflammation - 2
General aches - 2
Emotional stuff - 7

Feeling pretty good overall so far today

12:20 - Goat milk kefir

12:25 - Yin yoga - janu sirsasana

12:40 - Costochondritis exercises

4:30pm - 2 glasses of red wine (party)

4:30 - Bread topped with figs, nuts and apples with brie. Not too smart but yummy!

5:00 - Nuts

8:15 - Liverwurst

9:30 - Tangerines

11:20 - Goat Milk Kefir
12-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #51
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
I should have mentioned that I began taking 500mg of magnesium daily four days ago. For a couple of weeks now, my right eyelid (same eye that gets inflamed) has been twitching. I was patient with it but it got to be too much so did some research and found that magnesium deficiency can cause it. I also have occasionally restless legs and I've also correlated some improved symptoms in the past when I supplemented magnesium. So I started.

Today was the first day in a couple weeks that I haven't woken up to my eyelid twitching. I hope that continues as it was really starting to drive me nuts.
Interesting, thank you. My eyes have been irritated and flickering occasionally too, more so since the surgery and the restless leg thing I've had since my first flare began - it drives me crazy!
I've been meaning to check what I might need to be supplementing now I dont have my IC valve and cecum. I seem to remember, when I asked my IBD nurse way back to check my iron, he said my levels were fine but he thought I should be taking magnesium and zinc supplements.
12-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #52
David
Co-Founder

It's actually REALLY HARD to get the RDA of magnesium. Take a look at the top magnesium containing foods here. The RDA for a male my age is 420mg per day. The first thing on that list that I actually enjoy and eat in any quantity is bananas. How many bananas would I have to eat per day to get my RDA? 14.
12-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #53
David
Co-Founder

Bad me for not updating today. It has been a busy day...

Anyway, I've been feeling pretty damn good today other than my eye.

Lower right gut pain - 2
Costochondritis - 1
Eye inflammation - 3
General aches - 1
Happy Scale - 8

~ 11:00am - Smoothie

~ 12:30pm - Dates

~ 2:30pm - Pork ribs (not organic)

~5:30pm - Grapes

7:25 - Goat milk kefir

9:30 - Stir fry of vegetables

10:00 - Organic chocolate
12-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #54
D Bergy

I am glad you didn't list liver wurst again. That stuff will kill you just from the taste!

Dan
12-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #55
David
Co-Founder

Hahah. I really like it personally My mom fed it to me when I was little so I guess I developed a taste for it.
12-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #56
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Mmm dates. Ever had bacon wrapped dates stuffed with cheese? It's sinfully delicious.
12-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #57
David
Co-Founder

Hah! Can't say I have. But bacon and cheese make ANYTHING better so I can imagine
12-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #58
David
Co-Founder

I feel REALLY good so far today.

Lower right gut pain - 0
Costochondritis - 1
Eye inflammation - 3
General aches - 1
Happy Scale - 8

10:30am - Yin Yoga - Janu Sirsasana

11:00am - Goat milk kefir

2:10pm - Grapes

3:30 - Cheese (I know, I know)

Fondue party begins here.

5:30 - Chips and dip

8:30 - Steak, bread, cheese, chocolate, strawberries, falafal, baba ganoush, hummus, pita bread, rum, horseradish sauce
12-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #59
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Everything you are doing sounds SO clean and healthy! Definitely inspirational!

Just wanted to send some support your way! Keep up the good work and I hope you have many more great days to come!

Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

12-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #60
David
Co-Founder

Hooooo boy. Fondue parties and diets do NOT mix. Yesterday's late update show just how far I fell off the wagon. That's ok though, it was tremendous fun and so far it hasn't negatively affected me except in the general aches area. I think my kidneys are upset with me.

Lower right gut pain - 0
Costochondritis - 1
Eye inflammation - 3
General aches - 4
Happy Scale - 8

After going to bed at 1:30am I was up at 6am. Probably not the healthiest thing but I go garage saling every Saturday and I enjoy the hobby immensely so *shrug*

6:00am - Orange Juice

6:30am - Coffee

1:30pm - Goat Milk Kefir

2:00pm - Cheese

5:30 - Leftover fondue steak

6:30 - Carrot juice

10:30 - Goat milk kefir

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Microscopic Colitis » My holistic treatment and diet diary for Lymphocytic Colitis