Share Facebook

10-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Juicing Recipes!

JUICING RECIPES!!

In this thread I will be posting juicing recipes and the benefits of all the recipes!!

I am kind of a health nut and I have made a massive excel sheet charting the different vitamin levels of each fruit and vegetable (that I could think of). So feel free to post your own recipes and I will add in the benefits of that particular juice and post on the first post.

If you want to learn about my opinion on how juicing is a viable treatment option for crohn’s, Click here.

Recipes:

My Favorite- The Red Head: This juice just tastes really good and in my opinion holds the best balance of extreme nutrition and great taste. Carrots are extremely high in beta-carotene. Beta-carotene substantially benefits your eyes, skin, hair, nails, teeth and gums. It also has anti aging properties as well as anti cancer effects. Sweet Potatoes are my favorite! You wouldn’t think they would juice well but indeed they juice really well. Sweet Potatoes are one of the only vegetables that contain Vitamin D and as you crohnies know, Vitamin D is extremely important for us. Sweet Potatoes also have more Vitamin A than carrots and more Vitamin C than an orange. They truly are heavy weight champs. “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” That statement is so true as apples have great benefits. Apple skin has been shown to be superstars against just about every cancer. The great sugar in apple has been shown to be heart healthy. And the soluble fiber in apples has been shown to greatly reduce LDL cholesterol. Also apples through the high levels of Vitamin C and antioxidants has been shown to greatly improve immune response.

4-7 Carrots (depending on size)
2 sweet potatoes
2 Apples, (i use granny smith apples because of the lower sugar levels)

(typically I do a ginger shot here: see ginger shot)

Ginger shot: Ginger is great because next to turmeric it has the highest anti inflammatory level. It also helps ease stomachaches and cramps. Do I need to say more?

Top half of thumbs worth of Ginger
(you can include half of a peeled lemon here)
(I take the ginger shot separately from the juice in an actual shot glass usually and then use my juice that I just made as a "chaser" .

The Mean Pristine Green: I try to make this juice every day and often I make variances of the juice so feel free to think a bit out of the box on this one. Dark greens are great because they contain a very good amount of healthy minerals. Kale is my FAVORITE because it has soooo many great benefits. It has high levels of Vitamin K which help protect against various cancer as well helps cognitive function. Kale also has high levels of antioxidant while being a negative calorie food. Kale contains very high levels of Vitamins A and C as well which I talked about in the red head juice. Kale is also very anti inflammatory and helps build very strong bones because of its great calcium levels ☺. I consider Red cabbage a super food. See the benefits of carrots and then multiply by two and then add in that Red cabbage helps Treat ulcers!!! (queue dancing now)!

3 Carrots
6-8 Kale Shoots or collard greens
6-8 Romaine Lettuce Leaves
Handful of Spinach
1 top of thumb worth of ginger
half of red cabbage
(may add one apple here if you want to sweeten)

DETOXER: This juice is great for removing toxins from your body. green vegetables as is help push out toxins but with the additions of garlic and onion and ginger it adds a very strong detox presence. This Juice is extremely beneficial for your liver which in turn will help your immune system.

3 carrots
4 Kale shoots
4 Romaine Lettuce Leaves
2 cloves of garlic
1/3 onion
2 celery
2 beets

Joint soother tummy mover:
This juice is great for reducing inflammation and also great in helping build strong bones and joints. This juice will also get things moving in your gut and soothe your digestive tract. The folate in the asparagus and broccoli will help regulate inflammation. Asparagus is high in Vitamin K to help build strong bone. Asparagus is also high in rutin, Vitamin C, and iron which all strengthen the immune system substantially. The apples contain natural laxatives to keep the gut moving while the ginger helps soothe and calm to tract as well as low inflammation in the body.

2 Apple
5 asparagus spears
1 handful of Parsley
3 carrots
3 stalks of celery
1 cup of broccoli
1 knob of ginger (optional)

Watermellow fello
This juice is really only for taste and to just enjoy a juice everyone once in awhile when it is hot outside. This juice tastes great. Unfortunately it is high in sugar but remember it is natural sugar, just don't have this every day, maybe just once every 2 weeks.
Having said that, watermelon is still an amazing food with many health benefits(if organic)
Watermelon is an extreme alkalizer for the body, meaning it will raise your ph level
Watermelon also contains the highest level of antioxidant, lycopene. Lycopene is considered one of the strongest antioxidants it even beats out beta carotene and Vitamin E. It helps reduce the risk of lung, colon, breast and other cancers.
Watermelon also has been shown to relax blood vessels as well as muscles.
Watermelon also contains very high levels of potassium.

1/4 of large watermelon (sizes really differ here so its best to eye ball it)
2 top half of thumbs worth of ginger
1 or 1/2 peeled lime
5+ mint leaves

Ready Steady Go! (submitted by beach bum)
2 apples
1 small raw beetroot
1 small broccoli stem
1 celery stick
2 inch slice cucumber
1/4 of pineapple
Piece of lemon
All over Ice

Green Godess
I think this is the best tasting green juice out there. This is one of my only juices without carrots as a base and I really think that is what helps the symbiotic flavors mesh well.

Cucumber is 95% water but is extremely hydrating and gives you the electrolytes you need to start your day. Cucumber is EXTREMELY beneficial for diabetics as it contains helpful hormones that helps the pancreas in the production of Insulin. Google cucumber and diabetes and be amazed.

Cucumbers also have high levels of silica which has been known to help with joint pain. The silica will strengthen the connective tissues within the joint. So for all you Crohnies experiencing joint pain, cucumbers may be worth looking into.

Swiss Chard is a super food. Swiss Chard contains an extremely high level of antioxidants that helps immune function, protects against aging, protects against degenerative diseases and repairs DNA damage. It contains beta-carotene, vitamin E, vitamin C, zinc, lutein, zeaxanthin, quercetin, kaempferol to name only a few of the many antioxidants.

Swiss chard is another great food for diabetics as it helps regulate blood sugar levels.

Swiss chard contains high levels of magnesium, calcium and Vitamin K which all are essential for healthy bones.

Swiss Chard is high in Iron

Swiss chard boasts an extremely high level of the antioxidant lutein, which is essential for eye health. Nutritional studies have shown lutein to prevent and even reverse age related eye damage. So for all you Crohnies with eye inflammation, this may be beneficial.

1-2 (2 if small) Cucumber(s)
2-3 shoots of kale
1-2 shoots of swiss chard
1 Granny Smith Apple
1 Peeled lemon
1 knob of ginger

Green Lemonade (submitted my Charleigh)
3-4 Apples - Fuji is good, organic
1 Lime or Lemon – I like lime (use the rind also if organic, if not organic, peel it but leave the white )
fresh peeled ginger to taste- its hot so try a 1/4- 1/2 inch depending on width
Kale – 1-4 leaves with stems, depending on size and black kale is my favorite
1-2 stalks celery – optional but good for eliminating water retention

Benefits:
Celery: Celery is a nutritional powerhouse. While normally thought to be mostly water and therefore not very useful, nothing could be further from the truth. Just read this: http://www.naturalnews.com/027977_celery_healing.html

Celery is great for replenishing electrolytes!

Delicious Detox?

6 Apples- fuji organic
2 ginger knobs.
4 Mint leaves-

Apples are amazing! I talked about them already above but I'll say it again Apples are incredible but to get all the benefits they must be organic! This is a great detox that actually tastes really really good.

I have many more juices I would like to include but I will update them periodically as I want to give you guys the opportunity to submit juices.
Enjoy!

Ps. Once again, if you want to learn my opinion on why juicing is a great treatment plan for crohn's click THIS

JUICING! click here!

Last edited by Gianni; 12-16-2012 at 05:52 AM.
10-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
shazzy

Thank you , I brought a Juicer but found it was confusing to find the right mix. Im going to try this .. nothing to lose . ; )
10-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I have found that wheatgrass is harsh on my stomach. I guess it's a common feeling amongst foodies. But yes if you can handle it, then go for it
10-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
mnsun

Just wondering: do you boil/cook the beets/sweet potatoes before juicing? I haven't really looked into it, but someone at my farmers market told me to...
10-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Just wondering: do you boil/cook the beets/sweet potatoes before juicing? I haven't really looked into it, but someone at my farmers market told me to...
No i juice them completely raw. Any juicer should be able to take care of both a beet and a sweet potato.
10-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
ThanksP

I always peel my sweet potato just because I get a slight tinge of potato peel taste at the bottom of the glassful and it grosses me out. But I love the smooth texture sweet potato gives a juice. My fave with sweet potato to juice one with 3 carrots, a handful of parsley, leaf or two of kale, and a peeled orange.

Gianni, is there a reason you peel your lemon? I always throw the entire thing in and don't taste a difference. I learned the hard way NEVER to do that with an orange though LOL. YUCK!
10-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I always peel my sweet potato just because I get a slight tinge of potato peel taste at the bottom of the glassful and it grosses me out. But I love the smooth texture sweet potato gives a juice. My fave with sweet potato to juice one with 3 carrots, a handful of parsley, leaf or two of kale, and a peeled orange.

Gianni, is there a reason you peel your lemon? I always throw the entire thing in and don't taste a difference. I learned the hard way NEVER to do that with an orange though LOL. YUCK!
There are three reasons why I peel my lemons for Juicing.

One, you never know whats on those lemons and although they might be organic, certain pesticides, waxes, and other chemicals are allowed to be used on the fruit or vegetable post harvest.

Two: Many juicers can't actually handle a lemon,orange,lime peels and will actually break. I found this out the hard way as my first juicer was a centrifugal juicer and i threw the whole lemon in there and the engine heated up and actually died. But my new juicer can handle them

Three: I am surprised you don't notice a difference in taste. Like an orange, i taste quite a bit of bitterness. Plus it feels weird on my teeth after i drink a juice with a peel in it.

Hope this helps

Gianni
10-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
ThanksP

My juicer handles everything so I've never had a problem with throwing everything in there. But OMG, the orange peel just about knocked me on my butt. ICK! Nope, lemon and lime peel doesn't bother me one bit. I guess this is why when anyone asks me what to juice, I tell them it's trial and error because everyone is different. For example, I LOVE LOVE LOVE beet juice, but the first person I made it for couldn't get past one sip.

When I started juicing, I made a "juice journal" of all my recipes. That way I knew which ones I NEVER wanted to try again (tomato and orange together...holy acid reflux!). And I also knew which ones I loved. Now I pretty much throw in whatever I get in my organic fruit veggie basket from the CSA each week. There's nothing I won't juice LOL.
10-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #9
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Updated, added two more juices
11-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
jenstl

I'm wanting to buy a juicer. What brand/models do you recommend? There are so many out there!
11-08-2012, 02:19 AM   #11
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I'm wanting to buy a juicer. What brand/models do you recommend? There are so many out there!
You know that's a tough question. It really depends on your budget as there are some AMAZING juicers out there but they will break your bank. I think the omega juice brand is great, they have cheap ones and expensive ones and I think you get the best bang for your buck with these.

http://www.omegajuicers.com/

I believe you can get them cheaper on amazon so pick which one you like then see if it is cheaper elsewhere.

Personally I have a $900 juicer! My first juicer was a $50 juicer but when I realized the power of juicing I decided to save up.

If you are serious about juicing and can divi up some money here is a great juicer that gives a lot of bang for its buck. http://www.omegajuicers.com/juicers/juicer-8006.html

Gianni
11-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #12
jenstl

Thanks Gianni. I've never tried juicing. Did you find that when you first started that it upset your stomach? Just curious about the intake of a lot of fruits and veggies even through liquid form.
11-17-2012, 05:08 AM   #13
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Thanks Gianni. I've never tried juicing. Did you find that when you first started that it upset your stomach? Just curious about the intake of a lot of fruits and veggies even through liquid form.
You know I did find this a little bit. At first it did upset my stomach to juice but when I first started I couldn't handle the super green juices so I included more fruit. That proved to be the root of many of my belly aches while juicing. Try limiting fruit if you have that issue.

Gianni
11-17-2012, 05:08 AM   #14
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Updated the first post with two new juices guys.

Gianni
11-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
jenstl

Gianni - so reduce the green or the fruits? Sorry, just want to make sure I'm doing this right.
11-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #16
Gianni

My Support Groups:
reduce the fruits. The sugars can cause some gut pain for crohnies.
11-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #17
jenstl

Cool, thanks.
11-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #18
scottsma

My Support Groups:
sweet potato,peeled,3 carrots,2 celery sticks,2 green apples and 3ins cucumber and 1ns ginger.That was todays juice.Is that adequate.? Sometimes kale or red cabbage or spinach.I've been juicing most days for 5mnths and want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.I have a banana daily also,and soft fruit when in season.
11-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #19
sid

wow..just what I was looking for..thanks Gianni.

Crohn's since Jan 2011.

No meds.
Diet as per ayurveda.
Vitamin D and B12 shots.
Currently experimenting with Probiotics, starting 2016.
And a large joint mad family, thus stress cant touch me.
11-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #20
sid

unfortunately I cant find many of teh vegetable mentioned in the list..but I am going to add other similar vegetable with same benefits in their place..so I hope I will get the same results as mentioned. I know this is going to be my favourite thread on this forum.
12-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #21
tropez

I take it you use each of these recipes as a meal replacement? I bought all of the ingredients for the first two recipes earlier so I will be trying them soon.

Also, when you say a ginger shot, are you juicing the ginger root and shooting that straight or mixing it in with your other recipes. That is a little confusing.
12-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #22
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I take it you use each of these recipes as a meal replacement?
Not always. When I do a juice fast then yes and If I make my juice in the morning then yes. But I sometimes will eat AFTER I juice. I like to keep my stomach as empty as possible before I juice but feel free to eat afterwards if you aren't doing a juice fast.

Also, when you say a ginger shot, are you juicing the ginger root and shooting that straight or mixing it in with your other recipes. That is a little confusing.
I take the shot separately but feel free to mix it in too although some people don't like the taste so shooting it separate might be better. Sorry about that, I'll elaborate.

Gianni
12-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #23
tropez

Not always. When I do a juice fast then yes and If I make my juice in the morning then yes. But I sometimes will eat AFTER I juice. I like to keep my stomach as empty as possible before I juice but feel free to eat afterwards if you aren't doing a juice fast.

I take the shot separately but feel free to mix it in too although some people don't like the taste so shooting it separate might be better. Sorry about that, I'll elaborate.

Gianni
Thank you, your posts on this site have been very informative.
12-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #24
tropez

Gianni

From my past experiences juicing, I'm usually too full to eat anything in addition to a good juice. I guess if I only made 1/4 of a recipe I would be okay.

I just made The Red Head recipe, good stuff, tasty, drinking it now.

I use a Breville jucier by the way, it didn't have a problem with sweet potatoes with the skin on.
12-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #25
KWalker

Watermellow fello
This juice is really only for taste and to just enjoy a juice everyone once in awhile when it is hot outside. This juice tastes great. Unfortunately it is high in sugar but remember it is natural sugar, just don't have this every day, maybe just once every 2 weeks.
Having said that, watermelon is still an amazing food with many health benefits(if organic)
Watermelon is an extreme alkalizer for the body, meaning it will raise your ph level
Watermelon also contains the highest level of antioxidant, lycopene. Lycopene is considered one of the strongest antioxidants it even beats out beta carotene and Vitamin E. It helps reduce the risk of lung, colon, breast and other cancers.

1 or 1/2 peeled lime
5+ mint leaves

This is probably so good!

Previous Meds:
Prednisone
Remicade
Humira
Methotrexate (oral)
Methotrexate (injections)
Cipro
Flagyl

Current Treatment:
200mg Simponi, Psyllium
12-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #26
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Watermellow fello

1 or 1/2 peeled lime
5+ mint leaves

This is probably so good!
It really is
12-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #27
newlymarriedtocrohns

Hubby and I just bought our first juicer! Thank you so much for organizing this recipe board.

What recipe would you recommend to start with? I'm hoping to start with something really tasty for extra motivation to continue exploring the juicing world. I definitely wouldn't want our first drink to be a dud.

Also, what are your thoughts on juicing tomatoes? Is it better to avoid since the acid could cause problems? Thanks!
12-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #28
Gianni

My Support Groups:
Hubby and I just bought our first juicer! Thank you so much for organizing this recipe board.

What recipe would you recommend to start with? I'm hoping to start with something really tasty for extra motivation to continue exploring the juicing world. I definitely wouldn't want our first drink to be a dud.

Also, what are your thoughts on juicing tomatoes? Is it better to avoid since the acid could cause problems? Thanks!
I would try the red head first. Perfect balance of taste and nutrients.

Tomatoes are good to juice just don't juice too many or make sure that you also are including alkaline vegetables (basically any vegetable) within that same juice to counteract the acid. I wouldn't advise having more than 1 straight tomato juice a day is all but feel free to add them to recipes

Gianni
12-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #29
tropez

Just made the Mean Green without the ginger. This stuff is dark broham, very dark. Flavor tastes how I would have expected based on what went in.
12-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #30
KWalker

I did a red head yesterday! (hehe, that sounds sexual) I was expecting it to taste so much worse than it actually did. Until I get a juicer I'm currently using the blender I have here so if I experiment with water levels I can make it more of a juice than a slushie.

I also made another one, and I don't know how beneficial this one is but it's delicious. I used 2 large naval oranges, 1 whole lemon, and a knob of ginger root. The mix of lemon and orange was so tasty!

I'm going to experiment with some fruits, possibly today. I really want to make one including chocolate almond milk, bananas, and something else I haven't decided yet. Are there any fruits I should focus on or stay away from?