Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Microscopic Colitis » My holistic treatment and diet diary for Lymphocytic Colitis

12-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #61
KWalker

Hooooo boy. Fondue parties and diets do NOT mix
I was going to ask this. I have a few questions for you. Do you usually try to avoid bread/rice? Also, I saw you had gluten free chocolate chip cookies. Can this still be considered "bad" because of the chocolate chips?

Previous Meds:
Prednisone
Remicade
Humira
Methotrexate (oral)
Methotrexate (injections)
Cipro
Flagyl

Current Treatment:
200mg Simponi, Psyllium
12-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #62
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
What's garage sailing?

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x
12-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #63
KWalker

I think this is what he's talking about

12-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #64
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
[QUOTE=David;548224]

After going to bed at 1:30am I was up at 6am. Probably not the healthiest thing but I go garage saling every Saturday and I enjoy the hobby immensely so *shrug*

Shame on you David!!!

Garage saling is a SPORT not a HOBBY!
Poeple like that are ruthless. We had a HUGE barn sale of house hold stuff and these fanstic up way to early for a deal were lining out side our barn doors by 6:00 am. Ya put a price on an item and they'll talk your ear off till ya give them their asking price or tell them to go bugger off!

Garage saling=yard sales=barn sales
dx Juvenile Arthritis
(12/13/13)
dx Erthema Nodosum
(8/13/14)
Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction
(10/14/13)
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome dx (1/26/17)
Remicade started on (9/8/14)Every 4 wks
Azathroprine started on 10/9/15
EN/EEN- since (1/12/13)
Past Meds- LDN, Humira, Pred, MTX, Sulfasalazine
12-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #65
David
Co-Founder

Grumbletum - Garage saling is going out to a bunch of garage sales, buying things I need for amazing prices and buying useless crap for amazing prices then reselling it to people on ebay for a little more.
I was going to ask this. I have a few questions for you. Do you usually try to avoid bread/rice? Also, I saw you had gluten free chocolate chip cookies. Can this still be considered "bad" because of the chocolate chips?
Yes, I avoid bread when I am being good. I shouldn't have gluten, eggs, or yeast. Heheh. As for the chocolate, it doesn't seem to negatively affect me that I can correlate. I'd be weary of the 1/2 cup of sugar I'm eating in all those cookies before I worry about the chocolate. The thing is, where I'm at, if I totally cut out EVERYTHING I enjoyed like chocolate chip cookies, at some point I'd look like this so it's better I do things in moderation:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg candy.JPG (20.4 KB, 81 views)
12-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #66
David
Co-Founder

I'm still doing REALLY good. Some twinges in my gut today but not much.

Lower right gut pain - 1
Costochondritis - 1
Eye inflammation - 3
General aches - 2
Happy Scale - 8

My hemmie is hurting though. I need to get my head out of my ass and start taking the psyllium.

10:15 - Yin yoga - Janu sirsasana

10:30am - Goat milk kefir

11:00 - Smoothie

2:30pm - 1/2 Cantaloupe

4:30 - Psyllium husk

6:30 - Carrot juice

8:30 - Costochondritis exercises

11:30 - Homemade soup

12:00 - Gluten free chocolate chip cookie x2
12-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #67
David
Co-Founder

I'm REALLY liking how I'm feeling on this magnesium. I'm switching things up a little and am taking two different forms of it. The two supplements are:

Cal-Mag Citrate - I take one of these in the morning
400iu of vitamin D3 - I really don't need this but I wanted the other ingredients
Calcium - 500mg
Magnesium (50% glycinate and 50% citrate) - 250mg

Cal Mag - I take one of these in the evening
Calcium - 1000mg
Magnesium (oxide) - 500mg

The more I research magnesium, the more I realize I have VERY LIKELY been deficient and it has been causing many of my issues.
12-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #68
Clash
Forum Monitor

My Dad, a non-IBD'er became magnesium deficient due to a med he was taking and it was amazing and scary all the symptoms he was experiencing. They all went away once he started supplementing.
dx March 2012 CD

CURRENT MEDS: MTX injections, Stelara

Dx May 2014: JSpA
8/2014 ileocecectomy
9/2017 G tube

PAST MEDS: remicade, oral mtx, humira
12-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #69
David
Co-Founder

Frankly, I don't see how anyone on this forum who doesn't supplement isn't deficient in magnesium. Here are the foods highest in magnesium:

And here is the RDA based upon age and sex:

Source

Just on straight math, how many of you think you are getting enough magnesium?

From the Linus Pauling Institute:
A large U.S. national survey indicated that the average magnesium intake for men (about 320 mg/day) and the average intake for women (about 230 mg/day) were significantly below the current recommended dietary allowance.
I even feel like my brain fog might be starting to lift.
12-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #70
Judith

Wow! Great thread! Thank you for posting. I hope you continue to feel better.
12-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #71
D Bergy

The form of Mg is pretty important. Mg oxide is not well absorbed and is used as a laxitive which probably is not desirable for most of us.

I use Mg citrate as it is more absorbable and I do not need any laxitive effect.

I have read that Magnesium and Calcium should not be taken at the same time. Something about them competing. I have to look into this more.

Dan
12-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #72
David
Co-Founder

I have read that Magnesium and Calcium should not be taken at the same time. Something about them competing. I have to look into this more.
If you find that, could you please post it?

In the meantime I think I'll mix in a 3rd magnesium supplement that is straight Mg (rotating between the three) in case the calcium/magnesium combination isn't optimal like you suggest.

I just ordered a 25lb bag of epsom salts as well. My plants on my farm are going to be very high in Magnesium

Thank you!
12-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #73
Gianni

My Support Groups:
I thought you are supposed to take magnesium and calcium together. I read it helps with distribution of both minerals, regulates blood, and strengthens bones even more than if taken alone...

Would love to read otherwise though.

JUICING! click here!
12-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #74
David
Co-Founder

Something just dawned on me. Since starting the magnesium, I haven't had my usual cravings and I haven't been anywhere near as hungry. Usually I'm in the fridge a LOT, but not lately.

I'm making chocolate chip cookies right now and I'm like, "Meh". And I have a huge vat of soup I made earlier that I haven't touched yet. I'll have some in a few minutes when my wife gets home, but I'm not having to hold myself back from eating it like I usually do when I wait for her.
12-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #75
David
Co-Founder

HOLY CRAP

For the first time in... gosh, how long has it been now? About 18-22 months (I've lost track), I HAVE NO CHEST PAIN. I woke up with no pain from my costochondritis!

At its very worst it was excruciating (I'd say 8 out of 10 on the pain scale) just to breathe. As a 1 or 2 out of 10 lately, it only hurt a little. Mildly annoying but always present.

I'm not ready to say it is gone for good, but this is literally the first time I have not had chest pain in 18 months and I feel like crying. Other than my eye, NOTHING hurts.

I celebrated by having a cookie for breakfast

Lower right gut pain - 0
Costochondritis - 0
Eye inflammation - 3
General aches - 0
Happy Scale - 8

10:40am - Gluten free chocolate chip cookie

11:30 - Homemade soup

12:20 - Goat milk kefir

6:30 - Homemade Soup

7:00 - Gluten free chocolate chip cookie

9:30 - Carrot juice

10:45 - Costochondritis exercises
12-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #76
muppet

I need to look up costochondritis. I frequently have pains that I've chalked up to dehydration and pleurisy...
12-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #77
muppet

Also, I want to come live on your farm. I'm sure you'll be cool with that.

(edit: oops this isn't the sustainability thread. still, though)
12-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #78
FullM3lt
Activate CB2

HOLY CRAP

For the first time in... gosh, how long has it been now? About 18-22 months (I've lost track), I HAVE NO CHEST PAIN. I woke up with no pain from my costochondritis!

At its very worst it was excruciating (I'd say 8 out of 10 on the pain scale) just to breathe.
Awesome!! This gives me hope

I painted a few rooms at my house yesterday and one of my costochondral junctions swelled up like a balloon definitely 8/10 for me

Diagnosed with Costochondritis December 2012

Currently: Asymptomatic

Current Meds: Vitamin D3, Vaporized cannabis oil daily (CBD and THC)

Past (failed) Meds: Prednisone, Mesalamine, 6MP, Remicade, Flagyl, etc...all traditional western medicine has failed me time after time.
12-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #79
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
David is a garage saler!!!! I am a fanatic for garage sales (and thrift stores, and craigslist, anywhere where I can exercise my fantastic thriftiness). Personally I buy cheap clothes at garage sales and then tailor them to be cuter, fit better, etc. I learned how to take clothes in by practicing on garage sale items - if I ruin a shirt that cost me a quarter, it's not a big deal. I recently bought a wool coat for $5 at a garage sale and tailored it (new buttons, removed shoulder pads, chopped off some of the length as it was floor-length). It's so cute now! I'm jealous that you can do year-round garage saleing - here in WI it's a summer thing only.

I'm interested in magnesium supplementation after reading this thread. I don't know if mine has ever been checked but I certainly don't eat many of the foods on that list. Someone mentioned magnesium citrate doesn't cause d - but I could swear I've read that one being used as a prep?? Or am I just confused?
12-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #80
David
Co-Founder

Some minor twinges in the gut today, but not much. Still no costochondritis pain which is AWESOME. My eye inflammation seems to be a little less annoying today thus far as well which is wonderful.

Lower right gut pain - 1
Costochondritis - 0
Eye inflammation - 2
General aches - 1
Happy Scale - 8

~1:00pm - Yoga

2:15 - Homemade soup

9:30 - Gluten free spaghetti
12-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #81
David
Co-Founder

I've decided that I'm only going to do entries when I do something out of the ordinary. I can't see me eating soup and drinking carrot juice for 50 pages being all that interesting or useful. So I'll update with anything out of the ordinary and daily checks of how I'm doing.
12-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #82
muppet

Where do you get your Mg supplements? Why do you rotate them? Alkaline vs acid? Some other ion balancing? Something else?
12-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #83
Gianni

My Support Groups:
It's awesome to watch the progression, even in such a short time Inspiring to say the least.

Gianni
12-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #84
David
Co-Founder

Boy, 6pm rolled around fast. I kept meaning to update for the day but kept getting distracted.

Lower right gut pain - 1
Costochondritis - 1
Eye inflammation - 2
General aches - 1
Happy Scale - 8

I feel great. I moved the costochondritis from a 0 to a 1 because I have been doing a lot of yoga the last couple days and notice in some specific poses, I can feel minor pain/pressure around my sternum. There's still "stuff" there but it's almost gone. I don't feel it 98% of the time, just when I really get in deep. Until that's gone, I don't think it should be a 0. Maybe I should have it 1/4 or something
12-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #85
David
Co-Founder

Where do you get your Mg supplements? Why do you rotate them? Alkaline vs acid? Some other ion balancing? Something else?
I purchased two from my local Whole Foods and my wife already had one.

I rotate them because, despite a lot of research, I don't know which form is best. I take the shotgun approach to my health quite often so when I'm unsure of something, I try to cover various potentials. My preference is not to take any supplemental magnesium but I need to figure out how to get enough in my diet first. That's proving more difficult than I thought.
12-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #86
David
Co-Founder

Not much different today and same ole diet.

Lower right gut pain - 2
Costochondritis - 1
Eye inflammation - 2
General aches - 1
Happy Scale - 5

11:30pm - Milkyway Candy bar. Call it a moment of weakness, reward for doing so well, or whatever, I ate it. I don't mind that I have the occasional candy bar, but I need to eat healthier versions.

Spammers are hammering our server causing slow page load times which I've been battling all day thus the lower happy scale.
12-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #87
David
Co-Founder

Lower right gut pain - 1
Costochondritis - 1
Eye inflammation - 2
General aches - 1
Happy Scale - 7

The happy scale is back up as the server is doing a little better today. Overall still feeling really good. But doing some self-evaluation, I'm doing nowhere near enough yoga and exercise. I plan to do it but something always gets in the way. I'm so busy these days it's hard to find the time to exercise yet it's so important for my short and long term health. It's silly really and needs to change.

*gets up to do some yoga*
12-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #88
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
David, I find that I really need to set aside a specific time/day to exercise. I always lift weights Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I have to start planning hours in advance (I can't have food or anything except water in my stomach for at least 2 hours prior to working out, and I have to start taking Tums at least 30 mins prior to working out, or I will just reflux to the point of puking). So when I get up in the morning, I decide that I am going to work out at a specific time that day (lunch hour or after work) and start mentally and physically preparing myself for it. It takes a lot of preparation, but I think that makes me need to do it more - I get very disappointed if I plan for hours to work out and then I get too nauseous or whatever. So you have to want to work out, and you have to plan for it too. Hopefully you don't need to plan for hours like I do, but honestly it does help me. Maybe lay out your yoga clothes in the morning if you're planning on exercising later in the day? Make yourself a playlist specifically for exercising? Definitely set a time when you are going to work out and stick with it. Don't wear your workout clothes except when you work out - when I put on my workout clothes, it puts me into a different, more serious mindset. It's like I've put on a uniform and that means I've got a job to do, and that job is to get healthy and fit. I've been hitting the gym a minimum of 3x per week (with very few exceptions when I'm feeling really unwell) for a year and a half now and I just keep enjoying exercise more and more (I'm probably addicted to the endorphins at this point). That was probably too long and rambly, but I hope it helped.
12-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #89
David
Co-Founder

Some wonderful advice, thank you Cat!

I decided to ponder WHY I am not exercising while I practiced yoga. I practiced, "Satya" which is one of the "yamas" (one of the eight limbs of yoga) and it means truthfulness. Most people think it refers to being honest with others which I think it does, in part. But I think the deeper side of it is being honest with yourself. It's really hard to be honest with yourself. We love to believe our own justifications and lies. At least I sure do.

Yes, setting aside the time is a big part of it. But there are other reasons too. I've been scared to work out because it hurt so much. I've been scared to exercise because when I come present, I feel my body more and it hurts. So avoided exercise and got weak. Now I'm scared to exercise because it hurts my ego and it's hard to see just how out of shape I am... how far I've fallen.
12-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #90
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I totally hear you, David, I was in the same spot myself. When I started working out in the spring of last year, it was when I was first going to physical therapy for hip arthritis. I had been ill for a long time and had lost a LOT of muscle mass. The physical therapist took one look at me and declared that in addition to both hips being weak (the arthritic one and the healthy one were about equally bad), I also had weak knees, ankles, etc. I was so ashamed, I had no idea I was that far gone! Slowly through PT I learned that exercise doesn't have to hurt, I just have to listen to my body and take it slowly, and if something hurts then don't do that. Hearing how weak I was pushed me into action. I started lifting very light weights twice a week and quickly moved up to 3x per week and gradually increased the amount of weight I was lifting. I tried jogging but I learned that that hurts my arthritic hip, so I don't do it. I can ride my bike, I can do yoga, I can jump rope, I can hula hoop, I can swim, so it's okay that I can't jog. I can do most weight machines - the only ones I typically avoid are the ones that put pressure on the stomach or the ones that are specifically for the abdominal muscles (I can do them on a good day but they just wreck me on a not so good day). And it was very slow going, I had fallen very far too but I kept up with it and never gave up in spite of VERY slow progress. It took me at least 6 months for me to put on enough muscle to get to where most normal non-athletic people's muscle mass is at - it wasn't until after that that I started seeing actual results in the tone of fitter-looking arms & legs, etc. Now, about 18 months in, I know I still have a long way to go (forever really, because my goal is to be as fit and healthy as I possibly can). Every workout feels like a victory, though. Every rep feels like I'm punching illness in the face. Every drop of sweat is illness crying. Working out is the most tangible way to fight my illness - I literally feel like I'm fighting, and I feel SO good afterwards. I have put in a lot of work but believe me, it has been worth every second.

So yes, it's hard work and there's a lot of work to do, especially after you've been ill for a long time and have likely lost a lot of muscle mass and your body doesn't work the way it used to. But it can be done! I did it all myself with just a little initial help/prompting from my physical therapist. But I put in all the work, she just showed me that I was capable of doing the work and also in desperate need of doing the work. You just need that wake-up call, which it sounds like you're in the middle of right now. You can do it! Seriously, I'm like the biggest whiner of all time, and if I can do it I absolutely promise you can too.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Microscopic Colitis » My holistic treatment and diet diary for Lymphocytic Colitis