• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade and Weight Gain

Anyone on Remicade having problems with weight gain? I've gained 25 lbs since starting it. I am, however, switching to Humira, but I've had so many problems trying to lose the weight I've gained. I do 2 miles of interval running (which is as much as I can do right now) every morning and eat 1200 calories a day. I'm still having problems losing weight.

Anyone else?

Anyone on Remicade having problems with weight gain? I've gained 25 lbs since starting it. I am, however, switching to Humira, but I've had so many problems trying to lose the weight I've gained. I do 2 miles of interval running (which is as much as I can do right now) every morning and eat 1200 calories a day. I'm still having problems losing weight.

Anyone else?
Are you on anything other than Remicade?

If you're really eating only 1200 calories per day, that's very low.

Are you at Mac? If so, see if you can get a consultation with a nutritionist. It should be covered through the university health plan.

Had you lost weight due to Crohn's prior to Remicade? People tend to gain back what they lost with good healing of the gut.

I am on Prednisone right now along with it, but the weight gain started when I started the Remicade. I should be off of the Pred in the next couple of weeks, maybe then it'll be easier to lose. I started eating 1200 calories a day TO lose weight because apparently that's the minimum amount I can eat to lose. I had to push off Uni until September because of my crohns. :frown:

Had you lost weight due to Crohn's prior to Remicade? People tend to gain back what they lost with good healing of the gut.
My norm is 135, when I was diagnosed I went down to 120 and then I went back up to 135 when I started getting treated and was 135-140 for a long time and then I started the Remi and shot up 25-30 lbs.

I am on Prednisone right now along with it, but the weight gain started when I started the Remicade. I should be off of the Pred in the next couple of weeks, maybe then it'll be easier to lose. I started eating 1200 calories a day TO lose weight because apparently that's the minimum amount I can eat to lose. I had to push off Uni until September because of my crohns. :frown:
Are you on sick leave? If you are, you may be able to work something out with the university (been there, done that -- at a different one, though). Or ask your GP to refer you to a nutritionist familiar with Crohn's and other diseases that can cause malabsorption.

My guess, from what you've described, is that the weight gain is from the prednisone. Remicade may have healed your guts beyond what the prednisone could achieve, but the water retention and your body's tendency to hoard fat are probably caused by the prednisone -- especially if you have a hump at the bottom/back of your neck, a puffy face, weight gain disproportionately in your upper body, etc. A lot of prednisone weight gain is actually water (there is fat, but it's not all fat. . .), so going on a strict diet may not be the best way to stay healthy.

Prednisone withdrawal sucks and should be done slowly and under medical supervision -- there are lots of descriptions of what it does to different people in different threads in this forum -- but when you get off it, or even on a lower dose, you will likely lose most of that extra weight.

In the meantime, make sure you are eating a balanced diet, staying hydrated, getting enough soluble fibre, etc.

Are you on sick leave? If you are, you may be able to work something out with the university (been there, done that -- at a different one, though). Or ask your GP to refer you to a nutritionist familiar with Crohn's and other diseases that can cause malabsorption.

My guess, from what you've described, is that the weight gain is from the prednisone. Remicade may have healed your guts beyond what the prednisone could achieve, but the water retention and your body's tendency to hoard fat are probably caused by the prednisone -- especially if you have a hump at the bottom/back of your neck, a puffy face, weight gain disproportionately in your upper body, etc. A lot of prednisone weight gain is actually water (there is fat, but it's not all fat. . .), so going on a strict diet may not be the best way to stay healthy.

Prednisone withdrawal sucks and should be done slowly and under medical supervision -- there are lots of descriptions of what it does to different people in different threads in this forum -- but when you get off it, or even on a lower dose, you will likely lose most of that extra weight.

In the meantime, make sure you are eating a balanced diet, staying hydrated, getting enough soluble fibre, etc.
That's great advice, thank you! :)

I have gained weight too, I have also failed Remicade.How long after my last dose do you
think I can lose it?

I sure as heck hope Humira works for me!
And you too!

lauren

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
MissSarie, what dose of Prednisone are you on? What dose did you start at? How long after you started Prednisone did you start to notice the weight gain?

As mentioned my money is on the Prednisone causing the weight gain. It cases a lot of water retention as mentioned and once you're off of it the weight should start to fall off. Even though it has a nasty side effect of weight gain you can't just stop taking it, you must wean off it otherwise you risk Adrenal Insufficiency/Crisis which can result in death.

I'd hold off on any sort of dieting while on Prednisone. Your body needs its strength and nutrition to heal itself. Only dieting you can do to reduce water retention is to consume less salt and avoid salty snacks as salt also helps your body retain water.

I definitely gained weight while on Remicade (I was on it for two years). It was the only medication I was on. The drug really was a life saver for me and for a long time did what I needed done but I started having other reactions to it along with the weight gain. I have been off it now for about 6 months and dropped about 20 pounds and my diet has not really changed much. Unfortunately, I think I am on my way to Humira now with a return of a plethora of Crohn's symptoms as well as being tested soon for Bechets Syndrome. Try not to reduce your caloric intake too drastically (it will slow your metabolism) and I would also suggest reducing or eliminating gluten (that made me feel much better). :)

MissSarie, what dose of Prednisone are you on? What dose did you start at? How long after you started Prednisone did you start to notice the weight gain?

As mentioned my money is on the Prednisone causing the weight gain. It cases a lot of water retention as mentioned and once you're off of it the weight should start to fall off. Even though it has a nasty side effect of weight gain you can't just stop taking it, you must wean off it otherwise you risk Adrenal Insufficiency/Crisis which can result in death.

I'd hold off on any sort of dieting while on Prednisone. Your body needs its strength and nutrition to heal itself. Only dieting you can do to reduce water retention is to consume less salt and avoid salty snacks as salt also helps your body retain water.
I was on 40mg down to 10mg now. I know I have to wean off of it. The weight gain started BEFORE I started the prednisone.

I definitely gained weight while on Remicade (I was on it for two years). It was the only medication I was on. The drug really was a life saver for me and for a long time did what I needed done but I started having other reactions to it along with the weight gain. I have been off it now for about 6 months and dropped about 20 pounds and my diet has not really changed much. Unfortunately, I think I am on my way to Humira now with a return of a plethora of Crohn's symptoms as well as being tested soon for Bechets Syndrome. Try not to reduce your caloric intake too drastically (it will slow your metabolism) and I would also suggest reducing or eliminating gluten (that made me feel much better). :)
:) I did try elminating gluten, but unfortunately it didn't do much for me. I'm gonna be starting Humira soon because I failed on Remicade. I'm just waiting for insurance coverage. I just hope I don't have the same thing happen on Humira.

MissSarie, I will be joining you on the Humira soon. I have a feeling it will be helpful in the long run. I also am seeing a naturopath and trying to add some other supplements. Can't hurt, right? :) Is Humira the last medication on the list for you? It pretty much is for me... also, I see you are in Guelph! I went to University there :D

MissSarie, I will be joining you on the Humira soon. I have a feeling it will be helpful in the long run. I also am seeing a naturopath and trying to add some other supplements. Can't hurt, right? :) Is Humira the last medication on the list for you? It pretty much is for me... also, I see you are in Guelph! I went to University there :D
Yes, it is the last medication I have left. Hahaha, that's awesome about going to UofG. :D

I am feeling 100% better on Remicade but I have gained 10lbs! I tapered off the Prednisone totally and my weight kept on and even went up a little. I guess I'm just absorbing more of what I eat now like a normal person without IBD. Hopefully I don't become overweight! I've never been overweight in my life! The Remicade is really a miracle though- it totally turned off the Crohn's symptoms. Has anyone else had some weight gain on Remicade?