Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » How do you change yours?

01-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
Gav

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
How do you change yours?

Ok, please do your best to forgive me if this has been asked before but...

....how do you change your bag?

I've changed mine standing over the toilet since day 1.

But that is the way I was taught in hospital, and I can see on here that many people have commented about changing over a sink or in the shower, and perhaps these methods have their advantages.

So let me in on the secrets, how do you change yours? And if you made a decision to change it that particular way...why?
01-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
katiesue1506

I just change mine standing in front of my bathroom mirror. I keep toilet paper nearby for any leaks. But I do it this way cause I can use the mirror to see what I'm doing better than using the little handheld ones that come in the starter kits.

Plus I can scatter all my various supplies out over my bathroom counter.
01-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
robbo87

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I change mine standing over the sink. I put some wipes over the sink so that if my stoma decides to start spurting it doesn't cause too much of a mess. I then run the hot water tap and have a good clean, then dry everything off and put fresh stuff on.

I have had to improvise when I've been on camping trips though which has always been interesting!
omeprozol 40mg
codeine x4
laparimide
ferrous sulphate
folic acid

ileostomy, colostomic mucus fistula stoma. gastostromy after recent surgery

tried, prednisolone, pentasa, azathioprine and infliximab
01-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Absentminded
Forum Monitor

I change standing over the sink too, that way if Norman decides to be naughty it just goes into the sink and I can clean up easily after. It also means that I have somewhere to put all my bits and bobs. I've never really used a mirror, it confuses me too much.....

Diagnosed: July 2009

Resection and removal of Enterocutaneous Fistula: Jan 2014
Pelvic infection Drainage: April 2013
Ileostomy reversal: February 2013
Ileocecal resection and temp. ileostomy (Say hello to Norman!): Nov 2012
Current Medication: NONE!

Past medications: Humira, Infliximab, Azapthioprine, Asacol, Budesonide, Prednisolone, Flagyl, Cipro, Cholestyramine (Questran), Fortisips.
01-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
GutlessWonder86
Forum Monitor

I change mine while sitting on the toilet in case my stoma starts going, everything goes right into the toilet bowl. if I'm uncertain about the bag clicking to the wafer, I have a hand mirror that I use to double check if it's connected.
01-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Standing with my supplies on the toilet seat. It's not so bad now our bathroom floor was tiled. I can easily clear up anything that may fall. Have ended up with a splattering on my feet a few times lol

'You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future.'

Diagnosed with Crohn's colitis aged 9, 1992.

Panproctocolectomy and terminal end ileostomy October 2011.
01-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
gracifer

I must be an odd one.. I do it lying on my bed..but currently get help from a parental..
01-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
Nyx

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Sometimes I do it sitting on the toilet and sometimes standing in front of the sink. When I first got it, my stoma nurse said to do it in front of the sink so I could use the mirror to see what I'm doing. I never used the mirror...lol

When I'm in Calgary I do it sitting on the toilet because the counter is right beside me so I can lay all my stuff out and still reach it. At home in Ontario the toilet is way across the room so I do it standing in front of the sink. For the in front of the sink changes, I just keep toilet paper on hand in case Oscar decides to shoot poo around the room...lol

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

01-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
Hobbes650
Forum Monitor

I get everything ready in the bathroom, take it off while showering, then dry off quick and put the new one on. Why do I do it this way? The skin underneath is much easier to clean in the shower. Also, if my stoma gets busy then it's easy to clean up afterwards.

Ulcerative Colitis 1986
Complete Proctocolectomy with j-pouch 1987
Permanent Ileostomy 1991
Crohn's Disease (just inside stoma) 2012
No meds post 1987 surgery to 2012

Current Meds:
Pentasa 3000mg daily
Imuran (Azathioprine) 100mg daily
Folic Acid supplement: 1mg daily
Mulit Vitamin/Fish Oil or Flaxseed Oil daily
Tumeric and Boswelia occasionally.
01-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
Pie-Guy

I was planning to write a thread on this. I have a whole routine that involves paper towels, a hair dryer, a mirror, a razor, hypafix and so on. I haven't had a leak in over 4 years.
I do it in front of the mirror as well. I keep a paper towel right under the stoma and if it starts to get busy I can catch it. I do it first thing in the morning and it usually isn't very active.
I will type out my routine when I get a chance.

Robb
01-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
littlefreebird

My Support Groups:
I was having problems with leaking after a day or 2 after putting a new bag on but I only just discovered that if I put my bag on sitting down it lasts longer. I was really underweight when I got my bag so this wasn't an issue but now I am a heālthy weight and have mini rolls on my tummy when I sit down lol I was leaking in my chubby creases but if put the bag on already sitting down it moulds so much better I've got 5 days out of my bag so far. Always change my bag in the bathroom though.

Crohn's since 2000 (aged 10)--> full colon & rectum removal 2011.
01-19-2013, 01:46 AM   #12
Susan2

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Empty the bag in toilet, get everything ready on bench beside bathroom basin, turn on shower, take off bag, shower, dry with towel then hairdryer, warm base plate with hairdryer, stick on bag.

As I am retired I can usually shower and change bag in the late morning when my stoma is least active.
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.
01-19-2013, 04:48 AM   #13
Gav

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Thanks for the replies everyone

Very interesting, I'm going to try out some of these methods to see they suit me as I'm very much in a minority with the way I do it.
01-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Standing in front of the sink. I use a disposable drape tucked into my pants to catch leaks, but I use the sink while washing the skin around the stoma. I also cover the stoma with gauze after I've washed everything off to catch leaks since Bob likes to go off at all times of the day.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
01-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #15
JennaRae
Forum Monitor

I take a grocery bag, the plastic ones, and tuck one side over my pants so its hanging from my pants open and I can throw all my trash in there while I'm changing. I also fold some paper towels over the side of the bag too so that if I leak the paper towels soak it up.

I stand by the sink and as I take off all the old junk I just drop it in the bag hanging from my pants. While I'm doing this I have the wafer and ring in my bra warming up, lol. Then I open all my new stuff, throw the trash in my pant bag, as I call it, and put it on. Then I take the bag off my pants, throw the paper towel in, close it up, tie it and trash the whole thing.
Tried Asacol, Pentasa, Imuran and all the other usual suspects!
Gallbladder removed
Total proctocolectomy w/ perm ileostomy 10/2012
01-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
While I'm doing this I have the wafer and ring in my bra warming up, lol.
Genius!!
01-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #17
JennaRae
Forum Monitor

Thank you! I figure its pretty warm in there so I might as well make some use of it! Works really well.
01-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #18
Hobbes650
Forum Monitor

Thank you! I figure its pretty warm in there so I might as well make some use of it! Works really well.

Whatever works.
01-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #19
Crohn'sFor Life
Colon Free!

On a little stool in my bath tub. After removing the bag, I use the shower hose to rinse off around my stoma. I then lightly scrub away any adhesive and waste with a sponge and liquid soap. When done I wipe my skin dry and fan myself with a hand fan to ensure that my skin is completely dry.

Colon removed September 26, 2011.
Pathology showed UC instead of Crohn's.

I have arthritis that is very similar to RA, but not RA because I had UC.

Autoimmune related itch.

Meds: 15 mg/week Methotrexate for RA
Cetirizine for the itch
01-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #20
sanni

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I take a grocery bag, the plastic ones, and tuck one side over my pants so its hanging from my pants open and I can throw all my trash in there while I'm changing. I also fold some paper towels over the side of the bag too so that if I leak the paper towels soak it up.

I stand by the sink and as I take off all the old junk I just drop it in the bag hanging from my pants. While I'm doing this I have the wafer and ring in my bra warming up, lol. Then I open all my new stuff, throw the trash in my pant bag, as I call it, and put it on. Then I take the bag off my pants, throw the paper towel in, close it up, tie it and trash the whole thing.
This is how I was taught to do it at the hospital. I can do it this way but I do it sitting on the loo. Great idea with the bra. I may have to try that out.

I spread all my stuff on the bathroom floor on a towel. Then just change the bag while sitting on the toilet. If it sqirts it will go directly into the toilet (exept if i forgot to put a paper on it it will sqirt half way across the room.) Main reason to do it sitting down is at some point i was too week to stand up for that long and would be feeling nausiated after the proses. Now its just a habit.
Meds: Humira and tons of nutrition supliments including B12 and D injections.
Hypokalemia (hypopotassemia) and hypomagnesemia.
My Story
01-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #21
Gav

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Sounds like I'm going to have a good excuse to start wearing a bra. Finally a legit excuse!
01-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #22
Susan2

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Sounds like I'm going to have a good excuse to start wearing a bra. Finally a legit excuse!
01-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #23
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
BWAHAHAHA!!!!!
01-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #24
Nyx

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
We'll be needing pictures of that...just sayin'...lol
01-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #25
Samboi

My Support Groups:
This is really interesting finding out how everybody else does it.
I remove my entire rig and jump in the shower.
Wash it all down. Remove the sticky stuff.
Then jump out, dry off and attach new rig.

Then throw disinfectant on the shower base.
Clean up any spurts with disinfectant wipes.
Done and dusted. Show over.
Trying Vedoluzimab - running out of options
Neupogen
01-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #26
annawato

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
What a great thread.
I sit on the toilet with all my supplies set out ready on a chair next to me. I remove all my lower clothing and tuck my top well out of the way.Then I ensure there is a full roll of loo paper ready to soak up everything. I've never thought to do it any other way because so much poo is continually coming out, but it rarely ends up in the toilet so I'll have to try some of all your ways - may be easier than cleaning all the floor, the toilet and me!
I just need a comfy chair in the bath, since it takes so long, lol.
Jenna Rae your bag trick is brilliant! I've been trying to think of some way to make it easier and that may just do the trick. Also warming the wafer in the bra - I sometimes put it between my thigh and the toilet seat but it gets a bit squished so your idea is much better. (plus it has been known to fall in the toilet)
i only use a mirror for measuring, but my stoma is high enough that I can see where I need to place the bag.

you name it, i've tried and failed it! currently on- waiting to see whats new and reducing pred
temp. ileostomy reversed feb 2011, new ileostomy, nov 2012
4 resections plus removal of adhesions etc, recurrent intestinal abscesses
lyme disease, depression, sacroileitis, chronic pain and......Crohn's..........
01-25-2013, 04:30 AM   #27
annawato

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Discovered another trick tonight when I changed my bag. I always have a problem keeping the skin dry before I put the bag on - usually clean, dry, but barrier wipe on, dry then dribble or spurt so have to do the whole rigmarole again. And again. And again.
Anyway today i thought I'd use the backing plastic from the base plate to check my measurements and then it crossed my mind that if i put that there in between each step it will cover and protect the whole area that matters if it gets wet. I hope this makes sense and isn't so obvious everyone goes, oh yeah:roll eyes:, but it was a real breakthrough for me.
Jenna Rae, i used the old wafer in the bra trick to great success but unfortunately forgot the plastic bags until I had everything off. Next time for that one.
01-25-2013, 04:40 AM   #28
Sandi

I change mine whilst sitting on the sofa watching telly, one way to get my daughter off the telly too, as she won't stay in the room whilst I'm changing my bags lol.
01-25-2013, 04:44 AM   #29
annawato

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Haha Good idea - though can't imagine doing it there myself cos of the mess.
01-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #30
Sandi

Just put a towel across me lap but normally no mess, have got it down to a fine art now on all 3 changes lol.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » How do you change yours?