Share Facebook

01-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
LMV's Gym Thread

So this is a big thing for me because I have never enjoyed exercise, been to the gym only once in my life with a friend.
I've found a gym 5miles away where I can go as concessions while I'm unemployed, which is great! I only have to pay 17.50 for the year, and then 2.50 every time I go, as long as it is off peak times.
I'm not doing this because I want to lose weight (I'm currently underweight). I'm not even that bothered about getting toned to be honest. I'm just hoping doing some regular gentle exercise will make me generally feel better in myself.
I only had surgery three weeks ago so I am definitely going to take it easy.
I have my induction tomorrow! Wish me luck!

Edit: Have changed the name of this thread from "I'm joining the Gym!!"
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/

Last edited by xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx; 04-13-2013 at 05:20 AM.
01-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Price
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Good luck! Remember to get hydrated before you go and take some water with you.

Also, disregard most the information the personal trainers give you on your induction. I don't know why but some of them have no clue :P Just find something you want to do and check youtube and places for videos on form. Even for something like running since doing it wrong can wreck your knees!

Most of all just do whatever you feel like you can do, don't start pushing yourself until you're better from the surgery and know your limits. And good luck again!
01-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
rygon

My Support Groups:
I find the induction to be pretty good. They are mainly there to show how to use the machines safely, not what exercises you should be doing.

Ive had a couple of personal trainers and found them great. Told them what I wanted to get out of the gym and then drew up a plan to help.

I find 30mins to 1hr enough for a session. I wouldnt bother looking on youtube as there way too many people who think they know what they are doing but are totally incorrect.

http://www.bodybuilding.com is an amazing site to help with whatever fitness regime you need, quite a few people on this site use it.

Great deal you have there, I cant believe it is so cheap. Perfect weather to be exercising anyway as its too cold to do anything else :P Enjoy yourself
01-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
Price
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sure they help you see how to work the machine, but for most of them the instructions are written on the side of it :P

And please do check youtube if you are doing anything that isn't simple :P I don't know how you can suggest not looking at it, because it's generally easy to see who is doing it right. For example strength coaches such as Mark Rippetoe have videos up on there. Not looking for the right source can be terrible for you, and some PTs really don't know what's up. I mean there's a PT in our gym who does squats, and after looking at him do them I swear his knees are just gonna blow up one day because his form is so bad.

Honestly if you're going to spend an hour every so often in there you can afford to spend an hour first to make sure you're doing them right, and from reputable sources. Some trainers are good, but other's really aren't. Considering my friend described the course to become qualified as one "a joke", and his life literally is the gym, you have to take their word with a pinch of salt :P

Long post that shouldn't really need to be written, but doing things safetly should be your priority, especially with something like crohns and surgeries! Anyway, good luck!
01-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Good for you, LMV! For what it's worth, before I became ill I hated going to the gym too. I would do certain things like kayaking, but to actually go to a gym and work out was such a chore and a bore to me. Then I got ill and learned what it was to lose my health. When I hit remission I started working out again and found it really fun this time around. I feel SO healthy, normal, human, and just plain good when I work out! Hopefully your experience will be similar. You've definitely got the right attitude - you want to work out, and you're doing it for health rather than to get toned/skinny/whatever. That's why I work out too, to get as healthy as I can so I can fight my illness with everything I've got.

I'm glad you're starting out slow too, that's the best way. Start slowly, build yourself up and gradually do more over time. I primarily lift weights and do some cardio too - when I started working out, I did 2 days a week of very light weights. Over time I moved up to 3 days a week and increased the amount of weights I was lifting. At this point, close to 2 years after I started working out, I'm now up to 5 days per week (3x weights and 2x cardio with some yoga thrown in too). It was very slow going, I had lost a lot of muscle mass from being ill and from being on steroids, but I stuck with it and I have regained my muscles and feel great when I work out. Stick with it even if it's very slow progress - slow progress is better than no progress - and don't compare yourself to what other people in the gym are doing. I can't always do the abdominals machines, for example, but it's okay because I know my body is not like anyone else's in that gym so I just worry about myself and avoid making comparisons to other people. Just do your thing, listen to your body, don't push yourself too hard especially at first. Good luck and have fun!
01-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
mickey

You do need some time to heal, so perhaps the first month only doing treadmill to build up your cardio and tone your body. You will be amazed how it will tone you, slim hips, etc...and easier on your body. Try 20 minutes, in 5 min increments, increasing speed each minute until 5 min, then go back down to lower level and for next five minutes increase, then go down, then back up...time will fly by and the way you are exercising will burn more calories and tone quicker. Again, take it easy, but you will reap the benefits. I have gotten over an illness and for two months have used 20+ minutes of treadmill as workout and feel great. I steam/shower/steam/shower and then sleep like a baby afterward! Hope you feel better soon!
01-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #7

My Support Groups:
Thanks guys! Your encouragement and enthusiasm is spurring me on!
Rygon - I couldn't believe how cheap it was either! The reason I haven't joined sooner is because I don't have a job and I always thought it would be so expensive. I have worked it out and going twice a week like that is cheaper than a real membership for a year, but if I am employed and no longer seen as concessions then it goes up to 4.75 a time, which is more expensive.
I hope I will get into it enough to keep it up, but if I don't then I wont have that money coming out my account every month.
I went out and bought some trainers the other day! (I didn't even have a pair of trainers!!)
Cat - I'm glad it worked for you! I really am hoping it makes me feel better! I'm going to try and get into a routine set days a week to make me go!
Edit: Omg, maybe I'll meet some hot guys in the gym? Does that happen? lol
01-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
Price
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Edit: Omg, maybe I'll meet some hot guys in the gym? Does that happen? lol
Haha, well you can try, although most the time people are too busy listening to music to really look around! The amount of times I have to repeat "Oi mate" before they notice is silly.
01-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
LMV, I have noticed a few good-looking guys check me out while I'm in the gym so it's totally possible. I am married though so obviously haven't gone up and said hi or anything! My hubby works out with me sometimes and he said he's also noticed guys checking me out in the gym. I find it a bit embarassing but it's nice to know I'm still looking good, ha ha.

That is a very good thought about setting a specific time/day to go work out. I do that too and it works really well. If you have an MP3 player, it also really helps to set up a workout playlist. Get some good music going to get you pumped and keep your energy up throughout the workout. Try to eat something right after your workout too, protien is particularly good. It'll help your muscles heal faster and be less sore.
01-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #10

My Support Groups:
So I had my induction! It went well, the guy probably pushed me a bit harder than I would have done (I did tell him I had recently had surgery). But its probably good he pushed me like that because it showed me what I can do. And I'm sure it was still a very gentle work out.
We used the treadmill, cross trainer, rowing machine, bikes and some weight machines.
Now all I have to do is keep going
I didn't see any hot guys but who knows, maybe next time! :P
01-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
rygon

My Support Groups:
well you're certainly going to ache tomorrow (and more the day after :P).
Its important to stretch afterwards for 5-10mins to help loosen all those muscles up.
Where your new trainers ok?

Glad you enjoyed it. If you need any help coming up with a exercise plan give us a shout (it can get a bit boring if you do the same stuff all the time or dont see the gains you would expect).
01-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #12
Beach
Forum Monitor

Word of advice, if your trainer suggests doing romanian dead lifts, you might point out that you have an IBD and some other exercise might be more ideal.

I remember the first time doing that exercise with a trainer. It was easy! I didn't really feel much as I lifted the weight with my back thigh muscles. I pointed that out to him. Weight was then added, of course. That wasn't the case the next morning. I felt sore all over my upper legs and rear! The big problem being that it became difficult to squat for the next few days - a problem someone with an IBD does not want to have.
01-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
Price
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Nothing wrong with romanian deadlifts! Although you should be getting just as much hamstring action from squats if you go low enough :P

Soreness or DOMS you can keep exercising through too, don't be discouraged by it. Your muscles will be less sore after workouts the more you do them. But if it's an injury rather than just soreness you have to stop for a bit!
01-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #14

My Support Groups:
Yes I am definitely going to ache tomorrow! My body feels a little tired.
My trainers were ok! I only noticed them rubbing a little bit while I was on the rowing machine, but they didn't do it enough to cause a blister.
Thanks Rygon, I might take you up on that after a couple of weeks
01-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
zilla7777

My Support Groups:
Awesome job on going to the gym! You might find it kind of turns into your 'sanctuary' when you get used to going. It's nice to go in there, focus on what you're doing and forget about everything besides what you're there to do; to exercise. It becomes a nice stress relief, even if it is designed to physically stress your body.
01-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
How's it going, LMV? Have you been back to the gym? Were you really sore the day after your first workout?

I must say, I re-read your first post - you have to pay $2.50 (I don't know how to make the "pound" symbol!) every time you go? That sounds expensive to me honestly! Is that how gyms work in the UK, you have to pay every time you go? I joined a gym here in the US where I pay a $29 annual fee, and then $10 per month. I can go an unlimited number of times, as often as I want, for that $10. And I go quite often, so paying $2.50 each time would make me go broke really quickly!

zilla7777, I feel the same way - the gym is my sanctuary! Particularly when I'm in the gym alone. The gym I pay for is huge and there's always people there, but there's also a little gym in the basement of my workplace that nobody but me ever goes to. So when I'm in that gym particularly, I can crank up my music and I never have to wait for a weight machine to open up and I'm not self-conscious at all because nobody is there but me. I can just do my thing without a care in the world, it's lovely. It's the place where I feel the happiest and healthiest, and it's the only place where I can forget for a moment about having an illness.
01-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #17

My Support Groups:
Hey, I just went again for my second time, and I'll go next on Friday. It was good. I didn't feel like I was there for very long because I can't do very long on each machine yet! But I will get better
Cat - I actually thought this was a really good deal. Its not normally how gyms work here. I have signed up for casual use. Gym membership is usually about 25-30 a month, which at the moment I cant actually afford being unemployed. That is for unlimited use you can go as often as you like as you described. I did my calculations to make sure the way I was doing it was working out cheaper and it does for going twice a week. If I was to go as often as you did then I probably would need a full membership.
Also, as I have just started, I hope that I am making a lifestyle change, but if it is just a phase then I don't have to worry about 30 coming out my account every month which I'm not using. And that 2.50 is for concessions which included unemployed so I was pleased I could get it cheaper at the moment.
But anyway, my body feels tired, but I feel good in myself. It was nice to get out the house drive off on my own and do something for myself
02-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #18
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Hi LMV, did you go on Friday? How was it? It gets a little easier each time you go, right? Those first few workouts are tough and you'll feel sore afterwards, but don't let that get you down. Keep it up, like you said it is a lifestyle change, and every time you go it is a choice. But believe me, it's a good choice and your body will thank you for it.
02-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #19
Price
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Also interested in how you're doing, I forget how much time passes haha.

I just thought too, have you made any changes to your diet now you've started going the gym? I've no idea what your diet was like before though so I'm not gonna write out a massive paragraph on what to eat yet
02-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #20
Ya noy

I belong to Woman's Workout World, where I only pay $7.99/month for life, includes all the aerobics, yoga and spin cycling classes I could possibly desire, and membership is good at any one if their many branch locations.

When I belonged to Gold's Gym though, for the best "hot" guys, you wanted to get there early in the morning, like between 5-6 am. That's when all the professionals were there, to get their morning routine in before heading out to work. Most guys there during the day were in full-time training for competition, while evenings and weekends was a "meat market" and not in a good way. Gold's gym had better instructors though, including world class champions and professional athletes. It's also where I met my cycling group.

I personally get a better workout from group classes, where I can challenge myself against others and draw inspiration from them.

Hope you find your new gym inspiring as well.
02-05-2013, 05:07 AM   #21

My Support Groups:
Hey!
Yes I went on Friday, and went yesterday as well.
Friday it felt like it was easier, but yesterday felt harder again!
Price, no I haven't changed my diet. I figured if it made me hungrier I would just eat more! But my diet is pretty healthy, I'm a nutrition graduate so I'm pretty clued up on that, but thanks
02-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #22
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I'm glad to hear you've been back a couple of times! I've had experiences like that too, particularly when I was starting out with exercise, where everything would feel great and easy one day, and then the next time I was at the gym everything would be super challenging. Not sure if it's an IBD thing or not. I used to work out semi-regularly before I became ill and I don't remember having experiences like that back then. Who knows! But I will say that I don't really have experiences like that anymore, so I think increasing my fitness has helped insulate me against having those super challenging days. So, keep up with it and it will get easier - not every day will be easy, but generally speaking it will get easier the more you do it.
02-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #23

My Support Groups:
I went to the gym today, and while I was on the treadmill, which I usually do at the beginning to warm up by brisk walking. Today I thought, I'm going to try jogging....
It was a bit of a mistake really because I couldn't get the pace right! Too slow, too fast. Then I realised I'm not as fit as I thought I was and had to take it back down to a walk pretty quickly! And my leg muscles tightened up!
But at least I fancied giving it a go! I must be getting better or I wouldn't have tried!
Anyone got any tips for this?
02-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #24
Ya noy

Running/jogging is something you should work up to gradually.

I still have painful memories of when I joined a few friends on their evening jog around the lake. I hadn't run previously, but aerobicize and cycle long distance, so didn't think a mile around a lake would even be that much of a challenge. At the end, my legs were a little shakey, but I wasn't even that winded, so against my friends' advice, I joined them for a 2nd mile around that lake.

I was fine too, until after we got home. I was sitting on the floor, and my legs cramped up! Charlie horses in both my calf muscles, hard as rocks, and so horribly painful, that I couldn't move and spent the next four hours, rubbing and trying to stretch out my legs. Good thing we were at my house, because rather than attempt to stand, I had them bring me a blanket and pillow, and I slept the night on that floor.

So just work up gradually, don't overdo, and make sure you stretch, both before and afterwards.

Last edited by Ya noy; 02-15-2013 at 11:35 AM.
02-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #25
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I definitely agree with the stretching advice and about working up gradually/starting slowly and not overdoing it. Interval training is good too - you could try walking for a few minutes, then jogging for 30 seconds, then walking again, and so on. I personally can't jog myself, it hurts my hip arthritis too much, so I usually warm up on the exercise bike or the elliptical machine. Those machines are lower-impact (easier on the joints) and don't cause me added arthritis pain the way that jogging does.
02-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #26
Price
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
http://i.imgur.com/1N32GsZ.gif

The more orange man is supposed to be running, even if it looks like he's getting ready for the triple jump. Easy way to get started with running a decent distance/speed

I would've just put the pic up here but it's massive and I don't know how to resize.
02-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #27

My Support Groups:
I did a tiny bit of walking for a bit, then jogging for a bit, and back to walking again. It went a bit better today, but I still feel a bit strange running. Why do my calf muscles feel tight after running? Am I not doing it right? Also tried out some free weights for the first time today as well
I think I might be starting to like that feeling when you can feel yourself working hard.
Unfortunately I'm not going to get a chance to go again this week. My mum is a teacher and its half term this week so she has lots of plans and there isn't another chance for me to use the car.
02-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #28
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
When I tried running, I recall my calf muscles feeling the same way. I don't know why that happens but it is normal and I think it should pass as you get more used to jogging. I'm guessing it's just that the calf muscles aren't used to jogging and haven't been built up enough yet. I would just make sure not to overdo it and also to stretch afterwards.

I'm so happy to hear you say that you are starting to like the feeling of working out hard! That feeling is my happy place, ha ha. When I feel like that, I feel like I'm normal and healthy. When I first started working out, and I'd feel that feeling, it would bring the biggest smile to my face. (Good thing I was usually working out alone back then, because I'm sure I looked completely crazy with a giant smile and sweat pouring down my face!)

As for not being able to go to the gym this week, is there anything you can do at home to work out? You could look up fitness videos or yoga moves online and try some. You could do some pushups, sit ups, lunges, etc. Even 10 minutes with a hula hoop is a surprisingly good workout (and not too hard on the tummy either). Or you could try the jog/walk thing around your neighborhood if the weather isn't too bad. If there are stairs in your house, you could walk up and down the stairs a few times, that's very good cardio. Good luck, I hope you can stay active even without access to a car!
02-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #29

My Support Groups:
Yeah thats a good idea, I have a yoga DVD so I might give that a go!
I have to make sure my cat isn't around though coz he gets all interested and comes over and gets in the way!
I'm not sure if I want to go jogging around the village just yet though! I want to get a bit better at it before I do that!
My dad runs 8 miles a week around the village on a saturday morning and everyone sees him! Its what he is known in the village for.
I've just said to my sister about going on bike rides together when the weather gets nice and she says its a good idea. I don't have a bike but could use my mum's because she doesn't use it. My sister's boyfriend is a bike mechanic and he made her one out of bits he had lying around. He said its probably worth about 600!
02-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #30
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
My pets are the same way! If I unroll my yoga mat, my dog and cat both think it's for them to lie down on. I have to kick them out of the room when I ride the stationary bike too, otherwise they're liable to get bonked in the head with the moving pedals. My cat can take a hint and will go elsewhere, but my dog feels rejected and will sit just outside of the room and sigh sadly until I'm done riding the bike.

And I can relate to what you said about your dad being known for running. My mother is the same way - she runs marathons. She's crazy about it too, she's completed the "50 states club" (she ran one marathon in each of the US states) and now she's trying to run a marathon on each of the continents. Me on the other hand, I can't even run one mile without terrible arthritis pain. I never liked running when I was younger/healthier either because I hated the comparisons between me and my mom. So I get it, I totally do. I like your idea about riding bikes, I love riding mine too. It doesn't hurt the arthritis and I don't get compared to my mother - win win!