Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » Recommended Books for Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, and other forms of IBD

09-19-2012, 12:05 AM   #31
patrickdwayne

The First Year: Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis by Jill Sklar -- an outstanding book that really helped me. I think Jill's own battle with Crohn's is an important part of why I related so much to the book. I would highly recommend it for someone who is newly diagnosed.
Hey i would also suggest this book. its good
09-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #32
Jandeacs

i just ordered it on amazon ...
11-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #33
kss

My Support Groups:
I've just read both The Autoimmune Epidemic by Donna Jackson Nakazawa and also An Epidemic of Absence by Moises Valasques-Manoff. Both books have extensive discussion about IBD and lots of specific mentions of Crohn's. If anyone is looking to try a worm solution then Epidemic of Absence would be a must read.
11-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #34
Jandeacs

Worm ? solution , plz expand
12-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #35
saubertine

I love Cooking for Crohn's and Colitis. A little partial because Brenda Roscher is my Mom. I can tell you that she tested every recipe on herself. She has managed through diet to maintain her basic health, and has still has yet to take prescription medications. (A pepcid complete from time to time.) You can always substitute different veggies in the recipes if one doesn't work for you. I know a lot of people who sub peas or green-beans for the corn if they have issues with diverticulitis. It is a great cookbook that works for families. Kids and everyone else love the recipes, at least with everyone I cook for, and they are great for you. I hope you all give it a chance and try it out.
01-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #36
Alberta_sweetie

My Support Groups:
"Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis, EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW, THE COMPLETE PRACTICAL GUIDE" (third edition, updated and expanded)

by Fred Saibil, M.D

Mount Sinai Hospital "Crohn's & Colitis, Understanding and Managing IBD"

Dr. A. Hillary Steinhart -MD, MSc, FRCP(C) Division Head, Gastroenterology

---------------------------------<3

Great book for all IBD patients, it explains everything you need to know from drugs to diet and about the diseases of IBD.

kisses, Aya
I'm currently reading this and it is so informative!
01-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #37
kss

My Support Groups:
I'm reading Are Your Prescriptions Killing You? by Armon B. Neel and Bill Hogan. It's not specifically about Crohn's but the information is blowing my mind. A lot of the book are case studies about prescription cascades. I've found the book extremely relevant to my experience as a Crohn's patient.
02-13-2013, 02:40 AM   #38
Ruben Stone

Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall
02-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #39
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
What to eat with IBD by Tracie Dellasandro
03-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #40
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
I am convinced there is a link between fibromyalgia and crohn's disease. 5 close friends who hahve crohn's have also been diagnosed with fibro. It could also be that Crohn's disease does cause many of the same symptoms. I ahve noticed posts on many fibro and crohns logs as well so we can't be the only ones.
I agree as I developed it when I was having crohn's symptoms and didn't yet know I had crohn's.
08-30-2013, 04:35 AM   #41
ericwsmith

Inflammatory boweel Diesease By Professer John Hunter
it is amazing he is based t Addenbrooks in the UK .. Where the first heart transplant was done !
Jan ..
I've also heard about Prof John Hunter and his approach to diet-only management of CD--I find the idea quite exciting. Have to admit though, I always thought that the first heart transplant was done by Chris Barnard in Cape Town!
08-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #42
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
I'm reading Are Your Prescriptions Killing You? by Armon B. Neel and Bill Hogan. It's not specifically about Crohn's but the information is blowing my mind. A lot of the book are case studies about prescription cascades. I've found the book extremely relevant to my experience as a Crohn's patient.
With the caveat that everybody is different and that the Crohns diagnosis is now in serious doubt after three years, I am progressing much better after getting off Humira, reducing Pred from 20 to 5 mg, and getting off the Amitriptyline. This was possible as I am working with a naturopath on natural foods and other remedies, together with colonic irrigation. In two months I am better than after three years of drugs and the infections which can come with immunosuppressant medicines.

However, everyone is different. In my opinion the medical approach is tainted by being very approximative. Having said that I would soon reach for drugs if I thought they were the answer and if they had successfully controlled my symptoms.

In my case it seems a misdiagnosis led to a me on a medecine cascade which became a way of life and itself affected my health.
10-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #43
smartjweir

My Support Groups:
Thanks so much for all the book ideas!!
10-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #44
SylvieA

My Support Groups:
Thanks from me to.
10-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #45
John T. Johns

You are very welcome. If you should read my book, The Art of Living Well with Crohn's, I would appreciate knowing if it was helpful.

Sorry for the slow response, I have been on vacation.

John
01-16-2014, 11:31 PM   #46
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
'Living With Crohn's and Colitis-A Comprehensive Naturopathic Guide For Complete Digestive Wellness' Jessica Black,ND and Dede Cummings
01-16-2014, 11:47 PM   #47
UC ME

Thanks for this resource!
02-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #48
SupportiveMom
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm currently reading this and it is so informative!
This has been my go to 'bible' since my daughter was diagnosed. Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis: Everything You Need To Know - The Complete Practical Guide laid it out in language that helped me to make some tough decisions. Now our GI tells parents of patients about it!

Ileostomy surgery July 2015

Current Meds: None!
Previous Meds: Humira, Remicade, Methotrexate, Cipro, Flagyl, Zofran, Cortifoam, 5-ASA suppository, Questran, Mezavant, EEN (Peptamen Jr. 1.5) by NG tube, Antibiotic Cocktail (Vancomycin, Metronidazole & Doxycycline), Simponi, Prevacid, Imuran, prednisone
ibdsupportivmom.wordpress.com ☆
02-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #49
SupportiveMom
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I should add I also bought Crohn's and Colitis For Dummies for my husband. He found it helpful in the way they lay out their books. I have surpassed most of the information in the book, but found myself lending it out to friends/family members who don't 'get' why my daughter isn't better now. It is amazing what lack of knowledge there is out there, and the perception of IBD from some people that don't have it. It isn't rudeness, it is just very limited knowledge, and the for dummies book lets you just read sections that are important without delving into it if it doesn't pertain to you.
04-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #50
jayzipper

I second the recommendation for The Paleo Solution. This book helped me greatly!
06-21-2014, 04:07 AM   #51
dragongball

not specifically geared toward IBD obviously, but is extensively researched and referenced and has sections directly applicable to IBDs as well as other autoimmune diseases.
The author also has an excellent podcast that frequently includes discussion on autoimmune diseases, including CD/UC.
06-21-2014, 05:18 AM   #52
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall
I find this book fascinating.So many of the pages are dog eared and I have book marks stuck here and there.I think it is an informative read and a great reference book.I think it is worth reading even if you do not intend to follow the SCD.
06-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #53
jacktin

My Support Groups:
What to eat with IBD by Tracie Dellasandro
My Nutritionist/Dietician (who specializes in IBD) recommended this book to me! I ordered it and am waiting to get it
06-22-2014, 05:37 AM   #54
dave13
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi jacktin

When I first saw your avitar I thought it was a giant snowman with a scarf.
06-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #55
dragongball

not specifically geared toward IBD obviously, but is extensively researched and referenced and has sections directly applicable to IBDs as well as other autoimmune diseases.
The author also has an excellent podcast that frequently includes discussion on autoimmune diseases, including CD/UC.
08-06-2014, 03:07 AM   #56
WiredNC

Newbie to the Forum, thanks for the help with the reading material.
08-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #57
SmellyMelly

I use these books a lot:

"A Loving Spoonful"
Naturally delicious Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free, vegetarian cooking.
by Jacqui Bushell

"Raw Juices Can Save Your Life"
by Sandra Cabot

"Self Healing Colitis & Crohn's"
By David Klein

The first two for recipes and the third more for inspiration.
11-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #58
Kralr

Shameless plug: I've recently published a journal called "My IBD Journal". I was using it for personal use and thought others might want to use it as well. It has a daily tip, or motivational fact and allows you to track daily symptoms, record food reactions, symptoms, etc. It's helped me discover a few trends I wouldn't have noticed otherwise and makes it much easier to remember everything I wanted to talk to my doctor about each visit. I hope it helps others as well.

I haven't contributed to this forum in the past so I am unable to post a link but searching "My IBD Journal" on Amazon will pull it up as the first result.
02-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #59
Basmah

My Support Groups:
I have been reading more eating healthy books than about IBD Specifically. Some really good ones are "Death By Food Pyramid" by Denise Menger, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall, "Perfect Health Diet" by the Jaminets, and "Clean Gut" by Alejandro Junger. Right now I am reading "The Paleo Approach" by Sarah Ballantyne...I just think the science of the body is so fascinating! My next couple of library requests are more IBD related, so I will let you know if any of them are good
05-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #60
Theradiographer

There are some great suggestions here. I would like to recommend a book I wrote to help kids with a sick parent. It's called, "What Does Super Jonny Do When Mom Gets Sick?" It's about a little boy who loves to dress up as a superhero. When his Mom gets sick, he and his sidekick bear go to the hospital to see what they can do. They meet lots of the staff (and find out what they can do), then he discovers his own superhero power. I wanted to write a story which would leave kids feeling empowered to help. (I also worked with the ministry of education to write a series of questions in the back of the book.) This means teachers now have a way of supporting a child. with a sick relative. It's available on Amazon

Just wanted to add, don't forget if you see a book you really like, you can ask your local library to order it for you. Most libraries will purchase it and then reserve it for you so that you are the first to read it! (AND most libraries allow you to do this on-line!).

Last edited by Theradiographer; 05-14-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » Recommended Books for Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, and other forms of IBD