Share Facebook

03-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #31
Ya noy

Sometimes I watch movies or tv shows on my iPad while on my bike trainer. It fell one day and hit the chain/front chain rings, now I have a scratch on the corner of my screen :-( luckily, I haven't broken it yet, That would make Remicade day dreadful.
I'm wondering how long iPad batteries will last. Haven't had to replace one yet, but probably should have while I had it apart. Takes several hours to heat up the glue and carefully pry the glass off an ipad. It's expensive if you have to take them in for repairs, like $100 to take apart and repair iPods, while iPads run closer to $200 or more, but parts are cheap if you do it yourself. I break almost everything and would go broke if had to pay for repairs.
03-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #32
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I have an iPod shuffle I turn to. However if I am lucky to get my apartment complex gym to myself, there is a stereo in there that I have full control over to blast whatever music I want loudly
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

03-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #33
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Ya noy, you have to heat up an ipad to remove the glass?? That sounds tricky and dangerous - how do you heat the glue without melting or damaging the inner workings? Hair dryer?

Chicago, there's a little gym in the basement of my workplace that is like that too. I'm usually the only one in there, and there's not a stereo but there is a TV & DVD player, so I pop in a DVD with my workout music and crank it up when I'm alone in there. It's awesome to have a gym all to yourself and to be able to crank the music without headphones!

That little gym is my sanctuary. It's so little though (only 8 weight machines) and it's only open during work hours, so I can't use it on the weekends or anything, so I ended up joining a "real" gym too. I like the big gym I joined, it has a lot of equipment, but there's often a lot of people there and I have to rely on headphones. There are a lot of TVs in there too and sometimes really gross shows are on! There's a show called "Man vs. Food" which seems to be a reality show about a guy who goes around to different diners and eats gigantic amounts of disgusting food within a time limit. It's horrifying and it seems to be always on! I don't have cable at home, and going to the gym just reinforces that I don't need cable TV as the shows all seem to be dumb anyway.

Sounds like a lot of us have ipod shuffles! Okay, so super important question - what color is everyone's ipod? Mine is blue! With my blue ipod and blue bike, can you tell what my favorite color is? (<--blue smiley!)
03-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #34
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ya noy, you have to heat up an ipad to remove the glass?? That sounds tricky and dangerous - how do you heat the glue without melting or damaging the inner workings? Hair dryer?

Chicago, there's a little gym in the basement of my workplace that is like that too. I'm usually the only one in there, and there's not a stereo but there is a TV & DVD player, so I pop in a DVD with my workout music and crank it up when I'm alone in there. It's awesome to have a gym all to yourself and to be able to crank the music without headphones!

That little gym is my sanctuary. It's so little though (only 8 weight machines) and it's only open during work hours, so I can't use it on the weekends or anything, so I ended up joining a "real" gym too. I like the big gym I joined, it has a lot of equipment, but there's often a lot of people there and I have to rely on headphones. There are a lot of TVs in there too and sometimes really gross shows are on! There's a show called "Man vs. Food" which seems to be a reality show about a guy who goes around to different diners and eats gigantic amounts of disgusting food within a time limit. It's horrifying and it seems to be always on! I don't have cable at home, and going to the gym just reinforces that I don't need cable TV as the shows all seem to be dumb anyway.

Sounds like a lot of us have ipod shuffles! Okay, so super important question - what color is everyone's ipod? Mine is blue! With my blue ipod and blue bike, can you tell what my favorite color is? (<--blue smiley!)
I have a blue shuffle too, but hot pink is my fav colour.
03-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #35
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
Thats so funny they have man vs food on at the gym! Why would they do that? Does it really help people trying to lose weight?
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/
03-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #36
rygon

My Support Groups:
The gym near me used to have day time tv on, so it was either jeremy kyle or eastenders reruns :s
Luckily they have a small gym at work which I use now which has a running machine, rower etc and some free weights. They got rid of the punch bag which I was so gutted about as I find it the best all round exercise Ive ever used.

Oh yeh, I have an ipod nano (grey)
03-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #37
Ya noy

Yes, hair dryer and as the glue melts, you gently pry up the glass using a guitar pic. You have to be very careful not to bend the metal casing or break any of the attaching wires while you're at it, so it's advisable to watch several youtube tutorials before attempting--so you know all the location s of the wiring. If possible, it's best to practice on a broken iPod touch first.
03-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #38
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
LMV, I don't know why they play that awful show but I swear it's on almost every time I'm at the gym. It's so disgusting. My hubby comes to the gym with me sometimes, and he said that one time, he noticed a very large woman who was just standing in front of the Man Vs. Food TV with her mouth open and she was practically drooling. She wasn't working out, just staring at the TV. So, I guess one person at my gym likes that show! It disgusts me though, I tend to reflux when I'm working out and sometimes I get close to vomiting, and that show really doesn't help!

My gym also does this weird thing, where on the first Monday of every month they have pizza night. They literally bring in dozens of pizzas into the gym, and gym members can just sit down and eat a slice or three for free. That also makes my nausea go wild, just the pizza smell alone is so wrong in a gym! So I avoid the gym on pizza night (it also seems to be the busiest time to go to my gym, apparently everyone but me feels that pizza in the gym is an excellent idea). At least with Man vs. Food I don't have to smell the nasty crap he's eating. Yuck.
03-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #39
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Mine is orange! I also recently bought an electric orange yoga mat. That color makes me feel energized so I decided I need to stick to bright, lively colors for workout supplies/gear lol.

And Ya Noy, I have had my iPod for at least 4 years and never had to change the battery. So I'm guessing they last a long time lol.

And its funny our gym is tiny too but they fit a lot of stuff in there, 3 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, a full circuit weight machine thingy and a benchpress area. Sometimes people bring their laptop, plug it in, sit it on a chair and do DVD workouts in our cramped little space lol. Luckily I have 24hr access to it so I can go whenever and it's never really busy/packed.

03-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #40
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm wondering how long iPad batteries will last. Haven't had to replace one yet, but probably should have while I had it apart. Takes several hours to heat up the glue and carefully pry the glass off an ipad. It's expensive if you have to take them in for repairs, like $100 to take apart and repair iPods, while iPads run closer to $200 or more, but parts are cheap if you do it yourself. I break almost everything and would go broke if had to pay for repairs.
Not sure, I haven't had mine very long. I bought it when I found out I was going on Remicade.
03-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #41
Ya noy

Not sure, I haven't had mine very long. I bought it when I found out I was going on Remicade.
How does Remicade and iPads go together?
03-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #42
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Ya noy, I think she means that it takes several hours for each Remi infusion, so she needed something portable that she could use to entertain herself while having the infusion.
03-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #43
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ya noy, I think she means that it takes several hours for each Remi infusion, so she needed something portable that she could use to entertain herself while having the infusion.
Exactly :-)
03-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #44
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I usually watch the Lang and O'Leary exchange (a Canadian nightly business show) when I am on the treadmill.

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
03-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #45
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
So I just downloaded this phone app called FIG that lets you set weekly health/fitness goals and tally each time you meet the goal on your phone. You can also connect with others you know through the app and offer each other support while you try and reach your goals.

http://fig.com/

I have set mine up and am looking forward to seeing how it works. Hopefully it turns out to be a good tracker because I need something like that to maintain an exercise routine.
03-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #46
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I hope that works for you, Chicago! I got some similar type of app on my Kindle Fire, but it wasn't really good for me. I wanted to lose the Entocort flab when I put this app on, so I told it I wanted to lose 5 or 10 lbs, and it told me that in addition to working out intensely, I needed to eat only 1600 calories a day. I was like, no, that's a starvation diet and I need more than that because I don't absorb all the calories I eat! So I deleted that app and just do it on my own without an app. Anyway, my point is, apps like that are aimed at what healthy people can do, so not everything on there may apply to someone like us. Don't feel bad if you can't do what the app tells you to or if something on the app doesn't really apply to you.
03-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #47
Ya noy

Makes perfect sense, and I should have realized because I bought a Nintendo DS for my mom some years back for the same reason--gives her something to do while waiting in doctor's office and on lab tests. She has an iPad now, but still brings the DS to appointments, smaller and fits better in her purse.
03-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #48
guest 8791

My Support Groups:
What a great thread! I'm excited to join. Like a few others, I'm a runner. I've completed a bunch of halfs, and three marathons - looking forward hopefully to a 10K and a half at the end of March, and my next marathon in October...

Things for me have been a little touch-and-go this week, unfortunately. I've been really getting back into my running routine for the last month or so, but I've been in a bunch of pain this week, and unfortunately, running does not seem to be helping. I did a couple of tempo runs, but I'm on hiatus until at least tomorrow to see if I can manage a long run this week. I have my doubts. UGH.
03-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #49
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
What a great thread! I'm excited to join. Like a few others, I'm a runner. I've completed a bunch of halfs, and three marathons - looking forward hopefully to a 10K and a half at the end of March, and my next marathon in October...

Things for me have been a little touch-and-go this week, unfortunately. I've been really getting back into my running routine for the last month or so, but I've been in a bunch of pain this week, and unfortunately, running does not seem to be helping. I did a couple of tempo runs, but I'm on hiatus until at least tomorrow to see if I can manage a long run this week. I have my doubts. UGH.
I am aiming for an October 26.2 as well :-)
03-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #50
CDwontbeatme

My Support Groups:
Hi! I'm in remission, and I currently run 4-5 days a week, my shortest run being 3mi, and my longest 12mi (I'm doing a half marathon in a couple weeks!). And I do mat pilates at the gym once a week. Trying to incorporate more strength training into my routine -- just a matter of squeezing it in!

When my Crohn's was active, I stopped running altogether because I was afraid to be out on a run somewhere with no access to a toilet. And even after my symptoms were under control, it was about a year and a half before I got back into running -- fear can be a very powerful disincentive! I started back up very slowly in 2011 -- 3 days a week for 20 min doing the run-walk thing (run one minute, walk one minute), and slowly increased the overall length of the workout and duration of the run portion.

I now try to do a race every month -- 5K, 10K, 15K or half marathon. I've been thinking about training for a marathon, but not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger just yet... Has anyone here participated in Team Challenge through CCFA?
Hi! I just started training for a Team Challenge Marathon. I'm planning to run/walk the one in California in July. Yesterday was our first training session & I'm sore but really excited!

I've been in remission since I started Remicade 4 months ago. About 6 months ago I started exercising, and now I exercise 5-6 times per week. I do about 60-75 minutes of cardio - bike, cross trainer, or treadmill. I plan to add some strength training to the mix, and include my Team Challenge training miles. I'm taking advantage of this beautiful remission to get stronger & more active.
03-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #51
D07

My Support Groups:
First of all I just wanna say thanks for a great thread. Im totally new to this forum despite been diagnosed with Crohns -96.

I started training- particularly lifting weights, 2 years ago and it has really changed my life, have been able to increase my bodyweight with 25% and have been a lot more healthy. When Im under the iron Im in my own world and all daily problems and issues just disappear and it gives me a higher sense of purpose doing something just for me and forget about the disease etc.
I have also noticed that it is a great way for me to take care of myself without having to focus on the Crohns. The benefits for the Crohns comes along with better meal plans, rest when possible, thinking a little bit more on myself than before and time for myself. It has got me to think over my life- in particular my career choices and for the first time I have stopped for a moment and asked myself if I really wanna do the things I do for a living.

What I have noticed though is a lack of understanding from people around me, just because I have changed my physique etc they dont understand that I am still ill. I mean the classic "you dont look ill". I am grateful for that-because I will never let this disease take over, but when I suddenly get a flare up (fever, stomach pain etc) it seems that its hard for people to tolerate and understand.
Hmm sorry, seems like got off the topic here a little bit, but to keep it short; training has changed my life and I am looking forward to read your posts.

Regards
//Daniel
03-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #52
Beach bum

My Support Groups:
Hi Daniel , yes I agree exercise is a great way to make you feel better and take back control of your own body.

It is funny but people used to compliment me all the time on how great I looked when I was ill ( 5 foot 5 at 8 and a half stone ) I looked quite good in clothes but actually hated what was underneath a thin weak body that seemed to want to self destruct.

Since starting treatment 6 months ago, I am back up to 10 stone but I am so much healthier. I guess all those people now think I have let myself go again hehe but nothing could be further from the truth. Now I run , row and do circuit training.
I have my curves back and even more importantly my health.
Juicing every morning.
Taking vitamin D spray
Multi vits & iron
And Probio 7 probiotic.

Being given a "drugs rest" from Aza - 17/9/14
03-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #53
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I hope that works for you, Chicago! I got some similar type of app on my Kindle Fire, but it wasn't really good for me. I wanted to lose the Entocort flab when I put this app on, so I told it I wanted to lose 5 or 10 lbs, and it told me that in addition to working out intensely, I needed to eat only 1600 calories a day. I was like, no, that's a starvation diet and I need more than that because I don't absorb all the calories I eat! So I deleted that app and just do it on my own without an app. Anyway, my point is, apps like that are aimed at what healthy people can do, so not everything on there may apply to someone like us. Don't feel bad if you can't do what the app tells you to or if something on the app doesn't really apply to you.
I'm using the Daily Mile to track my run streak distance. I haven't quite figured it all yet though. But I am now at day 10 and feeling great.
03-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #54
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Did 7 sets of 2 and 1's (run 2 minutes and walk 1 minute) tonight on the treadmill
03-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #55
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Beach Bum, I love your attitude. I saw a saying online the other day, it said "Strong is the new skinny." That's pretty much how I feel too, I'd rather be strong than be a size xxs because I'm losing weight from being ill. Admittedly, when I was ill and flaring regularly, I would buy clothes (because I sure wasn't spending much money on food!). I don't fit into most of those clothes anymore - those size 4 skinny jeans aren't even close to zipping up! But I feel so much better inside and out now than I did when I wore those jeans. Yeah, I have a bit of Entocort flab left over, but I feel great and I look human instead of borderline skeletal - and I feel human again too.

Hi Daniel, welcome to the forum! I'm glad you found us, and I like your attitude too. I also find that I can forget about being ill for a little while when I'm working out, and that's possibly the best feeling in the world. Can I ask, what career choices/changes have you been thinking about?

Welcome to all the other new members of this group as well. I'm so glad to see that so many of us are working hard to become more fit & healthy. With an illness like this, it sometimes seems easy to just give up, but I'm never giving up and I'm so glad that you guys aren't either! We rock!
03-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #56
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
Hi guys, I just wanted to know your opinions on resistance tubes.
I'm thinking of buying some to use at home. But I don't know much about them.
These came up on amazon, but they are only 45cm long! Is that long enough? I have seen diagrams where people stand on them and stretch them up to their ears and you can't do that with 45cm!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007X4MM9...hvptwo=&hvqmt=
I think these ones look better: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fitness-Mad-...2512820&sr=1-7 But how do you know which strength to get them in? I know I'm only just starting out but I don't want to have to buy new ones pretty quickly.
03-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #57
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi guys, I just wanted to know your opinions on resistance tubes.
I'm thinking of buying some to use at home. But I don't know much about them.
These came up on amazon, but they are only 45cm long! Is that long enough? I have seen diagrams where people stand on them and stretch them up to their ears and you can't do that with 45cm!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007X4MM9...hvptwo=&hvqmt=
I think these ones look better: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fitness-Mad-...2512820&sr=1-7 But how do you know which strength to get them in? I know I'm only just starting out but I don't want to have to buy new ones pretty quickly.
I have resistance bands, they came in a set of three, three different resistances. I used them a few times, but the novelty wore off quick for me, I prefer to go to the gym.
03-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #58
jbpharmd

My Support Groups:
Hello, I would like to be added to this thread. Before I got diagnosed with crohns, 2000, I was a fitness buff. I used to teach aerobics and worked out daily for 90 or more minutes. Then, all of a sudden, I got sick and my muscles and fatigue stopped letting me go through a workout. I really need to get back into exercising to decrease stress and increase my endophin levels. I used to love the "exercise" high. I could get so much more done each day. My crohns has been very hard to treat during the past 6 years and I am not able to work. I don't have much energy to do anything and even showers wear me out. But, I feel if I can make baby steps to the gym again and just make myself get there that the atmosphere will take over and I can do a little at a time. I used to care what others thought and couldn't bare going to the gym with the poor shape my body is in. I just don't care anymore. If I have to walk at 2.0 speed then that is better than sitting at home on the couch. What really got me thinking was when I couldn't even cut a spaghetti squash for the SCD last week. I am even to weak to carry our cast iron pot to the stove when it is filled with food to be cooked. I have to prepare this when my husband is home. How do you guys weight train if you are not getting proper nutrition from the foods you eat? This may only be a question for a few of you. I have had my ileum removed and have lost over 50 lbs in a year, not trying too. Most of this weight has come off over the past few months. I am not absorbing much food. Had to have iron transfusions, Vit B 12 therapy, etc. My albumin is still ok but he hasn't checked my prealbumin nor Mg, Zinc, etc. Just know Vit B 12 is very low and iron was really low but should be improving. Last Vit D level was ok but about yr ago. My MD's just want listen to me. I am staying hungry but cant eat with this stomach feeling (no appetitie) and D all the time. Any suggestions? I do stretching but have not tried yoga.
03-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #59
Beach
Forum Monitor

LMV - Hmm...I wish i was still seeing my gym trainer. He could me his experience working with different bands. Well, there were times when my trainer would have me work out with different resistant bands, whether with legs or on the arms. As a guy it was surprising at how well the bands could work at making me sore. I didn't expect that. They really hit the stabilizing muscles. The way most of us look at lifting and toning up at the gym is to use as heavy of weights as possible. What I found, using resistant bands seemed to be a good way to stress muscles well and avoid injury.

I don't have an opinion on length to purchase. With resistance weight to choose, I found with light bands, I would take my time with the exercise. Instead of going quickly, I would move slowly, up to a minute for each movement. Doing that did well at engaging all the muscles. Some refer to this as Slow Burn lifting. I suppose it was a good cardio workout also as it got the heart pumping. I probably got into shape quicker when I did slow burn workouts, compared to when I lifted regularly.

The heavier bands worked well for me also. I would use them at regular speed when going through the exercise, shaking the whole way through.
03-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #60
Beach
Forum Monitor

jppharmd - Sorry about the tough times you are experiencing! I hope that you are able to stabilize the gut in some manner, in the near future to regain some energy.

I think what started my journey back into the gym was basically learning to walk around the neighborhood. There for awhile I was so ill the idea of leaving the house, being far from a toilet, wasn't possible. Slowly I was able to stabilize the gut. When that happened I started out doing walking exercises and biking too around the neighborhood. Used to joke about knowing where friendly neighbors lived incase I need to pound on a door in a bath room emergency. Then after that I joined a gym and hired a trainer. The trainer was great in keeping me motive and encouraged on the ruff days. Now I suppose I'm probably ready for the next step, working out on my own.