Share Facebook

03-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #61
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
jbpharmd, in your situation I would think something like yoga could help, but I wouldn't do anything more strenuous than that. As for gaining/maintaining your weight, have you tried supplement drinks like Ensure/Boost? I never have any appetite in the mornings so I usually have a supplement drink for breakfast. It's got calories and vitamins, although most of those drinks are full of sugar, but I do think it's done me some good. If you have a juicer, you could also try juicing - that will remove all the fiber from fruits/veggies but you'll still get all the vitamins. Smoothies might be a good idea too, I've heard some people say they add things like peanut butter to smoothies to get more calories. I hope that helps - hope you can get things under better control soon. Hang in there!
03-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #62
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I thought my workouts would suck today after my infusion yesterday. But I rocked them! I felt awesome.
03-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #63
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Yay Alli, that's great! How many km are you up to in your streak?
03-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #64
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Total cumulative km's since I started the streak, 69km. Weekly totals still pretty low; base building, increasing a little more each week. This weeks total will be 40km, last week was 35.
03-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #65
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Total cumulative km's since I started the streak, 69km. Weekly totals still pretty low; base building, increasing a little more each week. This weeks total will be 40km, last week was 35.
Sounds good. My treadmill doesn't track mileage - I think it needs batteries and I am running inside so I don't have the distance tracking of the garmin

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
03-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #66
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Hawkeye, your treadmill has a battery powered display? My exercise bike has that too, and that seems so weird to me! I can plug my bike in or put batteries in it - I got it used on craigslist though so the previous owners had lost the cord, so batteries it is. It just seems silly to me - I am pedaling (or in your case walking) on the thing, can't they use that pedaling power to run the display & odometer?? Oh well, I've had the bike since the fall and haven't had to replace the batteries yet, so they last for awhile at least. It still seems really silly to me though.

Alli, that doesn't sound low to me! Well done, keep it up! How's the hip feeling, have you had any more pain or is that improving any?
03-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #67
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The weather has warmed up, so hip has been fine :-)
03-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #68
lizzy16
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi! I was moderately fit before I was diagnosed with Crohn's in late 2011, my biggest problem was motivation as I could be quite lazy sometimes. I pretty much stopped exercising for a year when I was diagnosed, not only was I very ill a lot but I was living abroad so I wasn't interested in paying gym fees. I also was a bit depressed and blamed the cold UK weather for refusing to do free exercises like jogging.

I got back to Australia in October last year and joined the gym; I've been going 2-3 times a week. My motivation is better because I want to have a strong, healthy body to fight this disease. I've been going to combat classes, cycling, swimming and doing weights with a personal trainer (I've had to stop seeing her as it's quite expensive on top of the weekly fees).

My Crohn's has been up and down, I'm currently on Imuran but I've become dependent on steroids and every time I finish a course of Pred the disease becomes active again - my Humira application is currently being approved.

I did a bone density test last week as I've been on and off Pred for a year - my hip scan showed osteopenia and my lower back scan is borderline osteoporosis - I'm only 28! My GP advised me to cut back on exercise until I get advice from an endocrinologist next week. Does anyone else have this issue?

I've been researching bone-strengthening exercises and it seems the good weight-bearing cardio workouts are walking, hiking, dancing and climbing. Lifting weights is very good. Swimming and cycling have little impact on bone strength, and situps or crunches are a straight-up no no for weak backs. Does this seem right? I'm keen to go and do some light exercise tomorrow, maybe the stair climbing machine at the gym.

Glad to have this support group to motivate me!

Diagnosed with Crohn's colitis October 2011
150mg Imuran
Started Humira 40mg 26/03/13
Vit D Supplement

"There's nothing you can do that can't be done."
03-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #69
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Lizzy, I have a bad hip too (some type of arthritis) and I'm only 33, so I feel for you. I was told to exercise it, though. My GP sent me to physical therapy for it, and from there I started working out on my own. Lifting weights is indeed great for bone-building and is my favorite type of exercise. The only forms of exercise that seem to hurt my hip are jogging and sometimes walking. I can do the bike and the elliptical without my hip giving me pain, so even though they're maybe not the best type of cardio for bone-building, they are low-impact and are helping me build up my cardio abilities, and aren't doing me any harm.

My GI actually advised me not to lift weights anymore, because I have severe GERD and lifting makes me reflux like crazy sometimes. But I told him how much better I'm feeling thanks to exercise and he relented and just told me to be careful. Hopefully the endocrinologist can give you some good advice. Personally, I don't see how any doctor can say "don't exercise", that just seems reckless to me. If you're not in any pain when you exercise, it's most likely doing you a lot more good than harm. Just my opinion though!
03-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #70
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Spoke too soon about my hip, weighted march this morning with my squadron, hip sore again. :-( will still run again this evening though, the streak must live on.
03-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #71
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Lizzy, I have a bad hip too (some type of arthritis) and I'm only 33, so I feel for you. I was told to exercise it, though. My GP sent me to physical therapy for it, and from there I started working out on my own. Lifting weights is indeed great for bone-building and is my favorite type of exercise. The only forms of exercise that seem to hurt my hip are jogging and sometimes walking. I can do the bike and the elliptical without my hip giving me pain, so even though they're maybe not the best type of cardio for bone-building, they are low-impact and are helping me build up my cardio abilities, and aren't doing me any harm.

My GI actually advised me not to lift weights anymore, because I have severe GERD and lifting makes me reflux like crazy sometimes. But I told him how much better I'm feeling thanks to exercise and he relented and just told me to be careful. Hopefully the endocrinologist can give you some good advice. Personally, I don't see how any doctor can say "don't exercise", that just seems reckless to me. If you're not in any pain when you exercise, it's most likely doing you a lot more good than harm. Just my opinion though!
My GI is awesome, his wife is a personal trainer, and he cycles too, so he totally gets my need to exercise and never tells me not to. I see a NP rather than a GP, though she reports to a GP and consults with him if required, and she has given me a stern finger wagging about working out too much on occasion. She goes to the same gym as me, so I can't hide it from her.
03-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #72
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
That sucks about the hip, Alli. I hope it feels better soon. My bad hip seems to ache every time it has snowed this winter (with one exception, so I never really quite know what to expect!). It was supposed to snow this weekend but now it's warmed up a bit so they've changed the forecast to rain instead of snow. I honestly don't know if my hip will act up or not with the rain - it'll be intersting to see what it does!

That would be weird if my doctor went to the same gym as I do! I've never seen my GP outside of an appointment, and the only time I saw my GI outside of an appointment was when my hubby had kidney stone surgery. Apparently they put the kidney stone patients in the same recovery area as the colonoscopy people (there were farts all around, ha ha!) and my GI was in that area of the hospital that day. My hubby felt terrible after his surgery and looked awful, and my GI walked past us and saw me. Then he saw my husband and was like, "Wow, is he okay?" Now at every appointment, my GI asks about how my hubby is doing. (He's fine, just had a bit of a rough recovery from the surgery.)

I'm getting way off topic now, but I was going over our bills this morning, and next month we'll finally have hubby's kidney stone surgery fully paid off! It took almost 2 years but I'm so excited to have one less bill!

Okay, back on subject. Anybody have fun workout plans for the weekend? I was going to walk my dog (she loves snow) but now that it's going to rain instead, that's out the window. I'm hoping to lift weights tomorrow and do either cardio or yoga on Sunday.
03-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #73
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
We have had so much rain today! The roads were all wet and all the grass is waterlogged and muddy. - just continuing on from cat's rain thing!

Now for my question!

For those of you who ride bikes/exercise bikes - when does it start hurting in your muscles?

I was at the gym today and I did the bike first and my legs basically started hurting straight away! I could push on through for the full 10mins I wanted to do - it wasn't unbearable, but I just wondered what it is like for you guys who do it long distances/long time.
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/
03-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #74
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
That sucks about the hip, Alli. I hope it feels better soon. My bad hip seems to ache every time it has snowed this winter (with one exception, so I never really quite know what to expect!). It was supposed to snow this weekend but now it's warmed up a bit so they've changed the forecast to rain instead of snow. I honestly don't know if my hip will act up or not with the rain - it'll be intersting to see what it does!

That would be weird if my doctor went to the same gym as I do! I've never seen my GP outside of an appointment, and the only time I saw my GI outside of an appointment was when my hubby had kidney stone surgery. Apparently they put the kidney stone patients in the same recovery area as the colonoscopy people (there were farts all around, ha ha!) and my GI was in that area of the hospital that day. My hubby felt terrible after his surgery and looked awful, and my GI walked past us and saw me. Then he saw my husband and was like, "Wow, is he okay?" Now at every appointment, my GI asks about how my hubby is doing. (He's fine, just had a bit of a rough recovery from the surgery.)

I'm getting way off topic now, but I was going over our bills this morning, and next month we'll finally have hubby's kidney stone surgery fully paid off! It took almost 2 years but I'm so excited to have one less bill!

Okay, back on subject. Anybody have fun workout plans for the weekend? I was going to walk my dog (she loves snow) but now that it's going to rain instead, that's out the window. I'm hoping to lift weights tomorrow and do either cardio or yoga on Sunday.
I can't take B vitamins either. Never tried folic acid individually, but the B multis always make me feeling run down and I suppose nauseous. I did try NAD a few times, but it didn't seem to help my condition.

This weekend I'll be watching one of the most beautiful sights in all of the world, melting snow! For exercise excitement plan on playing tennis. It probably would be nice enough for outdoor hitting this weekend, but figure few courts will have nets up at this point, and they will be wet from all the melting white stuff - so indoor it is. Should be hot and muggy, with a Florida feel to it, at the University in door center. They don't have good air circulation there. Gut is doing very well, energy levels are up, so I'll undoubtably work some other workouts in the next couple of days. A friend has suggested I take up karate in the future. Figure if I stay healthy, might have to do that. Tough classes though, 90 minutes on the feet running around.
03-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #75
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
LMV, can you give more detail about your legs hurting? Like, is it just that the muscles are tired to the point of pain? Are the muscles sore because you worked out recently and maybe they haven't recovered yet? I wouldn't say my legs have ever actually hurt when I ride the bike - they get tired/fatigued sometimes, and sometimes if I ride too long (40 minutes +) then my left knee hurts - but the knee pain is the only actual pain I really get when riding. What kind of pain would you say it is - like a crampy pain, or sharp & stabby, or dull & achy? Do you get this pain frequently when you ride?

Beach, there are outdoor tennis courts near my house and I'm hoping to get over there in the springtime and play a bit too. I am sure I will be terrible though because I haven't played actual tennis in years! But the hubby and I sometimes play virtual tennis on the Wii and it's fun, so we got some second-hand tennis rackets. If we can just steal a tennis ball away from our dog for a bit, we could play. As for karate, I would love to learn some type of martial arts as well. I've always been a skinny un-coordinated girl and I would be totally useless if someone tried attacking me (please nobody attack me!), so I'd really like to learn some way of defending myself. Now that I'm in fairly good shape, I really should look into some martial arts classes. Thanks for the reminder!
03-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #76
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Cat - I've always wanted to learn karate. Never had the energy to do so though. Maybe I'll get lucky, fingers crossed and I'll be able to take this up. It was a surreal moment I suppose, but cute story on how my friend became involved in martial arts. After work he met up with some buddies for a drink. While there a rodeo clown came up to him and tried to pick a fight! Must have been a ruff day with the bulls. He and friends were able to calm the guy down, but it was a close call I was told. So in the interest of roaming wild rodeo clowns, figure it might not be a bad idea if I learn some self protection. Additionally, my oldest nephew is getting big! I'm going to need to be nice to this young man. Without learning some self defense, I'm liable to be the one yelling uncle.

It wasn't always this way it seemed - if that makes any sense, but I've noticed a good many couples playing tennis of late, that seem to be into tennis for fun instead of being all that great and competitive at the sport. It is cute, the couple that has the court reserved before we play seem confused on what sport they are playing at times, badminton or tennis. They are all smiles when I see them.
03-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #77

My Support Groups:
It must just be like achy muscles. I'm wondering if I have the resistance too high if I pretty much feel it straight away, especially since I'm only really just starting. But all I have done to set the resistance is put in my weight. It then asks for a level between 1 and 20 and I always put in 1.
But I worked out today I was riding at about 10mph and I could still keep it going for the full 10mins.
Also- the bike I ride at the gym isn't as upright as an actual bike is. Because those ones I can't get the seat low enough for my little legs. This one is where your legs are more forward as if you were in a pedalo. I can usually feel it in my lower abdomen. Would that make any difference?
03-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #78
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Beach, I giggled at the part about the rodeo clown. That sounds like as good a reason as any to learn self-defense! As for nephews, my oldest nephew is turning 7 this year so I think I can still take him in a fight, ha ha. I have 4 nieces and nephews though so if they all gang up on me, I might be in trouble!

Yeah, I'm sure hubby and I will be that clueless couple at the tennis court. Hopefully nobody else will be around to see us being silly and terrible at tennis. The tennis courts in our neighborhood don't seem to get much use, so with luck nobody else will be around when we attempt to play.
03-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #79
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
LMV, so it's like a recumbent bike (where you kind of sit back in the seat)? I have a stationary recumbent bike and I find it to be pretty comfortable, I think it's easier on me than a regular exercise bike.

If it's achy muscles, give yourself another day or so to recover before trying the bike again. Also, you probably already know this, but it helps your muscles recover faster if you eat right after working out, and I've read that protein is the best. I usually work out either just before lunch or just before dinner, and either way I eat right after. I have noticed that I feel worse if I put off eating for awhile after working out.
03-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #80
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Day 14! I've got to keep on moving.... :-)
03-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #81

My Support Groups:
Yeah its one of those! I didn't know what it was called.
Before I did it today I hadn't done it since Monday! Yeah I usually go before lunch as well. Its also good to have some carbs too to restore the muscle glycogen.
03-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #82
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Alli, you can do it! 2 weeks down already, you've got this! Go Alli go!

LMV, I pretty much live on carbs so that's good to know! If you do the bike regularly, I promise it will get a little easier each time. I try to ride the bike every other day (with weights on the non-bike days) so I'm building myself up pretty well. I can do an hour on a hill program on the bike now which is difficult but I can pedal the whole time! I sweat like crazy and I get so out of breath that I can barely speak (if I'm using my exercise bike at home, then sometimes I have to yell at my pets to stay out of the room because I don't want them to get bonked in the head with a pedal, but I get so out of breath that I can barely get the words out!). But I can do it even though it's not pretty, and it does get a little easier each time. I'm going to ride the bike tonight and am hoping I can do 12 miles in an hour! I did 11.75 last time so now I would love to do 12.
03-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #83
lizzy16
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hey thanks for the replies, I do think my GP was being a bit over-reactive when she said to stop exercising - she's a lovely doctor but very, very cautious (I guess this is better than a doc that doesn't care at all?? And I do have a fabulous GI specialist who gives me very practical advice).

After all, I've been working out 2-3 times a week for 4 months with no injuries, and this was before I started taking calcium/vit D supplements! So I'm still going to the gym but obviously I will be aware of my situation and take any advice the endocrinologist has. I don't have any pain, if it weren't for the scan I wouldn't know I had low bone density. So I'm going to keep it up, be cautious and try to be as healthy and strong as I can!
03-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #84
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hey thanks for the replies, I do think my GP was being a bit over-reactive when she said to stop exercising - she's a lovely doctor but very, very cautious (I guess this is better than a doc that doesn't care at all?? And I do have a fabulous GI specialist who gives me very practical advice).

After all, I've been working out 2-3 times a week for 4 months with no injuries, and this was before I started taking calcium/vit D supplements! So I'm still going to the gym but obviously I will be aware of my situation and take any advice the endocrinologist has. I don't have any pain, if it weren't for the scan I wouldn't know I had low bone density. So I'm going to keep it up, be cautious and try to be as healthy and strong as I can!
Exercise can help with your bone density, it stimulates the hormone signal to increase calcium uptake. Just be careful, obviously if you are at risk of fracturing a bone, you might want to take it easy, but not exercising at all is probably not going to help your bones.
03-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #85
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I hit day 15 today and ran 12km. I woke up with a really sore lower back from the ruck march yesterday, but running actually made it feel better. My hip was sore this morning too, but it didn't hurt while I ran.
03-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #86
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Day 16, total distance this week, 40km. Total streak distance, 87km. Third successful week back to running. Next week's goal, 45km.
03-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #87
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
That's awesome, Alli! Very well done!

I ordered a chin-up bar online. This might have been a silly purchase because I don't know if I can even do one chin-up. I wanted to have more exercise equipment around the house though and that sounded like a good one to try. Hopefully it wasn't a waste of money.
03-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #88
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have a very funny story involving an at-home chin-up bar. It resulted in me having a concussion, fractured fibula and a sprained wrist.
03-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #89
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Eek! Alli, methinks you are being sarcastic when you say it's a funny story!
03-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #90

My Support Groups:
Ooh Alli do tell!

Also, I was going to ask you about your streak. How are you deciding how much to run each day? Do you have like a min for each day, or do you do more one day and then less the next and so forth?