Share Facebook

03-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #31
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Or maybe modern day chickens are a long way from what our ancestors would have eaten. Many people who are unable to cope with modern day wheat, which has been heavily modified, seem to be able to cope with spelt, the ancient ancestor of our wheat.
True, and the older grain products seem to be becoming more popular of late, stocked more often at stores I've noticed.

Different, but thinking about with out modern animal raising, that is one idea I've tried also, wondering if what the animal ate could effect my IBD condition. Unfortunately, range free chicken and eggs was not a help for me.
03-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #32
Susan2

My Support Groups:
Yes, grass fed beef and lamb is preferable, I think. Unfortunately, grass fed beef, especially, is very difficult to find and very expensive here in Australia. I eat mainly lamb, and wild rabbit when I can, and fish.
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.
03-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #33
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I updated E's stats. His c-rp is still elevated but it is lower than it has been in a while so I am happy to see it (hopefully) going down.

His C-RP was 28.3
Enteral Nutrition
03-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #34
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
What fattening foods do you eat to ensure a healthy weight? One if my reasons for stopping paleo was the incredible weight loss.
03-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #35
plaidknitter

My Support Groups:
I've been having trouble sticking with paleo/SCD because I haven't been able to get enough calories. I can't eat beef, pork, or any dairy (allergies), which cuts out a bunch of paleo/SCD options. I also have to keep my nut intake on the lower end, because too many nuts irritate my stomach.

Avocados are pretty high in fat and are delicious.
03-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #36
rollinstone

Oh how I miss bread, I'm thinking of incorporating spelt bread into my diet, I was hardcore SCD for like 4-5 months, then after breaking it with a week of nothing but fortisip as by suggestion of a silly dietician I decided I need not be so strict, so I brought in rice puffs (organic, very clean ingredients) I Havnt had any problems with them at all, thing is iv been on pred basically the whole time so it's hard to tell the efficiency of the diet but I figure it definitely couldn't be harming me. Gotta admit though, I miss pizza so badly, though I know if I treated myself to one I'd crave it so much more often... What I need is kwalker baking me up some apple crisps etc haha
03-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #37
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
What fattening foods do you eat to ensure a healthy weight? One if my reasons for stopping paleo was the incredible weight loss.
Now that E can handle them he eats lots of peanut butter, nuts, and cheese
03-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #38
KWalker

Same here. I recently made peanut butter fudge using peanut butter, coconut oil and another ingredient (that isn't coming to mind) and each piece is around 400 calories and I usually eat 3 at a time because they're soo good! lol

Previous Meds:
Prednisone
Remicade
Humira
Methotrexate (oral)
Methotrexate (injections)
Cipro
Flagyl

Current Treatment:
200mg Simponi, Psyllium
03-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #39
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I was eating lots of avocados, bananas, starchy veg and coconut oil while paleo but still dropped an enormous amount.

I only started gaining weight once I are dairy and wheat again. I'd like to be on one of these diets but it doesn't seem to work for me weight wise.
03-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #40
KWalker

How's everyone still doing? Hanging in there?
03-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #41
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Well, I guess I have some news to report about my diet. I've more or less made a switch from SCD eating to a paleo diet the other day. The reason for doing this was, I've been well most of the time to the gut since January. The problem being that during this time I had little energy. I ached too. I even stopped exercising recently.

So I thought of changing things up a few days ago. I decided to stop eating beef and dairy items, rich in probiotics. And ever since doing this I've been ill to the gut! The strange thing being that now, despite being ill, I have good energy, the aches and pains are gone, the gut feels good, and I'm looking healthy. I can't win!

At this point I'm thinking it would not be a bad idea for me to keep exploring the avoidance of beef and dairy. Some consider those two foods to be the top allergens for westerners. Figure this current stomach issue will pass, and when it does hopfully I can get back into working out.

I've tried avoiding beef and dairy in the past, for up to a month. Figure it would be a good idea if I try a few month avoidance of the two foods and see what it does for me. I'm also slowly ramping up the eating of probiotic rich foods, outside of dairy.
03-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #42
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Beach, what does this look like for you? As opposed to SCD you are eating ......? (Potatoes, sweet potatoes?) I am just curious.

Keep us updated
03-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #43
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks Charleigh - I'm eating the same as before when I was well since January, just minus beef and dairy products. I do eat sweet potatoes.

Since doing that dietary change I became pretty ill to the gut as of a few days ago. Curiously the muscle fatigue I have been experiencing has gone away. Energy levels have risen nicely also, thankfully. My appearance has improved too, as I appear less run down. So this has me thinking maybe I'm experiencing a beef and dairy allergy. Hard to say. There are several different possibilities of what could be going on. Hopfully the stomach will improve over the next few weeks and overall I'm pretty happy about the muscle fatigue leaving and energy levels rising since avoiding cow products. Hard to believe also, but since being ill my weight has actually gone up a few pounds. And my pants are looser. Possibly I'm less bloated? Ugh... strange body.

Life would be easier if I had been born with an instruction manual.
03-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #44
CrohniePilot

My Support Groups:
I'm over a month in now, and feeling great. My stricture seems to have relaxed some, and my energy is wayyy up from before. I am noticing that sone arthritis i had a few years ago is back though. Cant figure out why that is, am i missing a nutrient i used to get? I am juicing fruits and veggies quite a bit, and eating cheese, nuts, and some white meat. My diet is probably way more well rounded than before, but i have to wonder.

Anyway, i'm pretty convinced that the SCD is working for me.
03-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #45
KWalker

I'm so happy to hear you guys are having success with your diets! Beach, I have to loosen my belt now too! lol. I haven't lost weight but I feel different in my stomach
03-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #46
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks KWalker. I've been enjoying the last couple of days being able to sit and not feel bloatedly uncomfortable.
03-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #47
Ya noy

True, and the older grain products seem to be becoming more popular of late, stocked more often at stores I've noticed.

Different, but thinking about with out modern animal raising, that is one idea I've tried also, wondering if what the animal ate could effect my IBD condition. Unfortunately, range free chicken and eggs was not a help for me.
Free range alone is not quite the same as also grass fed, which makes a big difference in the taste of the chicken. The yokes of the eggs also seem darker, more orange than yellow.

The last few Thanksgivings we've also gone with heritage turkeys, which are free range, grass fed, but also smaller and a lot more expensive, but a lot more flavorful. Very little breast meat because heritage turkeys can actually fly, and mate normally. Most turkeys are artificially inseminated, the gigantic breasts they've been breed to produce can also prevent them from getting close enough to each other to mate.

The taste difference between even just a fresh chicken or turkey and one that's been frozen is enormous. Fresh poultry is just more tender, juicier, and requires little to no basting or added flavoring. Even the gravy from the giblets tastes better.
03-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #48
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks Ya noy. I agree.

I typically have not eaten eggs or chicken of late. It's been a food of concern. I'm thinking now I might have been wrong with what was going on. I guess I'll find out over time. I ate my first piece of chicken since at least January this morning, after working out. It was delicious! Always did enjoy chicken, even if it didn't like me.

Picked up some locally produced free range/ grass fed chicken and eggs yesterday from a local health food store. I remember you mentioning that you are of Asian ancestry - the store is owned by a Thailand immigrant. He's a character, fun to talk with. In the past he has let me know I should buy more of these local farm eggs, as the chickens feast on the Japanese beetles, along with other items, probably grass. Doesn't sound appetizing! I'm not thinking this to be a good sales pitch for most customers! But have to admit, the eggs and chicken are delicious, and the fewer Japanese beetles flying around the better as far as I'm concerned.
03-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #49
Ya noy

Thanks Ya noy. I agree.

I typically have not eaten eggs or chicken of late. It's been a food of concern. I'm thinking now I might have been wrong with what was going on. I guess I'll find out over time. I ate my first piece of chicken since at least January this morning, after working out. It was delicious! Always did enjoy chicken, even if it didn't like me.

Picked up some locally produced free range/ grass fed chicken and eggs yesterday from a local health food store. I remember you mentioning that you are of Asian ancestry - the store is owned by a Thailand immigrant. He's a character, fun to talk with. In the past he has let me know I should buy more of these local farm eggs, as the chickens feast on the Japanese beetles, along with other items, probably grass. Doesn't sound appetizing! I'm not thinking this to be a good sales pitch for most customers! But have to admit, the eggs and chicken are delicious, and the fewer Japanese beetles flying around the better as far as I'm concerned.
No, I'm not Asian, but rather German, Russian and Croatian. Probably got that impression from my username, which was actually an iPad "autocorrect" error, lol! I may have mentioned that my sister-in-law is Korean, and we use a lot of her family recipes, shopping for ingredients at Asian food marts.

We can't try any new recipes right now while my husband's undergoing allergy testing to pinpoint exactly what caused him to develop Stevens-Johnson syndrome. For now, chicken is the only meat he can eat. We still make our own bread, but for now now, he's still only allowed to use white flour. Can't wait until he can go back to eating real (primarily paleo) food.

We can actually buy organic paleo bread at our local deli, made with almond and coconut flours. Very tasty.

We buy our organic, grass-fed chicken from a local farmer who actually has a chicken coop on wheels, that they move every night so the chickens have fresh grass to graze on each day. Chickens also eat worms and other bugs, but we just view it as part of the "circle of life."
03-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #50
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Well, I guess I missed that one! Actually too, the other day I met a lady from Vietnam named Noy, so that might have played a part too. I hope your husband is able to find an answer as to what's going on! It is nice with all the alternative diet foods now available in stores. I've seen some purist express concern over "paleo" prepared foods sold in stores - but I think that to be great, and very convenient.
03-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #51
Ya noy

I've heard paleo "purists" say that as well, but the paleo bread is made with only 6 ingredients, all of which are also SCD legal, and it's also gluten, grain, yeast, dairy and soy free.

Thr only ingredients are almond and coconut flour, water, organic apple cider vinegar, psyllium, egg whites, and baking soda.

At 7.99 a loaf, it's not cheap, but not outrageously expensive either, and really helps fulfills cravings for REAL sandwich bread. It can also be ordered from their website: https://www.paleobread.com/

The coconut version is also nut free, so it works for almost any diet except vegetarian/vegan.

Last edited by Ya noy; 03-23-2013 at 10:33 AM.
03-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #52
CrohniePilot

My Support Groups:
Just ordered some of that bread! Thanks!
03-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #53
rollinstone

Same here. I recently made peanut butter fudge using peanut butter, coconut oil and another ingredient (that isn't coming to mind) and each piece is around 400 calories and I usually eat 3 at a time because they're soo good! lol
Can you post the recipe bro?
03-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #54
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
If you get a chance, let us know what you think of the paleo bread! I'm hoping it tastes good and goes down well.
03-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #55
CrohniePilot

My Support Groups:
If you get a chance, let us know what you think of the paleo bread! I'm hoping it tastes good and goes down well.
Absolutely!
03-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #56
Ya noy

Hope you used the discount coupon code for March, to save $5! The coupon code is 1776

(See "retailmenot" link: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/julianbakery.com )

If you like the bread, you can use it on your next order, and I'd love to know what you think of it.
03-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #57
Ya noy

Hope you used the discount coupon code for March, to save $5! The coupon code is 1776

(See "retailmenot" link: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/julianbakery.com )

If you like the bread, you can use it on your next order, and I'd love to know what you think of it.

And rather than ordering from their site, you can input your zip code into this locator, and see whether there are any stores close by you that carry their breads -- http://www.julianbakery.com/locator/

Most people seem to prefer the one made strictly with coconut flour over the one made with both almond and coconut flour.
03-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #58
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Looks great but if you are on the east coast then shipping is ~ wow! You have to ship 2nd day air and shipping alone for 3 loaves is $20
03-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #59
Ya noy

Looks great but if you are on the east coast then shipping is ~ wow! You have to ship 2nd day air and shipping alone for 3 loaves is $20
Wow! That's outrageous. There is a coupon for $5.95 for shipping if you buy 6 loaves, and you can freeze them.

But there's 6 delis that sell these breads in my immediate vicinity, closest is only 3 miles from my house.
03-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #60
Susan2

My Support Groups:
We still make our own bread, but for now now, he's still only allowed to use white flour. Can't wait until he can go back to eating real (primarily paleo) food.
Is your husband allowed white spelt flour? It makes lovely bread and, being an ancient grain, causes far fewer allergies than wheat.