Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Ask the Experts » Submit a Question » [ANSWERED] Is Prednisone a Poor/Bad Treatment for Crohn's Disease?

04-02-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
Jennifer
Adminstrator

[ANSWERED] Is Prednisone a Poor/Bad Treatment for Crohn's Disease?

I've heard it mentioned a couple times on the forum that Prednisone is not a good medication/treatment for people with Crohn's yet works for people who have UC. I know that it can cause more harm when taken long term such as bone loss etc. but does it actually promote perforation and fistulization or other complications? If so, how?

This is where I originally heard about it:
"...steroids would be reasonable if you have UC. Steroids should be avoided if it is Crohn's as it promotes perforation and fistulization. I always tell my Crohn's patients that 9 out of ten times, you will get a Crohn's patient better with steroids at the cost of a ton of side-effects; however, nine out of 10 patients with complications were on steroids." http://www.crohnsforum.com/showpost....44&postcount=5
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
04-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
David
Co-Founder

Cool Jennifer. How about we ask is this way:

"Does use of steroids in Crohn's disease increase the chance of perforation, fistulae, and/or other complications? A medical doctor who posted once on our forum stated,

"Steroids should be avoided if it is Crohn's as it promotes perforation and fistulization. I always tell my Crohn's patients that 9 out of ten times, you will get a Crohn's patient better with steroids at the cost of a ton of side-effects; however, nine out of 10 patients with complications were on steroids."

Would you agree with this?
04-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Catherine

My Support Groups:
Is this part of same question?

Does prednisone used make the healing of fistula with medication more difficult or less likely?
Small bowel to small bowel fistula

Meds: ), azathioprine 200mg, Mesalazine 1.2g x 2, seretide 250 x 2 (asthma), ventolin (as needed)

Currently no supplements.

Has previously taken Multi B, Caltrate, B12 & Iron

Prednisolone (from 30 mg 01/02/2012 to 17/06/2012, 30mg 24/10/12-28/12/12, 50mg 24/1/13-27/4/13)
04-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
Jennifer
Adminstrator

That sounds fine David. Starting to become a longer question but I think Catherine's question could easily be cleared up as well if added.
04-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
David
Co-Founder

Is this part of same question?

Does prednisone used make the healing of fistula with medication more difficult or less likely?
I've copied this to its own thread to be asked as a separate question.
04-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
David
Co-Founder

This question has been answered here.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Ask the Experts » Submit a Question » [ANSWERED] Is Prednisone a Poor/Bad Treatment for Crohn's Disease?