• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

[Submitted] Parents with young IBD patients

sawdust

We have a very active Parents forum at crohnsforum. For young patients, who might not yet be able to express some of the complex symptoms or disease manifestations an older patient might be able to, could you suggest some particularly helpful observations that parents might keep in mind for the benefit of the gastroenterologist?

Last edited:

David

Co-Founder
Sawdust,

To clarify, are you wanting our experts to suggest symptoms/signs parents should keep an eye out for and notify their GI about if they present?

sawdust

That would be good to ask as well. I was thinking we could ask the doctor what information they might not always know in pediatric cases, but they would value as very useful if they did know it. That way, parents would know that it might be important to note or communicate to the doc.

I'm sure there are more subtle things we will learn, but for instance, if the doctor said that lethargy or fatigue was something to note, then parents would have in the back of their mind that this might be of importance to the GI and maybe prompt them to keep track or write it down. I suppose I was thinking of non-emergency symptoms.

I don't know. My heart just aches for the young ones and parents. :hug: It was the best question I could think of without having more direct experience. I hope we get lots of questions from the Parents subforum.

David

Co-Founder
We have a very active Parents forum at crohnsforum. For young patients, who might not yet be able to express some of the complex ideas an older patient might be able to, could you suggest some particularly helpful observations that parents might keep in mind for the benefit of the gastroenterologist?
How about changing, "Ideas" to, "symptoms" or, "disease manifestations"?