• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Iritis/arthritis question

Last year I was dx with crohns. I had iritis and have it again which means I'm flaring but what has me baffled is the arthritis. It seems like it comes and goes. I do have erosion in my neck, knees and lower back, but I am 48. My hands just started to hurt in December. I went to see my gp and I tested neg for HLA-B27. I was sure that would be positive. Negative on all the RA tests and ANA. Actually sed rate was normal when my hands still hurt. Most pain is annoying except for my neck which can really hurt. Has anyone had experience with this type of arthritis and iritis and tested negative for everything? :confused2:

Hi Mables3,

I related to your post because I too have Crohn's, iritis, arthritis & neck pain.

I had a neg RA test too recently. Nevertheless, I'm convinced I have it.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's over 20 years ago. It get's easier to manage.

Good luck.

I had iritis when I was first dx 21 yrs ago. My eyes are still sensitive to the bright Sun. My ANA was normal then too. My joints hurt mostly in my hands My GP and GI say there is nothing wrong, I am only 49, you should see my hands!

Lauren

It's good to know I'm not alone. I was surprised to see the negative HLA-B27. Hopefully, that means the arthritis won't be so bad(sure). This has been a weird experience. I felt perfectly healthy and thought I had IBS, then it all went south last year. It's strange how your body can turn on you so quickly. Lauren, I'm in the same boat as you. Three kids and a smelly dog. I worry that I passed this down to them(my mom has UC). Thanks again.

Oops, meant to continue the comment.. Iritis was my initial and most severe presenting symptom ( Dx Crohn's colitis)
I also have recurrent arthritic joint pain (esp SI joints and costochondritis
Am HLA B27 negative for what it's worth..

HD

Hi Ellie, We sound very similar. I've always had stomach issues, but the Iritis was what got me the colonoscopy ASAP. I guess I can stop rummaging around looking for something else and just throw it all under the Crohns bus. My gums also become inflamed when I'm flaring. It's how I measure whether or not there's inflammation coming on. Thanks

It's good to know I'm not alone. I was surprised to see the negative HLA-B27. Hopefully, that means the arthritis won't be so bad(sure). This has been a weird experience. I felt perfectly healthy and thought I had IBS, then it all went south last year. It's strange how your body can turn on you so quickly. Lauren, I'm in the same boat as you. Three kids and a smelly dog. I worry that I passed this down to them(my mom has UC). Thanks again.
I worry I did too :( my mom also has UC. How are you managing the arthritis? Mine is affecting my life.