Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Pain on right side under rib cage

04-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
sickofsick

Pain on right side under rib cage

I have been having a pain on my right side under my rib cage and not sure what it is. I was thinking maybe my gall bladder or liver? It hurts all the time, but I notice it more after I eat. It also feels like something is protruding, but I don't mean when I feel it with my hand, but visually in my head is what I mean when I try to picture the pain. Does anybody else have this problem or had it before? If so could you please guide me in the right direction about what to do or what it is?
Thanks
04-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
mainekitty

Are you diagnosed with Crohn's? That sounds a lot like my pain when I have inflammation in the terminal ileum.

Crohn's Disease since 1997
04-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
sickofsick

Are you diagnosed with Crohn's? That sounds a lot like my pain when I have inflammation in the terminal ileum.
I'm sorry. Yes I have Crohn's and everytime something different starts it makes me feel like I'm going to die from thus disease and it just scares the crap out of me. Fear is my worst enemy. I will have to do some research on terminal ileum. Not sure what exactly that is. I have read alot about my disease, but I don't remember if I read about that part or not. I was dignosed in 2006 with Colitis then in 2008 with Crohn's.
04-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
mainekitty

I think it's essentially where your small bowel ends, and it's a really common place for people with Crohn's to get inflammation.
04-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
sickofsick

I think it's essentially where your small bowel ends, and it's a really common place for people with Crohn's to get inflammation.
Oh ok so what did they do for you to fix the inflammation or should I say give you? I appreciate the info too:>)
04-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
mainekitty

Well your doctor may want to run tests to see whether that's what it actually is, but both times I've had it confirmed, I went on steroids for a short time and that took care of it. Good luck - I would definitely talk to your doctor about it. Are you getting any other symptoms?
04-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
sickofsick

Well your doctor may want to run tests to see whether that's what it actually is, but both times I've had it confirmed, I went on steroids for a short time and that took care of it. Good luck - I would definitely talk to your doctor about it. Are you getting any other symptoms?
I have to make an appointment for my anual this week. It has been three years since I had a colonoscopy. The last two times I had them they kept my in the hospital and I don't have insurance, so that is why I have not been to have one in three years.
Not any other symptoms except for joint pain so bad I can barely walk when I get up. I have never been so weak in all my life. I take a really good multi vitamin and I thought that would help but it hans't.
04-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
PVail

My Support Groups:
Ok so this is a classic sign that something is wrong in your Gastro tract . The pain you feel is more than likely spasm although right under the rib cage is the location of the Gaul bladder and also the general area of a few other important organs.
First thing is go and see you doctor , while your waiting for your appointment start a food diary . Write down what you eat each day . Highlight what gives you discomfort and how long after eating. What happens next do you get diarheoa and is there and blood or mucus. I know this all sounds gross but keeping a diary of your daily goings on will be very helpful for your doctor and it will help you identify some trigger foods.
Joint pain does tend to go hand in hand with IBD and so does lack of energy . If your intestines are inflammed then they will not be able to absorb the nutrients form your food so you will feel knackered. Also if your passing any blood you will feel very tired as you will be anemic .
Go see your doctor and they will surely help you even just treat the symptoms in the meantime.

DX March 2012 IBD - Inflammation of the Terminal Ileum with inflammed appendix
Asacol 800mg 4 x day
Amitriptyline 50mg
Omeprazole 20 mg when needed.
04-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #9
Hope345
Forum Monitor

You could also have an inflammed stomach (Gastritis).
what meds are you taking right now? Some meds are extremely hard on the stomach and you might need to take an otc med to help the lining of your stomach (dont want to get ulcers from the meds).

I agree, you should see your GI and find out what exactly is going on.

Hope you get it figured out soon.
Daughter (age 17) diagnosed with Crohns Colitis/UC 1/2012 Mod/severe changed to U.C.: 11/7/2014 anemia:blood transfusion current: Flare, weaning from Prednisone, still bloating: Meds ,Pentesa: 2000mg twice daily, Vegan diet, mesalamine enemas .Previous: mercaptopurine, Remicade (13 treatments), Imuran, prednisone ), Flagyl, iron infusions, cortifoam,
Continue to be hopeful
Daughter: age 21, undiagnosed: GI issues
04-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #10
afidz
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
What does the pain feel like? is it continuous, dull, sharp? is it more like a spasm?
Ankilosing Spondylitis
Inflammatory Arthritis

Failed meds:
Humira
Remicade
Asacol HD
Cimzia
Methotrexate
04-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #11
sickofsick

You could also have an inflammed stomach (Gastritis).
what meds are you taking right now? Some meds are extremely hard on the stomach and you might need to take an otc med to help the lining of your stomach (dont want to get ulcers from the meds).

I agree, you should see your GI and find out what exactly is going on.

Hope you get it figured out soon.
Thank you:>) I only take Lialda and I take 2/day.
04-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #12
sickofsick

What does the pain feel like? is it continuous, dull, sharp? is it more like a spasm?
No not continuous, just off and on. It is very dull, not sharp. It doens't feel like a spasm.
04-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #13
afidz
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Here is a link for possible side effects, some of them require medical attention so take a look
http://www.lialda.com/lialda-side-effects.aspx

Last edited by afidz; 04-20-2013 at 12:35 AM.
04-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #14
sickofsick

Ok so this is a classic sign that something is wrong in your Gastro tract . The pain you feel is more than likely spasm although right under the rib cage is the location of the Gaul bladder and also the general area of a few other important organs.
First thing is go and see you doctor , while your waiting for your appointment start a food diary . Write down what you eat each day . Highlight what gives you discomfort and how long after eating. What happens next do you get diarheoa and is there and blood or mucus. I know this all sounds gross but keeping a diary of your daily goings on will be very helpful for your doctor and it will help you identify some trigger foods.
Joint pain does tend to go hand in hand with IBD and so does lack of energy . If your intestines are inflammed then they will not be able to absorb the nutrients form your food so you will feel knackered. Also if your passing any blood you will feel very tired as you will be anemic .
Go see your doctor and they will surely help you even just treat the symptoms in the meantime.
It doesn't feel like spasm. I hahve had spasms before and that's not what it feels like. I will start a diary now so I can tell my doctor what I'm eating. Yes it is gross, but the facts. I'm used to it. Thanks for then info.
04-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #15
sickofsick

Here is a link for possible side effects, something require medical attention so take a look
I don't see the link.
04-20-2013, 12:21 AM   #16
afidz
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
sorry! I forgot to add it, its there now!
04-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #17
sickofsick

sorry! I forgot to add it, its there now!

Thanks a bunch. I appreciate it. I'm going to check it out now.
04-20-2013, 12:30 AM   #18
Angie4567

My Support Groups:
Lialda, a UC med, has the 'side effect' of UC! Great, I take Lialda....

Thanks for the link, Afidz.

-- Latest diagnosis Jan 2013 - Crohn's Ulcerative Colitius
-- IBD, or something, since first scope in Jan 2008 (Dr is never sure)
-- Mother is a Colon cancer survivor - 10 years!
-- Meds - Lialda, 2.4 Gr, twice a day (Dr wants 6MP, getting 2nd opinion on that first!)
-- OTC: Multi vitamin, 2,000 IU Vit D, 1500 IU Calcium
-- Over 50 yrs old
04-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #19
afidz
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
yea, isn't that awesome! not to side track this thread, but in Novemeber I was taking Asacol HD. It gave me "D" and bad joint pain (I was in remission) . A week later I was in the hospital with pancreatitis.
04-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #20
Hope345
Forum Monitor

Thank you:>) I only take Lialda and I take 2/day.
Yes, that is the one that causes gastric ulcers. Our daughter was put on
presciption Ranitidine while she took it.
Gi should prescribe it for you
04-20-2013, 01:16 AM   #21
Angie4567

My Support Groups:
Holy Cow! I will ask. I take 'Ranitd'... OTC as needed.
04-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #22
sickofsick

yea, isn't that awesome! not to side track this thread, but in Novemeber I was taking Asacol HD. It gave me "D" and bad joint pain (I was in remission) . A week later I was in the hospital with pancreatitis.
I used to take Asacol too. Then when it quit working they put me on Lialda. What were your symptoms of Pancreatitiss? Just curious.
09-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #23
sickofsick

Ok I'm finally back. I have Crohn's and have had it since 2008. Went to my gastro doctor and had an ultra sound done last week to find out what the pain is under my right rib cage and the doctor said my kidneys look fine, liver looks fine, I have gall sludge, not actual stones and he cannot tell me what the pain is from. I don't know where to go from here. It always hurts and never goes away. Does not matter what I eat either. The only meds I take are Lialda and Nutrient 950 daily vitamins from the health food store. I don't take anything else, no over the counter medicines or anything. Can anyone out there tell me if they have experienced this without finding any results? It does not make sense to me that it hurts, but nothing is wrong? I am really getting aggravated with this and would love to find somebody who just might have an answer. I hope I didn't forget anything.
09-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #24
afidz
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Did he check your pancreas?
09-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #25
sickofsick

Nope he sure didn't. I'm just scared because I keep thinking it is cancer or something like that. I don't know if cancer shows up on an ultra sound or not. I forgot about the pancreas.
09-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #26
afidz
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
when my pancreas acted up the pain was horrid. It would radiate through my back and I would have intense spasms under my ribcage. I have never felt anything like that. and it was a mild case
Is Crohn's flaring for you right now?
09-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #27
sickofsick

Wow, the pain is uncomfortable, but it is not unbearable so it may not be the pancreas. I have had kidney stones before and that is definitely some unbearable pain.
No my crohn's is not flaring at all.
09-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #28
Hope345
Forum Monitor

could it be gastiritis? this could mean that your stomach lining is very irritated or that you might have Crohns in your stomach as well. Sometimes you can have gastritis without having Crohns in your stomach.

Gastritis:Gastritis occurs when the lining of the stomach becomes inflamed or swollen. Gastritis can last for only a short time (acute gastritis), or linger for months to years (chronic gastritis).
09-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #29
sickofsick

Crazy I know but I have never heard of gastritis and I have done alot of readimg on Crohn's too. I guess I will have to check on that as well. It makes it very hard not having insurance trying to pay for all these tests they want me to do.
09-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #30
Ckoenig

Sick of Sick you remind me of me

I think it easy to let our heads run away with our worst fears when we get a strange and sometimes miserable symptom. I have HUGE health related anxiety, I have been doing a lot of cognitive reframing on my own to try and not panic now when I get symptoms. This is as far as the psychological aspect.

For the physical though I was just diagnosed I am surprised you have Crohn's and are not being treated with medication besides for lialda?

The pain you are describing also sounds to me like something terminal ileum related and I say this only from my experience. I get pain under my rib cage in various places often. In the beginning because often stomach trouble would follow I thought I was having a heart attack or dying. I still get sharp pains here and there in various areas and yes usually under the cage on the right or left like beneath my breasts. My pain however comes and goes and definitely worsens when my stomach is acting up. If I eat something that upsets me it will feel as if I am having a heart attack.

I am on entocort steroids. They target specifically inflammation of the terminal ileum. I am 3 weeks on them and felt awful the first couple of weeks, but now this week I have felt good and am crossing my fingers that it is working!

I would suggest if it has been that long since you had a colonoscopy that you have another to check?

When you were originally dx'd where did they say your crohn's is located? And how did it present?

Other than that, hang in there yeah? it is not easy to have pain and not know why and go about your day to day life in a regular fashion. Be kind to yourself and it looks like (being on here) you are already taking some excellent positive steps toward working through things and getting the information you can to feel a little more at ease.

Mother of Tyler (13) Twin Girls Rian (11) Victoria (11)
My girlfriend is amazingly supportive!

Dx'd with Crohn's Disease 8/29/2013 6 inches of diseased terminal illeum. As of December 2014 currently in remission!

Humira as of Dec 18
B-12 injections monthly
2,000 iu Vit D daily
250 mg florastor probiotic 2 x daily
.25 Xanax as needed

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Pain on right side under rib cage