Share Facebook

05-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #301
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Managed to get out for a run last night. Registered for a 5K this weekend, might end up walking a fair bit of it depending on how I feel. Ankles feel tight tonight - gotta stretch

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
05-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #302
Little Bear

My Support Groups:
It's really impressive the attitudes and drive from everyone here I am aiming for the commonwealths in a couple of years maybe Olympics if things go my way I've read a lot of posts about endurance sport but less so on fast twitch fibre sport and exercise.
05-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #303
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Little Bear, that's really cool! It will be interesting following your journey. Keep us posted as you move forward, it would be neat to watch you in the Olympics!
05-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #304
Beach
Forum Monitor

It's really impressive the attitudes and drive from everyone here I am aiming for the commonwealths in a couple of years maybe Olympics if things go my way I've read a lot of posts about endurance sport but less so on fast twitch fibre sport and exercise.
Good luck Little Bear with your training! I was read the other day something that might be of interest. Dr. Cannell wrote a book called "The Athlete's Edge, Faster Quicker, Stronger with vitamin D". In his book he details Eastern European and the former Soviet Union Olympic athletes use of UV light to greatly improve fast twitch muscle strength.

What was interesting to me is how UVB light use differed from taking vitamin D, reaching a therapeutic dose above 50ng/ml. I've read that around a dozen other substances are created in our skin outside of vitamin D when UVB ray strike us. Little is known about these other substances. Apparently though they are helpful with fast twitch muscle use.

Along similar lines, was reading tomorrow that a Scottish study is to be released about UV ray exposure. It is expected to show that UV exposure, avoid being burnt, significantly lowers blood pressure.

"‘Sunlight’ found to lower blood pressure"

http://www.drbriffa.com/2013/05/08/s...lood-pressure/

&

The picture can be seen lower in the link, but a 1970s photo of a USSR school using UV light on students.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/weeke...#axzz2Snlw5h3g
05-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #305
Little Bear

My Support Groups:
I actually saw that beach! Very interesting reading although on the BBC website the suggestion of going out in the sun unprotected because the statistical chances of getting heart disease is more likely than getting skin cancer was a little reckless! How about controlling other factors in preventing heart disease before relying on excessive sun exposure to put out a fire you've already started whilst simultaneously running the risk of cancer?!
I take vitamin D and whenever it's sunny in the UK (rare!) I am outside (outside anyway) but with factor 15/20 because I am fair skinned and there's family history of skin cancer. I also find vitamin C ridiculously good at helping with recovery after a hard session - really noticeable if I haven't been taking it.

Crohns people on here seem to be the most knowledgable about good diet and health than anyone I've ever spoken to!
05-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #306
Beach
Forum Monitor

Little Bear - I think one has to weigh the risks verses rewards when it comes to sun exposure. As you mention, avoid excessive sun rays as that is when one runs into trouble with some skin cancers. At the same time, too little sun exposure is dangerous also. As more information is coming in taking vitamin D alone does not provide the full benefits as sensible UV exposure.

That is a point often made when it comes to UV exposure. One of the better ways to avoid many cancers is with higher sun exposure/ vitamin D levels. One write up on this that I recall from Dr. Eades's sight.

"Heliophobe Madness"

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/s...phobe-madness/

snippet from the article:

...I think she’s overstating the case for these superficial skin cancers being “disfiguring.” Most are basal cell or squamous cell skin cancers, which are virtually non-malignant and can be removed without leaving much – if any – evidence of their ever having been there. Both MD and I have had basal cell cancers removed from our foreheads in minor office procedures without any evidence they were ever there.

The 68,720 melanomas, which are malignant, are much more attention getting. But, there is no evidence that excess sun exposure causes melanoma, while there is data showing that chronic sun exposure and vitamin D seem to prevent it.

Just for grins, let’s go along with Jane and assume that melanoma is caused by the sun. If we go to the latest cancer statistics from the American Cancer Society (ACS), we find that 8,700 people died last year from melanoma. We know that sun exposure and vitamin D (along with maybe the other 5-10 photoproducts we synthesize from sun exposure) help prevent breast, colon and prostate cancer. If Jane is correct and we avoid the sun, we run less risk of being one of the 8,700 people who perish from melanoma. But what about the other side of the coin?

According to the same ACS statistics, last year 40,230 people died from breast cancer, 32,050 from prostate cancer and 51,370 from colon cancer. So, on the one hand, we have 8,700 people die of a disease that probably isn’t related to sun exposure while on the other we have 123,650 who died from cancers known to be related to lack of sun exposure. I don’t know about you, but I’ll go with the sun exposure, “disfiguring” superficial skin cancers be damned.

Plus, we didn’t even mention the devastating disease multiple sclerosis, a disease much more common in those with little sun exposure. There are between 250,000-350,000 new cases of MS diagnosed each year. I’ll be happy to accept the risk of a few minor cancers to significantly reduce my risk of developing MS.

The danger of too much sun is minimal – the danger of too little sun is enormous. I know which side I come down on. The health trade offs remind me of a corny joke I heard when I was a kid that made such an impact on me that I’ve remembered it since. The joke (or parable) was about economic issues, but it applies to sun exposure as well.

Did you hear the one about the guy who took big steps to save his twenty dollar shoes and ripped his 50 dollar pants?

It’s just another way of saying don’t be penny-wise and pound foolish. In terms of our current discussion, we could say, Don’t be skin-cancer-wise and colon-breast-prostate-foolish. Which is exactly what the misguided perspective of most dermatologists would have us be.
05-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #307
mccindy

My Support Groups:
I've always tanned (outside mostly) and used SPF and timing to avoid burning. I use a lot of moisturizer to protect my skin and never tan my face to avoid wrinkles. I've never had a problem with and form of skin cancer or damage from the sun.
I have a friend, on the other hand, who has never spent much time in the sun, doesn't tan, and she has had a couple of surgeries already for malignant melanomas. She preaches on the use of clothing and sun screen to avoid exposure to the sun, as that's what she blames her cancer on. I've always wondered if it caused by the sun or not, because of her minimal exposure compared to myself and many others.
I have another friend who has tanned so much in her life that she looks quite leathery (it's not very attractive, let me tell you) and she's never had any problems with skin cancer either. She always tans outside.
So it sounds like this article that Beach has posted might have some merit.
05-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #308
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I use SPF 60 because when you ride for 4 hours without it, skin burns and it sucks. Also, I'm in the CF and it is a chargeable offence to have a sunburn that prevents you from being able to do your duties.
05-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #309
mccindy

My Support Groups:
A chargeable offense? I suppose because it is under your control and if you are lax, it wil affect your ability to perform. May I ask, what is the CF?
05-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #310
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Wow Alli, the military is strict if you aren't even allowed to get sunburned! I'm not sure what CF means either but I'm assuming it's a military term... Canadian Forces?

As for this vitamin D & sunlight thing, for many years I avoided the sun and hated getting tanned/burned. Then this IBD or whatever it is came along, and I became so frighteningly pale particularly when I flared. Now I don't bother so much with sunblock, I like getting out in the sun and getting a little bit of color in my skin. I don't go out of my way to tan, but I don't go out of my way to slather on sunblock either. I'm glad to know that's probably helping me more than harming me.
05-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #311
RHSweetlove

Was doing some googling today and came across this website/forum and thought I would join and just give a brief introduction of myself. I was first diagnosed with Crohn's iin 1988 whil a member of the CF. I was lucky that I didn't have major problems as I was able to stay in the military for 34 yrs11 mos then was medically released.
In the last 12 years I have run 15 marathons, over 30 halfs and numerous 5 to 15 km races. I am not the fastest but I finish. I also do a lot of cycling during the year.
I had participated in the first 7 Goofy Challenges (run the half-marathon Saturday and the full on Sunday) at Disney World and was one of only 2 Canadians to do that. My wife and I were signed up for the 2013 to keep me "Perfectly Goofy" when I had a major relapse in Nov 12.
I had been experiencing abdomen pain I had thought it would pass as I got used to having these off and on although I haven't been on medication for 15 years. At day 5 I decided I had better get checked out at the hospital.
Bottom line was my small intestine had ruptured and I was going septic. I ended up with an ileostomy But after 4 months I am back running and cycling and ready to participate in the 1st Dopey Challenge Jan 2014 5km Thurs, 10km Fri, 21.1km Sat and 42.2km Sun.
There was a couple points that I wanted to make and that was don't be stubborn like I was if you feel pain get it looked at, as it won't always go away. My other point was that if it wasn't for my exercising I wouldn't not be hereto write in this forum. You don't have run marathons like myself but establish an exercise regime and it will pay you back twofold.
Thank you for reading this albeit long winded....
Bob
05-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #312
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Hi Bob, welcome to the forum! I agree, there are so many benefits from exercise, I feel like my body is thanking me every time I finish a workout. My mind, too. I feel happier and better able to deal with stress. I'm glad to hear you're able to run in spite of the challenges that have been thrown at you. And I admit I haven't heard of those races and giggled a little bit at the names! Running at Disney World sounds really fun!
05-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #313
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Bob, wow,34 years! When did you get out?

I only have 7 years and was diagnosed in November. Unfortuntely I violate the new framework that determines whether or not somebody with IBD can be retained or not. My file hasn't gone to D Med Pol yet, but I'm prepared for the worst, hoping for the best. I feel great now that I'm on Remicade, but Remicade makes me undeployable.
05-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #314
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Alli that is so unfortunate that your medical condition could get you removed from service. There aren't that many people who are dedicated and want to serve, so to disqualify someone who does and keeps fit seems crazy! I hope you're able to stay in.
Cat, you are right, there is a big "thank-you" from the bod after a workout! I always feel good in the morning after I've worked out and showered. Like the body is just going, "aaaaah".
Bob - you are one dedicated runner! I used to love to run but never got the chance to run any half-marathons, just a few 10ks. And definitely you are correct, exercising in any form helps the body heal itself and stay healthier. I wouldn't be where I am today without exercising regularly. Welcome!
05-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #315
Beach
Forum Monitor

Anymore, when I know I'll be around side doing an activity in the sun for a good while, I'll bring sun tan lotion. I'll use it after being outside for 15 minutes or so. Getting some sun exposure has its plusses, but being burnt hurts!
05-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #316
RHSweetlove

Hi Alliruns...I got out Nov 2010. I was to be released the year before under a medical release but it was revoked. Nov 2010 they did medically release me with 34 years 11 months which made no real sense at all. I work no win Gatineau since we moved buildings in January.
Running at Disney is great as you run through l 4 parks.
Next Tues is the appointment with the surgeon so I will find out when I get my ileostomy reversed as it is wreaking havoc with my body. I have had iron, potassium and magnesium deficiencies and associated medications for that.
In the meantime my wife & I are taking my 80 year old mother on a 12 day trip to Alaska/Denali Park where I intend to go ziplining.
That is my update for now...if anyone wishes to get in touch with me offline my email is [email protected].
05-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #317
alex_chris

Just a general question re intensity of sport. Has anyone experienced differences in the effect on Crohn's with (i) doing sport that means you actually are sweating good vs. (ii) sport where you might be exhausted after a while but there is no sweating.?

It might just be me, but running faster (40min) for 8-10km is helping me much more than 2-3 hours of sport that doesn't get my sweating. At least in the long run over many months.
60cm of smaller intestine removed in 2003
Vitamin therapy with D3, B6, B12, magnesium, zinc, folic acid for years
Iron therapy with Tardyferron 80mgx2 and Loesferron 80mg for years
Yoga, running, freeletics on the sport side!
05-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #318
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Alex Chris, yes, I feel like the more intense of a workout I do, the better I feel. If I'm lifting weights or doing a long bike ride with lots of hills, I sweat a lot and feel great afterwards. If I do something like yoga, I don't sweat. I feel okay when I'm done, but it's not the same. The more I push myself and make my body work, the better my body responds.
05-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #319
amrycrohns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Just a general question re intensity of sport. Has anyone experienced differences in the effect on Crohn's with (i) doing sport that means you actually are sweating good vs. (ii) sport where you might be exhausted after a while but there is no sweating.?

It might just be me, but running faster (40min) for 8-10km is helping me much more than 2-3 hours of sport that doesn't get my sweating. At least in the long run over many months.
I have defaintly noticed this myself with exertion level and actual remission. When deployed to Iraq we usually did 8 hours of patrols (walking around in 80lbs' of gear) + 1 hour of weight lifting and then playing basketball at night. In Iraq I have 0 symptoms here at home I tend to be miserable. At first I thought it might be supplements I was taking, but since ruled that out. So in my mind it has to have something to do with extreme exertion level everyday. I have recently started to pick up my frequency and exertion level of exercise to prove this direct effect for me.
05-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #320
kel
Forum Monitor

In my experience high intensity exercise has a very calming effect on my stomach/gut. As far as sweating goes, I do not find that is the determining factor. I don't sweat much at all during my heavy weightlifting sessions but feel significant relief regardless. If I ride my bike at a moderate pace for long enough to make me sweat I don't feel as good as if I sprint for a few miles.
05-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #321
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Managed to get out for a run last night. Registered for a 5K this weekend, might end up walking a fair bit of it depending on how I feel. Ankles feel tight tonight - gotta stretch
Good Luck tomorrow!
I'm racing a 10km in Belleville tomorrow morning.
05-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #322
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks.

Did it in 35:39 (chip time) - better that I expected (I was thinking it would be closer to 45 or 50). Ran a couple of sets of 8 and 1's with my wide who also did the 5K then it was 5 and 1s. Placed 12/13 in my age category. Not bad considering
either things are in a flare or the Crohn's seems active.

Weather was great - cool and cloudy
05-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #323
amrycrohns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Do people in other countries have to pay for 5k, 10k, halfs and fulls like we do in the US? Sometimes in the ball park of 100 USD. Usually it's scaled like 5k 25 dollars, Full 100 dollars. We get decent T shirts and it's usually for a charity, but I never see free runs in my area. Tough Mudders and other runs with obstacles can be really pricey for individual or team aswell. Last one we considered was 7 man team 260 miles over 48 hours it was 800 dollars for a team.
05-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #324
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
Well done hawkeye!! Great achievement.

I think most runs/events you do pay for here as well. (not that I have done any). As you say it mostly goes to charity and I think they have companies sponsor them to go towards running costs.
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/
05-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #325
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Do people in other countries have to pay for 5k, 10k, halfs and fulls like we do in the US? Sometimes in the ball park of 100 USD. Usually it's scaled like 5k 25 dollars, Full 100 dollars. We get decent T shirts and it's usually for a charity, but I never see free runs in my area. Tough Mudders and other runs with obstacles can be really pricey for individual or team aswell. Last one we considered was 7 man team 260 miles over 48 hours it was 800 dollars for a team.
I run lots of local races, they are cheaper and try to minimize the expensive races to once or twice a year. Many marathons now are well over $100.
05-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #326
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Also hate to break it to you, but very few runs are for charity.. Unless it specifically says it's for a charity, it's usually not.
05-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #327
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks.

Did it in 35:39 (chip time) - better that I expected (I was thinking it would be closer to 45 or 50). Ran a couple of sets of 8 and 1's with my wide who also did the 5K then it was 5 and 1s. Placed 12/13 in my age category. Not bad considering
either things are in a flare or the Crohn's seems active.

Weather was great - cool and cloudy
Well done!

Weather was cool and very Windy here. I didn't taper for today's race, my legs fatigued around 7km, the wind didn't help either. Crossed the line in 42:00 (10km)
05-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #328
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
You have to pay for most of the races here - the race we ran today was $ 70 for the marathon, $65 for the half and $45 for the 5K or 10 K. If you registered early (before April 28, the fees were $10 lower).

In terms of swag they had a shirt (they generally ran small and they were not T-shirts but the sleeveless variety - there is an un politically correct term for these shirts) and an over the shoulder nylon bag with the logo of the main sponsor on it.

Every one received a medal - I'll post a pic of mine later when I get the spare camera running (our camera suffered a tumble to the floor that involved a kitchen counter, Thomas the Tank Engine placemat and a 2 year old - luckily we chose a good no fault warranty for it). The medals for the three big city marathons / runs / events in the Province fit together this year so that is a bit of an added incentive.
05-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #329
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
You have to pay for most of the races here - the race we ran today was $ 70 for the marathon, $65 for the half and $45 for the 5K or 10 K. If you registered early (before April 28, the fees were $10 lower).

In terms of swag they had a shirt (they generally ran small and they were not T-shirts but the sleeveless variety - there is an un politically correct term for these shirts) and an over the shoulder nylon bag with the logo of the main sponsor on it.

Every one received a medal - I'll post a pic of mine later when I get the spare camera running (our camera suffered a tumble to the floor that involved a kitchen counter, Thomas the Tank Engine placemat and a 2 year old - luckily we chose a good no fault warranty for it). The medals for the three big city marathons / runs / events in the Province fit together this year so that is a bit of an added incentive.
Shame about the shirts, one of my fav race shirts is my t- shirt from Freddy 3 years ago before I got posted to Kingston.
05-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #330
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The old T-shirts were nice - my wife still has hers from the marathon a few years ago