• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Laying down relieves pain?

Do you experience less pain when you're horizontal?

• Yes

Votes: 86 66.7%
  • No, it doesn't matter for me

Votes: 43 33.3%

• Total voters

kiny

Does laying down in your bed, on a couch or in the grass or anywhere..relieve pain versus standing up, sitting up?

Yes! I had severe pain Wednesday and Thursday night and on Thursday I decided to wait it out on the couch while watching TV, so I laid down and it helped tremendously. I found it half amusing/half bothersome that when I stood up I immediately felt a bit of pain again. Interesting!

I think the rest is necessary, for body and mind, but sometimes, with the assistance of painkillers, going for a walk or doing some kind of movement can help
I read somewhere that walking is good for the colon, something to do with bloodflow

I find laying down always feels betta when i have pain, standing aint too bad , but sitting up is worse , no idea why lol

yes, sitting is definitely the worst. I use a reclining chair with foot stall at home but sitting at my desk at work always seems to leave me uncomfortable and in pain by the time I go home :(

Do you think it's because the intestines & colon get sort of compressed and take more of the body weight? I try very hard to "sit up" and so relieve any pressure in my torso

I feel less pain when laying down. Especially if I lay on my left side. Failing that, sitting and drawing my knees right up to my chest. In my case it's something to do with relaxing the muscles. When you're standing, your abdo muscles work hard to keep you upright.

If/when the pain is really bad and I'm struggling while waiting for the strong painkillers to kick in I have to get on my knees and lean over a stool with my tummy on the stool. I need to have the knees up toward the tum, not flat.

That's the only way I get through the seriously bad and crippling pains but I'm usually ahead of the game nowadays and take some paracetamol before it gets such a grip

God bless painkillers !

I actually find the opposite. There are days when I am not really feeling a lot of pain and will lie down in bed for the night and end up in excruciating pain. I sometimes sleep on couch or lazy boy so I can be propped up a little.

When flaring, I almost always had problems laying down. I would wake up with severe abdominal cramping that was only improved by shifting my position (rolling over on my other side). This was the worst part of flaring. Very little sleep and lots of pain for a very long time.

I lay on my tummy too. I don't know why, but sometimes it just feels better. My ultimate help me out when I'm hurting position is laying on my back with a warm rice bag on my tummy - Does wonders. I don't know what I'd do without the rice bag!

The only way I can get relief is to lay flat on my back. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't lay down while in pain. It is crazy that the second I stand up the pain in unbearable but the second I lay down it is gone. My doctor said this is because the colon is free floating in the body and when you lay down it allows it to relieve pressure. I am just thankful there is something I can do to stop the pain.

definitly, and laying on my back and then turning onto my side always relieves gas aswell....if only I could do that at work it would make like so much easier!

My right side always gets the worse pains and that's what usually wakes me up in the morning. Flat on the back doesn't feel good and sleeping on my left side is difficult due to an old riding injury to that shoulder. Too bad I can't just float in a pool at night.

I've found that laying helps but if I'm laying down and switch positions and I don't do it slowwwwwwwly, I'm in for a lot of pain. Its like I can feel the gas switch from side to side and everything inside of me feels like its moving.

And like IslandArts, I feel amazing when I'm in water....and like Rebecca85 laying flat on my back with my legs up and resting, in a rather interesting position feels very good as well....

laying can help but I also find just stopping whatever I am doing rubbing the sore area with pressure and this might sound weird but focusing on the area in pain and just thinking soothing blank thoughts... kind of a mind over matter thing. Without the pressure no amount of peaceful thinking helps though.

This is such a strange experience for me! I have always had terrible tummy aches, and needed to lie down..esp. face down to feel a bit better. But I never knew it was due to Crohns...this is all a moment of connecting the dots!

Laying down is great esp with the heating pad on my tummy. Stasnding up is ok too, althoug it is quite tiring to stand all day at work.

Sitiing is the worst, especially to sit and then have to reach around and "move" while sitting. I try to avoid it if at all possible or to get up and move around frequently to releive the pressure.

Yes and no for me lol. No because it doesn't help most things. Yes because it helps (only) gas. Laying on my side (usually my left, not sure if that matters or not) seems to allow me to pass gas much easier. Which is good because I'm always gassy and it enjoys staying in place for the longest periods of time :ymad:

It hurt me more laying down than it did when I was standing up.. I had to sit up for a while before laying down again because I got really bad pains and nausea.

Laying down definitely helps me. When the pain hits (usually like a ton of bricks out of no where) I hit the floor/bed/whatever and lay on my back until it calms down.

Standing is the worst for me!! When I'm in pain it just seems to get worse and worse until I can't stand anymore. Laying down is very helpful, but lying on my sides is excruciating for me.

Laying down does help the pain. Although when the pain gets really bad I will lie down in the shower and let hot water fall on my stomach for 15 minutes or so. That usually helps relieve the pain enough for me to go to sleep.