Share Facebook

05-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #301
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Yes, I have a gel seat on my bike. It's better than a standard bike seat but I guess there's only so much that can be done with bike seats. I have a recumbent exercise bike and it has like a regular chair seat, it's wide and cushy, and I think I've been spoiled by that. I'm learning that my real bike and my exercise bike are very different!

I also apply Calmoseptine cream to the backside before any workout session, bike or otherwise, to try to keep things happy back there and prevent chafing. But even that wasn't enough to prevent yuckiness from happening on my ride yesterday. I've heard that there is a such thing as padded bike shorts, and I think I am going to look around and see if I can find a pair in my budget. I'm sure that will not be a very cute look, but if it saves me from further butt troubles then it'll be worth it.

Yeah, it seems short dogs are not good swimmers in general. They have this thing here at the end of every summer, before they close the public pool for the winter they take the chemicals out of the water and let people bring their dogs as a fundraiser for the local K-9 police dogs. The people aren't allowed to swim but the dogs are, it's really cute. We brought our dog to it 2 years ago, we had never taken her swimming before so we wanted to see how she'd do. Right away we bought her a life jacket, but even so my dog clearly was not having fun in the water - she tried, but she hated it. There were other corgis there and they were not good swimmers either. My neighbor's corgi jumped right in but couldn't swim and my hubby had to fish the poor pooch out of the water! The dog was fine, just a little waterlogged. I saw basset hounds and daschunds that were not even attempting to swim, I guess they were smarter than the corgis.
05-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #302
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
I've never seen a dog that "couldn't" swim!!

You just need some more junk in the trunk Cat!! Stop exercising so much and you can have some built in padding!!

EJ dx w/ Crohn's 12/09
PSC 3/10

No more 6mp
Currently in the Humira Club
05-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #303
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Cat - that's hilarious! I'm glad nothing happened to your poor pooch, but I'll bet it was funny to see the poor Corgis trying to swim. I'd imagine if I took my dogs to a swim like that, they'd probably embarrass me by trying to play with the other dogs rather than swim.
I've seen the padded bike shorts - they have them at Scheel's All Sports around here, and Cabela's I think as well. I've thought about checking into them myself, as I don't have much padding in the backside myself and my lady parts hurt on the seat! I don't think they look too funny, they are made to still be fairly stylish I think. Maybe just give you a little ghetto booty look? :P
05-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #304
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Ha ha, Mark! I am a skinny girl but I have, as one former friend once put it, "a butt that's too big for my frame". The booty has gotten smaller since I've been exercising regularly, now it's about just right for my frame, but it's not small or bony or anything. I'm definitely not one of those skinny girls with no butt. The trunk has enough junk.

Mccindy, I giggled at the ghetto booty line! Too funny. I'm going to check around and see if I can find some of those padded shorts - hopefully the padding is fairly discreet for the reasons mentioned in the above paragraph, as I don't need any further fullness back there or it will definitely look like a ghetto booty! Yikes, ha ha.

Ugh, it's raining here again. I did weights yesterday and felt really good, stronger than usual. Had hardly any reflux too which is always nice! The rain is light today so the arthritis is just making itself known a little bit, but even so I'm going to do yoga tonight. I was hoping to take the kayak out on Saturday, but they're saying rain then too. Boo! And it sounds like we're going to visit the in-laws on Sunday, so I think a nice long gym session beforehand is in order to pre-de-stress. I don't usually work out in the mornings but I'll make an exception when I need to.
05-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #305
xX_LittleMissValentine_Xx

My Support Groups:
ahhaaa I'm laughing at this padded shorts convo!

I wouldn't fancy padding out my bum, I think its fine as it is. But for practical reasons I get where you are coming from. I mean, say you are going from your house out on the bike and straight back again, that would be fine. I wouldn't fancy it for a day out though, if you actually got off your bike.

I suppose it might be ok if the padding is on the bottom, kinda underneath, I'm quite small so I dont reckon anyone would notice. Ahahaha.... Imagine you got groped or something and the guy realises its not all your bum!!!
Infliximab

Past:
Pentasa
Prednisolone
Azathioprine

My blog: http://hollysbloggyness.blogspot.com/
05-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #306
mccindy

My Support Groups:
I know they actually make pants that have booty padding in them! I guess if you were going to get off the bike and walk around, you'd want to have a long shirt that would cover the butt pads? Lol!
05-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #307
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Eek! Ha ha. I think if I got padded bike shorts I'd wear a skirt or something over them so that it wouldn't be obvious. The thought of booty padded pants that are not for bike riding, that's scary! And yeah, LMV, I would not want to wear padded bike shorts anywhere but while on my bike. I wouldn't wear them if I was going to be doing any walking/standing/anything besides bike riding!
05-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #308
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 5/10/13: I'm exhausted today. It's been a long, stressful work week! I can't wait to get to the gym. I did yoga last night and it kind of sucked. My balance was all off, I just couldn't do much of anything. I don't have very good balance to begin with but it was worse than usual yesterday. I'm not sure what's up with that. Anyway, I got through it, but it wasn't pretty.
05-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #309
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Cat, I'm sorry to hear you're not having a good day. Hopefully things go well at the gym and you get a nice endorphin rush to boost your spirits! Hugs.
05-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #310
Ya noy

Eek! Ha ha. I think if I got padded bike shorts I'd wear a skirt or something over them so that it wouldn't be obvious. The thought of booty padded pants that are not for bike riding, that's scary! And yeah, LMV, I would not want to wear padded bike shorts anywhere but while on my bike. I wouldn't wear them if I was going to be doing any walking/standing/anything besides bike riding!
There are cycling skirts with built in padded shorts, also known as "skorts".

I have quite a few, none of which are either denim or blue. They don't look anything like my khakis either (and if you were me, that little rant would all make sense).

Mine are all spandex, and kind of look like tennis skirts. They cover up the padding on the bottom and make me feel less self-conscious in public. You can also cover up by wearing a long tee shirt, but the skorts feel a little more dressy.

To me, this just isn't a good look.

05-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #311
Ya noy

The padding is shorts is called a chamois. There's different types of chamois's for various body types, riding styles and personal preferences.

The padding in the chamois is not the same as the padding in a bicycle seat, and the one is not a substitute for the other, and a thicker bike pad is not always better. It depends on the type of riding you do, your body build, and your riding style.

For casual riding in more of an upright position, where most of your weight rests in your bottom, a wider, well padded seat is almost always far more comfortable. However, when riding long distance, or racing, where you are bent over and a good portion of your weight is actually being supported by your arms and handlebars, a very thin narrow seat can be better, by reducing contact with your bottom and thighs, so there's less rubbing, friction and chaffing.

The padding/chamois of bike shorts functions in a much different way. Bike shorts are intended to be worn without any undergarments, and the chamois is designed to help prevent chaffing, by using materials that allows the skin to breath and stay cool, while wicking moisture away from your body, along with padding that is strategically placed, to reduce the pressure in precise areas where it can provide the greatest protection against friction and chaffing.

There's also chamois cream designed to be used in conjunction with padded cycling shorts, which can either be applied to the chamois, skin, or both. In addition to helping prevent chaffing, most also have ingredients that help prevent rash, and infections, heal wounds, and sooth the skin.

I was able to pick up all my bike shorts and "skorts" during year end clearance sales, when they discount by as much as 70-80%. I also have a pair of padded cycling pants that are flannel lined for winter riding, and are especially wonderful.

Bibs rarely go on sale because they're a very a "hot" item, the preferred choice of many cyclists because there is no waistline to cut in or fall down, especially beneficial for those who have a bit of a tummy, or not much of a waistline. My waist is small, my hips are wide, so there's no danger of my pants falling down or of the waistband cutting into my skin.

This is my bike seat. It's called a Terry butterfly and for a road bike, it's well padded, but still pretty thin and narrow. ,

If I don't wear padded bike shorts, the chaffing can become unbearable, and I end up not only with rashes, but gigantic angry red welts and even blisters. The padding really helps, but if I overdo without advance training, even padding will only go just so far.

Last edited by Ya noy; 05-12-2013 at 05:30 AM.
05-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #312
mccindy

My Support Groups:
The little skirts are cute! I could definitely see wearing one of them, and the padding wouldn't even be noticeable.
05-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #313
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Those skirts are cute (definitely cuter than the shorts!). I will definitely keep an eye out for sales. Thanks for all the info, Ya noy!

Update 5/13/13. I had a pretty good weekend. Didn't do much on Saturday as far as actual working out, but I did walk the dog and I also did a bunch of cleaning in my craft room. We just remodeled our living room, and the craft room became the dumping ground for all the stuff we moved out of the living room. I wanted to do some sewing, which meant I had to clean/move all of the stuff that had been dumped in that room. That was kind of a chore! My arms were tired afterwards so it felt like I kind of did get a workout from it.

Yesterday, I knew we were going to visit my in-laws for mother's day, so I went to the gym beforehand to pre-de-stress. That was nice, I had a good workout, and then I had a pretty good visit with the in-laws. My sister-in-law was there too and she's pregnant with her fifth (!!) child. She brought her 4 kids with so that was kind of stressful, I always come away exhausted after seeing my nieces & nephews and can't believe I'll have another one soon! I brought my dog, who tolerates children, but even my dog was exhausted from so many kids playing with her.

It's a sunny day, although not particularly warm (I think the high temp is 60, although supposedly it'll be 85 tomorrow). I'm hoping to go for a bike ride tonight. There's a section of bike path here where you need to pay a fee and get a permit to ride on - it looks like a really nice path though, so I think I'm going to pay the fee tonight and go for it.
05-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #314
Ya noy

It's a sunny day, although not particularly warm (I think the high temp is 60, although supposedly it'll be 85 tomorrow). I'm hoping to go for a bike ride tonight. There's a section of bike path here where you need to pay a fee and get a permit to ride on - it looks like a really nice path though, so I think I'm going to pay the fee tonight and go for it.
Is it the Badger State Trail? Cool trail. Have you ever been through the Stewart Tunnel? If not, the tunnel alone is worth the permit fee.

It's only 1200 feet long, but curves so you can't see from one end to the other, and flashlights or headlamps are advised. You also have to walk your bike through. Of course, the tunnels on the Sparta-McElroy trail are longer, and spookier, Stewart Tunnel's worth a visit.

I'm doing some work for a friend at her hotel, and she has a group of touring cyclists staying here on their way across the state to the Mississippi, so They've been entertaining me with tales of their adventures.
05-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #315
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Padded shorts are not so bad, but I prefer bibs: my new fav bike kit http://twitter.com/twosix_two/status...065795/photo/1
05-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #316
Ya noy

Padded shorts are not so bad, but I prefer bibs: my new fav bike kit http://twitter.com/twosix_two/status...065795/photo/1
Nice!
05-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #317
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Ya noy, I had to google that tunnel - that's a fair ways south of here (it said south of Belleville), too far for me I think! I mostly just ride around the city. The fee trail I stumbled upon is called the "9 springs E-way" (appears to be part of the Capital City trail) and it appears to go just south of the city and then back north again, kind of a horseshoe shape. Google says that trail is about 16 miles one way which is still a bit much for me! I am by no means a professional bicyclist and currently 12ish miles is my upper limit.

Update 5/14/13: Speaking of bicycles, it was just about to rain yesterday evening as I was preparing for my bike ride, so I decided to play it safe and rode the exercise bike in my back bedroom for an hour instead. That was fine although it's always a bit boring to ride in place and not go anywhere. I did watch a DVD while I was riding so at least I was entertained. Hoping to go on a real bike ride tomorrow, hitting the little gym in a bit for weights.
05-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #318
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 5/16/13: I went on a nice long bike ride yesterday and that was fun. I feel like I'm getting stronger and am gradually getting confident enough to ride farther. The route I took yesterday, it went through the country and there were NO bathrooms anywhere. That was a bit disconcerting, but fortunately I didn't need a bathroom.

Today I'm hitting the gym for weights. And I'm thinking, possibly on Sunday morning, I might try riding my bike to the gym, lift weights at the gym, and then ride home. I haven't done that yet so I'm a bit nervous, but I think I can do it! I'm going to see my grandparents on Sunday for lunch, so maybe I could squeeze that bike/lift/bike thing in in the morning. It's something like 3 or 4 miles to the gym each way, so it'd be a decent little ride with weights too. I'm just hoping I have enough stamina to do all that. Wish me luck?
05-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #319
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Good luck Cat! You are brave and tough. I have faith that you will have the stamina to make the whole trip and enjoy it!

I was feeling pretty bad yesterday, but I did manage to get on the elliptical when I got home for 1/2 hour. I felt good afterward (endorphin rush) despite the burning in my belly.
05-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #320
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 5/17/13: I impressed a co-worker yesterday with my muscles. She's off today so I have to fill in for her, and she was telling me about this heavy pocket wall I would need to move out of the way. She made some comment like, "A tiny little thing like you might have trouble moving that big heavy thing!" And I was like, "Hey, I work out, I have muscles, I'll be fine." And I flexed a bicep (tacky I know!) and my co-worker was like, "Wow, okay, you'll be fine - you've got guns!" Hah!

It's rainy today so no bike ride - I'm thinking I'll do yoga tonight and maybe attempt riding my bike to the gym tomorrow for weights. I have to clean my house tomorrow too which should be a workout in itself!
05-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #321

My Support Groups:
ahahaha! Cat thats so funny because the other week I flexed a muscle at work too!
We were moving boxes and I was like, its ok I'm quite strong look! And she was like oooh wow yes! haha
05-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #322
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Too funny, LMV! We're a couple of strong ladies showing off our muscles at work. And I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one doing this kind of thing!
05-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #323
mccindy

My Support Groups:
I have to laugh! I told one of my staff today that I'm very strong and he laughed, said I'm too small to be strong... so I flexed.... lol!
Rainy here too, hitting the elliptical tonight and tomorrow morning. Cat, I'll think of you while I'm cleaning tomorrow as well.
05-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #324

My Support Groups:
Its good to be proud of our hard work
05-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #325
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Hah, so we're all flexing at work! We're all just awesome like that.

McCindy, I'll think of you too when I'm cleaning tomorrow! I have to clean really well, because my OCD grandmother is coming over on Sunday, and if anything is dirty or in disarray, she will clean/arrange it for me. And she's 80 (nearly 81) and should not be cleaning my house for me at her age and in her poor health! So I have to do a really thorough job. I hope you don't have to clean as much as I do!
05-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #326
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Update 5/18/13: It's gorgeous out today! I'm feeling good, going to try to ride my bike to the gym & lift weights and then ride home. I'm cleaning my house too, which is slow-going because I get easily distracted. I come across something I haven't seen in awhile ("I love this movie! I'm going to put it on and just have it on in the background while I clean" and then cut to 2 hours later and I'm just watching the movie, not cleaning).
05-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #327

My Support Groups:
Aha, Cat ill do anything not to clean as well!
05-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #328
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Quick update: I DID IT! I managed to ride my bike to the gym, lift weights at the gym, and then ride home. I probably did 8ish miles on my bike AND all the weight machines (except for the quads machine - my quads were already getting a good workout from all the bike riding and I didn't want to overdo it). I felt kind of shaky on the ride home, like I had used up most of my energy, but I felt great too. Totally exhausted now! Not to mention sweaty and gross. But feeling proud, I wasn't sure if I could do this but I tried anyway and I did it. I will definitely be doing this again too!

Now I have to shower and eat and continue avoiding to clean. I mean, I have to clean my house. Yeah, sure.
05-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #329
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
So, I've been thinking I should add some "before and after" photos so people can see my progress. Here's a "before" picture. Please note that this is a terrible picture of me! I didn't know at the time that I was going to embark on a workout journey so I didn't take a proper "before" picture. But this is before remission and before working out. I had just started on Entocort at the time this was taken, I had literally been on it for like a week so I hadn't gained any of my weight back yet. I was about 115 lbs here and skinny skinny! My legs look like sticks. I was playing a ring toss game here so it's hard to see but my arms were skinny too. No muscle mass whatsoever and hardly any weight at all on me. This photo was taken in Oct 2010.

Here's an "after" picture, which I took myself in my bathroom mirror just now. (Please ignore how ugly my bathroom is, we're hoping to remodel it soon!) This is after my workout today so I was sweaty and gross looking, but you can see that I have muscles and more weight on me (I'm at about 139 lbs now).

05-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #330
Ya noy

Aha, Cat ill do anything not to clean as well!
Having to sit at a desk and stare at a computer all day and night, there are times I desperately need to go on a good cleaning binge. I've been helping a friend with the books at her hotel, and felt the need to burn off some energy last night so strongly, that I snuck into the kitchen at midnight, and scrubbed all the stainless steel countertops until they were bright and shiny, cleaned the ovens, hosed down the walk-in cooler, and just for good measure, bricked the grills--which the cooks should have done before leaving. She's still getting the hang of managing, and is a little lax on her employees. My opinion, of course.

After upgrading the computers tonight, depending on my mood, I'm thinking of either painting the back hallway, or cleaning the maintenance closet. I'd do my house, but there's nothing left to do.

It's all exercise, but this way, I get immediate gratification of seeing an accomplishment.