Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Low Fiber/Residue Diet Support Group

05-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #31
mccindy

My Support Groups:
I'm glad to see this low residue group. I've been following (mostly) the elimination diet and have had some success. It seems like fiber isn't the only thing causing me pain though. I tried both beef and pork over the weekend and both gave me bloating and pain. The pain is always the next day so I assume that's how long it took to get to the part of my intestine that's sensitive? I've tried a white-flour popover (fail), nuts (fail), and bacon (fail). I don't usually get diarrhea (unless I drink alcohol, then I throw up and get diarrhea), I tend toward constipation, even now that I eat almost no fiber. Oh, I also had to eliminate even aged cheese - I tried Gorgonzola last week and that was also a fail.
I haven't tried oatmeal, scared of the bulk! I do eat cream of rice cereal sometimes but I don't really like it.
I might have to try the gluten-free Bisquick though, I'm dying for a pancake!

current diagnosis is undiagnosed (possible Celiac disease)

Colonoscopy done August 2013, no evidence of Crohn's seen, biopsies done and one polyp removed.
Polyp is precancerous adenoma

(Diagnosed with a diffuse astrocytoma (brain tumor) 5/31/13.
Craniotomy with tumor resection performed July 2013. 99% of WHO grade II diffuse astrocytoma removed, MRI scheduled every 6 months to monitor for regrowth.)
05-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #32
lizbeth
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hello everyone

I've been following a low residue diet for managing strictures (not sure I have one yet, waiting on tests results), initially when I was diagnosed 6 months ago I was told to follow a low residue and then remove anything that would upset my diabetes (type 1), I find it very restrictive compared to what I used to eat. I don't think there is much difference in the two diets but I did notice a slight improvement in symptoms after switching. I have tried a few tests with food, discovered spicy is really not a idea and lettuce as well so I was surprised to see it listed as a safe food on the medline website, though I do think it's a lot to do with trial and error for everyone individually. I'm a bit too scared of trying anything high fiber, one of these days I might pluck up the courage.
05-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #33
Ellen_M

My Support Groups:
I'm not sure. For me, it's only when I've eaten fibre in large quantities that it becomes an issue. My reaction is delayed by a few days. So if I ate a large bowl of bran and a big salad every day, then I'd probably start experiencing symptoms (my stomach much more uncomfortable, diarrhoea more severe and more frequent) after about three days. And similarly, if I then replaced the bran with low-fibre cornflakes, and replaced the salad with easy-to-digest bananas, my symptoms would change back to their normal levels after eating this for a couple of days.

If I ate what you did - one flapjack and one rock cake, I don't think I'd notice any ill effects from it. But you might be a lot more sensitive than me, especially if you have a stricture.

The only way to know for sure is to see if the effects are consistent. So if you go back to your low residue diet now, and feel fine in a couple of days, it suggests the flapjack and cake may be responsible. If you have more bad symptoms when back on your low residue diet, the fibre probably wasn't responsible.

And if you stick to your low residue diet and your symptoms are consistent, you can then test different types and quantities of fibre, if you don't mind risking provoking your symptoms again. If a flapjack and a rock cake consistently produce a worsening of symptoms, you have your answer.
Before I had a colonoscopy which confirmed the stricture, I found just the same as you to be true. It took a few days of fibre before I got any real problems. Since the stricture was found and I was actually advised to go on a low residue diet (rather than my own trial and error) I didn't dare go of the rails until this weekend!

It's a shame that the diet is so restrictive, mainly because I am currently back living with my parents along with my husband and kids and we all eat evening meals together. I work in the day, and my dad is the home maker so he cooks the meal. I keep telling him just to cook normally, and I'll pick out what I can't have. However, bless him, he goes out of his way to make meals as friendly as possible for me, but I can see that everyone is beginning to get a little tired by the lack of texture and flavour!
05-22-2013, 05:03 AM   #34
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I'm glad to see this low residue group. I've been following (mostly) the elimination diet and have had some success. It seems like fiber isn't the only thing causing me pain though. I tried both beef and pork over the weekend and both gave me bloating and pain. The pain is always the next day so I assume that's how long it took to get to the part of my intestine that's sensitive? I've tried a white-flour popover (fail), nuts (fail), and bacon (fail). I don't usually get diarrhea (unless I drink alcohol, then I throw up and get diarrhea), I tend toward constipation, even now that I eat almost no fiber. Oh, I also had to eliminate even aged cheese - I tried Gorgonzola last week and that was also a fail.
I haven't tried oatmeal, scared of the bulk! I do eat cream of rice cereal sometimes but I don't really like it.
I might have to try the gluten-free Bisquick though, I'm dying for a pancake!
Is it possible that you're just reacting to eating, rather than reacting to specific foods? Even when I avoid anything I know will make me worse, my symptoms still get worse after eating.

But I know nuts would give me problems, and bacon is quite fatty which could make it harder to digest.

Also you said you tend towards constipation, but that you eat almost no fibre? Wouldn't you do better eating more fibre to stop getting constipated? Or maybe I've not understood your post correctly.
05-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #35
mccindy

My Support Groups:
I think that fiber tends to add bulk, and I have been eating more foods that don't add bulk and are softer and more fluid, so I expected to be less constipated, is mainly what I meant. When I was eating a lot of fiber and this flare I was constipated as well, so I thought there might be a change with eating less, I guess.
I don't react to everything I eat. If I stick to the few foods that are easy to digest, I don't have the pain level that I do when I try the other foods. I think sometimes eating anything causes me pain but eating trigger foods makes it MUCH worse.
06-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #36
greeneyes

My Support Groups:
Hi everyone! Reading your ideas and links for helpful diets is very useful. I was recently diagnosed with mild Crohn's. I have been having a lot of cramping after eating and I'm now on pentasa, which so far, is not doing a great deal. I was recently taken off of entocort. It was great for my symptoms but triggered daily migraines. So bye bye entocort.

Any ideas on quickly minimizing cramping with diet? What are your staples that always help?
06-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #37
OzyJac

My Support Groups:
After a couple of years in remission (following surgery) my symptoms are slowly returning.

First it was the pain from eating, then the nausea from the drugs so I switched to mainly a liquid diet - an Up N Go for breakfast, a cup of soup for lunch and a small meal at night.

This has helped enormously and I've pretty much followed this for the last six months or so. I've also added in tinned fruit, yoghurt - soft foods that won't cause too much pain and I avoid eating a lot of fibre.

The texture of food sometimes causes me more problems than fibre. I can tolerate multi-grain bread and a small bowl of oatmeal for breakfast is sometimes ok. But I can't eat hot chips and a couple of weeks ago I ate some risotto and was in agony for most of the night. Maybe the gluggy texture of the food without any fibre to help push it through is the reason. Anyway it was back to the liquid diet for a week until it all settled down again.
06-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #38
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Hi everyone! Reading your ideas and links for helpful diets is very useful. I was recently diagnosed with mild Crohn's. I have been having a lot of cramping after eating and I'm now on pentasa, which so far, is not doing a great deal. I was recently taken off of entocort. It was great for my symptoms but triggered daily migraines. So bye bye entocort.

Any ideas on quickly minimizing cramping with diet? What are your staples that always help?
Hi, sorry you've been diagnosed with this - it's unnerving when you first find out, but with time you'll find ways of managing your symptoms and it will get easier.

The foods that upset my stomach most are nuts and seeds. However, smooth peanut butter is great for me, as it's a good source of calories from the healthy kind of fats, and it's texture means it's far easier to digest than whole nuts.

The fibre in vegetables and fruits can cause problems. To make sure I get enough fruit and veg vitamins, I eat mostly low fibre ones like bananas, avocado, tinned fruits, vegetable soups, and well-cooked root vegetables (carrots, parsnip, swede).

Refined foods are far better for digestion than whole grains, so I eat white rice and white bread rather than brown. I can't digest breakfast cereals like bran and muesli, but rice krispies and cornflakes are lower in fibre and these are my staple breakfasts.

Dairy products are also something I rely on for when I'm feeling ill and want something that will go down easily - ice cream, milk, yogurt, custard. However quite a few people with Crohn's don't do well with dairy, so although these are low fibre, you may have to be careful and see what you react to.
06-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #39
mccindy

My Support Groups:
The texture of food sometimes causes me more problems than fibre. I can tolerate multi-grain bread and a small bowl of oatmeal for breakfast is sometimes ok. But I can't eat hot chips and a couple of weeks ago I ate some risotto and was in agony for most of the night. Maybe the gluggy texture of the food without any fibre to help push it through is the reason. Anyway it was back to the liquid diet for a week until it all settled down again.[/

I think the risotto has cheese and stuff in it, doesn't it? That might have been the problem. It tends to be quite rich. I can't tolerate casein or gluten so the cheese and chicken broth in most risottos makes them a no-no for me. I hope you are able to find some answers and you feel better soon!
06-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #40
jbpharmd

My Support Groups:
I enjoyed reading your posts. I have discovered that fiber is a big irritant for me. I tried the SCD diet for a month and stayed in pain with diarrhea and weight loss. However, I still have problems figuring out which foods still bother me on a low residue diet. I am currently in a flare and/or having major crohns symptoms from a narrowing in intestines and fistula. I stay in a lot of pain when I eat. I have even thought about starting an elimination diet of chicken and rice with water and work up. I am really desperate to find a link to food triggers and my tummy pain. I will keep you updated. Any one know a great tracking app for this?
06-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #41
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I think the best route is to eliminate one food at a time for 1-2 weeks and see how you feel. I think the danger of total elimination and increasing slowly is that you will lose weight and be malnourished.

GI Buddy by CCFA is a good app for tracking food.
06-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #42
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I enjoyed reading your posts. I have discovered that fiber is a big irritant for me. I tried the SCD diet for a month and stayed in pain with diarrhea and weight loss. However, I still have problems figuring out which foods still bother me on a low residue diet. I am currently in a flare and/or having major crohns symptoms from a narrowing in intestines and fistula. I stay in a lot of pain when I eat. I have even thought about starting an elimination diet of chicken and rice with water and work up. I am really desperate to find a link to food triggers and my tummy pain. I will keep you updated. Any one know a great tracking app for this?
I think I agree with nogutsnoglory - I tried a very basic diet and I lost loads of weight that I really didn't have to spare.

The concept of an elimination diet didn't work for me, because I did not react to particular foods. What I did react to was the overall content of my diet. If I eat a diet high in fibre, my symptoms get worse (hence my membership of this group!), if I eat a diet high in fat and stodgy foods, I get worse on that too. But if I eat one food item that's high in fibre - e.g. a cereal bar - I wouldn't have a noticeable reaction. I think this problem is something that elimination diets don't take into account. I could test any high fibre/high fat food and be fine. But if I ate large quantities of that same food, or ate it along with many other high fibre/high fat foods, it would contribute to worsening my symptoms.

The other problem I had with elimination diets is that I always have symptoms. No matter what I eat I will have some symptoms, and sometimes they will be better or worse without any external factor to explain the change. Or it might be due to a different medication, or because I've caught some minor temporary illness, or whatever. So I could feel absolutely awful one day, but it wouldn't necessarily be anything to do with my diet at all. This makes the process of finding the right diet extremely difficult, even with the help of food diaries, etc.

Unless you have really obvious, consistent reactions to particular foods, it may be better to look at your overall diet and symptoms over the course of a few weeks rather than trying to test individual foods.
07-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #43
mccindy

My Support Groups:
On the elimination diet I am fairly symptom free, but I do have problems maintaining my weight. I do try to supplement with kefir milk and Bolton Farms Green Goodness juice. I can't tolerate and gluten or dairy at all, as well as fresh or frozen veggies and most raw fruit. Nuts are out too. Beef and pork as well. It's difficult to take in enough fat to keep weight on, but I have found that coconut oil does help quite a bit. Peanut butter is a good source for me as well. When I've tried to reintroduce foods, it's pretty much been a failure. I tried gluten last week - first time was okay, second was not good, third was quite painful! So gluten is still out.
07-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #44
cleuger

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I don't have strictures, but my large intestine is covered in scar tissue. My doctor wants me to stay on low residue.
I eat a lot of peeled potatoes. There are many different ways to cook them, I like them mashed, with some cheese added for flavour, kind of like twice baked potatoes without the peels. Bananas and melons are good, and lettuce. Some canned fruits like pineapple give me pain. Soup is good. I don't eat much red meat, mostly chicken and turkey. Rice is also versatile, fried rice is quick and easy. Ethnic foods give me variety, like perogies and Cantonese take out.
I was told not to eat lettuce. Is there a certain type of lettuce that's OK to eat?

Diagnosed 10/02/2012 Crohns Colitis
05/28/14 Surgery Abscess due to Fistula
09/18/2014 Surgery Total Proctocolectomy
rectum removed and closed up.
Best Decision I ever made.

Gastro Released me said I didn't need meds any longer

Have 3 kids only 1 at home 17 yr old is Type 1 Diabetic

Currently Taking
Tramadol
Xanax
Multi Vitiman
07-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #45
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Lettuce is tricky, I can't tolerate it but some do just fine. I think most with IBD would approach it cautiously. My nutritionist says only Boston or Bibb lettuce if I want to try it.
07-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #46
Amy2

My Support Groups:
Although my son is on the SCD, I try to include lots of legal, low residue foods, so he doesn't get too much fiber. He doesn't eat nuts, but he eats nut butters (so far only almond and pecan). And last night he had lentil soup - pureed. These were his first lentils since getting sick, so I will be a bit nervous until he poops. Is anyone else doing this? Eating low-residue for the most part, but with the addition of high residue foods (for added nutrition) in the form of smoothies and pureed soups? What happens in our bodies when we eat pureed foods? How are they a problem?
07-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #47
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Amy I have had puréed beans a few times now and it's been great. I get the nutrition and hopefully the iron without taking a risk of having the peel hurt me.
07-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #48
cleuger

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Amy I have had puréed beans a few times now and it's been great. I get the nutrition and hopefully the iron without taking a risk of having the peel hurt me.
OK these are things I'm looking for. So there are actually ways for me to still enjoy the foods I like. I hate this diet it makes me feel sluggish. I am juicing now which should help next I'm going to slowly cut out Gluten I'm starting to hate the taste of bread and its probably better for me anyway. There's not a lot I eat Ive been living on Ensure clears and vitamins I never really have an appetite. I love Bean soup so Maybe I could puree it Yumm!!! I read somewhere that butter lettuce is ok. Does anyone know? I miss my greens

On a side note I did purchase the boo Breaking the viscous cycle. Problem with some of these foods is I do have a small stricture. I have no idea where it is I thinks its on my left side bowel anyway it never bothers me they were not sure if it was scar tissue or inflammation when I was diagnosed. So does anyone with a Stricture go by this diet? Curious to know

TIA
07-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #49
Amy2

My Support Groups:
Can pureed beans be considered low residue?
07-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #50
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
Although my son is on the SCD, I try to include lots of legal, low residue foods, so he doesn't get too much fiber. He doesn't eat nuts, but he eats nut butters (so far only almond and pecan). And last night he had lentil soup - pureed. These were his first lentils since getting sick, so I will be a bit nervous until he poops. Is anyone else doing this? Eating low-residue for the most part, but with the addition of high residue foods (for added nutrition) in the form of smoothies and pureed soups? What happens in our bodies when we eat pureed foods? How are they a problem?
I think it is the fiber content that we can't seem to digest properly. I eat salad, but the lettuce doesn't digest. Juicing is good for you because it removes the fiber and leaves all the vitamins. You might want to try that.
07-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #51
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
Can pureed beans be considered low residue?
Nope, still has the fiber content.
07-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #52
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
OK these are things I'm looking for. So there are actually ways for me to still enjoy the foods I like. I hate this diet it makes me feel sluggish. I am juicing now which should help next I'm going to slowly cut out Gluten I'm starting to hate the taste of bread and its probably better for me anyway. There's not a lot I eat Ive been living on Ensure clears and vitamins I never really have an appetite. I love Bean soup so Maybe I could puree it Yumm!!! I read somewhere that butter lettuce is ok. Does anyone know? I miss my greens

On a side note I did purchase the boo Breaking the viscous cycle. Problem with some of these foods is I do have a small stricture. I have no idea where it is I thinks its on my left side bowel anyway it never bothers me they were not sure if it was scar tissue or inflammation when I was diagnosed. So does anyone with a Stricture go by this diet? Curious to know

TIA
I can't do beans at all, just not worth it for me.
07-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #53
Amy2

My Support Groups:
Nope, still has the fiber content.
And fiber, even in this form makes the body have to work hard, or ?

I'm trying to give my son the fiber and nutrition he needs, without stressing his body too much and without risking a blockage. And smoothies and purees seem to be the answer. Or am I wrong?

So many low residue foods are off limits because of the SCD.
07-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #54
cleuger

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
If I make a pot of beans for my Family usually what Ive been doing is taking the juice with ham and then dipping my cornbread in that Yumm but I would love have the beans if possible even pureed. Blockage is my main concern. I'm looking into a hand blender, went to Target earlier and the cheapest one was 39.00 which to me is not bad. Pea's are something else I truly miss is there a way to have those? does anyone eat them? Its funny before I was diagnosed I was eating all this stuff with no problem now I cant have it because my DR says so.
07-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #55
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
If I make a pot of beans for my Family usually what Ive been doing is taking the juice with ham and then dipping my cornbread in that Yumm but I would love have the beans if possible even pureed. Blockage is my main concern. I'm looking into a hand blender, went to Target earlier and the cheapest one was 39.00 which to me is not bad. Pea's are something else I truly miss is there a way to have those? does anyone eat them? Its funny before I was diagnosed I was eating all this stuff with no problem now I cant have it because my DR says so.
I eat regular peas and they don't bother me. I cook them till soft though. As long as you cook alot of things well, it seems not so bad. But beans give me pain really bad and splitpeas too. As much as I love my splitpea with ham soup, it kills me! My hubs doesn't like me eating that! LOL
07-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #56
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I so miss split pea soup but in going to try to strain and purée it. It probably won't be the same but that with a dallop of sour cream sounds amazing.
07-14-2013, 03:30 AM   #57
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I can tolerate fibre in small quantities, but yes, I also recently started having more smoothies, soups and juice to get vitamins, as I'm not getting so many fruits and vegetables in their normal forms. I can't really tell you the differences in digestion, but I do know they cause me less problems when pureed. If your son does alright with purees and smoothies, you might try him on some of the fruits and vegetables that are the easiest to tolerate - bananas, avocados and root vegetables. I can manage all of these pretty well. Especially if you do find the lentils still give him trouble - lentils are probably more likely to cause him difficulties than if you make a soup from root vegetables like carrots.

Also you can get vitamins from fortified breakfast cereals. As far as I know, most breakfast cereals are fortified. You have to be careful because some are very high fibre, but cereals like Cornflakes and Rice Krispies are not.

And another way of getting nutrients is from liquid supplements.

I'm not sure whether these are allowed on the SCD, I'm guessing the cereals aren't, but there is no reason that someone would have to be short of nutrients when eating low fibre, unless you have to an extremely strict low residue/low fibre diet, but a really strict low residue/low fibre diet would usually only be used short-term.
07-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #58
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
I so miss split pea soup but in going to try to strain and purée it. It probably won't be the same but that with a dallop of sour cream sounds amazing.
One good thing is when it is cooked thoroughly, it pretty much purees itself.
07-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #59
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Still that peel could be hard to digest. I might make it today and purée ill report on the outcome. Hopefully I won't be hunched over in pain.
07-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #60
Amy2

My Support Groups:
Son did fine with the lentil soup, so we will be trying other beans soon. Very happy, because he really needs the iron!!!

My lentil soup recipe is an old family favorite that just happens to be SCD legal (when you leave out the potatoes). So, it has the added bonus of being a familiar food.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Low Fiber/Residue Diet Support Group