Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » Are you allergic to Nickel?

View Poll Results: Are you diagnosed with Crohn's disease and allergic to nickel?
I am diagnosed with Crohn's disease and have a known allergy to nickel. 28 54.90%
I am diagnosed with Crohn's disease and definitely am NOT allergic to nickel. 7 13.73%
I am diagnosed with Crohn's disease and do not know if I'm allergic to nickel. 16 31.37%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

05-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
David
Co-Founder

Are you allergic to Nickel?

After posting this thread about nickel allergy and Crohn's disease and seeing the fascinating results, I thought I'd create a poll so we can get some actual numbers. Are you diagnosed with Crohn's disease and do you have a known allergy to nickel?
05-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I have no clue. Do they normally test for this on traditional environmental allergy tests?
06-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
pb

I am, big time!
06-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
What is made of nickel that you are allergic too?
06-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
pb

What is made of nickel that you are allergic too?
Not sure if you're directing this question to me, but for me it's jewellery, I cannot wear any jewellery that contains nickel or I get a rash from it.
06-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #6
Jane_MM

Hi, this is interesting. I've just clicked yes on the poll because I assume I am - red, itchy ears that weep from some earrings but not the anti-allergy/nickel free ones, and also react to some metal belt buckles if they touch my tummy. I had my ears pierced and found this out a few years before any Crohn's symptoms though. I wonder if it's doing something to my outside, is it definitely doing something to my insides?!
06-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
David
Co-Founder

I wonder if it's doing something to my outside, is it definitely doing something to my insides?!
I theorize it is. There is a lot of nickel in various foods and other environmental sources.
06-06-2013, 04:15 AM   #8
Jane_MM

It looks like it easily could be - I found another forum of nickel allergy sufferers, mainly from contact but many from food, and some also report other symptoms including bloating and tummy troubles. However it sounds almost impossible to eliminate nickel from food and contact, it seems to be in nearly everything! Plus it seems hard to get a list of what to avoid, as it often seems to depend on where something is grown (and fertiliser?) as to how much nickel gets in it. Anyway, thanks for your research; I will keep reading but it could well be worth trying to reduce intake and see if anything changes...

Just a thought, if you've ever researched other metals, no idea if it's linked at all but I also react badly to iron tablets and liquid? (lots of pain, d&v).
06-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
Angela78

I had skin testing for allergens earlier this year as I was diagnoised with psoriasis which may have been linked to humira or I may have gotten it anyway as its in my family either way the humira made it worse. Anyway on the patch testing the only substance out of 35 I reacted to was nickle. Always wondered why my ears got infected when I wore earrings now I know. Oy pure platinum or gold for me from now on.
05-21-2015, 04:15 AM   #10
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
I have not been diagnosed with Crohn's, but am allergic to nickel. So, not sure how I would have voted...

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
05-21-2015, 08:32 AM   #11
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
To this day only reacted to one pair of earrings, they said they were sterling silver but I doubt it at the price i paid, wonder if they had nickle in them.
I'm my own guinea pig.
My log with studies, journal of my experiments:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=72046
My Blog
https://beyondtheoddsfitness.wordpress.com/
06-08-2015, 08:02 PM   #12
teeny5

My Support Groups:
Allergic to nickel...yes. infected ears, rash from watches or welts from necklaces...no cheapie jewelry for me. Not officially diagnosed with Crohns (diagnosed IBD/colitis GI thinks it's Crohns but didn't do my colonoscopy and prometheus test came out negative even though bowels showed Crohns patterns.)

Previous meds: Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Entocort.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson"
06-09-2015, 06:30 AM   #13
David
Co-Founder

Pretty darn interesting poll results on this one.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » Are you allergic to Nickel?