Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Ask the Experts » Interview with Dr. Hal Gunn, the Founding CEO of Qu Biologics and Developer of "Site Specific Immunomodulation" (SSI)

06-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #61
gerrard

This sounds promising. May I ask when the trial is due to start?
Also, is there a particular reason why the results of the carribean trial have not been released?

Thanks.
06-04-2013, 12:16 AM   #62
Twiggy930
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
News story on Qu Biologic's Crohn's trial.

http://globalnews.ca/news/606100/new-clinical-trial-for-Crohn's-disease/
06-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #63
ashleyanderson

Thanks Twiggy930 for posting the news release!

Qu Biologics' Dr. Hal Gunn was interviewed in a Global TV news health segment about the Qu Crohn's clinical trial. Dr. Gunn talks about the immune system and how it relates to Crohn's disease.

We've also posted this interview on Global TV in Qu Biologics YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPoIg9bR9PA

I hope this helps,
All the best,

Ashley
06-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #64
ashleyanderson

Great questions, gerrard.

The trial has begun! :-) If you are interested, you can complete the pre-screening questionnaire to see if you are eligible by clicking here: https://www.qucrohnstrial.com/securequestionnaire/

Here is information about the compassion use program that you were asking about:

Ten (10) patients with uncontrolled persistent moderate to severe CD were treated with QBECO through a compassionate use program. Patients may have continued to receive conventional medical treatments and/or complementary therapies in addition to the SSI treatment. Seven of the ten patients reported full resolution of clinical symptoms with a course of QBECO treatment of three months or more. Four of these patients have had sustained clinical remission after discontinuing all medications including SSI treatment. The longest case of clinical remission reported is still ongoing, after almost 3 years. Three of the seven patients reporting full remission had follow-up colonoscopies or CT scan with confirmation of full remission. Nine of the ten patients were able to discontinue all other medications at some point while on QBECO treatment. (More information here: http://www.qucrohnstrial.com/ssi-int...cy-and-safety/).

I hope I answered your questions.
Thank you and all the best,
Ashley
06-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #65
ron50

My Support Groups:
In 1998 I had chemotherapy for stage 3 colon cancer. The primary agent was 5 flurouricil and it was enhanced with a drug called levamisole. It was mainly used in veterinary work as an anti-parasitic. It is an immunomodulator. It was banned around 2000 because of side effects some fatal . For me it was a nasty drug and I suspect it as the cause of some of my on going neurological problems. Ron.
06-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #66
Igor_Passau
Forum Monitor

In 1998 I had chemotherapy for stage 3 colon cancer. The primary agent was 5 flurouricil and it was enhanced with a drug called levamisole. It was mainly used in veterinary work as an anti-parasitic. It is an immunomodulator. It was banned around 2000 because of side effects some fatal . For me it was a nasty drug and I suspect it as the cause of some of my on going neurological problems. Ron.
What are you talking about!!!??? Look on current treatment of IBD and side effect!!!
06-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #67
gerrard

Great questions, gerrard.

The trial has begun! :-) If you are interested, you can complete the pre-screening questionnaire to see if you are eligible by clicking here: https://www.qucrohnstrial.com/securequestionnaire/

Here is information about the compassion use program that you were asking about:

Ten (10) patients with uncontrolled persistent moderate to severe CD were treated with QBECO through a compassionate use program. Patients may have continued to receive conventional medical treatments and/or complementary therapies in addition to the SSI treatment. Seven of the ten patients reported full resolution of clinical symptoms with a course of QBECO treatment of three months or more. Four of these patients have had sustained clinical remission after discontinuing all medications including SSI treatment. The longest case of clinical remission reported is still ongoing, after almost 3 years. Three of the seven patients reporting full remission had follow-up colonoscopies or CT scan with confirmation of full remission. Nine of the ten patients were able to discontinue all other medications at some point while on QBECO treatment. (More information here: http://www.qucrohnstrial.com/ssi-int...cy-and-safety/).

I hope I answered your questions.
Thank you and all the best,
Ashley
Thanks Ashley!
I live outside of Canada so I don't think I am eligible. Is the trial due to finish in 16 weeks time then? I'm looking forward to the results.
06-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #68
ashleyanderson

Hi Gerrard,

Even though you live outside of Canada, I would recommend you complete the pre-screening questionnaire so that if you are eligible, we can call you when it becomes available in your country. We are working hard to make this available to countries outside Canada. You can also speak with one of our representatives and share your interest in the trial so that we can stay connected with you.

Here is a link to speak with a Qu Crohn's Trial representative: http://www.qucrohnstrial.com/contacts/request-to-speak/

The 60-participant trial will not be complete in 16 weeks, as we are still recruiting. Stay tuned :-)

All the best,
Ashley
06-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #69
ashleyanderson

Hi ron50,

I am very sorry to hear about your experience. I am not sure how this might relate to the Qu Crohn's Trial. The therapy you used sounds very different from SSIs used in Qu Crohn's Trial.

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about SSI's as it pertains to Qu Crohn's Trial.

Best and kind regards,
Ashley
06-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #70
Pointy_ears
Forum Monitor

Thanks David this study looks very hopeful!
Meds: Azathioprine

"It's life Jim but not as we know it!"
06-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #71
ashleyanderson

Hi Everyone,

Here are some new videos created by Qu Biologics providing further information and details pertaining to the Qu Crohn's Trial:

Qu Crohn's Trial Participant video:
http://www.qucrohnstrial.com/trial-i...disease-trial/

Qu Crohn's Trial Treatment Information and Training Videos:

Treatment Injection Training:
http://www.qucrohnstrial.com/ssi-int...cy-and-safety/

Stool Collection:

Please let me know if you have any questions. It would be a pleasure to assist,

Best regards,
Ashley
07-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #72
ashleyanderson

Hi Everyone,

I have some very exciting news to share:

To minimize the financial burden of travel expenses incurred while participating in the trial, Qu Biologics is pleased to provide a travel allowance to trial participants living 150 kilometres or farther from the trial site. - See more at: http://www.qucrohnstrial.com/trial-i...vel-allowance/

Have a great day!
Ashley
07-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #73
spinnychick
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi Everyone,

I have some very exciting news to share:

To minimize the financial burden of travel expenses incurred while participating in the trial, Qu Biologics is pleased to provide a travel allowance to trial participants living 150 kilometres or farther from the trial site. - See more at: http://www.qucrohnstrial.com/trial-i...vel-allowance/

Have a great day!
Ashley
Ashley, if we were selected and turned it down due to the high expense/travel costs associated with it, are we now able to reverse our decision and be considered?
Methotrexate
5 months prednisone
Current:
Remicade
07-31-2013, 08:20 AM   #74
rollinstone

My Support Groups:
Is there any news on how the trial is coming along?
07-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #75
joe-swift

This is very promising for lots of people. Any people at all that can achieve remission without any side effects is a good thing. I'm open to taking anything that can help me so its good to see that there are companies out there that are aiming to help us treat the disease Thanks for getting the interview for us David
08-05-2013, 02:56 AM   #76
rollinstone

My Support Groups:
Just wondering if any has talked to dr gunn recently? David? I'm super interested in knowing how the trials are going
08-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #77
ashleyanderson

Hi Everyone!

I will keep everyone updated with how the trial is going as news comes out. Stay tuned

Spinnychick: absolutely! Please contact Qu directly: http://www.qucrohnstrial.com/contacts/
08-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #78
ashleyanderson

Hi everyone,

We wanted to inform you that the videos from patients who took part in our compassionate use program for Crohnís disease have been removed. While we recognize that these patients are happy to share their personal stories of their SSI treatment experience, we also respect the regulatory requirements that ensure the public is given information that is evidence-based and proven through controlled clinical trials.

The compassionate use program, which involved 10 patients with Crohnís disease, demonstrated promising results that supported further research in a larger-scale, formal clinical trial, which we have now begun.

We are excited about the potential of SSI treatment for Crohnís disease and look forward to sharing the results from our clinical trial.

Sincerely,
Ashley
08-16-2013, 12:55 AM   #79
rollinstone

My Support Groups:
Hi Ashley, will progressive results be released? Or only after the trial is completely finished?
08-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #80
ashleyanderson

Hi Joshuaaa,

Thank you for your interest in the Qu Crohn's Trial. We expect to release results after the trial is complete. We do not plan to release preliminary results.

Thanks,
Ashley
08-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #81
rollinstone

My Support Groups:
Thanks Ashley, the trial is supposed to be complete at the end of next year right? Also, any more word on insurance for international patients?
08-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #82
ashleyanderson

Hi Joshuaa,

The total duration of the study is 24 weeks. In addition, participants will receive follow-up calls from the study nurse for a period of one year from the time of their last dose of study treatment, for safety monitoring purposes.

I have no new updates for you as of yet for insurance for international patients. Stay tuned!

Take care,
Ashley
09-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #83
ashleyanderson

Hi Joshuaa,

The expected time to finish the current trial is August 2015. This is the date projected to finish the 12-month follow up period of the last enrolled subject.

I hope this helps!
Ashley
11-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #84
ashleyanderson

I'd like to update everyone on our clinical trial and let you know that we hope to be able to accept American residents within the next few weeks. We are finalizing the logistical details with our laboratory testing service.

A maximum of 30 U.S. and international participants will be allowed into the Qu Crohn's clinical trial. U.S. and other international participants who take the pre-screening questionnaire and register through the www.qucrohnstrial.com website are placed on a waitlist. Applicants on the waitlist will be contacted first once international participants are officially welcomed into the clinical trial.
Thank you for your patience.

Ashley
12-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #85
ashleyanderson

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share with you an audio interview and a video interview featuring Qu Crohn's Trial.

The first one is a podcast from the interview that Qu Biologics did with The Natural Health Show which aired this past weekend. We had the opportunity to talk about the trial. Dr. Hal Gunn and our Principal Investigator, Dr. Brian Bressler, were interviewed. Dr. Kevin Glasgow from the CCFC was also on the show. Click here to listen to the podcast ---> http://thenaturalhealthshow.ca/listen.html

The second is a video. Our IBD advisory team sent us some questions they felt would be helpful to answer. The panel video includes Dr. Hal Gunn, Dr. Brian Bressler and Dr. Simon Sutcliffe. Click here to watch the video ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6tIytz9ZAM

Have a great day!
Ashley
12-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #86
David
Co-Founder

Thanks for taking the time to share all of this Ashley
12-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #87
Reef08

The second is a video. Our IBD advisory team sent us some questions they felt would be helpful to answer. The panel video includes Dr. Hal Gunn, Dr. Brian Bressler and Dr. Simon Sutcliffe. Click here to watch the video
Have a great day!
Ashley
Hi Ashley,

I have a few questions:

1. In the video, the Chief Medical Officer says that he believes that 4 months of treatment are needed for permanent change to the immune response. Why is the trial only 8 weeks long? It doesn't seem like patients will get any long-term relief from the trial.

2. How long were the 4 patients that had sustained remission treated for?

3. If you take part in the trial, are you allowed to take part in future SSI trials (Phase2/Phase 3)?

Thanks!
12-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #88
Igor_Passau
Forum Monitor

Нi, you have to read the information the web about trial.
12-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #89
David
Co-Founder

Ashley, I was thinking about you guys today and reread through everything you've been saying. A couple questions:

1. I see that you are now allowing Americans in the trial (awesome). Posts above that you mentioned that there is now a travel stipend. Does the travel stipend cover Americans? And if so, is there a cap? For example, if someone is coming from Florida and has an expensive ticket, will it be covered?

2. You're trying to recruit 60 patients, correct? Are you allowed to share how many are currently enrolled?
12-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #90
rollinstone

My Support Groups:
Also wondering if the travel subsidy covers international patients? Thx!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Ask the Experts » Interview with Dr. Hal Gunn, the Founding CEO of Qu Biologics and Developer of "Site Specific Immunomodulation" (SSI)