Share Facebook

06-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
Skin boils

Can skin boils be caused by crohn's disease?
07-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Crohn's can cause a wealth of Extra Intestinal Manifestations. Erythema nodosum does start out as an abscess/boil and is common in the lower legs but can pop up in other areas of the body. Have you seen a dermatologist? Sorry for the late response 723crossroads.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
07-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
No, but I keep saying I will. I do have those red patches on my shins that started out itchy. They are finally just red patches now. But not real big. I haven't gooten a new boi;l lately, but they just show up sometimes. It's weird.
07-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Do they just spontaneously disappear or do you need some treatment? I agree it would be good to discuss it with your GI and a dermatologist. Something is causing this predisposition and maybe there is something that can help inhibit their growth.
07-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
No, they don't just disappear. It takes me cleaning them with antiseptic and I put Neosporin on till they go away. I did ask a Dr. about it and he said if it continues a lot then they would give me a few rounds of antibiotics which I am afraid to take because they really screwed me up last time with the bowels. I had an infection in my tooth and had to get a crown and they put me on really strong antibiotics and then again because they were worried it would come back after they did the crown. I flared for awhile after that.
07-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Do you use hibiclens on them? It's a really powerful antiseptic that is used in hospitals. Antibiotics may help when you get boils but it wouldn't prevent new ones from forming unless you are constantly taking antibiotics. I guess they aren't sure what to use to prevent it.
07-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
No, I use witchhazel, a natural astringent and it does work well for bug bites and cuts etc....
07-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
mish2575

My Support Groups:
Could it be Hidradenitis Suppurativa? where are the boils?
07-31-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
Mountaingem
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I got three of them when I first started Remicade. The doctor said it's a combination of immune suppression and inflammation that causes them in Crohnnies-but some people are more prone than others. I needed antibiotics and surgeries on mine, they went from small to huge in a few days.

I WILL STAY STRONG
I WILL FIGHT
I WILL WIN

Current Meds: Cimzia, Methotrexate, Prevacid, Sertraline, Nortryptaline, Prednisone, Atenelol
07-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
Could it be Hidradenitis Suppurativa? where are the boils?
I get an occasional one around my waistline. Also one on my breast last time, but it could've been a hair follicle backed up. I used to get them on my butt, but haven't in yrs.
07-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #11
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
As soon as they start, I start using antiseptic cleaner and teatree oil or witchazel on them and keep them covered with a band aid.
08-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
tillylala

My Support Groups:
Hi
I am newly diagnosed. In the last couple of days I have two big red lumps on my legs, I assumed insect bites (I usually get a allergy to bites when abroad) these are very similar, hard red lump, hot to touch, but I couldn't see a puncture mark for a bite, so wonder if it is related to Aza (4 weeks in) or Crohns.