Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Carrot juice for Crohn's Disease and IBD

05-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #31
bangarang

Just a quick note for people who make their own fresh juices.
Make sure you chew your juice. Yes I know that sounds funny but the chewing action mixes saliva with the juice allowing your body to more easily utilize and absorb the nutrition, just gulping it down or drinking it without chewing you'll get less nutrition.
08-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #32
assi

Did anyone try cabbage juice?did it help his/her colitis crohns?

Some homeopathic said carrot juice is not good for colitis
what do you think?
08-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #33
David
Co-Founder

I think it'll probably be different for different people and it's a matter of finding what works best for you. I wish I could provide something more substantive, but that's what we seem to find time and time again.
08-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #34
raj

I make juice every morning. Few apples bunch of carrots and a large beet. Working construction I don't want to risk sitting in in portapotty all day so I don't eat until I'm home. The juice gets me through the day.
08-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #35
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
David is right it will vary per person. Cabbage in cooked form bothers me but cabbage juice is tolerable in small amounts. I haven't had too much of the juice but have purchased the fermented one.

This study shows how it helps with ulcers http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1643665/
08-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #36
sid

many people have got good results with cabbage juice..especially in ulcer....I somehow cant tolerate cabbage in any form at all.

Crohn's since Jan 2011.

No meds.
Diet as per ayurveda.
Vitamin D and B12 shots.
Currently experimenting with Probiotics, starting 2016.
And a large joint mad family, thus stress cant touch me.
09-21-2013, 03:54 AM   #37
RoseM

I have been considering juicing for over a year now, and after my most recent trip to hospital (last week), I decided to order a Nutri Bullet, so I get as much nutrition from vegetables (and a little fruit) as possible. The solids that go in appear to come out as pure liquid - not sure how true this is, but I'm willing to try!

Carrot and beetroot are the vegetables that I am most looking forward to using, however I am also considering adding small amounts of banana... I've heard people say that during a flare, bananas really help them.

Any advice would be appreciated here.
09-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #38
musicislife52

My Support Groups:
Carrot juice is one thing I can always rely on to make me feel a little better.

Currently taking:
Whole foods multivitamin
Probiotics (including homemade sauerkraut and kombucha)
Digestive Enzymes
Sublingual B-12 spray
Tumeric Curcumin

Have taken:
Entocort - summer 2011/2013
Pentasta (up to 4g) - until 04/12/2011
Prednisone
Protonix
12-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #39
crohnsma

Has anyone used wheat grass juice with success?
12-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #40
If*

Love fresh carrot juice (organic) feels like totally soothing.
As for wheat grass - I have tried similar. Organic barley green with really good success. I do not use it all the time since I do not want my system to get use to it and not be able to use it to shock my system as crazy as that sounds. It helped heal a very difficult fistula for me.

Peace to you
12-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #41
Bmwife

Did anyone try cabbage juice?did it help his/her colitis crohns?

Some homeopathic said carrot juice is not good for colitis
what do you think?
Hello,

My husband juices cabbage, apple & adds liquid turmeric. He seems to tolerate it. Might add the carrots after reading this post.
09-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #42
SmellyMelly

When I was at my worst, I noticed that drinking carrot juice seemed to help my gut. It was just a theory of mine, I had no real backing for it.

I discovered this by accident too.

But it is not a theory. It is apparently very well-known that carrot juice can settle an upset tummy.

It works wonders for my UC

I go through about three kilos of organic carrots a week.

Vast improvements to UC since I started juicing and fasting on carrot juice will always reverse a flare up.

But I cannot stand bottled carrot juice; it tastes revolting.

Freshly made is the only way to go for me. I add turmeric root and ginger root to it, for additional taste and health benefits.

In fact, I think I will have one now - yum.
09-19-2014, 11:15 PM   #43
javanov

My Support Groups:
Thanks will try carrot juice
09-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #44
Khaley

My favorites are carrot, orange, ginger and 1/2 carrot 1/2 coconut milk sprinkled with grated nutmeg. I practically lived on the last one before my resection surgery when I was on full liquids.
Small bowel resection with 3 strictureplasties Aug. 2014
Currently on Azathioprine 150mg, Remicade
02-19-2015, 05:34 AM   #45
ganesha

I juice twice a day. Since I started juicing, I almost forgot I had Crohn's. I don't use a lot of carrots because they are high in sugar but I get plenty of vitamin A in my juices. I cannot believe how great I feel and I know juicing is the reason.
Indeed fructose from the carrots may be a problem and especially so in a flare. You said "you don't use a lot of carrots" - what exactly this means in terms of juice quantity/ day?
Thank you
03-03-2015, 05:21 AM   #46
kikig

My Support Groups:
General question, but I've been debating about juicing for Protein Losing Enteropathy. I've found that carrot juice/soup is great but with other juices/soup combinations, I get alot of heartburn. Anyone else find this?
07-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #47
drewpalermo
Banned

My Support Groups:
I see a lot of you touch upon the vitamin A benefits with carrots, but they have others:

"3. The juice is also an excellent source of many nutrients in a balanced formula that is superb for most people. These include vitamins A (beta carotenes), B, C, E, and others. " drlwilson.com/Articles/CARROT JUICE.HTM

Also mentioned in that article is that it has one of the most bioavailable forms of calcium. And to get in 10-12oz of carrot juice a day, I've read 8 ounces you'd get from 1 pound of carrots!
07-12-2015, 11:19 AM   #48
sid

I have restarted wheatgrass. Just to increase my energy.
07-19-2015, 04:03 PM   #49
Petra

A new juicer is high on my list. I hope to get one in the next few weeks.
I had one, but it wasn't very good. Still loved the carrot and apple juice I made with it though.

Juicing is very healthy.

Last edited by Lisa; 07-21-2015 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Removed link and reference to commercial web site
07-22-2015, 07:46 AM   #50
InstantCoffee

My Support Groups:
Raw carrots make me feel full / bloated and premade carrot juice makes me feel gassy and I think it increases my frequency.

I really hate juicing stuff myself, cleaning the juicer is such a headache.

I think they're usually okay boiled up in a soup though.

Are baby carrots and regular carrots different in any aspect that effects their digestibility?
I'm my own guinea pig.
My log with studies, journal of my experiments:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=72046
My Blog
https://beyondtheoddsfitness.wordpress.com/
08-30-2017, 07:09 AM   #51
Crohn2357

My Support Groups:
While making carrot juice, one uses a lot of carrots (if you're drinking a lot every day) and though drinking the juice is a great way to hydrate your body, I'm worried about it its sugar content.

As you can see HERE, one large carrot contains 3.5 grams of sugar. Now, it may not sound much, but if you're using a lot of carrots, then the sugar content can affect your intestines badly.

What do you guys think?

Maybe diluting the juice with water can help solve this issue OR, instead of juicing, carrot smoothie would be even better I guess.

Last edited by Crohn2357; 08-30-2017 at 10:08 AM.
08-30-2017, 03:47 PM   #52
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Raw carrots make me feel full / bloated and premade carrot juice makes me feel gassy and I think it increases my frequency.

I really hate juicing stuff myself, cleaning the juicer is such a headache.

I think they're usually okay boiled up in a soup though.

Are baby carrots and regular carrots different in any aspect that effects their digestibility?
I cant handle raw vegetables.
10-14-2017, 06:18 AM   #53
MaryCherub

When I was at my worst, I noticed that drinking carrot juice seemed to help my gut.
Not your imagination. I have found this too. It REALLY helps my gut. Last time I had a flare, I just drunk carrot juice for a few days. Flare cleared up. I brought some carton carrot juice once and thought it was extremely revolting. But I really love my own fresh carrot juice. I wonder how it helps?
10-14-2017, 06:21 AM   #54
MaryCherub

but not during a period of flares.
Never heard this. If I ever have a flare, first thing I do is stop eating and survive on juice and water for a few days, and the flare clears up very quickly.
10-14-2017, 06:27 AM   #55
MaryCherub

then the sugar content can affect your intestines badly.
Vastly different from having a chocolate bar or cola though.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Carrot juice for Crohn's Disease and IBD