Share Facebook

08-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #31
Malgrave

My Support Groups:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...69527413000830
08-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #32
wildbill_52280

podcast of a women who used fecal transplants to correct polycystic ovary syndrome, and other issues she believes were brought on by antibiotics.

http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/08/how-...d-karens-life/
08-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #33
wildbill_52280

just reading a new article in new york times, and this person was tracking their gut microbiota during a course of amoxicillin and observed many negative changes. i have always suspected my crohns to have been caused by a course of amoxiciliin i took in feb 2008, now here is another piece of info that supports my theory, in addition to what i have found in scientific literature.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/19/ma...&ref=magazine&

One of the more striking results from the sequencing of my microbiome was the impact of a single course of antibiotics on my gut community. My dentist had put me on a course of Amoxicillin as a precaution before oral surgery. (Without prophylactic antibiotics, of course, surgery would be considerably more dangerous.) Within a week, my impressively non-Western “alpha diversity” — a measure of the microbial diversity in my gut — had plummeted and come to look very much like the American average. My (possibly) healthy levels of prevotella had also disappeared, to be replaced by a spike in bacteroides (much more common in the West) and an alarming bloom of proteobacteria, a phylum that includes a great many weedy and pathogenic characters, including E. coli and salmonella. What had appeared to be a pretty healthy, diversified gut was now raising expressions of concern among the microbiologists who looked at my data.

“Your E. coli bloom is creepy,” Ruth Ley, a Cornell University microbiologist who studies the microbiome’s role in obesity, told me. “If we put that sample in germ-free mice, I bet they’d get inflamed.” Great. Just when I was beginning to think of myself as a promising donor for a fecal transplant, now I had a gut that would make mice sick. I was relieved to learn that my gut community would eventually bounce back to something resembling its former state. Yet one recent study found that when subjects were given a second course of antibiotics, the recovery of their interior ecosystem was less complete than after the first.
08-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #34
rollinstone

My Support Groups:
I was on doxycycline for ages for my skin, I think that played a part but its impossible for me to prove it.
08-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #35
wildbill_52280

I was on doxycycline for ages for my skin, I think that played a part but its impossible for me to prove it.

They have identified that particular antibiotic as a risk factor for ibd already, and for crohn's in particular.

http://www.internalmedicinenews.com/...f9dbae8ac.html

Last edited by wildbill_52280; 08-22-2013 at 05:39 PM.
08-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #36
rollinstone

My Support Groups:
I wish I could sue haha
08-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #37
william4

my son had a amoxicilan in sept 2012 dx crohns march 2013
08-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #38
william4

Science News
... From universities, journals, and other research organizations
Save Email Print Share Fecal Microbiota Transplantation as Effective Treatment for C. Difficile and Other Diseases
Aug. 22, 2013 — Fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) has emerged as a highly effective treatment for recurrent Clostridium difficile (C. Difficile) infection, with very early experience suggesting that it may also play a role in treating other gastrointestinal (GI) and non-GI diseases. The topic is examined in the Review Article, "An overview of fecal microbiota transplantation: techniques, indications, and outcomes" in the August issue of GIE: Gastrointestinal Endoscopy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Share This:

Fecal microbiota transplantation refers to the infusion of a suspension of fecal matter from a healthy individual into the GI tract of another person to cure a specific disease. FMT has received public attention recently with the publication of several studies showing that stool is a biologically active, complex mixture of living organisms with great therapeutic potential for Clostridium difficile infection and perhaps other GI and non-GI disorders. C. Difficile is a bacterium recognized as the major causative agent of colitis (inflammation of the colon) and diarrhea that may occur following antibiotic intake. The disruption of the normal balance of colonic microbiota as a consequence of antibiotic use or other stresses can result in C. Difficile infection. It is now estimated that 500,000 to 3 million cases of C. Difficile occur annually in U.S. Hospitals and long-term care facilities.

According to authors Lawrence J. Brandt, MD and Olga C. Aroniadis, MD, Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, New York, current first-line treatment for C. Difficile includes cessation of the culprit antibiotic, if possible, and treatment with metronidazole, vancomycin, or fidaxomicin, depending on disease severity. Most patients with C. Difficile initially respond to this treatment, but recurrence rates are 15 percent to 35 percent. Patients who have one recurrence have up to a 45 percent chance of a second recurrence, and after a second recurrence, up to 65 percent of patients will have a third. Recurrences are usually treated with additional courses of metronidazole, oral vancomycin, or prolonged oral vancomycin in various pulsed-tapered regimens, occasionally "chased" by other antibiotics such as rifaximin. The high recurrence rates of C. Difficile prompted the need for alternative therapies, to which the authors believe FMT offers a rational and relatively simple approach.

The Review Article addresses FMT methodology, including donor and recipient screening, donor selection, how FMT is performed and safety. FMT is most commonly performed via colonoscopy; however, donor feces also have been administered via a nasogastric or nasoenteric tube, gastroduodenoscopy, and enema. All the studies have reported remarkable cure rates without serious adverse effects directly attributable to FMT. The article notes that current literature on FMT for C. Difficile predominantly comprises single-center case series and case reports, but also a meta-analysis, two systematic reviews, and one recently published randomized, controlled trial. In all, 92 percent of patients were cured of their recurrent C. Difficile, with a range of 81 percent to 100 percent.

In the only long-term follow-up study of FMT to date that included 5-medical centers and 77 patients who had FMT, the patients experienced a 91 percent primary cure rate and an astounding 98 percent secondary cure rate, the latter defined as cure enabled by use of antibiotics to which the patient had not responded before the FMT or by a second FMT. Patients in this study had symptoms for an average of 11 months before FMT, and most (74 percent) reported resolution of diarrhea within three days. FMT also has been successfully used to treat a variety of other GI disorders including inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, and constipation. There is a growing literature on an altered intestinal microbiome in these and other disorders.
08-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #39
wildbill_52280

update on my fecal transplant:

i found a donor, but they are 2 hours away so we are just waiting for our schedules to line up. im hoping they wont drop out on me, but it seems they are dedicated to helping me do this. well here i go, as soon as me and my donor can hook up!! hopefully anywhere from today to one week from now. i will keep you updated!!

RANT:why am i going through these lengths to cure(maybe) my disease?? i dont know, you could call it years and years of frustration leading to anger of the current medical system in looking for advice from doctors on health, and getting careless stares while I suffered from acne and other issues. I recall reading all the acne message boards of people that have taken accutane 2,3,4,5, and up to 6x and still had acne. i realized, they(doctors scientists) dont understand the human body nor how it works....yet. NEVER did i get advice on dietary science in any of my doctors visits(philosophical differences). in the end i learned i could improve my diet and my skin also improved quite a bit, i guess i dont see accutane as my final option anymore this = hope, when previously i only thought the drugs were THE ONLY WAY i almost commited suicide when i seemed to have a bad reaction to accutane in 2007. so when i was devastated with the diagnosis of crohns in 2009, i had a very different attitude from the beginning and also noticed that with dietary changes, i could improve my disease progression and state, but it didnt cure it. but why has both diseases dramatically effected by diet? and why so many testimonys similar to mine on these acne message boards?? why was the SCD diet and its theory so helpful to managing my IBD symptoms? this would begin my obsession with science,philosophy and intestinal bacteria as a possible explanation for all of these(and more) health problems. its somewhat become my life's mission, one of the many.

I read a book by an (old)scientist elie metchnikoff, which theorized gut bacteria to somehow play a large role on longevity and involved many disease states, now i believe we are on the brink of explaining many diseases(beyond genetic), and fecal transplants might be the wave of the future of medicine, and guess what, poop is free!! and most tragically, 50 years of outdated popular theories of disease states or germ theory of disease and the resulting proliferation of antibiotics have only made us become sicker!!!

interestingly, my mother has been active in alternative health circles for years, she had told me about the horrors of antibiotics years before, me being a little bit on the side scientism(only scientists and scientific methods can produce knowledge) so i thought i could easily ignore these warnings from laymen right?, and also not truly understanding to scientific process as far as putting some value on testimonys, didnt think much of it. but in these alternative health circles it was "common knowledge" that antibiotics can damage your health. and guess what, now with what science is understanding and verifying, it is looking like those testimonys are factual. i have enough scientific data now to prove almost conclusively that augmentin(amoxicillin-clavulanic acid) could have caused my crohns disease. if not conclusively then at least a 99% probability.

maybe im crazy, but im the crazy guy who has read the literary works of some of the greatest philosophers and scientists in history, if thats what crazy people do then, call me nuts!! i have risked death multiple times just to avoid any further medications and to learn how the human body really works, which now i believe meds are mostly safe, but unfortunatly thats the route ive taken. right now im taking lialda, but i only take one pill a day, as any more brings on symptoms of joint pain. who knew a cause of IBD joint pain was the very medication we are taking!!! insane. but the lialda barely improves my symptoms, only helps a little. turmeric is more effective really.

i do realize that this may not cure my crohn's, but the potential is there. i realize that these things need to be proven scientifically, but that's exactly what im going to do. i suppose that's what they would call a bias, but its also called independant thinking and also what scientists are supposed to be good at, giving your own reasoning and observations, merit, sometimes, over and above others, even supposedly more educated others. mainly to reach a true understanding of the universe, and not for insane some ego trip. i definitely took the time to read all existing theories and ideas, and im in no way arrogant or on some ego trip, im here to learn the truth and live a better life.

Last edited by wildbill_52280; 08-28-2013 at 12:29 PM.
08-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #40
rollinstone

My Support Groups:
Goodluck brother, keep us posted, I got my fingers crossed for you, just remember one pill might not be enough, especially when you have different types of phylum there that may inhibit the donors bacteria from sticking, I hope it goes well, keep us posted and stay safe
08-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #41
wildbill_52280

I basically use SCD diet principles and that alone has me at one solid bm a day without any meds, except one lialda a day which i confirmed is not responsible at all for my bowel control, it is the scd principles, as whenever i stray from them, diarhea immediately returns.

So for the most part, i am controlling the bad bacteria with SCD, or keeping the levels very low.

Last edited by wildbill_52280; 12-01-2013 at 02:48 PM.
09-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #42
wildbill_52280

thin mice given fecal transplant from obese human becomes obese.
obese mice given fecal transplant from thin human become thin.

Published: September 5, 2013
new york times By GINA KOLATA
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/06/he...anted=all&_r=0
09-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #43
rollinstone

My Support Groups:
have u started ur transplants yet dude?
09-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #44
wildbill_52280

found a new study on fecal transplant for U.C. i will add this to the guide in my first post.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/N...nsplant&rank=4
09-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #45
wildbill_52280

have u started ur transplants yet dude?
I hooked up with my donor.
I may start today or tomorrow havent decided yet.

Last edited by wildbill_52280; 12-01-2013 at 02:49 PM.
09-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #46
rollinstone

My Support Groups:
maaan those clinical trials are near where I live! except theyre for UC, ohwell promising either way
09-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #47
wildbill_52280

its official!!

i took my first fecal transplant pill 40 minutes ago.
09-09-2013, 04:16 AM   #48
rollinstone

My Support Groups:
keep us posted man
09-09-2013, 05:37 AM   #49
Tracy Mac

Anecdotal evidence suggests that Crohn's is harder to cure with fecal transplant and is only one part of the recovery toolbox, however it can definitely help. Check out Genevieve's FMT Success Story at the Power of Poop website. We also have two members on the FMT facebook group who have gone into remission with FMT.
09-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #50
rollinstone

My Support Groups:
I think its ileitis that is supposably a little bit harder, colonic crohns is a different sub-type in my opinion, I think if the microbial balance can be restored that will be half the problem fixed for some but maybe 100% for others, fingers crossed either way.
09-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #51
wildbill_52280

well after my first pill yesterday, im still alive!!!! no bad effects to speak of.

way too soon to conclude very much but 2 hours after taking the pill i seemed to get a slight energy boost, and each time it would have reached an effected area i seemed to hear and feel some slight gurgling sensations, which were not clearly related to the fecal transplant pill, but may have indicated something positive going on, definitely nothing getting worse tho. also when everything would have hit my ileum and colon, ~4-6 hours after taking it with the a meal, i experienced increased physical strength it seemed.Low energy and low physical strength is something i have dealt with and is a symptom of active crohn's/IBD.

so my interpretation from this first experience is that something may have changed positively in bodily functions and symptoms related to disease, but the effects may have been too weak to clearly come to any conclusions, but i passed the first test and that is, i experienced no bad effects associated with the pills i made, so today i will take 3 pills with my first meal instead of one, although this still may be too weak of a dose.

as tracy mac stated, existing evidence suggests it is much harder to treat crohn's with a fecal transplant then U.C. it seems with crohns you need a strong enough application of FMT, that is sustained for it to have a good effect, im not sure i will be able to achieve this with the pills i have made, if i have to take 15-20 pills a day then that is actually not too hard but making them is more difficult then taking them, but i have almost got my method perfected by now.

just a reminder tho, i have my diarhea under control with my diet of no lactose or sucrose/Specific Carbohydrate Diet diet, and this i assume/hope will make it easier to make the new bacteria re-establish themselves, eliminating the need for multiple full strength enemas, but much of this is unknown territory and i will have to change my strategy according to the evidence i find in my experiences.

also, another option is to take it with a fiber supplement such as inulin, which is classified as a prebiotic. currently im taking it with a bowl of oatmeal, which has fiber that the bacteria can feed from, but may not be as powerful of a prebiotic when compared to inulin.

Last edited by wildbill_52280; 09-09-2013 at 12:49 PM.
09-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #52
Igor_Passau
Forum Monitor

you have to use pills that will be resistant to gastric juice otherwise all bacteria will be not survive!
09-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #53
wildbill_52280

you have to use pills that will be resistant to gastric juice otherwise all bacteria will be not survive!
no they will survive, this is the route they took at birth to get in the gut. Acid resistance/tolerance is a way to define a probiotic bacteria anyway.

Last edited by wildbill_52280; 09-18-2013 at 02:15 PM.
09-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #54
wildbill_52280

The bacterial cocktail pill that Rebiotix is working on is not derived from fecal material but from bacteria that the company believes to serve as foundations for a healthy human digestive system. This may be the first in a 21st-century wave of probiotics that are FDA-approved for microbiota restoration therapy in ill patients.
http://www.medicaldaily.com/rebiotix...diff-infection

for those of you who have been keeping up with this issue in this thread, i finally found an article that claims that rebiotix is definitely making a fecal transplant pill. but one issue is, its NOT based on the full fecal flora, so it is unlikely this will ever be used to treat IBD and if they do try it, it will likely not be as effective as the full flora, but i do not know this for sure yet. this may be bad news for us. but we may still look forward to treating IBD with a donors stool, and perhaps later the real fecal transplant pill will arrive, but as of now, there is nothing i know of beside the company rebiotix that is making one.

i also bet this is the real reason the fda started to tightly regulate fecal transplants, as before(like not even a few months ago), they didn't seem to care which doctors did them, until the massive potential was understood. Then perhaps a company needed control over their market. ok sorry for the conspiracy theories!! but it does make me wonder though why when we knew little about them and very uncertain, they were not controlled,but now we know they are pretty safe so they have increase the regulations and they are harder to get?? sounds ass backwards because if the fda is truly protecting us, the regulations would have been tighter because we knew so little. could they be protecting big businesses sometimes too, rather then us? in this case, i dont see why they would want to tighten regulations when the safety profile is become greater. only other reason is that the good evidence that exists now may encourage many more to try it, and i suppose, they should know how to do it right, by someone with experiance in the health field and a proper education.

either way, real poo is almost certainly better! maybe the work im doing is valuable after all!!

Last edited by wildbill_52280; 09-12-2013 at 09:25 PM.
09-12-2013, 04:28 AM   #55
sir.clausin

Wildbill: I strongly believe FDA etc. will do all in their Power to regulate and don´t come out with a Product that could cure people. Why would they? Everything is about Money, so yes I believe in the Conspiracy theory.

It´s when you become ill, when you really start to see things in another perspective. It´s all about keeping people in enough good shape so that they can go to work.
09-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #56
wildbill_52280

UPDATE: i said earlier my fecal transplant pills may not have had any bacteria in them, but now it seems some changes are taking place. so my 1st attempt at the fecal transplant pill project may not be a complete failure just yet.

the changes are both simultaneously good and bad, so im not sure if things are being corrected or not. but i think its safe to say, some changes have taken place as a result of the fecal transplant pills i made. it could be another week before i have any better answers then this.

Trying real hard to make accurate judgments here and not think wishfully or falsely interpret any of my observations, nor lead anyone on. i will readily admit a "temporary" failure, but, i cant say i failed just yet because of the peculiar changes taking place.

stay tuned!!

Last edited by wildbill_52280; 09-16-2013 at 11:31 PM.
09-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #57
sir.clausin

That´s awesome news!
09-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #58
rlslmshdy

This is great Wildbill. Any chance of you giving details of how you made your fecal transplant pills. Also I would think you would need to up your doseage a lot. When you compare the amount of fecal matter your ingesting compared to a Fecal transplant enema.
09-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #59
wildbill_52280

i'll post my conclusions and experiances in a few days.

I will NOT be taking any more of the pills i made. But i will be making a second attempt with improvements. making a fecal transplant pill is alot harder then i had imagined.
09-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #60
sir.clausin

I thought I´d bring some good news. A close friend of mine sent me this SMS:

"After 85 daily FMTs to treat Crohns Colitis, I had a scope today which showed no signs of inflammation. This is a milestone considering I've pretty much always had inflammation the past 15-years."