Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Traveling with Crohn's

11-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #61
Scaryman
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
A couple points I like to add to this if I can: I have something called air ambulance.com basically they do international travel or cover international travel. Basically the requirements are if you're inpatient in a hospital in foreign country or anywhere 150 miles from your home and the doctor you're in the hospital with in-hospital you want to go to agree that you can be transferred were having need to be transferred they will make the arrangements and transfer you to a hospital of your choosing. That should cover the worst case scenario to get you back in country if you're really really bad.
One problem I do have a question about is we travel were some of us on Himara travel with medications like needles passing through TSA might prove to be a challenge. Those of us who have ileostomy's, might have other issues going through bio scanners. I cannot attest to TSA and ileostomy as I do not have one. But I would not go to a Third World country with our disease. That should be for obvious reasons. For people traveling overseas along Mikey different thing traveling with a companion or so, I know that I'd be traveling alone so that I have to make extreme arrangements with doctors and medication. As for telling stewardess on airplane your condition I recommend against that based on personal experience on Southwest Airlines. I would just go ahead and make the decision if you feel you need to sit near lavatory then do so on your own if you can. They told me off the plane I had to speak to an airline doctor about my Crohn's disease and I got kicked off. Just wanted to give you guys some feedback on that.
Remicade- failed with infusion reaction.
Mesalamine-another failure
Entecourt - fail- no help.
currently on Methotrexate 25mg and Humira combo.
Folic Acid Supplement
Hyclosomine,Ultram,vicoden for pain as needed
Extended right Hemocolectomy 5/24/13 Univ.Of Chicago
11/7/13- small crohns ulcer at surgical site (active).
11-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #62
Susan2

My Support Groups:
Yes, it's really important to have adequate insurance when travelling overseas. I travel a fair amount and have found that some companies will not cover me, or will give only reduced coverage, once they find out that I have Crohn's. If you shop around, however, or get advice from your local Crohn's and Colitis association, you will find an insurance company that will cover you.

I have travelled with needles, but only in my checked in luggage, so I don't know how difficult it is to get needles through security, even with a doctor's certificate. I have an ileostomy but haven't yet come across a bio scanner when travelling, however I don't think that it should create a problem.

As to Third World Countries, they can be a challenge but, with adequate preparation and precautions when you are there, do not need to be ruled out entirely. I have travelled a number of times in Africa and Asia and once in Equador and I know that some of the Forum members, like Samboi, have also travelled in Asia. I have had one situation where I was badly dehydrated from a combination of vomitting and diarrhoea, but not badly enough to be hospitalised. Yes, I get diarrhoea, but then so do many of the people around me who do not have IBD; I carry my trusty Imodium and also a stronger prescription anti-diarrhoea medication. I also carry anti-nausia medication and antibiotics, but have never had to use those.

I have never told an airline that I have Crohn's although, if I am using a travel agent I always ask them to get me an aisle seat, if possible. Some airlines will let you see what seats are unoccupied and let you choose from those.
12-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #63
Mayuko

Hello!

I have a few questions, I'm an American but I'm currently living in Japan and I was diagnosed with Crohn's in Japan in February of this year. I am travelling back to America in a few weeks for the Christmas holidays and I'm wondering what I should bring? This will be the first time I'll be going to America since I've been diagnosed and I have never been hospitalized in America so I don't know how Crohn's treatment works in America. I don't expect any problems since I've been in remission for a while now, but just in case. I've seen people say to bring medical records but mine are in Japanese so I'm not sure if they'll be helpful. I'm on Pentasa and another anti-diarrhea medicine both of which I take three times a day, should I bring a doctor's note or just a prescription? I'm staying for 18 days and I'm currently taking 9 pills a day so I'll have to take a lot of pills with me. Luckily, I have insurance here which covers me for 30 days in my home country. I am glad this thread reminded me to check that and bring my insurance info with me!

I know this is a strange situation so I understand if I can't get answers here, just thought I'd try! This thread has been very helpful already! I have two flights, the longer one is 13 hours and the whole trip is about 18 hours all together and I am really dreading it! Before I was diagnosed with Crohn's I would feel very ill during these long flights (which I now think is probably due to the fact I had Crohn's but didn't know it yet) so I'm hoping to make this one as painless as possible!!

Last edited by Mayuko; 12-03-2012 at 12:22 AM.
02-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #64
Martha

I always put my meds in the hotel room safe. You should always have travel insurance which covers crohns even if you dont think you will need it. I found the actual UK crohns web site charged way more for travel insurance than what you can get in moneysupermarket. I always have a food bag in my pocket, the ones with the zip on them, just in case I feel sick. I would avoid the plane food and take some plain biscuits and crisps
02-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #65
Kinsey

My Support Groups:
My son went to the US Embassy when he got to Slovenia when he was just 17. They were great help in an emergency.
03-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #66
sherrim

Hi All,

I just found this forum tonight, but plan to be an active member.

I am 1000s of miles from home with my husband we are due to fly tomorrow but we are both freaked out because true to form I am having a terrible flare.

We have been here 8 days and only 1 of them have I been able to leave the hotel. I am now so weak that I cannot walk to the toilet alone.

I am, actually we are desperate for ideas on how to get me home.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sherrim
03-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #67
Kinsey

My Support Groups:
You must have a wheel chair waiting for you at the airport, call ahead and they will let the other end of your trip know that they need to meet you plane and have a wheelchair. Someone will be there to push the wheel chair as you husband probably has some of your luggage to carry. They are good about that if you call ahead.

Kinsey
03-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #68
Axelfl3333

This probably not recommended worked for me no food 12 hours before flight,2 loperamide couple of hours before one as I board,it worked for me.
03-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #69
Artisan105
Yondaime

My Support Groups:
I think everyone covered most of the important details. I would recommend you carry most of your medications on your carry-on. And maybe a little bottle with your daily worth of medication handy. Why not just put everything in the check-in bag? Because your bag might get lost. There is a possibility it might get mixed up; then you are basically screwed. I suggest the little bottle with the daily amount of meds because you don't want to open up all the medicine bottles in the middle of the flight. People are going to think you are a drug dealer or have a serious disease or something. :]

Always know where the bathrooms are. Eat light. Don't indulge in foods you know will harm you. Carry some sanitary wipes if you can. Be prepared. Think of the worst case scenario and prepare for it. It is always comforting to know when something happens you are ready for it. Less stress. More fun. Good luck!

Current Meds:
(Remission)
-Asacol 400mg 2/day.
-Remicade 500mg 8weeks(IV).

My Crohn's Story:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showpost....29&postcount=1

My Suggestions:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showpost....43&postcount=2

My Music List:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showpost....72&postcount=1
04-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #70
rehopeh

Not sure how helpful this may prove to be, but one thing my husband had started doing on long road trips was bring along (and wear) some of those Men's Depends "diapers", just in case he had the urge to use the restroom, but couldn't find one or get to one soon enough. They say that stress can trigger Crohn's flare-ups, so these diapers just helped take an edge off that stress of "What if I can't find a bathroom in time??"

Husband diagnosed 2008
Married 2011
Abscess Drainage Procedure 12-28-2012
Ileostomy 3-29-2013
04-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #71
Karen
FRIEND 4 1 & ALL

My Support Groups:
One important tip I learned with my hubby { the crohnnie } take your food journal with you !!!!
04-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #72
ryansbronco

My Support Groups:
I find train travel works best for me. At most of the smaller stations you can usually pic your own seat. Isle tends to be best and towards the rear of the car. Normally I just sleep it off, but if i need to I can walk it off
04-30-2013, 05:55 AM   #73
KeithK28

"...Even though Crohn's is manageable by ourselves with dietary care..."

Really? What dietary care exactly?
05-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #74
purdueCrohns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Culturelle (probiotic) seems to help a TON with the problems I used to have with differences in water for those moments when bottled water isn't available.
07-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #75
Ahumado

Don't eat or drink before...fly in the PM if possible. Don't touch anything and keep some antiseptic wash in your pocket. Anything you don't want lost keep in your pocket
08-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #76
Careyearl

My Support Groups:
I have travelled a fair amount with my meds on me going through security. As an insulin dependant diabetic as well as a CD suffer I have never had problems with my needles. I carry the box with the prescription on it. I have travelled within Canada, the United States, Mexico and the UK. I also have a letter from my dr. and a last of prescriptions from my pharmacy. January will be mt first time travelling to Florida with my humira. Has anyone had any problems with the cold gel packs?
09-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #77
Pippio

I'm actually about to see your country in a few weeks. I've had Crohn's for 20 plus years, and travel on a regular basis from New Zealand. Take meds., and all will be great. Enjoy your trip, as I will mine.
09-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #78
Boplanman

I have traveled all over the world. First thing is bring travel toilet paper most countries don't supply it. Make sure your meds is in carry on! Bring Imodium it will help a ton!! On the plane you can get up a lot and if the plane isn't full ask the stewardess if you can have an aisle seat and explain. Bring extra clothes in carry on and try to just relax, stress makes it worse. Know how to ask for the bathroom " puedo ir al bano?" You will do great dont let crohns hinder traveling. I was amazed I could travel
09-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #79
fromthegut

I hope all went well for you. Some excellent suggestions
09-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #80
Kit

Some of my travel tips:
I don't eat a lot the day before I fly, but make sure I drink plenty of water. I always travel with baby wipes/flushable wipes for clean up with extra clothes/underwear. (especially in the carry on) I do pack my medicines in my carry on, so if the luggage gets lost I have them, if you have enough you can pack more in the luggage so if your meds get stolen you still will have them.

As far as eating I agree, stay away from raw vegetables and stick with foods you know don't aggravate symptoms.

I have not traveled out of my country yet, so I don't have travel tips for that, but copying drivers license, credit cards, and passport are a good idea.
10-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #81
Sunione

My Support Groups:
Kudos to all Chronies that travel outside your country. Frankly I would never consider such a thing as I get stressed too easily and prolonged stress is one of my triggers. However, I do need to get away from home and as an avid photographer and artist, I love going to new places. My solution was a camper van. It has a bathroom and a bed. I keep it stocked with bottled water, foods I know I can tolerate, OTC medicines, several changes of clothes, wipes etc, that way I can easily go on day trips or over nighters. Next week we are planning to go leaf peeping in the Berkshires and are hoping to stay for 4-5 nights at a campground. This will be the longest time I have spent away from home in years.....except for hospital stays!
10-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #82
Crohns Warrior ((Kristy)

I recently got back from the Bahamas and I did have some issues while I was there, but please make sure that you stay away from the spicey foods, as well as vegetables, I have had Crohns disease now for years and the best advice that I can give you is watch closely what you eat, and stay AWAY from the veggies, a normal person who doesnt have the disease has a hard time digesting vegetables, imagine what our system goes through when we try to digest them, also stay away from nuts; anything that is high in fiber. Make sure that you take all of your Crohns meds and also make sure that if your doctor has prescribed pain medicine that you take it with and always take extra (of all of your meds) for those just in case moments. Also, depending on how you are traveling; I would ask for the motion sickness patch they work great if you are traveling by boat; but, they also work for planes as well, our system gets a little shaky when we are doing anything that causes our gut to move around. Stay away from alcohol, it can throw you in a flare in no time, and stress can do the same, the last thing that you want is to go into a full flare while you are away from home! It may sound like a lot right now, but once you get used to traveling it will become like second nature to you! It is much better to be prepared for the what if's than to be stuck over there and the worst case scenario happens! My motto is "over prepare or stay here"! I hope you have a great time!
10-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #83
Crohns Warrior ((Kristy)

One more thing, I used to swear by water to keep from dehydrating, however my dr's informed me that while it does help all that you do is void it out (urinate) which means that you don't keep any of it in and it takes a whole lot of water to hydrate you. When if you sneak in a coke it has calories and helps your caloric intake which also means that you are holding more of it in. The carbonation also helps to ease your stomach and Coke is what works best for me. Also try not to eat the day before you travel, that way the stress from traveling doesn't have you running to the bathroom every 5 mins! Make sure to take baby wipes with you as well, if you do have multiple "meetings" in the restroom you don't want to get raw from the cheap TP! It's also great to have if you have an accident as well! Good luck and safe travels ~Kristy
10-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #84
Susan2

My Support Groups:
All good advice, Kristy. Just to add for those with stomas, I always carry a roll of Micropore (or other similar paper surgical tape) in my handbag. If you feel that the edges of your ostomy bag are lifting, a quick tape around will hold it until you can change the whole thing. It is gentle on the skin and is easily removed.
11-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #85
LodgeLady

What can I use to carry the Humira pens on trips longer than 2 hours? Also when traveling on a plane? I got a travel kit from the Humira company but it is only good for 2 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Entocort , Prednisone, Pentasa, ,Protonix, Xifaxan

Lots of learning.

Lots of praying.....

11-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #86
ThanksP

What can I use to carry the Humira pens on trips longer than 2 hours? Also when traveling on a plane? I got a travel kit from the Humira company but it is only good for 2 hours.

I bought a small, sealable cooler/lunch bag and filled it with commercial grade ice packs to keep my Cimzia cool. Had no problem and it was a 6 hour flight. I did make sure to wrap the syringes so they did not freeze if touching the ice packs.
11-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #87
LodgeLady

Thanks!

11-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #88
nimmisharma

Hello Friend's

Thank you for giving me suggesstion to where to go next time i'll remember your words always...................
11-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #89
The Real MC

My Support Groups:
I'm an experienced international traveler with CD and the only thing I can add is when traveling abroad, don't leave a restaurant right away. I have to relax for at least a half hour after finishing a meal in case I need the toilet. I'm also VERY selective with airport restaurants between flights - too many fried foods chains. The food in coach class has gotten so bad that I no longer eat it - I pack non perishable stuff like nuts, granola bars, crackers.
11-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #90
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have a pretty basic question. My 13 year old just started Remicade about a month ago. What have you done to avoid all the germs on airplanes? I'm half tempted to have him wear a mask the whole time, but I know he'd roll his eyes at that one. I'm a bit of a germaphobe myself. Any suggestions?
- Multivitamins, Probiotics, Vit D
- Small bowel resection, Jan 2013

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Traveling with Crohn's