Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Stoma Support: Good advice for you!

06-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #31
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
I found this today. It's our very own JennaRae! I'm ordering one of these.

http://youtu.be/HQ2MuY_YvA8

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
09-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #32
Ang71

My Support Groups:

Can anyone help me please.. My stomal nurse has tried many different bags, pastes, glues, ect..none will work I keep leaking 😥 my stoma was done in a emergency op and the position of the mouth of the stoma is in the crease of my skin so basically nothing works., I was hoping if someone could help on something that may work! As u can see my skin is very inflamed and sore and can not heal because of all the bags & base plates coming off and on.. I'm still in hospital on my 3rd week docs have discharged me but it's up to the stomal nurse to fully discharge and she won't until she can get something to finally work.. So please can anyone suggest something or products ect
Thank you
09-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #33
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
i'm so sorry you are having so much trouble!!!

I'm not sure there is a whole lot that we can offer you in the way of help. From everything you have said in other posts, it seems to me that the problem is that your stoma does not stick out far enough from your abdomen to prevent the output from sitting on your skin. You need a bag with a convex wafer that will help the stoma stick out more and also some sort of wafer to fill in the dips on your abdomen, especially on the skin nearest the incision line. It also looks like you might have a yeast infection. Definitely ask your stoma nurse about this. You may end up needing a second surgery to bring the stoma out further from your abdomen.
11-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #34
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
-Putting baby oil or water in my bag to have a cleaner pouch empty.

-Eating peanut butter to slow down output.

-Using cologne to mask a tiny pouch odor.

I'm sure I have more but I'll start with these.

PS Thanks Nyx. I deleted the other thread.
11-24-2013, 01:16 AM   #35
Nyx

My Support Groups:
-Putting baby oil or water in my bag to have a cleaner pouch empty.

-Eating peanut butter to slow down output.

-Using cologne to mask a tiny pouch odor.

I'm sure I have more but I'll start with these.

PS Thanks Nyx. I deleted the other thread.
Thanks! I know I'm a moderator, but I have no idea how to move posts and all that jazz...lol

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

07-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #36
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi you all.. Stomahesive paste on flange worked great for me very few leaks also helped with soreness around stoma. I cleaned with warm water dried added stoma powder brushed of excess than applied pouch(one piece). If you put paste on flange b4 u start to take off old one it will sting less as any alcohol in it will dissipate. Also if you peg your disposable bag to your pants,knickers,pj bottoms etc you can drop dirty wipes,pouches etc into it. If stoma outputs at same time just hold bag out a little and lean forward n it just goes in bag.

Tie up n dispose of it when ur done. Quick. clean n easy. A little peppermint oil can also help with smells, put a drop in pouch b4 applying. Hope these tips are useful. Best wishes
07-23-2015, 04:53 PM   #37
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ang71. You look to have a very concaved stoma there. It will be difficult to fit with most pouches, but i have heard of a new mouldable pouch which may help and fit better. I think they are made by either coloplast or convatec. If you google ostomy pouches you may find out who makes them, then ask stoma nurse about getting some for you to try!! . Of course this is said assuming you havent already heard of mouldable pouches. Best wishes
07-23-2015, 06:14 PM   #38
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi again another thought or 2 . To stop my pouch from rubbing the top of my leg i used to tuck the foldable closure bit into the top of my knickers it also helps to support the weight n stop the draging feeling of it hanging loose. Also pouch covers are available on prescription (if you didnt know) just ask your stoma nurse. Not sure how many and how often you can get them. I got 3 white lacy ones but i think you can get 4/6 plain ones. Only had my ileostomy for 12mths so didnt need to see if i could get.
more. No harm in asking though eh!! You can also ring coversure on 0800 220 300 and ask them about covers on prescription. Best wishes to all..

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Stoma Support: Good advice for you!