Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Low Fiber/Residue Diet Support Group

07-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #61
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
That's great Amy!!!
07-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #62
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
Still that peel could be hard to digest. I might make it today and purée ill report on the outcome. Hopefully I won't be hunched over in pain.
I put carrots in mine also and it gives it good flavor, They get super soft too. I add chicken broth too and a whole onion and remove it when cooked.YUM!
07-15-2013, 02:04 AM   #63
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Had split pea with onions, carrots and spices puréed tonight and I live to tell the story
07-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #64
Bamafan94

My Support Groups:
Hi! I've had Crohn's Disease for 14 years. I recently got it back into remission after a minor flare-up, but now I've discovered that I've developed a complication.
My GI recently put me on a low residue diet because of a narrowing in my small intestine caused by scar tissue.
The diet is not to keep food from irritating the Crohn's, because it's in remission. It's only to try and keep food from getting stuck in the narrowing.
All the information I can find about low residue diets online is contradictory. My GI said absolutely no green vegetables and nothing with a skin. No nuts, anything high in fiber, corn or popcorn, and no meats that have fat or are grissled, including steak. Also nothing involving any kind of seeds.
I'm fine with all this, but there are so many foods I'm not sure about. I know that everyone's different, but I really don't want to eat anything potentially dangerous.
Does anyone have advice on pulled pork, bacon, pepperoni, tortilla shells, spicy food, and Mexican rice?
There are probably more, I just can't think of them right now. I appreciate any advice that anyone has.
I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place. lol!

Current Medications:
Imuran
Lialda
Remicade (Every 8 weeks)
Multivitamin
Prayer
07-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #65
Amy2

My Support Groups:
My son is in a similar position as you and he eats most things in smoothie form. Steamed super greens or spinache, fruit smoothies with blended nuts, pureed soups, like lentil, broccoli, tomato, mushroom...everything is blended. He eats no corn, rice or spicy food.
07-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #66
Rosie L

My Support Groups:
Hi, my dietician provided me with a diet sheet which was really useful, everyone is different as to what they can tolerate, I had the same problem as you and after a year on a low residue diet I have had surgery now and am slowly re introducing other foods.

Some of the things on my diet sheet were: well cooked root veg, e.g. Carrots, parsnip swede. I lived on mashed potato adding different things to it to change the flavour such as cheese, swede, parsnips, etc.
Fruit- juices, smoothies, cooked or stewed fruit with no skin. I found I could eat tin peaches or pears.
Breakfast cereals & grains - nothing with wheat, they suggest things like Rice Krispies, cornflakes, ready Brek etc any products made from white flour, white bread/ pasta.
Plain cakes, or muffins, rice pudding,
Meat etc- soft tender mince or poultry, they say that tough meat such as sausages, burgers bacon etc may be eaten in a small amount but not if you have regular bloating.
Fish- any without bones, seafood such as prawns should be peeled
Dairy- all types of milk, cream, soya, butter, margarine, most cheeses, yogurts (not containing dried fruit, nuts or cereals), custards, mousse, yoghurt drinks
Misc- clear, cream or strained soups, sugar, honey, syrup, seedless jam, chocolate, ice cream, jelly etc.

Hope this is of some help, occasionally I would eat bacon and pepperoni and get away with a small amount but it would make me bloated. Spicy food can upset some people.

Hope things settle down soon for you.
07-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #67
Sarah50

My Support Groups:
Hi! I've had Crohn's Disease for 14 years. I recently got it back into remission after a minor flare-up, but now I've discovered that I've developed a complication.
My GI recently put me on a low residue diet because of a narrowing in my small intestine caused by scar tissue.
The diet is not to keep food from irritating the Crohn's, because it's in remission. It's only to try and keep food from getting stuck in the narrowing.
All the information I can find about low residue diets online is contradictory. My GI said absolutely no green vegetables and nothing with a skin. No nuts, anything high in fiber, corn or popcorn, and no meats that have fat or are grissled, including steak. Also nothing involving any kind of seeds.
I'm fine with all this, but there are so many foods I'm not sure about. I know that everyone's different, but I really don't want to eat anything potentially dangerous.
Does anyone have advice on pulled pork, bacon, pepperoni, tortilla shells, spicy food, and Mexican rice?
There are probably more, I just can't think of them right now. I appreciate any advice that anyone has.
I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place. lol!

Current Medications:
Imuran
Lialda
Remicade (Every 8 weeks)
Multivitamin
Prayer

I was on a low residue diet and Asacol and within 6 weeks, all my symptoms went away. My GI recommended the low res diet and I was following (so I thought) but was still having pain. GI sent me to a dietician and she helped me figure out the food I was eating that was still causing problems - yogurt with fruit in it, eating preserves instead of jelly, and any fruit or veggie with skin.

As far as the food you listed, I would cut out pepperoni (you're not supposed to eat any processed-type lunch meat) and definitely spicy food! Not sure about Mexican rice unless it's spicy, then no. Not sure about bacon.

Definitely follow the 'ok' veggies and fruit - which is limited. I just ate bananas and that was fine. Definitely no seeds or nuts! If you have any other questions about certain food, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

Currently on Asacol
Low Residue Diet - this totally works for me (I have a stricture)
Multi Vitamin, Calcium/Vitamin D, Pro-Biotics

I seem to be in remission: I believe from the Asacol / Low Residue Diet / Probiotics and NO STRESS!
07-29-2013, 02:52 AM   #68
Bamafan94

My Support Groups:
Wow! Thanks for all the responses!

Amy2,
It hasn't even entered my mind to try blending foods! Now, that seems like an obvious choice! lol!
I had wondered how long I could survive on Ensure. Not a great way to go, but I thought maybe just until this settles down.
Thanks for the advice on blending. I'll definitely try that!

Rosie L,
Of the foods you mentioned, so far I've figured out that burgers, bacon, white bread, fish, dairy, jelly, and chocolate are okay.
I drink fruit juices as long as there's no pulp or seeds. And I'm on a multivitamin, so hopefully I'm getting enough nutrition.
Somtimes I'm hungry, but it just seems like too much trouble to figure out if a certain food will bother me. I stay bloated a lot, and I wonder if it's because I'm not eating often enough.
Was your surgery a bowel resection? If so, what was that like? Long hospital stay, and recovery time? I'm trying to get several opinions because my GI says I'll eventually end up having the surgery if nothing changes. He wants me to put it off for as long as possible.
Thanks for all the advice!

Sarah50,
I've branched out a little in the past week. I ate pizza, but picked the pepperoni off, and drank Gaviscon afterward, and that worked out well.
I even ate a chicken taco salad. It was only chicken and cheese in a tortilla shell, (not spicy) and again, drank Gaviscon, and it didn't bother me other than some rumbling and rolling sounds, but for me, that's pretty normal! lol!
I don't eat anything that my GI said not to, and that includes seeds, green vegetables, nuts, and anything with a skin on it.
I thought pepperoni was a pork product, but when I started asking family members, I found out it's a mystery meat! Like Spam and such. I didn't realize that, but I'll stay away from it. After all, it's a small price to pay if I can avoid surgery.

Thanks again to all of you for the advice! It's been very helpful!
I wish you all good health!
07-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #69
Rosie L

My Support Groups:
I can certainly relate to the trouble of finding new foods to eat, some days it's just easier to stick to what you know is ok.
Yes my surgery was a bowel resection - ileocaecal resection (this was my second my first a hemi-colectomy was over 13 years ago), I was on the enhanced recovery programme, where they get you out of bed asap, and you drink a carbohydrate pre-load before surgery to enhance your recovery. I was in hospital for 7 days, the stay can be anything from 4 days onwards, I was in a little longer as my bowel was slow to kick start again due to my surgery taking over 5 hours to do so it made my insides very sluggish and they needed help to start up again. It's tough at the beginning but I forced myself to follow all the advice and it definitely makes a difference. The information I picked up from this forum helped prepare me for what I was going through and I picked up some valuable information from it.
The first 2 weeks are the hardest, but after that it gets easier. You can go back to work anything from 4 weeks. I went back this week after 8 weeks off (6 as sick leave and then I just had a 2 week holiday as well). I was unlucky to get an infection in my wound and had to go to hospital daily up to last Friday to have my dressings done etc. but even though this happened it was still all worth it for me as I was having regular blockages as nothing could get through the stricture, i have been on a low residue diet for over a year and was permanately on laxatives to makes sure everything went through and I still had blockages.
I am now at the point of slowly re-introducing normal food back into my diet. The hardest part now is fatigue but as long as you allow yourself time to rest, it's manageable. I will be starting B12 injections shortly. I do not know what other medication I will need until they do a follow up colonoscopy at 6 months after surgery.
Hope this helps, if you want to know anymore detail, do not hesitate to ask me
08-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #70
Bamafan94

My Support Groups:
Rosie L,
Thank you so much for the info!
Sorry to hear that you've had to go through so much.
This truly is a nasty, ugly disease. I hope and pray that someday a cure will be found and also preventative messures so that no one has to suffer from this ever again!
I seem to be finding my way through this diet. It's not quite so confusing now that I've had so many in this forum to help me out!
My problem isn't as serious as yours was, not yet anyway. I'm still having diarrhea because of 4 tiny fistulas that are connecting my small intestine to my colon. Hopefully, the Remicade will eventually heal those, and the diarrhea will stop. I occasionally have normal bowel movements too, so I know it's not a blockage. My GI wasn't overly concerned. He just said I should start thinking about surgery because it would most likely come to that at some point.
I was the one who freaked out! lol!
I've been afraid of this very thing for 14 years. Ever since I was diagnosed and the doctors explained to me all the things that can happen.
There are so many possible complications it boggles the mind!
Thank you again for the info, and advice! I appreciate it very much!
I wish good health your way!
08-18-2013, 03:48 AM   #71
Bamafan94

My Support Groups:
Hi!
Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm doing much better. The pain and bloating caused by the narrowing in my intestines has almost completely stopped.
I'm still able to eat plenty of good foods, I had to cut out several of course, but it's a small price to pay if it let's me avoid surgery.
I wanted to thank you all again for the great advice!
Hope you're all doing well!
12-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #72
Emmy

My Support Groups:
I'd like to join this please :3
I'm on a low fibre/low res diet right now... stomach still reacts to any food I eat though, some worse than others, things with too much seasoning or flavour don't seem to agree with me at the moment, but I went through a phase of craving salt.... now it's salt and chocolate... to balance the flavour I spose...
12-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #73
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Welcome, Emmy! Salt and chocolate - those things do go together! Lindt makes a really good Sea Salt Dark Chocolate bar that is pretty good for satisfying the need for the taste of both at once. It's also gluten- and dairy-free and pretty easy on the belly. My permanent diet is one that is pretty low residue and low fiber, so I supplement with psyllium husks on the advice of a friend, Cat-a-Tonic (moderator here).

current diagnosis is undiagnosed (possible Celiac disease)

Colonoscopy done August 2013, no evidence of Crohn's seen, biopsies done and one polyp removed.
Polyp is precancerous adenoma

(Diagnosed with a diffuse astrocytoma (brain tumor) 5/31/13.
Craniotomy with tumor resection performed July 2013. 99% of WHO grade II diffuse astrocytoma removed, MRI scheduled every 6 months to monitor for regrowth.)
12-14-2013, 06:11 AM   #74
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I'd like to join this please :3
I'm on a low fibre/low res diet right now... stomach still reacts to any food I eat though, some worse than others, things with too much seasoning or flavour don't seem to agree with me at the moment, but I went through a phase of craving salt.... now it's salt and chocolate... to balance the flavour I spose...
Could it be you're not getting enough salt? Have you had any resections? I recently got an ileostomy, which can make you more likely to become deficient in salt, as can any removal of the large intestine. The nurses told me that a salt deficiency can lead to cravings - advice that seems to be repeated in all the stoma literature I've been given. They've told me not to ignore a craving. Even if you've not had any intestine removed, you might want to check roughly how much your diet was providing. It's confusing though because most of the information you find seems to assume people go the other way and get far too much salt and that that's the biggest risk to health.

If a chocolate craving indicates a deficiency, I must get chocolate deficiencies pretty often.
12-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #75
Emmy

My Support Groups:
Could it be you're not getting enough salt? Have you had any resections? I recently got an ileostomy, which can make you more likely to become deficient in salt, as can any removal of the large intestine. The nurses told me that a salt deficiency can lead to cravings - advice that seems to be repeated in all the stoma literature I've been given. They've told me not to ignore a craving. Even if you've not had any intestine removed, you might want to check roughly how much your diet was providing. It's confusing though because most of the information you find seems to assume people go the other way and get far too much salt and that that's the biggest risk to health.

If a chocolate craving indicates a deficiency, I must get chocolate deficiencies pretty often.
Hmmmm... well no resections or ops yet thank god, but it may come to that soon if things don't get better with what I'm on... My crohn's is mostly active in my ileum, terminal ileum I think. I had an albumin/protein deficiency when I was in hospital though... made my legs and arms and face all puffy, face was already kinda puffy though from pred, but being in hospital my arms just inflated popeye style o_o; and you could press fingers into my ankles/legs and leave indentations... kinda scary... better now, but if I leave them at the wrong angle they can get a little puffy still...
Salt wise I thought I'd be getting enough D: But I spose I may not be.... I started sucking on pretzels and having salt with boiled eggs, and some of the snacks I eat are pretty high in salt... maybe I should just get a salt lick.... I did at one point just suck on some salt... while I was on the fresubin... cos they're all sweet, I got really desperate for other flavours of any kind XD
I'm keeping track of the protein I eat/intake everyday though, keeping track of salt too won't be much harder, will just have to list down the everyday stuff and check packets. I try to make it into a regime/routine, in a cute little notebook XD
12-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #76
Jag23

My Support Groups:
My GI has suggested i go on a low residue diet. I've only had symptoms of crohns since September 2013 but weight loss for around 2 years so my GI thinks I've had crohns for around 2 years.

I've been trying to get recipes for new foods but all the website I see seem to have a lot of fruit or veg which aren't good for me.

I eat a lot of Turkey, potatoes, pasta, rice and sausage and stew.
I seem okay with all of the above.

I tried a prawn cocktail before Christmas and that was a mistake. Woke up at 3am with bad cramps even though I'm on 35mg of Pred.

All the salad in it was de seeded and skinned, thinking it could have been the lettuce in it :/
I will try prawns on their own at some point.

Sometimes though I think what's the point of trying new food when you are in pain and I'm even sometimes scared of trying things.

PS. I would like to join this group but I don't know how.

Last edited by Jag23; 12-25-2013 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Adding
12-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #77
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
PS. I would like to join this group but I don't know how.
You've automatically joined it by posting in the thread.

Were the recipes you were looking at supposed to be low-fibre/low-residue? Not many kinds of fruit and veg are good when on this diet. Bananas, avocados, and tinned fruit are the easiest to tolerate. Some might be ok with very well-cooked veg.

Lettuce is not good at all on a low-fibre diet - no raw salads are - so that may have been why the prawn cocktail didn't go down well. Although sometimes we get symptoms and it's just a coincidence - it's hard to know for sure if it's due to something we ate unless we eat the food multiple times and get a consistent reaction each time. But lettuce is definitely not low-fibre, so it is something to avoid.
12-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #78
Jag23

My Support Groups:
I was just looking for something other than potatoes to try and eat, I love them but others in my family aren't always massive fans.

How is everyone with gravy?
12-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #79
bobisacrohny

My Support Groups:
I would try using a broth instead of gravy as fat is bad.
12-26-2013, 12:25 AM   #80
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
The fat wouldn't be bad in terms of fiber though. Gravy should be fine in terms of being low-fiber.

The only things that bother me that are low fiber are chips because I don't chew properly and I feel scraping.
12-26-2013, 05:39 AM   #81
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I do just fine with gravy.
12-26-2013, 05:44 AM   #82
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I was just looking for something other than potatoes to try and eat, I love them but others in my family aren't always massive fans.
Have you tried sweet potatoes? Also pastry is usually low-fibre - you might try pies, quiches, etc. If you make your own you can fill them with whatever meats and veg you can tolerate.
12-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #83
Jag23

My Support Groups:
Not sure about pastry.
I had a piece of Stand Pie (pork pie) and I didn't feel well later on.
I heard pastry was bad.

Really new to this

I haven't tried sweet potatoes, thanks. Will give them a try
12-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #84
mccindy

My Support Groups:
I have to avoid gluten, so no pasta or bread for me. I do ok with oats, rice, potatoes (skinless) sweet potatoes, chicken and seafood/fish. Lettuce can be tough but I do well with raw spinach. Most raw veggies are not my friend, or fruits, so I avoid a lot of then and I can have some of then canned.

Gravy is okay if the fat is skimmed and made with gluten-free broth, for me, and corn starch as the thickener.
12-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #85
Emmy

My Support Groups:
So it seems a super well cooked Lancashire hot pot(potato, carrot, lamb/pork in gravy sorta thing) does NOT give me happy feels. Pains since I ate it. I didn't even finish it.... I had a shortcake biscuit afterwards, which I think tipped me over the good edge of full.... too much butter/fat maybe? Either way. Paaaaaaain. But it tasted so good. Maybe the strong flavours don't do me good either....
12-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #86
mccindy

My Support Groups:
With a mixture like that, it's pretty difficult to tell what might have been the troubling factor. I've found I don't mix things up too much anymore, simply because I won't know what's causing me pain or trouble. Spices can be trouble, thickeners can be, meats can be, gluten can be, dairy can be. You might want to do simple for a while and track things keeping a food diary just to find out what exactly might be triggering your problems.
12-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #87
Jag23

My Support Groups:
So it seems a super well cooked Lancashire hot pot(potato, carrot, lamb/pork in gravy sorta thing) does NOT give me happy feels. Pains since I ate it. I didn't even finish it....
I've found that certain gravys aren't good for me.
I'm okay with oxo cubes and bistro gravy but i tried knorrs stock pot gravy (chicken, beef, lamb) and they came up on my food diary as bad.
12-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #88
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
So it seems a super well cooked Lancashire hot pot(potato, carrot, lamb/pork in gravy sorta thing) does NOT give me happy feels. Pains since I ate it. I didn't even finish it.... I had a shortcake biscuit afterwards, which I think tipped me over the good edge of full.... too much butter/fat maybe? Either way. Paaaaaaain. But it tasted so good. Maybe the strong flavours don't do me good either....
It may have not been anything specific in the meal - it may be that whatever you'd eaten would have triggered symptoms at this time. Shortcake should be absolutely fine for a low-fibre diet. If it were me (though of course we all react to different foods) the meat would have been most likely to give me problems. Not because of fibre, I just find red meat tough to digest for some reason, so I haven't eaten it for ages. Well cooked potato, carrot and gravy I'd be fine with. So yeah - if it was something specific in the meal, I'd suspect the meat. But it might just have been your digestive system wasn't happy for other reasons, or it might perhaps be just too much food? Depending on your portion size and what you're used to eating, but since you were full, it's possible your stomach was just reacting to the amount of food rather than the specific ingredients.
01-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #89
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Today's experiment: baked beans that I strained. I think even straining there probably is a bit of fiber so I hope I'm not in for a disaster. Anyone else try beans and ok? I'm not worried about gas only about obstructions.
01-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #90
mccindy

My Support Groups:
Beans are not on my good food list - they cause me a lot of pain. It's really a bummer because I love to make chili in the winter, and now I can't even eat it. I hope the experiment worked for you NGNG!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Low Fiber/Residue Diet Support Group