Share Facebook

01-28-2014, 02:24 AM   #1
Rasdaan

Acne

Hello! Before I was diagnosed with crohn's, I finally got rid of all my pesky acne. However, when I was diagnosed, I was put on prednisone for about 1-3 months, and gave me some bad acne now. I am not on prednisone anymore since I took it all according to the GI, and so I am now looking for ways to get rid of my horrid acne.

My acne is somewhat bad, and this time I can't use antibiotics or accutane. Basically my question is how do you guys deal with your acne if you get any? What are the ways you found best when dealing with this?
01-28-2014, 04:22 AM   #2
SarahD

I use tea tree oil on mine, it's not an instant fix but it does tend to help over the course of a few days. I've also used topical antibiotic cream (Fucidin) before which really helped clear up my spots.

Current meds:
Azathioprine, Allopurinol, Calcichew D3-Forte, Fortijuice, Alendronic acid, Ranitidine

Previous meds:
Augmentin, Doxycycline, Lansoprazole, Asacol, Pentasa, Prednisolone, Entocort, Cipro, Flagyl, Elemental Extra 028
01-28-2014, 06:13 AM   #3
Goddess

My Support Groups:
Sorry, I can't tell you what will work.

But neither Fucidin nor tea tree oil worked for me.

Incidentally, when I was prescribed the Fucidin I was told not to use it every day, or it would stop working.

Seems I read something on this forum about how you should NOT use tea tree oil, but now I can't find it! I had anyway gone off it, because the bottle was gone and I hadn't seen any benefit.

For the redness, try Neutrogena Acne Stress Control. It has salicylic acid and i found that it does help a bit without causing even more irritation.

Anyway, I join you in hoping that someone will have another good idea. I've been off Prednisone for a month now, but am taking Pentasa. Every time I think that maybe my skin is getting better, I get a new breakout.

Best wishes!
01-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Are you male or female? I know some women who've had great results from getting on the right hormone medication, either just going on the pill or taking a form of the pill that includes anti-androgens.
01-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
Rasdaan

Are you male or female? I know some women who've had great results from getting on the right hormone medication, either just going on the pill or taking a form of the pill that includes anti-androgens.
I am a male
01-29-2014, 02:47 AM   #6
SarahD

I get jawline acne which I've heard tends to be related to hormones rather than the acne people tend to get through their teenage years. I'm not sure how the treatment differs but I know for definite that the products on the market to treat teenage acne don't work for me in the slightest. So your age may make a difference whether the treatments that work for some will work for you.

There's one thing that makes me break out more than anything else, and that's touching my face. If I lean my face on my hands I'm guaranteed to get spots, even if I wash my hands regularly with hot soapy water. If I can stop leaning on my hands 9 times out of 10 it breaks my jawline acne cycle. I use AltaCleanse moisturiser too which seems to help a bit, although it's not the miracle it's advertised to be. But from all the different lotions and potions I've tried the AltaCleanse cream has helped the most.

I've heard pantothenic acid (vitamin B6) is supposed to be helpful too, maybe that's something you could look into?
01-29-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
SarahBear

My Support Groups:
It's unlikely to entirely solve the issue, but you could try treating with lemon to see if it makes a difference for you. I just slice a lemon in half, put two drops of honey on it, and rub it on my face, then rinse off a few minutes later.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3743905.html

Sarah.
Diagnosed with Crohn's disease 12/6/08.
Have taken: Prednisone, 6mp, methotrexate, Pentasa.
Currently waiting for a new medication!

Check out the Crohn's forum chat!

02-05-2014, 01:12 AM   #8
snydercharles425

Thanks for all of the support everybody.
02-05-2014, 02:36 AM   #9
theOcean

My Support Groups:
What kind of acne have you been experiencing? Prednisone always causes bad cystic acne for me and the only thing that ever helped me was tetracycline or minocycline (basically an upgrade of tetracycline). I get it as a prescription from my dermatologist and I haven't had skin problems since.

It is an antibiotic, though...
Unrelated Medication: 36mg Concerta, 75mg Pregabalin
Currently: In remission!