Share Facebook

06-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
serrickson

My Support Groups:
Paleo Diet Success?

Hello,

It's been awhile since I last posted but I wanted to share some *success* with Paleo. Our son John, 9 years old, has had Crohn's since 6. He's had his ups and downs, with some success last year while gluten free in combination with MTX, low dose steroids, and Azathioprin.

He got scoped again in January '13 after he ditched the 'roids and his calprotecin went up. He was at 300 in July '12, up to 1200 by Xmas '12. He had dropped the GF thing in July after 6 months of being on it, and dropping his calprotectin from 3000 (yes you read that right) in November '11. Although his doctor, German--b/c we are Americans in Germany--thought we were crazy to change his diet, we felt that GF had a connection. That's regardless of all the tests that ran counter and said John had no sensitivities.

So after John's January '13 scopes we decided to put him back on GF come February. He weighed about 74lbs. He was drinking shakes for nutrition to ease his belly, you know, a common thing for Crohnies. His doctor wanted him on Remicade or a "pulse" of very high dose 'roids (a three day mega dose). We waited and didn't do either.

Then John got sick---VERY sick.

He started getting unexplained fevers once a day as high as 103. All he could eat was ice cream at one point. He had colds all the time. Then he had horrific smelling diarrhea for 6 weeks. He missed a ton of school. I suspected lactose, the doctor felt it might have been gallstones or maybe something else. After THREE MONTHS of screwing around, with the last 6 weeks being a nightmare and almost causing us to admit him, I noticed something at his little brother's 5th B-day party: John wanted BURGERS (sans buns of course). This from a kid who had severe diarrhea for two months and wanted nothing but Chex with no milk and ice cream every once in awhile.

SO, I said the heck with it and told John he could eat whatever he wanted, and John wanted plain burgers. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner--with a Sprite in the AM--that's all John ate for a week. No Sprite any more btw :*) To say it was a total 360 degree turnaround is an understatement. As a test, we did lactose-free products and guess what? Explosive diarrhea. Was it Casein? Whey? Who knows?!

Thus since about a month now, all John has had to eat is strict Paleo. He indeed cheats on one thing: Ketchup, which has real sugar, but it's organic and has few ingredients, maybe two TBs at most/day. Other than that, all John eats is meat, fruits, veggies, and nuts. He weighed 69lbs a month ago, now he's at 77lbs. I haven't seen the kid look this pigmented in three years and his body aches, mouth sores, diarrhea, gas, smelly stools/gas, are GONE. His appetite is CRAZY as he eats NON-STOP!! He's always hungry now. His belly pain? His classic ileum pain? All gone.

Of course John is still on his nightly immune-suppressant and MTX on the weekends. Other than these drugs, he's on nothing else. NO steroids. The last time he ate like this he was on high dose 'roids for a week or two.

I don't know. I was tired of my doctor telling me I was crazy altering his diet, so we've been doing Paleo on our own, and by golly it's doing something. I don't know if his calprotectin will drop, but the kid has gained 2lbs a week in 4 weeks. He's finally HAPPY and he hasn't been like this since he was diagnosed three years ago.

Of course, after doing this for a month, my bit of advice for those interested in a go at it is to be STRICT. Follow the rules of the diet. Give it time. I read posts from people who try Paleo and cheat-cheat-cheat!! They are also impatient. Who knows, maybe John's success will only last a month? But the gains he's had have been invaluable, I will say this.

And even if his calprotectin, C-reactive, ESR, all stay high--I'll probably keep him on this diet by virtue of the way it makes him feel, which is AWESOME as described by him...

Perianal fistula: August '10
Upper/Lower GI: August '10
Prednisone: August '10 to November '12
AZA: August '10 to present
MTX: November '11 to present
Folic Acid: November '11 to present
Upper/Lower GI/MRI: January '13

100% PALEO: JUNE '13 to PRESENT

IN CLINICAL REMISSION SINCE JULY '13

Calprotectin high: 3000 (November '11)
Calprotectin low: UNDER TWENTY!! (February '14)
06-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
Beach
Forum Monitor

Wonderful to read! Thanks for sharing your son's diet success. Hopfully he will continue to see improvements going forward.

What you and your son have done reminds me I should get around to updating my dietary thread on what I've done. Maybe in a few weeks I'll get around to it.

I've been following the paleo diet more or less for years, have felt better for it, but didn't find it a complete solution for me. At the beginning of the year though I stumbled upon being well to the gut nearly ever day. So I locked in my diet, began eating the same foods over and over, and after continued success began writing a food journal. I wanted to work on improving my situation even further.

I have to be careful in mentioning this as I believe each case is different, we are all individualistic in our health needs, but what I've found it appears is that I can make myself well two ways: with eating a probiotic rich diet with some aged milk based items, and with avoiding all cow products. I feel much much better on the cow/ beef/ dairy avoidance part of the diet - but as is often said, time will tell. As a result of the locked in diet, I'm also avoiding a few other foods so eventually need to see how that works out with the finicky gut.

Best with the continued success! Hope it progresses further.
11-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
serrickson

My Support Groups:
**UPDATE**

SO we went to the doctor yesterday, November 11, 2013.

It was somewhat unusual, not just because we're Americans seeing a German doctor in Germany, but because for the first time in 3 1/2 years we hadn't gotten a summary of the previous visit. The previous visit was August 2, 2013.

John, who is now 10 years old and in the 4th grade, has been a moderate to severe case of Crohn's since age 6. Yesterday, he was shown to have increased height since the last visit 3 months ago, and had maintained his weight (a healthy 87lbs).

BTW, John has been a VERY strict Paleo since August (100%), and about 95% Paleo from the end of May to August 2013...

Anyway, John's Calprotectin scores have been hovering around 2500 to 3000 while on an unrestricted diet. With gluten taken out, it tends to be halved, of course, supplemented by MTX and Azathioprine (and sometimes steroids).

His May 2013 Calprotectin level was 1250--unchanged since November 2012.

As for August 2013, only THREE months while on Dad's initiated, doctor poo-poo'd, Paleo...

Yes, you read it right: FORTY-EIGHT

All other indicators of inflammation??

NORMAL

Iron levels?

INCREASED, NEAR NORMAL

This must have been why we didn't get our summary in the mail for the August visit. I didn't call or email them, a hospital 45mins away, because I didn't want to jinx it! So we've waited 3 months for this Calprotectin score.

Now we have another sample in as of yesterday. I doubt I'll wait 3 months like I did the last time. Nevertheless, John's appetite, color, demeanor, everything--is still unchanged. He acts and feels the same as he did in August, so I'd actually be shocked if his Calprotectin increases.

I am praying that John is in remission and that by sticking to this diet we can keep him going and get him off this drugs!!!!!

Another reason I know he's doing great? He sticks to the diet. He knows it's making him feel better!
11-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
Clash
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
So glad to hear his FC number is 48, that is great news, long may it continue!!

They have him on both AZA and MTX? Wow I've never heard of that combo. Is he still on that combo? How often does he have to do steroids as well?
dx March 2012 CD

CURRENT MEDS: MTX injections, Stelara

Dx May 2014: JSpA
8/2014 ileocecectomy
9/2017 G tube

PAST MEDS: remicade, oral mtx, humira
11-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
serrickson

My Support Groups:
He hasn't been on steriods for exactly one year. He's been on MTX for exactly two years and Azathioprine since day 1, a little more than 3 years ago.

It's currently 10mg MTX once a week and 100mg Azathioprine a day.

Our doctor wanted him on Remicade last May, but I was very worried about the AZA. I couldn't get a straight answer about how long AZA takes to clear the system, and when we'd cut it out before the Remicade; stuff like that.

We prepped for the Remicade (scans, bloodwork, TB test, etc.) but I lobbied for a steriod "pulse" which would have taken 3 days, and THEN the Remicade maybe a month later. This WAS the plan as of May '13. I figured the pulse might "take" and maybe buy us some time.

But between the "pulse" and the Remicade, I was looking at a week with John in a German hospital, or more, over his summer break no less, and a pile of $$$. Combined with the slight cancer risk, sequester (yes, my wife is a civilian worker) I was very worried.

I had my theories about casein, among other things, so I said the heck with the doctor and went for Paleo. SO no pulse and no Remicade.

Unlike SCD, a true Paleo, which is remarkably strict, would have eliminated so much--virtually starting from scratch. This caught my interest.

Also, when we experimented in the past, John's Calprotectin level had noticeably dropped when gluten-free. Then we had a birthday party (May '13) and I made a heck of a bunch of plain hamburgers, which provided me with tons of leftovers. That week, all John ate was burger--his appetite was crazy. I told him to eat whatever he wanted that week, and he basically chose leftover burgers, fruits, and veggies--nothing else.

Then I had bought him a lactose-free candy bar, he ate the whole thing, and was totally sick for two days...maybe it was the casein, who knows?

Also, I have several "Crohn's Cookbooks" and I am at times surprised at some of the things suggested. Gluten is irritating, I'm convinced, and since this intolerance is all over my wife's side of the family, I've always figured John had to inherit some of this--regardless of the testing. As far as the milk, that's also on my wife's side. I had an issue as a baby, but haven't had problems as an adult. From what I've read, milk isn't very easy on the body either. So why not take these things out, completely? Worth a shot, especially since a Chronie's belly is usually so very stressed anyway. Why add to it?

Nevertheless, what do the doctors suggest when my son isn't eating? Shakes, smoothies, etc. It's either BRAT or junk, really. More milk! I've noticed somewhat of an endless cycle with the milk. Again, why add to an already stressed gut. The Paleo folks talk about homemade bone-broths and the like, the GI doc talks about crackers and Ensure...

I doubt it'll work for everybody, I don't even know how long it'll last for John, but I'm convinced it's doing something. For now, we go with it. It's a VERY hard diet, Paleo is full of crazy rules, and you just can't eat meat all day, and fruits all day either. One can really go psycho over engineering a true Paleo diet. Factor in a kid who was 9 when he started Paleo, and you can begin to imagine how hard this all can be. I also stay home full time, and have been for 7 years. So I've put the time into this for John. Others aren't as fortunate to have someone else watching over them so closely.

In all, although he's restricted, if you were to ask him--John would tell you Paleo is easy and he's happy--because he can eat all day long! THAT's how hungry he's been for 6 months, and that's something I see as a clear indicator as things improving. Here's what he ate TODAY, remember he JUST turned 10, so this is a typical food "groove" for him:

Breakfast:

-20 egg/banana pancakes (equal to 1.5 bananas and about 3 eggs)
-1/8 slice of Paleo chocolate cake (actually quite the health food--not your everyday cake)
-Water

Snack #1:

-1/2 cup raisins
-1/2 cup cashews (he eats A LOT of nuts--sorry--peanuts not allowed!)
-1/2 cup carrots

Lunch:

-2 fortified 100% juice boxes
-1/8 slice Paleo cake (this is his new vice--basically eggs and coconut flour)
-7 one inch sized meatballs fortified with plain spinach and tomato paste
-2 applesauce cups, 100% natural
-4 coconut macaroons (basically unsweetened coconut and 100% coconut milk)
-1 apple (this kid LOVES apples)

Snack #2:

-1/2 cup cashews
-1/2 cup carrots
-1 fresh OJ w/calcium ice pop (his siblings love these--yes they are GOOD!)

Snack #3:

-1 banana
-1 apple
-water

Dinner

-1 serving of plain chicken with 100% natural tomato sauce
-1 cup plain broccoli
-1 apple
-4 coconut macaroons
-1/8 slice Paleo cake
-1/2 cup carrots
-1 clementine
-water

Snack #4:

-1 banana
-1/2 cup cashews

Bed:

100mg Azathioprine
Calcium/Vitamin D supplement

Yes, he does eat other things, cauliflower wraps and such, but he loves eating all of this stuff and it's great to watch. At his age I was drinking maybe one or two Cokes/day, Oreos, etc. I think it's pretty good for a 10 year old and definitely not a struggle. Note the amount of fiber as well. Doesn't bother him at all.
11-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
Clash
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I had never heard of a combo of immunosuppressants, that is so interesting. Good luck with the diet!
11-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
serrickson

My Support Groups:
Quite frankly I don't think the AZA does squat for the Crohn's per se. The Euros seem to use it in severe cases where fistulization has occurred, which is what happened with John when he was 6. I'm told 100mg is a double-dose by Euro standards. I have to order the pills in 50mg tabs since no one stocks them at 50!!

The fistula was pretty bad btw. The treatment was brutal based on the location and our pediatrician had a number of heated phone calls with the GI Dr. over the treatment. Lots of fun listening to people yell at each other in German, which they did. The abscess they cut out made a hole big enough for me to insert my entire thumb up to just past my finger nail! The technique used left the hole exposed until it sealed on it's own--it took SIX MONTHS. This infuriated my pediatrician. I just went along for the ride at the time. The GI claimed that based on the amount of drainage, which was excessive, the hole needed to be left open, supplemented by drugs to reduce the chance for inflammation and infection.

Then again, at last scope in January '13, the doctor said his colon was 90% to 95% clean as compared to when he was 6, when he was suffering perianal disease--when it was considered severe. I reviewed the entire upper and lower GI session on video with the Dr., most of the problem is indeed in the ileum area, with some progression downstream--but vastly improved since John was first diagnosed. We haven't had an issue with the fistula since 6 months after it was operated on, over 3 years ago.

Thus, I'm not entirely sure why John's still on the AZA. We talked about pulling him off a year ago but it didn't happen.

Anyway, I think the doctor is worried that the fistula might return if he pulls him off AZA.

As for MTX, the 10mg/week MTX brought his calprotectin down, slowly, when we first started it in '11. Then again, it was combined with steriods at the time. After the 'riods came out, his score went up, then we went gluten free and it came down again. But the GF wasn't sanctioned by the Dr. and neither is the Paleo. Essentially, our GI Dr. has been trying to talk us into Remicade for the past year or so, then it was steroids again, but we've had all sorts of growth issues on steriods so I've frowned on it.

Quite frankly, the Paleo in combo with the AZA and MTX has been the only thing to get us significant results. Period. A Calprotectin score of 48 is just silly when you're talking about 1250 just 8 weeks prior to that--from a kid who hovered between 2500 and 3000 for over two years, then sat at 1500 for the next year... So he basically went from a very inflamed severe case that required hospitalization to well, normal. All in 8 weeks.

Of course, some might think the August Calprotetin lab was messed up. Yet, John gained 15lbs in 8 weeks and has maintained weight rather easily since his initial gain from June to August. He eats non-stop. I bet he eats 20 apples a week, 5 bags of carrots too, at least, for example. I buy cashews in bulk now. He ate an entire 3lb container of cashews in one week this summer. Before Paleo, I'd laugh at something like this. Silly. Three heads of broccoli a week, maybe two of cauliflower? I just bought him a 5lb rump roast today, maybe he'll make it last into next week, probably not.

He's on a 504 plan at school and is allowed to eat all day long. He literally jumps out of bed in the morning at 0630 and participates in recess and sports--running the mile at school twice this year--things he never did until he started Paleo. He would always throw up in the morning, not get out of bed, complain about his belly after running, throw up on the bus, throw up on car rides, soil his pants at school--he does none of this now. He hasn't complained about eating, unless he's hungry of course, since May. Our biggest issue now is simply keeping him fed. He ate 4 dozen eggs last week, does that sound like a Crohn's sufferer to you? It's insane.

Last edited by serrickson; 11-13-2013 at 06:17 PM.
11-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
serrickson

My Support Groups:
UPDATE!!!!!!

As of today, November 25, John's calprotectin is under 20!

Three years of fighting this disease strictly with meds, then 6 months of Paleo, with no changes in meds, and this is the result.
11-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
MicheleM

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Great going! You've inspired me to try paleo. I'm only on day 3, but my tummy loves it. I am not in a flare right now and am coming off bad reactions to meds. I haven't been treated with meds for over 30 years. My original diagnosis was UC, I had the surgery, so was 'cured'. Now at age 63, the docs say I have Crohn's. They tried me on meds to keep me stable, but I had severe reactions to both Aza and 6mp. I'm trying to keep myself stable with diet alone, now. My GI is also a nutrition expert, but when I asked about gluten and gut sensitivities, he dismissed it and gave me a prescription for Aza. I can't get in to see him until Feb, so by then I should know if the diet is working for me or not.

Thanks serrickson, for sharing your family's story.
12-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
serrickson

My Support Groups:
MicheleM, I hope it works out!!

It's a tough diet to follow, especially for a 9 year old in our case, but to have a kid follow it for so long now, without cheating, only proves how much better he feels. I didn't need a test to tell me how it's improved his life. We've been doing this Crohn's thing long enough in our house to see what works by now.

Might I add that everything is multiplied by 1000 when you're dealing with a pediatric Crohnie as well. It's working, for now, that's all I can say.

In our son's case, it appears that gluten (and/or its derivatives) as well as milk (and/or its derivatives) are public enemy #1.

We have autoimmune all over my wife's side, she has Hashimoto's, so she has been GFree for about 3 months now--with mixed results. My gut feeling, no pun intended, is that she could be cross-reacting with dairy, yeast, corn; take your pick. I think this cross-reaction is what is happening to our son, that is, his immune system mistakes milk fat etc. for gluten--YET he's only tested with the traditional narrow-minded gluten tests.

It explains why we had such a fast response to Paleo: he's been on 100mg Azathioprine/day and 10mg MTX/week for 2 years now. Pull out the things that make his immune system go whack, get a little help from those suppressant drugs, and there you go. A remarkably fast HUGE drop in calprotectin, after months of lost hope. His doctor is still floored. I don't think he's ever seen anything like this. Then again, most 9 year olds don't go Paleo...

Keep in mind gluten free isn't really gluten free. It's a myth. Take many GF pizzas for example, which have YEAST in them. Really?

He's no doubt gluten intolerant, per his calprotectin reaction to gluten (which dramatically drops when GF), regardless of what the "tests" say. Thus, our son is what we are now calling "intolerant" to these things, which, no matter what anybody claims--are absolutely NOT accurately accounted for by doctors!!!

You know, I had problems with milk as a baby, up to age 5 maybe? Our (smart) pediatrician didn't test me for a milk allergy or lactose (I'm 36yo btw). Instead, he had me drink milk, and had my mom observe. THEN, he explained that I was obviously having problems with the FAT in the milk. Solution? Don't drink whole milk. Skim was becoming all the rage at the time, so I began to drink skim. Problem solved. OBVIOUSLY, my pediatrician saw that I was intolerant to milk fat, not allergic to milk, and not intolerant of milk per se. I was intolerant to full-fat milk. This differential analysis has been lost by modern doctors.

Anyway, my wife cheated on her GF diet yesterday, and our son looked at her and said "I'm not cheating on my diet, that's for sure--because I feel TOO GOOD!!"

I think it took a solid 4 weeks for our son to really become a kid again. His life has truly been horrible for as long as he can remember, really.

Keep in mind he was also gluten free for four months before he started Paleo...ate a normal diet for a few months before that and GF 6 months before that (with success might I add). So he's already been GF for the better part of 18 months anyway. I just took out milk, sugar, and other grains 6 months ago.

My grandfather was a milk-man for 35 years, and a bread-man prior to WWII. So, it's a challenge to think out of the box like this. I think a ton of people are so emotionally tied to food that it's tough to consider alternatives. Quite frankly, Paleo is rather healthy, in stark contrast to what is put out there by the media. My side of the family tend to have cast iron stomachs--we eat everything--no problem!! Our oldest daughter is like this. My Grandfather is now 92 and eats a loaf of white bread a week, sometimes two loaves, and a bottle of ketchup every two weeks!! Needless to say, I feel bad about my diet at times when I look at our son. So, I have made it a challenge, for ME, to eat more fruits and veggies!! Paleo doesn't translate to meat only, keep this in mind. Veggies FIRST. Natural fats are GOOD. Modern milk, in fact, isn't natural when considering fat. My 92 year old grandfather will tell you that. Milk was actually BETTER for you in the raw. Better when the cream rose. And considering the lengths we go through in our society to have clean WATER, boiling and whatnot, ask yourself why isn't more done in regards to milk purification? I live in Europe, good luck finding milk that isn't ultra-hi temp. Euros know milk is bad for you!

You are what you eat. Also, look no further than cross-fit, the hard-core cross-fit folks that is. My neighbor does it and he's in amazing shape!!!! Paleo is the real deal, regardless of one's health status, just be careful of the diet advice you follow. In our case, we are on the strict side--we're the "no potato" Paleo type. The more you research, the more you'll understand what I mean. True Paleo means no potatoes, no alcohol--stuff like that. Other Paleo people will allow potatoes, alcohol--I've even seen sites that promo CHEESE!!! Amazing. Wrong.

Finally, keep in mind that drugs have helped in getting a quick response. For now, it's a happy marriage, but we're hoping we get off the drugs!!!
12-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
MicheleM

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Thanks for the update and info. I'm following a strict paleo diet and am now feeling the withdrawal from starch and sugar. Low energy and a bit of a flat emotional feeling. I'm going to pay more attention to my water and fat intake to help with this.

When I start feeling whiny, I picture your little boy bounding out of bed in the morning with energy for his day, and it helps me persevere. I have 2 grandsons, 8 and 4, and a baby granddaughter. Lots of motivation around me!

My dad passed away this fall at the age of 90. He drank a lot of alcohol since childhood, smoked most of his life, was addicted to sweets, never exercised. Go figure. He did love his bacon and eggs every day.

I've found lots of paleo info on the internet and am collecting and trying recipes. I'd recommend The Paleo Mom, because she has kids, and has kid-friendly ideas.

Off to the grocery store, now, for more protein and veg!

Take care.
12-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
hugh

My Support Groups:
Thanks for the update and info. I'm following a strict paleo diet and am now feeling the withdrawal from starch and sugar. Low energy and a bit of a flat emotional feeling. I'm going to pay more attention to my water and fat intake to help with this.
It does take a while but once you are over the hump it is pretty easy.

I don't want you to rush out and change what you are doing, especially if it is working for you.....
....this is just intended as food for thought, and may be useful information when you decide to review your diet, or if it isn't working as well as expected.....
Thought on paleo have changed a bit since the early days (mid 80's).
Cordain and the other originators postulated that we ate meat and veggies but it seems more likely that as part of our evolution from forest dwelling 'apes' to grassland dwelling hominids we would have relied on tubers as well (hence the amylase in our saliva ).
One problem found with some paleo dieter is that they can develop hypothyroidism (not common but not unknown) and other issues and these can often be remedied by increasing the 'safe' carbs (low toxicity glucose based carbs like tubers and white rice).
This leads me to believe that IBD and modern (neolithic?) diseases are due to toxicity rather than carbohydrates so i prefer the Perfect health diet [1] model to the SCD/old school paleo model.
It's still 'low-carb' compared to the SAD, but not nearly as low as some people are aiming for.

It's just my opinion and it still comes down to working out what works for you!
TMy dad passed away this fall at the age of 90. He drank a lot of alcohol since childhood, smoked most of his life, was addicted to sweets, never exercised. Go figure. He did love his bacon and eggs every day.
Bacon in moderation, meat from grass fed ruminants (cow,sheep,goat) and oily fish are best.
Eggs ARE a healthy food [2]

I've found lots of paleo info on the internet and am collecting and trying recipes. I'd recommend The Paleo Mom, because she has kids, and has kid-friendly ideas.

Off to the grocery store, now, for more protein and veg!
I love the paleo mom too, and she has intelligent words on carbs
"The takeaway message here is that humans can adapt to a wide range of carbohydrate intake if they are avoiding foods that cause inflammation and irritate the gut and if they are eating a balanced omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acid ratio."[3]

[1] http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/07...g-gut-disease/
[2] http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2013/11...hfulness-eggs/
[3] http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/07/o...-for-your.html

Last edited by hugh; 12-03-2013 at 05:42 AM.
12-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
MicheleM

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Thanks Hugh. I have hypothyroidism and take meds for it. My GP checks my blood every 3-4 months so I'll stay on top of that. Thanks for the nudge.

I'll check out the perfect health diet, too.

Had a fruit smoothie, egg and bacon this am. Yummy! Have a beef stew with lots of sweet potato in the crock pot for tonight.

Have a great day everyone!
12-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
serrickson

My Support Groups:
This is an interesting discussion, that doesn't happen often enough. My wife has Hypothyroidism too btw. Very interesting once you start connecting the dots! On my dad's side, the men eat like crazy, anything, with very little issue, so I tend to look at my wife's ancestry: diverticulitis, dermatitis, Celiac, hypothyroidism, etc. It seems gluten comes up A LOT, but MILK is the ignored irritant in the family. Of course, I had trouble with milk as a baby, allegedly, although nothing for most of my life...so gluten on Mom's side and milk on Dad's causing problems? Plausible.

The key is to get the idea of a "cure" out of the brain. The focus here for us is for our boy to feel better, grow, and for us to remove all irritants. I'm not trying to cure him. I think once you got this Crohn's thing, you got it for good!

If milk and gluten are irritating, why wouldn't removing them do at least some good? This isn't to say that we know 100% that milk and gluten are irritants in John based on tests etc. It's just that gluten and milk tend to come up a lot as GI irritants in general. Gluten gets all the press, but milk, wow! Indeed, it's an untold story for sure.

Milk is the common thread between industrialized nations, countries with growing GI issues. Milk is also known to cause MUCUS, which leads to complications such as ear infections, which leads to antibiotics. Our son had this scenario as a baby, as well as recurring Strep until 6. Milk and Strep tend to go hand in hand too. Then you have the whole MAP thing. Frustrating! My grandfather was a milkman!

Anyway, we had our son GF on and off in 6 months spurts and found success, but that stinking milk cleared it all up. What happened was that John lost a lot of weight, and all we could get him to eat was ice cream (and other milk products). Basically, we had him on a milk challenge (didn't realize it), and it made him really sick. He lost 10lbs; which when considering that gluten free helped, and milk was bugging him, why not go Paleo?

At this stage we're cutting any losses. It's worth it in our case. If this makes him feel better for 6 months then it's a win, as our son was considered a moderate to severe Crohn's case. If we get him through his teen years without surgery because of this, it'll be unreal.

A year ago, pre-Paleo, our specialist told us that surgery was inevitable within a few years. Now, he's very optimistic and opted to hold off on his routine bloodwork until February, which tells me that the doctor is confident. During our last visit he was shocked and could not stop talking about how good John looked.

I think once a person finds what works for them, the results are in your face. With our son, for example, once we took out milk and the gluten--the hunger came back and it was like he hadn't eaten in months. You can't imagine how much he ate the first 6 weeks. He had been starving.

The key is putting together a good diet. I say it over and over: Paleo is not a "meat diet" and when done correctly, it is very healthy. You have to be a student of it, and in fact, it's quite fun! Eliminating those sugars is something we all need to do for our health anyway!! It's a challenge and that's what makes it fun.

A ton of sites exist on Paleo. I've checked out Paleo Mom. Sebastien Noel's website is one of the best in my opinion, probably my go-to website at this point. He does a great job at explaining things and providing just enough science to back it. Then there are the FODMAPS folks, it's worth looking this up too.
12-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #15
MicheleM

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Hi serrickson, Just an update on my paleo experiment. I'm almost one month into it and feeling really good. My GI doc phoned me 2 weeks ago and said he wanted to do a scope to see how much inflammation I have, and talked about other meds I could try, since I can't tolerate Aza and 6mp. Had the scope 2 days ago, and.....very SMALL amount of inflammation. He recommends no meds at this time. I think he was a bit surprised, as he was expecting a 'fair bit of inflammation'. (I had a major blockage mid Oct.) Paleo? Who knows? But I'm sticking with it.

I hope your son is still doing well, and that your family has a very happy and healthy Christmas.
12-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
serrickson

My Support Groups:
Hi MicheleM! Wow, a small amount of inflammation is great news! Getting off the meds is such an awesome thing. This is where we're trying to get to.

Our son is still doing really well--growing in height--and his weight has stabilized (don't want him too big). We don't run another Calprotectin test until February, so we'll know numbers then. I guess I could run a sample over for giggles, but I know by now when things aren't good. And things are great! Why bother?

Quick question: what were your issues with medications? I'm interested because it's difficult getting straight answers from a 10yo! His medications could be making life miserable but we'd never know...typical 10yo boy I suppose...

Keep up on the Paleo. The more I read about it, about milk/gluten/sugar, the more I feel bad about my own diet. Interestingly, I've found a lot of great information on Vegan websites too, even though there are obvious differences between the two lifestyles, they do share some common ground.

I just can't get over the difference that Paleo has made for us. I attached an image of a table I created a few weeks ago that depicts the stool protein changes as compared to dietary changes--so you can see the trends we've dealt with.

I hope you have best of luck giving this thing a shot. Anything is worth a try! Thanks for keeping me updated!! FEEL GREAT!

EDIT--I do want to point out the obvious contribution of MTX during the initial drop in Calprotectin. I'm not putting it all on GF. Maybe it was MTX [only] that drove down the Calprotectin? Of course, once off GF in July '12, the test score more than tripled by November. To me, this suggested that GF played a role as an irritant ('roids were used until Nov). Then once the milk came out the following May '13, the score dropped completely, as you can see--without the use of steroids too--which we thought was a useful medication.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Calpro.jpg (86.6 KB, 431 views)
12-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #17
MicheleM

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Wow, that's quite a story told by your chart. Thank you for sharing it!

My issues with medication: Started Aza, after 3 days began experiencing nausea. It increased in severity over the next week, then I came down with chills, fever and vomiting. I spent an overnight in the emergency room, with anti-nausea medication and Tylenol for the fever. Blood work showed no infection, so the docs agreed with me that I was intolerant to Aza. I went a week without meds to clear my system. I took one 6mp tablet at 10 pm and by 3:30 am., I was vomiting, nauseous, and had chills and fever. The GI nurse said only 5% of patients react like this. I began following the Paleo diet right after my intolerance symptoms cleared up. The GI doctor and I discussed alternate medications and we decided to try Entocort (a steroid), if the scope showed that I was still inflamed. After the scope, I woke up and read the note left by the doctor: small amount of inflammation, no meds at this time, will follow symptoms.

I think many patients experience some nausea from these medications, but the fever reaction is a big stop sign for me. As the medications were working their way out of my body, I also had aching muscles(like a flu virus) and red blotches on my arms and legs.

I've decided to keep away from grains and milk products for another 3 months. Then I might try a bit of cheese to see what happens. Before I do, I'll do some research into this, as I seem to remember coming across some info about specific additives in the cheese-making process that may be intolerant for some people. There may be some types of cheese that are less likely to cause an intolerance. As you say, it's a challenge and that's what makes it fun.

I'm so glad to hear that John is still doing well. You're doing a great job!

And deepest thanks to this forum. I have learned so much about the various medications used to treat Crohn's and have learned from the experiences of others.
I know there is a role for medications and would take them if/when I need them, but I also believe that my diet changes are helping my body heal and become stronger. Crohn's will always be with me. I just have to learn how to manage it.

Anyway, tomorrow is Christmas Eve, and another busy day. Take care!
12-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #18
serrickson

My Support Groups:
That's quite interesting regarding the fevers/chills. When John was at his most *recent* sickest (last March-May '13) he had unexplained fevers--coming between noon and 3pm. Nausea and vomiting were present as well, at times. Of course, he was on Azathioprine, a 100mg dose, which he had taken at night. He's been on this 100mg since August '10 and still is. This is primarily to help treat and prevent fistula reoccurrence.

During this period of time John only wanted Carnation Instant Breakfast, starting it at around 7am, usually finishing it at school. Then, MAYBE, he'd have a handful of Chex at school by noon, and then the fevers. This is when I was really questioning milk, and thus feeding him whatever he wanted, as the doctor suggested... Maybe the meds made the milk issue more magnified? Who knows?

As for steroids, all they've done for us is stunt his growth and make him eat. Of course, what does a kid want to eat when hungry? Pizza, junk, etc. So judging by my chart, the steroids only contributed to the inflammation, making him hungry as steroids tend to do, but giving us what we thought was carte blanche to feed him whatever we pleased. We thought: he's hungry, this MUST be good, so let's give him smoothies with milk, and pizza, and whatever he wants! Stay away from fiber the doctor said. The more and more I think about it, all of this was a fake hunger, creating the Crohn's cycle a lot of people go through.

Anyway, we've thrown the Crohn's diet books out the window. Today, John had 3 apples, 1 cup raw carrots, a banana, two Paleo cocoa muffins--made with high fiber coconut flour & eggs, almond flour chicken nuggets, 2 cups bagged coleslaw (with homemade dressing), a Larabar, 1/2 cup cashews, 25 almonds, a 100% OJ juice ice pop, 1oz square of 85% Cacao chocolate (it's Xmas! c'mon), two clementines, and quite a large portion of pot roast!

This is a typical day, sometimes he eats more, but never anything less. He eats ALL day, non-stop, and finds food on his own--a critical indication of his health. I force nothing. Also, food for thought, his skin color is awesome and his breathe doesn't smell bad. The breathe was a huge clue, and disappeared a few weeks after he started Paleo. Like, knock your socks off bad breathe. It's these signs that strengthen our resolve. Another big symptom was pain under his right rib, clearly an indicator of ileum inflammation, but ONLY during running. We were none the wiser until last basketball season. After starting Paleo, the pain went away after a few weeks... He weighs 90lbs and is actually big for his height, but can now run the timed mile at school in around 9mins, stopping once! I couldn't do this at 10yo, this is for certain!

Another thing, I keep a dairy and have been doing so for nearly 4 years. I was religious on it the first two, but I still update it. It's a Godsend, about the size of a novel by now I guess, 100k+ words?? When I go back I just start connecting dots.

On the meds, they do have their role. If we're on more mild scripts along with Paleo, forever, I'm cool with that. I wasn't cool with John having uncontrolled very high inflammation, and my doctor clueless as to how to treat it, telling me about the odds of future surgery and getting him "a few good years" on Remicade. This seems standard talk but I'm not buying it, at least not for everybody.

Well, Happy Holidays, it's bedtime here in Germany! Thanks for the updates and keep me posted. I don't have a ton of Paleo recipes, since John likes things plain and raw, but I do have a few lifesavers (and a few tricks i.e. Larabars and BABY FOOD). Yes, in a pinch, I've grabbed baby food pouches! Not the best necessarily, but it works.
12-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #19
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
serrickson,

What is the burger recipe your kid loves so much??

01-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #20
serrickson

My Support Groups:
Haha, burger recipe: basically take lean beef and smash it into a patty then put it on the George Foreman until done!

As time goes on I realize that he was indeed starving--starving for iron, B12, etc. He was particularly deficient in iron. After his last haircut, I noticed that his hair isn't brittle, it's shiny now, and I'm thinking that's the B12 he's now absorbing. So beyond hunger, I think he craved plain beef for what he lacked in nutrition.

His appetite has moved away from meat now, maybe once/day. He's better understanding the nutritional aspect involved here, and so it's easier for me to talk him into new things. He eats mostly raw fruits, veggies, and nuts. He eats all day long, which is great. I can gauge him a lot better because of this habit. It's 5:30pm here--and he's been eating since he got home from school at 3:30! Paleo is cool because of this! If you follow it correctly, you most certainly can eat all day long. And most importantly, you want to!!

He likes food separated, particularly fruits/veggies, and he hates them cooked. So on the one hand it's easy for me, on the other hand, I HAVE to have fresh cut produce in the house. Thus, on Paleo, you really don't need recipes. He's not a recipe kind of kid so it's a happy marriage.

Take my roast recipe for example. I'll get a 4lb tip roast (which is leaner) and set my crock-pot on low, add about 1/2 cup of water, drop in the roast and let it cook for 8+ hours. I like to flip it at 4hrs, but totally optional. It basically falls apart, and that's how John eats it. Personally, I could eat the entire thing. You could make gravy, but he never liked it anyway. In the real world, haha, one would make tacos out of this meat too--which on Paleo you would make cauliflower/egg tortillas (very healthy btw).

He likes plain pork chops with mustard, just 20-25mins in the oven at 400F.

He likes meatballs--take lean beef, add parsley and tomato paste (if you're into that) garlic powder and maybe some dried onion or onion powder. Totally legal. We've put almond flour in these too for vitamin E.

He likes avocado pudding (yes chocolate is legit on Paleo **not on SCD** but it has to be dairy free with very low sugar or 100% pure). Basically I'll puree 2 very ripe avocados, and add 3TB coconut oil, 1/4 cup coconut milk, 3TB pure cocoa powder, 1oz 100% baking chocolate, 2-3TB honey, 1 tsp vanilla. The recipe also calls for pureed dates (6) and 1tsp instant coffee but I simply add more honey to taste. Our 2 year old LOVES this recipe too, I eat it as well, a very easy way to get dark chocolate and avocado into your diet! And up to 50% of your daily fiber in one avocado!!

He likes a Paleo chocolate muffin I make as well. Very portable and something I now eat instead of, well, other junk. It tastes good and is healthy. I make them with coconut oil mostly, but I've begun to use light olive oil exclusively and they stay really moist! I LOVE THEM! He likes them too.

Another thing I do is bread pork chops and chicken with almond flour and tapioca, using egg as a binder. I bake them but of course you can fry them. Baking requires a bit of finesse as almonds don't like to stick to anything!

I make nut balls, similar to Larabars. It's easy: grind up maybe 1/2 cup cashews and/or almonds until it's like almost a flour, then add in dates, I use Dole bagged whole and pitted (b/c no sugar). The dates need to be chopped, but add about 15 and process them in the food processor. Add a little coconut oil and maybe 1/2 cup unsweetened finely chopped coconut ( I live in Germany so this is very easy to find cheaply). Process everything until it crumbles/sticks together. Add more dates to make stickier. Smash into a huge ball as hard as you can, then scoop TB sized balls out with a TBspoon. Mash together tightly and roll into a ball carefully. Roll in unsweetened coconut. Very good. Waaay cheaper than Larabars. The variations are endless.

John also eats, *laugh*, babyfood at times--the squeeze packs made for toddlers. This is a good way to get in nutrition on the go. No spoon? No problem. I eat the squeeze packs too, so who cares?

I make him ice pops out of fortified fresh OJ.

He eats salad almost everyday. I basically take bagged coleslaw and use that. For dressing, I combine Bragg's apple cider vinegar with some honey, garlic powder, and dry mustard. I add in light olive oil (b/c that's what he likes) to taste. Very good--no sugar or other garbage--cheap and easy to make.

My newest thing is bone broth. Look it up, very healthy and good no matter what your ailment. You can make it from a whole boiled chicken! I'll boil a chicken down and use the meat for BBQ. Then I crockpot the carcass (everything) with some apple cider vinegar for 16+ hours, with carrots etc too. Strain it and it makes an interesting broth. Basically how broth is supposed to taste!! In this case, you control the concentration, you could add a ton of bones too. Plus all that gelatin is supposed to be excellent for your gut, not to mention the marrow.

John eats a variety of foods that a typical Crohn's patient is suggested not to eat. Like nuts! No problems. He also eats a ton of fiber. His newest thing is to eat pineapple and sauerkraut! He can't have dairy, so why not sauerkraut to get the good belly bacteria?

When he was sick he wouldn't have even considered this combination. But we are taught to stop the symptoms, not the underlying inflammation. With John, I was always able to slow down his symptoms (diarrhea, nausea, etc) but could never stop the underlying inflammation. Remove the irritating foods, milk and gluten being #1 and #2, and now we're in business! Sure, I was able to stop the diarrhea by giving him crackers and plain grains all day, toast for example, just like grandma and my doctor would suggest, but this was only exacerbating the inflammation. Yet we were content because it was lessening the more acute symptoms. It's a bad way to think.
01-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #21
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
What kind of Cashews does he eat? Are they salted?
01-24-2014, 06:02 PM   #22
hugh

My Support Groups:
My Burger recipe:
200gms Mince
1 Grated carrot
1 Small Onion -Grated (squeeze liquid off after grating)
1 egg

Mix with fingers
Fry

Works for meatza base too
01-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #23
ReeSquee

I;ve been doing some reading on the paleo diet & I want to try. I guess I am just a little confused b/c paleo has such an emphasis on nuts, and thats the one thing that my doctor was really specific about staying away from. Is it still possible to follow the paleo diet w/o nuts, or will it be too challenging?
01-29-2014, 02:38 AM   #24
hugh

My Support Groups:
I;ve been doing some reading on the paleo diet & I want to try. I guess I am just a little confused b/c paleo has such an emphasis on nuts, and thats the one thing that my doctor was really specific about staying away from. Is it still possible to follow the paleo diet w/o nuts, or will it be too challenging?
Paleo without nuts is fine, just a bit more limited
Some paleo people all for nuts, many as you want, grow on trees don't they?
Others are pretty serious about limiting them. For example Chris Kresser[1]

Depends on how well you tolerate them on a number of levels, from 'what chunky sharp nuts passing through an ulcerated intestine feels like', to how much phytic acid you can tolerate or excrete before it reduces your ability to absorb iron.

There are so many great paleo sites but many overstate the role of cakes and baking
They should be a small part of a healthy persons diet, and maybe an even smaller part of an unhealthy persons diet

Nuts are paleo but excessive nuts are not.
How many is too many?

Diets like Paleo Auto-immune protocol recommend the exclusion of all nuts (and quite a few other things ) and then a staggered reintroduction or 'testing' to see if there is a reaction. SCD recommends total exclusion for the intro stage and a gradual reintroduction starting with smooth almond milk yougurt, moving up to smooth nut butters, then flours and gradually on to well chewed whole nuts.

In my own diet i try to emulate the Perfect Health Diet [2] (paleo with rice?).

[1] Another reason you shouldn’t go nuts on nuts
Chris Kresser
http://chriskresser.com/another-reas...o-nuts-on-nuts
[2] The Perfect Health Diet
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/the-diet/
01-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #25
serrickson

My Support Groups:
Paleo has unfortunately hit "fad status" in the U.S., which hurts those of us who really need it for medical sake.

To address the diet in general, the emphasis is key. The general public thinks "meat and nuts" and then wants to gorge on cakes and cookies and still be Paleo. It's messed up. Even on Paleo, nuts are considered a small component, at the proverbial top of the food pyramid. Are they bad? No, the bad part comes from Dr. fears that the nuts could cause a blockage etc. for those Crohnie's with mechanical problems. There are also fears with anti-nutrients in nuts (which many claim can be mitigated through soaking, like people do for beans) AND there is the very real omega 3:6 ratio, AND the sizable amount of calories in nuts...

My son has no mechanical issues to speak of, and he takes fish oil. He also doesn't eat nuts like he use to, so the issues with blockage, omega 3:6 ratio, and anti-nutrients seem to be marginal for him. Early on he ate cashews by the pound (bad ones too--Planters Salted--which aren't 100% Paleo btw) but he did so because his body was starving for those nutrients. Just like when he ate $30 of burger/week, because his body was starving for fat (energy) and iron. Amazingly, once the doctor ran bloodwork and found his iron to be normal for the first time in 3 years, John cut waaay back on the red meat, on his own. It's like his body didn't need it as much.

The body is an amazing thing. But what's more amazing is that our GPs, folks who have actually attended esteemed medical institutions, more often than not have about as much experience with nutrition as you or I do. Most probably have never taken a nutrition course in med school. Ask your doctor, my doctor wouldn't answer this question

As far as our son, he's seeing the doctor next week, February 3rd '14. He's over 90lbs now, up 21lbs I think since last June? From last April '13 to this past November '13 he grew 1.25" which is great. But guess what? Since November, he's grown another 1" maybe 1.25" according to my measurements. So the velocity is waaay up, ballpark same height, he did in 2 months what he previously did in 7. He has not growth spurted like this since before 6yo.

As far as the meatballs/burgers:

Paleo Apple Meatballs (my own recipe)

Ingredients

3lbs – Ground Beef (or a combination)
2 Eggs
2 Shredded Apples
1 Cup – Almond Flour
1/4 Cup – Parsley
1/2 tsp – Black Pepper
1 tsp – Dry Mustard
1 tsp – Garlic Powder

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Mix the wet ingredients, and then add the dry ingredients from a separate bowl.
3. Combine all ingredients well with a large spoon or mix with your hands. Then shape meat into balls using a tablespoon.
4. Place the balls on a baking dish/cookie sheet/whatever and bake for 25 minutes or until golden and cooked through.

The meatballs are a little bland for me, but I have FOUR kids under 10 and they all eat them like crazy. I made SIX pounds tonight. For almond flour balls--they won't BURN or DRY OUT--thanks to the apple. Almond flour meatballs usually taste rather blaaaa, but these aren't bad at all, considering the nutrition. You could sub out the apples for apple sauce too.

Once a week I'll make this same recipe with canned SALMON. For this recipe, I add natural bacon, fried plain pork belly in fact, and boy are they good. But I love salmon no matter how I get it (can or fresh). No need for mayo btw...

Lots of Paleo recipes are horrible, but there are some creative items out there, you just have to look! Stick to those veggies, cooked or raw. We should be eating more veggies anyway! Now THIS is Paleo! Not meat 24/7.
01-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #26
serrickson

My Support Groups:
Btw, Hugh is right on with the nuts. Basically the message is that a "one-size-fits-all" Paleo doesn't exist. SCD is essentially the Paleo Diet, with a few additions (like the yogurt; some cheeses) and some deletions (CHOCOLATE). Then there is the autoimmune protocol, as was stated, also FODMAPS Paleo (which focuses on minimizing natural sugars). Then you have the whole Paleo potato war that rages, then FATS; it's intriguing stuff.

For us, we take SCD and traditional Paleo and put them side by side. We are basically 100% Paleo, but I reference SCD religiously. They are SO close. The big gap for us is chocolate, which doesn't seem to be a problem for John. So we roll with it. Potatoes are OUT. Other than potatoes and chocolate, we are 100% Paleo. We focus on variety. Or try to!
01-30-2014, 12:23 AM   #27
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
Well, I'm not on 100% Paleo, or 100% SCD, but I haven't consumed any grains since December 29th.

I'm pretty sure I'm feeling good. I'm trying to spread my remicades out to 6 weeks instead of 4. Right now I'm in week 5, and I'm feeling fine. The one ingredient I use that is illegal is butter. I'm sorry, but I can't eat things that don't taste good. If adding some butter to some of my chicken or steak is going to make it not only taste good, but mouth watering, then I have to do it.

I did kind of exploit hot dogs early on too, and noticed I was feeling pretty crappy. I didn't know hot dogs contained starch fillers until I researched into it. Once I stopped I noticed my energy level picking up.

I am also turning into a fantastic cook, especially with meats. I use foodwishes.com. Chef John is great.

Steak, Chicken, Garlic Shrimp, Scallops. I'm still learning, but wow. I never thought I could make those meats taste so good. I guess thats what a little butter sauce and salt will do to things.

One day at a time though. I'm not hoping for anything honestly. I KNOW eating this way is going to make me feel better, I'm noticing already.
01-30-2014, 02:35 AM   #28
hugh

My Support Groups:
The one ingredient I use that is illegal is butter. I'm sorry, but I can't eat things that don't taste good.
Butter is not paleo but it is 'primal' and it is accepted buy most(?) paleo dieters if it doesn't cause any problems.
I cook meat in lamb fat or coconut oil but i always use butter or ghee for eggs

I did kind of exploit hot dogs early on too, and noticed I was feeling pretty crappy. I didn't know hot dogs contained starch fillers until I researched into it. Once I stopped I noticed my energy level picking up.
Hot dogs are probable as far from paleo as one can get.
No processed, fillered and flavoured reclaimed sludge squirted into shapes is ever gonna be paleo (and i mean meat or grain)
Glad you gave them up

I am also turning into a fantastic cook, especially with meats. I use foodwishes.com. Chef John is great.
Steak, Chicken, Garlic Shrimp, Scallops. I'm still learning, but wow. I never thought I could make those meats taste so good. I guess thats what a little butter sauce and salt will do to things.
Real food No going back now.
01-30-2014, 06:50 AM   #29
serrickson

My Support Groups:
Haha--hot dogs--being in Germany we of course have the best wurst in the world!!! That's from an American.

I let John have brats during the Xmas market season here, this year, and I'd have to say that I didn't think he was 100%. This is especially true since he's been kicking butt with his diet ever since xmas. Basically every weekend for a month he'd have a few sausages, mostly red. They tend to get regional here, so further east we were eating links rather than brats. Dogs can contain all sorts of things, even the red ones here sometimes have milk powder in them...

You do realize the you can make your own butter at home, with real butter of course. One simply cooks it, then skims off the cream. I've never done it. You can also buy ghee. Depending on what you're making, there are a ton of workarounds. Olive oil, especially extra light, works really well for baking pretty much everything. Everybody talks about coconut oil, which is great, but light olive oil works just as well. I mix things up for nutritional variety. I've made non-paleo cookies with olive oil (the quaker oats recipe) and my non-Crohn's kids love them. Just check the smoke point. People say you can't use olive oil for everything, but they're wrong, they use it in everything in Europe--even frying pommes (french fries).

If you like bacon, you can save the grease and sauté with it to add flavor, just like G-ma did. One cool thing with Paleo is that I'm discovering cooking methods from long ago. My mom ALWAYS saved grease from everything and put it in a tin can in the fridge. Then with the whole "fat is bad" movement, people stopped doing that. Now, everybody is realizing that fat is actually good, mom was right! It's like the whole egg battle, nuts. One simply has to educate and keep a food diary.

I actual refuse to buy salad dressing from the store, after experimenting with Paleo versions at home. G-ma made her own dressing, why not me? Mine has honey and no refined sugar. Tastes better too, and no salt. So don't knock goofy ideas until you try it. Nevertheless, butter tastes pretty good so I hear 'ya on that one! I just know that with John milk is a huge no-no, along with grains.

Food is a funny thing, we are very attached to it. To get our family where we are today we had to rethink and reinvent the wheel. Like I've said before, my grandfather was a bread-man in the late 1930s and '40s, and then a milk-man from the late '40s into the mid-1980s. So to exclude milk and grains from John's diet was quite a paradigm shift indeed. But it is working, so why not?
01-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #30
ReeSquee

Diets like Paleo Auto-immune protocol recommend the exclusion of all nuts (and quite a few other things ) and then a staggered reintroduction or 'testing' to see if there is a reaction. SCD recommends total exclusion for the intro stage and a gradual reintroduction starting with smooth almond milk yougurt, moving up to smooth nut butters, then flours and gradually on to well chewed whole nuts.

In my own diet i try to emulate the Perfect Health Diet [2] (paleo with rice?).

[1] Another reason you shouldn’t go nuts on nuts
Chris Kresser
http://chriskresser.com/another-reas...o-nuts-on-nuts
[2] The Perfect Health Diet
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/the-diet/
That website is super helpful! I'm glad that the Paleo diet doesn't HAVE to include so many nuts. I've already stopped drinking regular milk & feel WAY better. I think I'm just gonna go for it and do the perfect diet! I like the idea of easing myself back into nuts after a while and seeing how i do....I'm hoping I can at least be able to have peanut butter or almond butter agian some day :/