• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Returning to Exercise

I thought I'd make my first post on the forum here and make it a success story about returning to exercising.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in December last year after what I thought was a really bad gastro bug just wouldn't go away. I spent 10 days in hospital and my GI started treating me with Infliximab as Prednisone wasn't that effective a treatment. I was put on sick leave for 2 months (which I came to love) but am now back at work full time and have almost finished my Prednisone taper (only 10 days left at 5mg per day). I've also been on Salofalk for the past month.

Before I got sick I trained in Tae Kwon Do 3 times a week (2 of the sessions I taught a class) and also did a pole dancing class once a week. I've chosen to give up the teaching for the next little while until I work out what having Crohn's means for me and how it will impact on my life in the longer term.

For the last 3 weeks I've been back at Tae Kwon Do once a week and tomorrow will be my first pole class since mid-November. I really missed the exercise as it was such a big part of my life and I appreciate it even more now!

Hi Denise! I am so glad to hear you are doing so well! I am undiagnosed at this point but have been battling something which really seems to be Crohn's. All tests that have been done so far have come back negative, but I believe they are false. I am finishing up a course to become a certified fitness trainer and about to submit my final, but around the Christmas holidays my problems started flaring up and things have been going downhill since. I have been too miserable to work out and I feel so out of shape it is driving me crazy. I will probably force myself to try today! I know what you mean about missing the exercise and realizing how much you really do appreciate it! Aside from helping to be physically healthy, it helps a lot with the depression often associated with these disorders.

dave13

Forum Monitor
I thought I'd make my first post on the forum here and make it a success story about returning to exercising.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in December last year after what I thought was a really bad gastro bug just wouldn't go away. I spent 10 days in hospital and my GI started treating me with Infliximab as Prednisone wasn't that effective a treatment. I was put on sick leave for 2 months (which I came to love) but am now back at work full time and have almost finished my Prednisone taper (only 10 days left at 5mg per day). I've also been on Salofalk for the past month.

Before I got sick I trained in Tae Kwon Do 3 times a week (2 of the sessions I taught a class) and also did a pole dancing class once a week. I've chosen to give up the teaching for the next little while until I work out what having Crohn's means for me and how it will impact on my life in the longer term.

For the last 3 weeks I've been back at Tae Kwon Do once a week and tomorrow will be my first pole class since mid-November. I really missed the exercise as it was such a big part of my life and I appreciate it even more now!
I was diagnosed with crohn's in November after a bowel resection.I had an inguinal hernia surgery(I suffered the hernia during post-op for the resection)three weeks ago.I'm starting to become more active now my surgeon says I can,as long as I don't overdo.I use stories like yours for inspiration to get me going.I've lost a lot of muscle while being inactive.I'll start with walking,yoga and see where it takes me!I am currently in remission and want to take advantage of the time and get as healthy as crohn's will let me.I don't think you will see me in pole classes though:smile: Keep the faith

I was also diagnosed with CD in december and am finally returning to workout tomorrow! I'm so happy for you that you found out and can return to what you love! I'm nervous but excited :)